ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

Education is only as good as the parental support at home. Doesn't matter if it's public or private.

For that to be true, the quality of education should have no impact on orphans who don’t have parents at home.

For that to be true, the quality of education should have no impact on orphans who don’t have parents at home.
No offense, but you have to have kids to understand why what I said is true. There are obviously outliers. Maybe I should have said support at home instead of parental.

No offense, but you have to have kids to understand why what I said is true. There are obviously outliers. Maybe I should have said support at home instead of parental.

None taken. I’m not saying support at home isn’t important. I’m saying that the quality of education is still relevant for kids that don’t have support at home. An unsupported kid is still more likely to be successful if he or she is at a better school. That kid with support at home AND top notch education has an even better chance of succeeding.

yes....to some people you have to not only point out the completely obvious, but then you have to define every word in every statement you make. Next, you explain the concept of 'context'. Arguing with the obstinately adversarial is an arduous task.

Is Trump losing his fastball? Biden's camp seems to be the ones dropping the best videos mocking the opponent.

These debates are going to be insane.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Herman Cain, leader of “black voices for trump” And who attended the Tulsa rally without a mask has been hospitalized with a case of karma-er-covid.

Same with Redskins. If they change it, I'm done with the NFL. I have no stake in it anymore. The tradition is gone for me. Redskins, as a mascot/nickname of The Washington Redskins is being used in a context that is actually empowering American Indians. If people are too lazy to understand and don't agree, that's fine. But, I will just choose to step-out of the pastime.

Looks like you'll have some free time in the fall and winter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29405011/redskins-undergo-thorough-review-nickname

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Perfect timing... they're adding another unnecessary, obligatory song to the pre-game repertoire.

Fine by me. I will persevere.
9023ac9a979436b182a1ad13333bee6b4e24809c92919ae0220417f5451d2602.jpg

Reactions: bluetoe
Nike is okay with basically slave labor making their products, but they're concerned about the pretentious white people who have decided to be offended by this crap.

I have had 3 native Indian clients in my work THIS YEAR, and they were all Redskins fans (2 lived in South Dakota, 1 in Wyoming, all three were full blooded tribe Indians). I made a point to personally ask them if Redskins offended them. All three, basically, said "Are you kidding? That's been my family's NFL team since it started! Don't believe everything you hear!" The guy in Wyoming said he pulls for the Broncos more now because the Redskins suck, but he was conflicted in 1988's Super Bowl. They all said that they're proud to see teams use their imagery!

Maybe it was a coincidence that I landed the only 3 people.

Nike is okay with basically slave labor making their products, but they're concerned about the pretentious white people who have decided to be offended by this crap.

I have had 3 native Indian clients in my work THIS YEAR, and they were all Redskins fans (2 lived in South Dakota, 1 in Wyoming, all three were full blooded tribe Indians). I made a point to personally ask them if Redskins offended them. All three, basically, said "Are you kidding? That's been my family's NFL team since it started! Don't believe everything you hear!" The guy in Wyoming said he pulls for the Broncos more now because the Redskins suck, but he was conflicted in 1988's Super Bowl. They all said that they're proud to see teams use their imagery!

Do you not see how this name change will end racism for good?

Reactions: UNC '92

I think it's safe to say that "nickname" that some people think commemorates and glorifies racism MIGHT bother the particular demographic of people whose ancestors suffered from it, and it's just... impolite.

I think it's safe to say that "nickname" that some people think commemorates and glorifies racism MIGHT bother the particular demographic of people whose ancestors suffered from it, and it's just... impolite.
But, it doesn't "glorify racism" in the context of Washington Redskins. And, it's not impolite in that context, either. The context is empowering. That is proven by what I shared in just my own, minuscule, personal experiences.

Redskins-HS.jpg

106778743_979954099091705_3457219522689181722_n.jpg

Clearly, not all Redskins are not offended by the term Redskins.
sps_rctt_realredskins_05.jpg

Subheader_071017.jpg

And, people are going to be bothered in life. It's not a matter of "might be." In this context, people are choosing to be offended.

Last edited:
So, since they've been clear about it not being a protest against the flag, it is just their opportunity to show support for their cause - I assume everyone will kneel for both the black anthem and the star spangled banner, right?
You'll have to let me know.

But, it doesn't "glorify racism" in the context of Washington Redskins. And, it's not impolite in that context, either. The context is empowering. That is proven by what I shared in just my own, minuscule, personal experiences.
It doesn't glorify it to YOU. Clearly it does to some, despite what your minuscule personal experience has shown you. That nickname has no practical use, technically. It's a symbolic gestures made to glorify or memorialize people's ideas of a person, or race, or whatever. It will give you something to put on a shirt. I'm not saying that it SHOULD BE changed. Changing it isn't going to advance a cause. I realize, too well, nicknames play a role in peoples' minds. But, they're not essential.

And, people are going to be bothered in life. It's not a matter of "might be." In this context, people are choosing to be offended.
People always choose to be offended. No one forces anyone to be offended about anything.

It doesn't glorify it to YOU. Clearly it does to some, despite what your minuscule personal experience has shown you. That nickname has no practical use, technically. It's a symbolic gestures made to glorify or memorialize people's ideas of a person, or race, or whatever. It will give you something to put on a shirt. I'm not saying that it SHOULD BE changed. Changing it isn't going to advance a cause. I realize, too well, nicknames play a role in peoples' minds. But, they're not essential.

People always choose to be offended. No one forces anyone to be offended about anything.
I was watching a You Tube video that was a news broadcast about the Redskins and offensive names. And, the anchor says "If you think it's okay, then pick a slur that could be used against you and put a city's name in front of it and see how you'd feel." I'd be their biggest fan! The Kansas City Neurotics! I'm buying tons of gear and wearing it proudly! The Atlanta Crackers! I'll bring the chicken for the tailgate! The Cleveland Big Noses! I'll still hate the cold, but I am going to pull for that team! The Fighting Irish! I have always pulled for the Irish except when they play UNC.

The context is what matters. It's ALL that matters.

If you don't want the name to changed for personal reasons that's fine, but redskin is and always has been a slur for Native Americans. And quite a lot of them have petitioned for the name to be changed, so it's clearly not just 'pretentious white people' who are offended by it.

Personally I don't care all that much either way. But I think it's kind of silly to argue that the nickname 'redskin' in any way glorifies Native Americans. Braves, Seminoles, or Blackhawks... fine. Those aren't really derogatory in any way shape or form, from what I can tell.

Whether or not the redskins change their name, it will have zero impact on my life. But it seems like a weird hill to die on.

Not familiar with those towns or tribes in India. Learn something new everyday.
If you're fortunate, you learn more than something.

According to Russell Means and another Muscogee Indian writer (I forgot the name), the origin of the term "Indian" was not from Columbus believing he was in India. But, something of a misinterpretation, or incorrect writing by Columbus in his poor Spanish from his native Italian. But, essentially, the name Indian is a derivative of, or his attempt at, the Spanish expression En Dios, meaning "in God." 'These are people of God' ("una gente in Dios")... or, so they say. Of course, then Columbus set about subjugating and enslaving the native people. Well, the ones that didn't die from the diseases they caught from the European sailors, that is. So, who knows.

"Native American" is term invented by US Government to refer to ALL "indigenous people" of the Americas.

According to one of my clients, he doesn't want to be referred to as anything except "Oglala." But, you don't always get what you want.

If you're fortunate, you learn more than something.

According to Russell Means and another Muscogee Indian writer (I forgot the name), the origin of the term "Indian" was not from Columbus believing he was in India. But, something of a misinterpretation, or incorrect writing by Columbus in his poor Spanish from his native Italian. But, essentially, the name Indian is a derivative of, or his attempt at, the Spanish expression En Dios, meaning "in God." 'These are people of God' ("una gente in Dios")... or, so they say. Of course, then Columbus set about subjugating and enslaving the native people. Well, the ones that didn't die from the diseases they caught from the European sailors, that is. So, who knows.

"Native American" is term invented by US Government to refer to ALL "indigenous people" of the Americas.

According to one of my clients, he doesn't want to be referred to as anything except "Oglala." But, you don't always get what you want.

1. Russell is wrong. One guy saying something doesn’t eliminate the literally hundreds of primary sources that say otherwise.

2. Yep - according to a lot of quotes from natives they prefer to just refer to them by their tribe.

3. Why are you still calling them Indians?

1. Russell is wrong. One guy saying something doesn’t eliminate the literally hundreds of primary sources that say otherwise.

2. Yep - according to a lot of quotes from natives they prefer to just refer to them by their tribe.

3. Why are you still calling them Indians?
1. I don't think Russell was the only person who ever said or used "Indians" to refer to native tribes on the North American continent.

2. I know. I already said that.

3. Because I want to.

1. I don't think Russell was the only person who ever said or used "Indians" to refer to native tribes on the North American continent.

2. I know. I already said that.

3. Because I want to.
1) I could be wrong, but I believe he was referring to the derivation of the term 'Indian'. And yeah, the guy was wrong in that regard. There might be a better explanation for the origination of the term than the standard one, but it isn't this ludicrous 'en dios' theory.

"People always choose to be offended. No one forces anyone to be offended about anything."

hold the phones, folks, we've got a winner...

The context is what matters. It's ALL that matters.
True, so it appears that many people (including some Indians) think that nickname is offensive in THEIR context. Just like Confederate statues right. Because you're making the same argument that those people who want to keep the statues are making. In their context it's about honoring someone. So, if you want to be consistent you're going to have to think both things should be kept.

True, so it appears that many people (including some Indians) think that nickname is offensive in THEIR context. Just like Confederate statues right. Because you're making the same argument that those people who want to keep the statues are making. In their context it's about honoring someone. So, if you want to be consistent you're going to have to think both things should be kept.

I disagree.

I don't care about the statues that are built to honor people/individuals in some historical way. I have no stake in them. They've never meant anything to me. They neither offend or inspire me. Statues are usually kind of creepy, archaic and unnecessary. I don't care if they keep them, and I don't care if they remove them.

I have a tradition with the Washington Redskins. I have a vested interest in it. And, whoever "they" are, then THEIR understanding of the context is incorrect, if they're choosing to be offended by it. It's a universal context. The intent is clear. There's no disrespect or attempt to belittle or shame anyone. It's the exact opposite. That's why I used the example of actual Navajos using Redskins as their own nickname and mascot with the Red Mesa High School. And, they're not the only ones. I don't consider Redskin(s) to be a slur. Whenever I hear, or read, "Redskins", I immediately think of the NFL Football team.

I read that they might change it to Warriors... to me, it's the same thing! Warriors, Scouts, Redskins, Chiefs, Indians, Illini, Redmen, Orangemen, Seminoles, Blackhawks, whatever. They are all the same to me.

After talking with my brother about it... we actually are feeling some inspiration and motivation to finally switch allegiance and pull for the Panthers!

And, we already hate Dan Snyder!

Reactions: dadika13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT