ADVERTISEMENT

Our starting 5......

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
My best guess, assuming we are done with portal and recruiting for 24?..is Ec and RJ in the backcourt, Cade and Jackson as forwards , Washington in the middle. Your bench looks like Trimble, Withers Lubin, High...matchups, injuries, player development will all factor into PT..,that is my best early guess.

I think Lubin starts in place of Washington. I’m convinced Lubin committed to UNC because Hubert offered him a starting spot. Everything else I agree with.

Is this your starting 5 game one or later in the season? Big diff imo. I think there is going to be a ton of experimentation everywhere but PG and SG early in the season.

I'm not sure if Lubin would be agile enough to defend modern 4s. He'd be destroyed trying to chase a Cade Tyson around screens and trying to get a hand in his face on threes. He might even had a little trouble with an Ingram sized 4. Withers is actually probably best match-up-wise of modern 4s if he can avoid foul trouble and play smart team D. Or High's body with someone else's understanding of concepts, motor-control and hyperactivity.

My best guess, assuming we are done with portal and recruiting for 24?..is Ec and RJ in the backcourt, Cade and Jackson as forwards , Washington in the middle. Your bench looks like Trimble, Withers Lubin, High...matchups, injuries, player development will all factor into PT..,that is my best early guess.
I agree but Powell will be in the mix. His defense alone will probably get him on the court.

I have seen some comments that we might want to play at a faster clip and apply more pressure on D. Team will be a little undersized to pound the ball inside but could play havoc against teams without good ballhandling skills It will be interesting how the freshmen fit in and if EC can become a more consistent outside force.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I think Lubin starts in place of Washington. I’m convinced Lubin committed to UNC because Hubert offered him a starting spot. Everything else I agree with.
As I understand it, that is actually the opposite of what happened.

The reason he left his visit without us taking his commitment is that he came in with the expectation of being offered a starting job, but that wasn't happening, and he was told by the staff to go home and decide if he wanted to come in and compete.

Happily (with an assist from Stack), he made the right decision.

As far as who starts, that of course will play out over the summer and then in camp, but I would hazzard a guess that he is more likely to start at the 4 than the 5. Either way, this is a great pickup and he will be a big part of the 4/5 rotation.

Really the starting lineup means nothing…We know that EC and RJ will start…The rest it doesn’t matter to me…I will take a stab at it though just for conversation…

1——EC
2——RJ
3——Tyson
4——Lubin
5——JWash

I think this is what we might start with but doesn’t mean it will stay like this…

As I understand it, that is actually the opposite of what happened.

The reason he left his visit without us taking his commitment is that he came in with the expectation of being offered a starting job, but that wasn't happening, and he was told by the staff to go home and decide if he wanted to come in and compete.

Happily (with an assist from Stack), he made the right decision.
I was only speculating and didn't know for sure. Thanks for clearing that up, gary-7. It definitely boosts my confidence in Lubin and our UNC staff. It's also great to know that Stack still bleeds Carolina Blue.

Not sure how the front court shakes out in the end, but I do think it will be all 6 in play to establish theirself for the minutes. By conference play there will be a pecking order. My bet would be most on Lubin being one of the featured minute guys by that time. I also think Cap Jack is going to have to get significant run, somehow, not enough at 2 with RJ, if Cadeau becomes a 30 minute type guy too. Practices should be fun leading up to seeing who is in what limited roles, and how it plays out internally.

I’d go
PG: Elliot
SG: RJ
SF: Cade
PF: Lubin
C: Washington
I feel Cade will get some minutes at the 4 but and this will open up time for Ian at the 2/3 but I hope not for defensive purposes that we have a 205 pounder (Cade) at the 4 starting off or defensively we’re gonna be in trouble

1——EC
2——RJ
3——Tyson
4——Lubin
5——JWash

This is what I think for the first game of the season. By mid season it could be different. But this 5 right here all have college basketball experience and that matters.

By mid season, I could see Drake or Ian or maybe even Seth cracking the starting lineup.

Reactions: Jejwaune2121
I’d go
PG: Elliot
SG: RJ
SF: Cade
PF: Lubin
C: Washington
I feel Cade will get some minutes at the 4 but and this will open up time for Ian at the 2/3 but I hope not for defensive purposes that we have a 205 pounder (Cade) at the 4 starting off or defensively we’re gonna be in trouble
This s my thinking as well…So the 1st subs would be Withers or Trimble…Also Ian can play the 2/3 spot…Coach Davis will have a lot of different lineups he can run…

Also please let’s not play RJ 35plus minutes a game…

Am I the only one who can't envision Jalen Washington starting in any scenario? I don't see him playing more than 10-15 minutes per game off the bench.

Am I the only one who can't envision Jalen Washington starting in any scenario? I don't see him playing more than 10-15 minutes per game off the bench.
I think we have 4 guys in the post that will play at least I hope so…Withers,High,Lubin and JWash…

I think High makes a leap like Trimble did this past year…

Reactions: gary-7
It's all going to depend on how much muscle he adds this offseason, and if he can cut down on fouling so much. His defense will determine a lot, and he has a lot to prove on the defensive end.

Maybe not the only one .. but may be in the minority. If he progresses as he should I could see 20+ mpg without much trouble .. jmo
Me too. I remember the year Johnson was going to have to be the man and tame his fouling tendencies and start moving better on defense. He could stand out next year. If so, with EC becoming a threat to hit a few deep here and there, we could be dangerous.

He just flat out shoots the ball so well may even out with Other Centers in the Box scores

He drags them out dumps a couple 3s on them , they power him down get some dunks

My guess is he’s a 10/8 Guy on average a couple of great nights he could have 20 points just because he’s going to get less attention

He just flat out shoots the ball so well may even out with Other Centers in the Box scores

He drags them out dumps a couple 3s on them , they power him down get some dunks

My guess is he’s a 10/8 Guy on average a couple of great nights he could have 20 points just because he’s going to get less attention
Hard to shoot the ball well when he's on the bench in foul trouble.

Me too. I remember the year Johnson was going to have to be the man and tame his fouling tendencies and start moving better on defense.
- At no point in his college career did Brice Johnson ever have a foul rate as high as sophomore Jalen Washington

- Brice Johnson always had a 5-star McDonalds All American power forward ready to sub in when he did get into foul trouble. McAdoo was on the roster Brice's first 2 seasons, and Hicks was on the roster Brice's last 3 seasons.

Jalen is in a very different situation with the amount of pressure we're about to put on his shoulders (unless we actually add a true center to the roster.) We're asking him to dramatically increase his minutes played, drastically cut his foul rate, and telling him if he can't do it we'll have to play a ton of small ball.

- At no point in his college career did Brice Johnson ever have a foul rate as high as sophomore Jalen Washington

- Brice Johnson always had a 5-star McDonalds All American power forward ready to sub in when he did get into foul trouble. McAdoo was on the roster Brice's first 2 seasons, and Hicks was on the roster Brice's last 3 seasons.

Jalen is in a very different situation with the amount of pressure we're about to put on his shoulders (unless we actually add a true center to the roster.) We're asking him to dramatically increase his minutes played, drastically cut his foul rate, and telling him if he can't do it we'll have to play a ton of small ball.
All great point but you incessantly bitch about this kid as if he can’t or won’t improve. Old old old

EC, RJ, Tyson, JWash, Lubin.

I'm starting these guys day 1 and letting the chips fall where they may as the season progresses. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lubin and JWash switch between 4 & 5 depending on the opponent. Seth. Drake, Ian, JWit should all get significant minutes and any of them could start a game or two. High will contend for minutes as well and JB will work on his game while being prepared to step in as needed. Team is deep and skilled. I really hope peeps have the same extreme level of camaraderie as last year too! Hopefully they will work each other very hard in practice and let their collective iron sharpen their varied skills!

Reactions: alabamaheel
High will contend for minutes as well
I really don't think he will.

I think he might have recorded the worst foul rate in UNC history last season, nearly 9 fouls per 40 minutes. Also he thinks he's a stretch 4, but all of his 3 pointers missed badly last year. He might be the scholarship player who is furthest away from being an ACC level contributor on our roster.

Either we add another big through the portal, or Cade Tyson plays a lot of minutes at the 4 spot. We can't have High as part of the rotation this season.

Reactions: KinstonNC
I really don't think he will.

I think he might have recorded the worst foul rate in UNC history last season, nearly 9 fouls per 40 minutes. Also he thinks he's a stretch 4, but all of his 3 pointers missed badly last year. He might be the scholarship player who is furthest away from being an ACC level contributor on our roster.

Either we add another big through the portal, or Cade Tyson plays a lot of minutes at the 4 spot. We can't have High as part of the rotation this season.
High will be fine. His flaws are fixable...his intangibles are difficult to coach.

High will be fine. His flaws are fixable...his intangibles are difficult to coach.
Can you name another Tar Heel basketball player who averaged 9 fouls per 40 minutes?

Off the top of your head, what former player had the worst foul rate in a single season?

Can you name another Tar Heel basketball player who averaged 9 fouls per 40 minutes?

Off the top of your head, what former player had the worst foul rate in a single season?

Do you think he will continue to average 9 fouls per 40 minutes for his entire career? If so, he could give us 15-20 minutes of pure hustle and energy every game. Do you think he will improve as a basketball player in the next 2-3 years? Do you wish he would have entered the portal so you could bitch about us having one less post player on the roster?

Refs target freshmen and unheralded players. Do you think all of the fouls called on High this year would have been called on Bacot in the same situation? If you do, then I have some beach front property in Kansas I would like to sell you.

Do you not understand that players actually develop?
I understand players develop. I also understand that not every player UNC has recruited will end up being a part of the rotation in a successful season. Our staff scouted High and initially decided to pass on him based on their evaluations. It was only after rumors began to swirl that GG was decommitting, that our staff offered Power and High. Based on what I saw of High his senior year in high school, and again as a freshman, I believe the staff's initial read was the correct one. I think he has a long long looooong way to go before he's capable of being part of the rotation on a successful UNC team. It's more likely we'll just keep recruiting over him.

Can you name a UNC player with a worse foul rate than High's freshman year?

I understand players develop. I also understand that not every player UNC has recruited will end up being a part of the rotation in a successful season. Our staff scouted High and initially decided to pass on him based on their evaluations. It was only after rumors began to swirl that GG was decommitting, that our staff offered Power and High. Based on what I saw of High his senior year in high school, and again as a freshman, I believe the staff's initial read was the correct one. I think he has a long long looooong way to go before he's capable of being part of the rotation on a successful UNC team. It's more likely we'll just keep recruiting over him.

Excellent post. I agree with this 100%.

From what I’ve observed thinking that High will some how be able to break rotation and give major minutes next year is nothing more than WISHFUL thinking. There is a reason why Hubert Davis has been trying desperately to find a replacement for Bacot.

At this point, although he is not yet available, Ugonna would be my 1st choice. As they say, you can’t teach 7ft. Dude is a legit rim protector! His stats may not reflect as much but I think his offense is seriously underrated. Imo Kentucky simply had too many 7footers making it very difficult for anyone to gain valuable minutes- make 1 single mistake in ccc system you don’t play! Hawkins would be my next choice as I think he would add toughness right out the gate. But as it stands those two are not currently available so if we have to roll with what we have…let’s roll!

***Just for conversation***

Who ever EARNS starter minutes starts…
The current team: Top 18
1- EC/Freshman
2- RJ/Seth
3- Tyson/Freshman
4- JWit/High
5- JWash/Ven

If it happens: Top 8
1- EC/Freshman
2- RJ/Seth
3- Tyson/Freshman
4- Hawkins/JWit/JWash/High
5- JWash/Ven/Hawkins

Dream team: Elite title contender.
1- EC/Freshman
2- RJ/Seth
3- Tyson/Freshman
4- Ven/JWit/JWash/High
5- JWash/Ugonna/Ven

Like I said before I think the roster is set but if it was Hawkins or Ugonna give me the UK kid all day….

Frankly, that is just a silly question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT