ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

Interesting move by Trump to sign the EOs. Democrats are kinda stuck in a bad position on this one. It wouldn't really be smart for them to take Trump to court to take away money from struggling voters.

The last week has been a shit show. The fact that congress can’t negotiate well enough to pass emergency relief during a pandemic should tell you all you need to know about the current state of US politics.

The last week has been a shit show. The fact that congress can’t negotiate well enough to pass emergency relief during a pandemic should tell you all you need to know about the current state of US politics.
Nobody wants to compromise. I'm normally ok with that since that means nothing happens and they don't make things worse. This is obviously a different type of situation though. It will probably get done next week though. They can't afford not to do anything with the election coming up and the dems definitely don't want Trump to get all the shine.

Nobody wants to compromise. I'm normally ok with that since that means nothing happens and they don't make things worse. This is obviously a different type of situation though. It will probably get done next week though. They can't afford not to do anything with the election coming up and the dems definitely don't want Trump to get all the shine.

Those are the same assumptions I’ve been making but you also can’t really overestimate the incompetence of the DNC. They’ll find a way to turn this into an even bigger loss. I wasn’t even really thinking of an EO being a possibility but the Democrats just need to get a second stimulus check passed and that’s all anyone will be talking about for at least a few weeks.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Ny times is reporting that trump’s aides reached out to s Dakota’s gov about the process for adding himself to mt Rushmore. Smfh
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/politics/mount-rushmore-trump-south-dakota/index.html

According to a 2018 interview with Noem, the two struck up a conversation about the sculpture in the Oval Office during their first meeting, where she initially thought he was joking. "I started laughing," she said. "He wasn't laughing, so he was totally serious."
"He said, 'Kristi, come on over here. Shake my hand, and so I shook his hand, and I said, 'Mr. President, you should come to South Dakota sometime. We have Mount Rushmore.' And he goes, 'Do you know it's my dream to have my face on Mount Rushmore?'"

Reactions: heelmanwilm
OMG this is earthshaking, just incredible. No other president or presidential aspirant has ever imagined joining the faces on Mt. Rushmore. This is a molehill of epic proportions. Convene the inquisitors. LOL.

454832fe27373e585e0ac668f3916113.gif

Reactions: keysersosay#1
That would be a shitload of orange paint

interesting note: the original plan was for the sculptures to include their torsos but they ran out of money

Yeah making sure people have enough to eat during the depression then lend-lease kinda took precedence over giving Teddy his abs.

Reactions: heelmanwilm

amen to that.

"Speak often and carry a big stick. You will go far."
TR

It's like he had 'the Donald' in mind. I don't know about Mt. Rushmore, but it would be a shame if this doesn't end up dominating the landscape of the National Mall in DC.

DzGYF9AU8AAcnaD.jpg

or maybe even better, placed opposite the Statue of Liberty

“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.”

-TR

Reactions: bluetoe
“The teachings of the Bible are so interwoven and entwined with our whole civic and social life that it would be literally impossible for us to figure to ourselves what that life would be if these teaching were removed.”

-TR

Reactions: cletusnow
Hard to see independents voting for Harris as president. He kind of backed himself into a corner though.

I think VPs in general elections don't really matter much. Palin was a shitshow and I don't think she cost McCain any votes (I'm a moderate who thought she was horrible but I still voted for McCain).

I think he had to check the boxes of woman and minority to the ticket. Will it mean more votes? Meh, probably not. I don't think it means any less either.

I think VPs in general elections don't really matter much. Palin was a shitshow and I don't think she cost McCain any votes (I'm a moderate who thought she was horrible but I still voted for McCain).

I think he had to check the boxes of woman and minority to the ticket. Will it mean more votes? Meh, probably not. I don't think it means any less either.
This isn't your typical pick. Trump is going to ram it down everyone's throat that Biden won't make it four years (which I agree with) and a vote for Biden is actually a vote for Harris to be president. He screwed himself when he limited his choices to women and then even further when it was clear the dems would cave in to the demand for a minority.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
This isn't your typical pick. Trump is going to ram it down everyone's throat that Biden won't make it four years (which I agree with) and a vote for Biden is actually a vote for Harris to be president. He screwed himself when he limited his choices to women and then even further when it was clear the dems would cave in to the demand for a minority.

Eh, I just disagree that's something people will be thinking about when they decide if they will vote or not vote.

I think a minority woman could help generate some excitement from dem voters in mixed race suburbs in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, PA, VA, NC. Between Biden's attachment to Obama and a minority on the ticket I think they hope to gain back those areas Hillary lost in 2016 that Obama had crushed in 2008/12.

Hard to see independents voting for Harris as president. He kind of backed himself into a corner though.

it boggles the mind how candidates think they have to pander to their bases like this. The base is gonna vote for them if they choose a collander for vp. Why can’t they try and appeal to the moderates and independents for Chrissakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT