ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

Religious views. He has been quoted as saying his religion takes top priority in his decisions making.

“I am a christian, conservative, and a republican, in that order”

That instantly makes him disqualified to be president imo. Wonder where the constitution falls in his priorities?

The constitution doesn’t fall within any of the current candidates priorities. This government hasn’t worked under the constitution in decades. Most elected officials piss on it daily.

Serious question @tarheel0910 , @dadika13 and @heelmanwilm , is your dislike of Pence because of his religious views or something else? I know very little about him other than he is deeply religious.

Nah, a person's religion doesn't bother me at all. If they are fanatical then it's an issue to be the leader of our country, but from what I know of Pence I don't think he falls into that realm.

My issue with him is that his feelings on a lot of things are from like the 1930's. The guy thought cigarettes weren't dangerous, thinks gays are the devil, and that the Earth is 3,000 years old. Being a conservative is fine...being a conservative from the Depression Era is not fine.

Nah, a person's religion doesn't bother me at all. If they are fanatical then it's an issue to be the leader of our country, but from what I know of Pence I don't think he falls into that realm.

My issue with him is that his feelings on a lot of things are from like the 1930's. The guy thought cigarettes weren't dangerous, thinks gays are the devil, and that the Earth is 3,000 years old. Being a conservative is fine...being a conservative from the Depression Era is not fine.
Thanks

Reactions: dadika13
Oh, and, fvck Joe Biden, too! That's another fossilized DC lifer who has been on the Democratic Candidate Wheel for about a century. God only knows how much legalized political crimes he's been a part of in his "career."

Saw this posted in another forum, what do you think?

On a serious note, and this is where I'm at, how many cons and libs would be in favor of doing some serious house cleaning and trying to find out who's corrupt, regardless of party, and send them all packing?

Yes, I know, the Hill would be a ghost town, but seriously. What would happen if we all agreed to that? To me, there's little point in debating Trump's corruption. Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows he is.

But why should we stop with Trump? Let's do some serious house cleaning. Seriously.

Whistle blower complaint has been released. Looks like one of those situations where the cover up ends up being the issue and not the "crime."

Whistle blower complaint has been released. Looks like one of those situations where the cover up ends up being the issue and not the "crime."
Here is my take on this

“You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if this body determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role,” the politician said. “Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is aboutcleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”

So apparently Trump has been misusing the national security systems to cover up conversations that his team thinks are politically damaging. If that's true, and depending on the content, then Trump might not survive a senate trial.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Here is my take on this

“You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if this body determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role,” the politician said. “Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is aboutcleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”

I'd argue impeachment hearings in the past have been about anything but honor and integrity.

Johnson was a racist who vetoed anything non racist until they impeached him. The result? He wasn't convicted and actually got elected to the senate after his presidency winning that election because blacks in Tennessee still couldn't vote.

Nixon resigned then was pardoned by Ford and he lived out his life in wealth in Saddle River, NJ.

Clinton wasn't convicted and finished out his term without any punishment. He is currently living a great life.

Can I have an example where honor and integrity were upheld?

Reactions: strummingram
I'd argue impeachment hearings in the past have been about anything but honor and integrity.

Johnson was a racist who vetoed anything non racist until they impeached him. The result? He wasn't convicted and actually got elected to the senate after his presidency winning that election because blacks in Tennessee still couldn't vote.

Nixon resigned then was pardoned by Ford and he lived out his life in wealth in Saddle River, NJ.

Clinton wasn't convicted and finished out his term without any punishment. He is currently living a great life.

Can I have an example where honor and integrity were upheld?
I can’t give you one....

Pretty damning stuff. All I can think for his defense is that it seems like it's a lot of he said she said stuff and I don't know who will go on the record to confirm all of this.
If just one comes forward, it will snowball into more of them. If he really has been misusing the security systems, then it's game over for him. The cover up will be his downfall.

ETA: Interesting subplot. If he were to get kicked out, the statute of limitations will have not run out on obstruction. Remember, a determination was never reached on that. In theory he could still be prosecuted for that.

I won't dive deep into all the debate on whether DJT should be or will be impeached, but what has come out so far via the call transcript and whistleblower report - seems like a tough uphill slog to get to "high crimes and misdemeanors" especially in the eyes (votes) of a required 67 (?) Senators to convict. Not even sure when all is said and done, Pelosi can round up the House votes needed to impeach. Plenty of Ds in swing districts are going to be pretty skittish.

Adam Schiff is not helping. He made up his own version of the Ukraine call transcript, and when he got called on it, he said his was "just a parody". Not an ideal time to trot out your stand-up routine, Adam.

The Dems unfortunately have the reality of the other things they've tried to bring DJT down on, and have failed to date, so that colors the mostly-checked-out society's take on this I think. They will see it as Ds crying wolf, or just another attempt to take DJT down because Orange Man Bad - now, regardless of the actual potential merit of the charges.

DJT is a despicable personal character, unintelligent, egomaniac, policy-illiterate buffoon. Garbage human. IOW - perfect for DC politics. But I don't think that is enough to get him impeached.... a truckload of character and integrity and discernment / decision making flaws.

FWIW - I see that the one D pres candidate that has come out explicitly against impeachment is Tulsi Gabbard. Not that she likes DJT - she knows what and who DJT is as much or more than the next candidate does. She just seems to be immune to the angry persons on far left that seem to have let hatred of DJT to consume them and damage their reasoning to a point of "damn the info and the probability of impeachment success, full speed ahead". You could say this attitude and demand for impeachment may actually help DJT get elected.

In a sane logical non-partisan world, I think Ds should nominate Tulsi, and that's who DJT should fear the most. Its hard to see how the D party will even allow her to make the cut much longer. They seem pretty locked in on pre-winnowing the field to Warren (frontrunner now IMO), Biden (fading fast I think), and Bernie (hit his ceiling on day 1 I think). Nobody else has a chance IMO.

But Tulsi would appeal to so many moderates, independents, etc. If I had to vote for one person in the primary, I'm sure now it'd be her.

Yea hes a young earth creationist. Now i’m all for religious freedom and if he chooses to believe that then fine. But heres the prob. To believe the earth AND THE UNIVERSE is under ten thousand yrs old denies alllllll the science concerning the fossil record, doppler shift, continental drift, carbon dating, geology, anthrpology, linguistics, dna....it goes on and on. To have the capacity to dismiss all this in favor of a religious belief is certainly your right, but tells me you deny reality in favor of your interpretation of your religion and as such you have no business in the white house.

Yea hes a young earth creationist. Now i’m all for religious freedom and if he chooses to believe that then fine. But heres the prob. To believe the earth AND THE UNIVERSE is under ten thousand yrs old denies alllllll the science concerning the fossil record, doppler shift, continental drift, carbon dating, geology, anthrpology, linguistics, dna....it goes on and on. To have the capacity to dismiss all this in favor of a religious belief is certainly your right, but tells me you deny reality in favor of your interpretation of your religion and as such you have no business in the white house.
My brother's 2nd wife is a former Jehovah's Witness. I wasn't very familiar with them, I'll admit. But, she has explained quite a bit of their rhetoric, rituals, tenants, whatever. I gotta give them credit; They actually abide by "rules" that actually align with the beliefs so as to not cause a great deal of conflict. They don't aspire to fame or any kind of secular advancement (except for Prince). They don't expose themselves to very much contemporary news or information of what is going on in secular society. Sorta like the Amish, but they live among the rest of us. My favorite part was when it came to being in need of medical knowledge and procedure. Regardless, they seem to "keep it real" for the belief system. I was rather astonished at how they make the other denominations look like posers and amateurs who delude themselves and have no sense of awareness of it. And if they do, they shamelessly accept the double standard and show pride in being a hypocrite. Jehovah's Witnesses don't vote or participate in the political process. Again, that deserves my respect. Don't serve God and Man, as the Scriptures say.

I won't dive deep into all the debate on whether DJT should be or will be impeached, but what has come out so far via the call transcript and whistleblower report - seems like a tough uphill slog to get to "high crimes and misdemeanors" especially in the eyes (votes) of a required 67 (?) Senators to convict. Not even sure when all is said and done, Pelosi can round up the House votes needed to impeach. Plenty of Ds in swing districts are going to be pretty skittish.

Adam Schiff is not helping. He made up his own version of the Ukraine call transcript, and when he got called on it, he said his was "just a parody". Not an ideal time to trot out your stand-up routine, Adam.

The Dems unfortunately have the reality of the other things they've tried to bring DJT down on, and have failed to date, so that colors the mostly-checked-out society's take on this I think. They will see it as Ds crying wolf, or just another attempt to take DJT down because Orange Man Bad - now, regardless of the actual potential merit of the charges.

DJT is a despicable personal character, unintelligent, egomaniac, policy-illiterate buffoon. Garbage human. IOW - perfect for DC politics. But I don't think that is enough to get him impeached.... a truckload of character and integrity and discernment / decision making flaws.

FWIW - I see that the one D pres candidate that has come out explicitly against impeachment is Tulsi Gabbard. Not that she likes DJT - she knows what and who DJT is as much or more than the next candidate does. She just seems to be immune to the angry persons on far left that seem to have let hatred of DJT to consume them and damage their reasoning to a point of "damn the info and the probability of impeachment success, full speed ahead". You could say this attitude and demand for impeachment may actually help DJT get elected.

In a sane logical non-partisan world, I think Ds should nominate Tulsi, and that's who DJT should fear the most. Its hard to see how the D party will even allow her to make the cut much longer. They seem pretty locked in on pre-winnowing the field to Warren (frontrunner now IMO), Biden (fading fast I think), and Bernie (hit his ceiling on day 1 I think). Nobody else has a chance IMO.

But Tulsi would appeal to so many moderates, independents, etc. If I had to vote for one person in the primary, I'm sure now it'd be her.
The problem is the cover up. It's not the actual call.

Yes, the WH did nothing wrong and tried to cover it up. I understand completely now.
Obviously you don't. According to the white house they did something wrong. Why would you hide a legit phone call? Another issue is him doing it multiple times. If that's true then it's over for him.

Obviously you don't. According to the white house they did something wrong. Why would you hide a legit phone call? Another issue is him doing it multiple times. If that's true then it's over for him.
How was this phone call ‘hidden’, as you say?

How was this phone call ‘hidden’, as you say?
The official transcript was put on a secured system reserved for national security matters only. There is another, non classified system, that these transcripts would normally go on. Apparently whoever loads this stuff on the systems was told to remove it from the appropriate system and enter it on to the secured system. It's alleged that this has happened with other calls as well. It's pretty black and white if you would actually read up on what was happening.

The official transcript was put on a secured system reserved for national security matters only. There is another, non classified system, that these transcripts would normally go on. Apparently whoever loads this stuff on the systems was told to remove it from the appropriate system and enter it on to the secured system. It's alleged that this has happened with other calls as well. It's pretty black and white if you would actually read up on what was happening.
The DNI just testified that the transcript was handled to the letter of the law and per standard procedure. Where are you getting your information?

The DNI just testified that the transcript was handled to the letter of the law and per standard procedure. Where are you getting your information?
He said the whistle blower handled it to the letter of the law. His exact words:

"First, I want to stress I believe the whistle-blower and the inspector general have acted in good faith throughout," he said. "I have every reason to believe that they have done everything by the book and followed the law."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT