ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

Most, if not all aspired to be politicians. .

Why do you say that? Do you have some proof of that?

Of the ones I mentioned...the generals literally had each party come to them and ask them to be their candidate for President, none of them actively pushed for the nomination until they were begged to run. Hell, Taylor wasn't even sure which party he'd run for.

Lincoln was a happy lawyer until the Kansas-Nebraska fiasco inspired him to run in 1856 for Senate. He was President just 4 years later. Obama became so popular in Illinois that his colleagues in the legislature pushed him to seek a Senate spot. Kennedy famously wanted nothing to do with politics and was forced in by his father.

Obama is really the only one you could even argue "aspired to be a politician" and I think he'd probably disagree with you there.

So how again did "most, if not all aspire to be politicians?"

Reactions: bleeduncblue
I guess. I think that's overblown a bit though with people acting like he's the first guy to hold office who wasn't a politician. Ike, Taylor and Grant were both generals and had never even ran for public office before being President. A ton of guys were Governors for less than 3 years and Kennedy/Lincoln/Obama were junior senators in either their first or second terms.

Think about it, who is the last President that was a super experienced Washington guy before being elected? Bush Sr.? Before him? Nixon? That's 30 and 50 years ago.

I think people overstate our recent past Presidents as being these Washington lifers.
I agree

Most, if not all aspired to be politicians. Even lifers.
For the most part, the shoe had to fit to be president. Not anymore.

Oh and by the way dude, you don't think Donald Trump aspired to be a politician? You think that's what makes him different?

The guy ran for President for 16 years before he eventually got elected. If that's not aspiration then what is it?

he’s just a louder, more obnoxious version of what’s already there...if obama said bullshit in a presser, fox would have headlines and breaking news the entire day saying he’s a disgrace to the office...trump says it and it’s per the normal.

to me that’s not a bar that should be reached...you step over that one.

Last edited:
mike-bloomberg-announces-2020-run.jpg

I guess. I think that's overblown a bit though with people acting like he's the first guy to hold office who wasn't a politician. Ike, Taylor and Grant were both generals and had never even ran for public office before being President.
Let me rephrase to say politicians that people (other than history majors) would know about.

A ton of guys were Governors for less than 3 years and Kennedy/Lincoln/Obama were junior senators in either their first or second terms.
True, but they were still politicians. Maybe I shouldn't have said entrenched.

Oh and by the way dude, you don't think Donald Trump aspired to be a politician? You think that's what makes him different?

The guy ran for President for 16 years before he eventually got elected. If that's not aspiration then what is it?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. I have no doubt that Trump didn't want to be a politician. He ran the first time for media attention and he ran in 2016 because Obama embarrassed him. I don't think he even considered the possibility that he would win.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. I have no doubt that Trump didn't want to be a politician. He ran the first time for media attention and he ran in 2016 because Obama embarrassed him. I don't think he even considered the possibility that he would win.

So I'm torn on this one. I agree with you on the reasons he ran, but at the same time I think he wanted to be President more than anything in life.

know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. I have no doubt that Trump didn't want to be a politician. He ran the first time for media attention and he ran in 2016 because Obama embarrassed him. I don't think he even considered the possibility that he would win.

stern says this all the time...he even has guests on that readily admit that he never thought he’d win, but the ride was too much for him to pass up...trump and howard used to have quite the friendship...some of the clips he plays when trump used to call in are strange to hear.

Let me rephrase to say politicians that people (other than history majors) would know about.

True, but they were still politicians. Maybe I shouldn't have said entrenched.

I don't think he considered the possibility of what he would have to do IF HE WON. He absolutely wanted to win that election. I have no doubt about that. He was committed to winning the election. I'm not sure that actually being the president was of much interest until he had no choice but learn on the job. He loves campaigning and getting attention.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I agree that he’s completely different than prior presidents. But the American right proved it had no shame a long time ago.
Utter nonsense. Both parties are guilty of shameful actions. I would say the Dems are even more guilty than Republicans. I have lost all the respect I once had for Dem politicians after their shenanigans of the decade.

Obama knew he had supporters saying and doing similar things. It's a failure on his part for not squashing it. He allowed division in race and politics. He simply allowed it to go on
I think he actually promoted racial divisiveness. He could have chosen to be a unifying force as the first African American POTUS, he chose to not be. Such a lost opportunity.

Reactions: Grayhead
Utter nonsense. Both parties are guilty of shameful actions. I would say the Dems are even more guilty than Republicans. I have lost all the respect I once had for Dem politicians after their shenanigans of the decade.

what’s the difference in the shenanigans?...for you, i mean.

I think he actually promoted racial divisiveness. He could have chosen to be a unifying force as the first African American POTUS, he chose to not be. Such a lost opportunity.

please provide the promotion of this from obama?

please provide the promotion of this from obama?
Silence can be powerful as well.
Turning a blind eye
Publicly addressing hate crimes on both parts
Calling out antifa as well as cop killers
Showing more support to law enforcement
Handling hot topic cases with unity in mind

Reactions: bleeduncblue
No saying he had a secret agenda,but he could have done more to address this.

I know some whites didnt help, but he could have been a better tone setter.

Trump never cared about

Completely agree. His assault and disrespect of law enforcement, his poor handling of Ferguson, his stumping for BLM, his racially infused comments on Trayvon Martin all show Obama to be a race baiter.

complete bs...you’re a freakin idiot if you believe that.

just looking at the job and economical data so far, Trump has done FAR more for blacks and their quality of life than Obama ever did.

Ew why are you posting things by the horribly awful bias media? Remember, they are the hooker you have to bring home to mom.

what a terrible attempt to troll my troll.

if the terribly biased media is poasting articles helpful to Your President, you can’t imagine how good it really is for The Donald.

Neither of those presidents taking vacation at personal properties has any effect on their income. It’s not relevant whether or not previous presidents have owned resorts. If they had they would have been expected to put them in a blind trust.

There’s no excusing trump’s violations of the immoluments clause. He’s clearly using the presidency to enrich himself. That’s something people on both sides should be able to agree on.

I have never found anyone who is so consistently wrong at everything as is @uncboy10

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/us/emoluments-trump-democrats.html?0p19G=0038

Reactions: nctransplant
It's not just me, there's a slew of 17 angry Democrats and a S/C that is working hard to eliminate the corruption and lies that our country has been subject to . . please do keep that checking account balance above $100, as that time is coming.

you were right, @Terror Beard. Looks like the bet is for $100.

the $1000 bet was an offer to @prlyles which he wisely declined to take.

Trump claims at a New Hampshire rally that the only reason he didn’t win the state was because hundreds of buses brought voters in from other states.

But it’s the media that makes him look bad right?

Trump claims at a New Hampshire rally that the only reason he didn’t win the state was because hundreds of buses brought voters in from other states.

Hush, you commie-pinko-liberal snowflake. Besides, he's busy trying to get Roger Stone's prison sentence lessened!

Reactions: uncboy10

If he actually had any proof of this there is absolutely, positively no way he'd have the discipline to not say anything about it for 3.5 years and just say it now.

Reactions: tarheel0910
But see, these are the kind of statements that Trump makes that go in the tally of "lies told". It's not a lie. He said it as a shot at democrats and to entertain his base. But you can bet that some idiot liberal will run with that as if (1) it matters and (2) that Trump really thinks that.

The point is that it's so trivial why would anyone care to "debunk" it?
So it's not a lie because you think that Trump doesn't believe it and it doesn't really matter anyway? Trump is big on conspiracy theories, so my guess is that he really does believe it.

But see, these are the kind of statements that Trump makes that go in the tally of "lies told". It's not a lie. He said it as a shot at democrats and to entertain his base. But you can bet that some idiot liberal will run with that as if (1) it matters and (2) that Trump really thinks that.

The point is that it's so trivial why would anyone care to "debunk" it?

He said something that's a lie. Thus, it should go into the bucket of Trump lies.

If he didn't want it to go into the bucket then don't say it.

Plus, it's not really a "shot" at them. Is he going to say that in every state he lost? I just don't get it. It's not clever, it's not funny, and it just fuels libs fire to say he is just full of bullshit. I know his base are mostly morons but man, if they get a hard on for that statement then I'm even overestimating them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT