ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (alabama game)...

" The majority of players feel their brand is bigger than that jersey"... Sadly, I could as well make that same case for our society as a whole, it is now Me, I am more important than anyone else and we see this playing in nearly every aspect of our society. We have seen this play out for the last several years in professional sports, the NBA is about the players now and not the teams, it was not always this way, it was so much better when it wasn't.

Now one of two things is crystal clear, either these players are actually executing exactly what this staff wants done or they are not, there is no in between there. Now lets say the players are not executing what this staff wants them to. As would seem to be the case considering what Hubert has said in post game PCs that he told his players that it was actually HARDER for them to do the exact opposite of what they are being taught. In easy to understand form that directly says players, you are doing the opposite of what I am asking you to, no other way to transcribe that. Why does it continue, why does it continue from very experienced players, starters? It is as simple as you don't do what I asked you to in a game, I pull your from that game, be it one guy or be it 5 or anywhere in between. You sit the rest of the game and after we talk privately 1 on 1 in my office.

What I fear is that these players love Hubert, that I do not doubt but there was NEVER a more beloved UNC coach than Dean Smith yet you did what Dean and his staff asked you to do to the best of your ability and that very simply was to play smart, play hard, and play together. Dean's players loved him for the person he was but more importantly they respected him as a coach, they knew he knew more about the game than they did, they wanted to learn from him. My fear is that as much as these players love Hubert as a man, they do not respect him as a coach, in other words, they do not see any ramifications if they basically do what they want. Caleb can miss 20 shots in a game and knows he will start the next game and still get nearly 30mins or more? I am sorry but that isn't Caleb's fault, that is on the staff and the head coach. Hubert needs these kids to treat him more as a head coach than their buddy, than their press agent.
This sums up my concerns.

One thing I think is missing from the evaluation of Coach Davis so far is that these aren’t totally his players, although he would never say that (to his credit). It will be interesting to see what issues go away organically as the rosters turn over. I’ll say again, I don’t know how much worse-or better for arguments’ sake-this team would be but I felt like Caleb may have been better served going pro after last year and I personally would like to see what we looked like on the floor without him.

Let me just add again I will cheer like crazy for Caleb and appreciate his desire to stay, just find myself doing a lot of counterfactual thinking.

I think they are playing exactly how HD tells them to play. HD is probably just as stubborn as Roy.

I wonder how Bacot can keep turning the ball over 6 times a game trying to score over double and triple teams and not get yanked.

I wonder how Love and RJ can play that many minutes missing shots all over the place and not get yanked

I wonder how Nance at Damn near 7 feet is averaging less rebounds than Love and RJ and not get yanked

HD probably knows his bench better than we do and say “damn” ain’t no better options on that bench

They respect him plenty. Y’all just hold on and…..always believe in the Power of Love!
Grover I might think you drive me nuts with posts on Caleb but man you nailed it on this one imo! A lot of people complain how these guys play, when and where and how they do things but HD is coaching them in some of these diff aspects of the game he wants played. I get it, it’s different than what’s always been done and that’s hard to adjust to. But no matter how much people gripe, HD is the man. Are there things they could all do better? Sure, but he’s the one doling out minutes. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t like the lack of reprimand but if he’s trying to accomplish something, and Bacot turns it over three times in a row at the top of the key, then it’s on coach.
I do think he stills feels some pressure to win and can’t lose some games early like Roy could. And I get that, but I too would love to see more subs. Oh well.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
" The majority of players feel their brand is bigger than that jersey"... Sadly, I could as well make that same case for our society as a whole, it is now Me, I am more important than anyone else and we see this playing in nearly every aspect of our society. We have seen this play out for the last several years in professional sports, the NBA is about the players now and not the teams, it was not always this way, it was so much better when it wasn't.

But Bubs, it really should not matter what the players think, I don't mean that to sound as cold as it may seem but these fellas committed to UNC and to the UNC coaching staff, it is their role to execute what the coaching staff wants executed, other wise the inmates run the asylum.

Now one of two things is crystal clear, either these players are actually executing exactly what this staff wants done or they are not, there is no in between there. Now lets say the players are not executing what this staff wants them to. As would seem to be the case considering what Hubert has said in post game PCs that he told his players that it was actually HARDER for them to do the exact opposite of what they are being taught. In easy to understand form that directly says players, you are doing the opposite of what I am asking you to, no other way to transcribe that. Why does it continue, why does it continue from very experienced players, starters? It is as simple as you don't do what I asked you to in a game, I pull your from that game, be it one guy or be it 5 or anywhere in between. You sit the rest of the game and after we talk privately 1 on 1 in my office. There I explain that you can execute what this staff calls or you can leave this team. Harsh, maybe but the coaches coach, the players execute what the staff wants done and that applies to coaches everywhere.

The other case is they actually are doing exactly as the coaches ask? After nearly every game Hubert talks about how proud he is of their play, did it again after the Bama game. Now that would tell me pretty clearly that the players actually are doing what this staff wants? This yet the other side of the coin had just as solid a proof? There is some double speak going on that to me is impossible to make any sense from?

What I fear is that these players love Hubert, that I do not doubt but there was NEVER a more beloved UNC coach than Dean Smith yet you did what Dean and his staff asked you to do to the best of your ability and that very simply was to play smart, play hard, and play together. Dean's players loved him for the person he was but more importantly they respected him as a coach, they knew he knew more about the game than they did, they wanted to learn from him. My fear is that as much as these players love Hubert as a man, they do not respect him as a coach, in other words, they do not see any ramifications if they basically do what they want. Caleb can miss 20 shots in a game and knows he will start the next game and still get nearly 30mins or more? I am sorry but that isn't Caleb's fault, that is on the staff and the head coach. Hubert needs these kids to treat him more as a head coach than their buddy, than their press agent.

Yet again I ask, how many bad shots did you put up playing for Dean before the hook came? Why was that?
Your last paragraph summarizes what I feared from the beginning when Hubert was hired. He is an extremely nice guy, maybe too nice, to command respect from players and seems to be a “players coach.” I never saw him having the traits to rip a player in one instance and love him the next. Instead, he is more so the guy that gives constant praise and positive reinforcement regardless of what the player does.

When I think of some of the best coaches to coach college basketball, they all have an edge to them and they all commanded respect. Think of Dean, Roy, Jim Calhoun, Jay Wright, Mike Kystekshski, Jim Boeheim, John Calipari, Mark Few, Bobby Knight and the list goes on and on. Some of these guys were more player friendly than others but they all had an edge to them, commanded respect and would rip a player when necessary.

Your last paragraph summarizes what I feared from the beginning when Hubert was hired. He is an extremely nice guy, maybe too nice, to command respect from players and seems to be a “players coach.” I never saw him having the traits to rip a player in one instance and love him the next. Instead, he is more so the guy that gives constant praise and positive reinforcement regardless of what the player does.

When I think of some of the best coaches to coach college basketball, they all have an edge to them and they all commanded respect. Think of Dean, Roy, Jim Calhoun, Jay Wright, Mike Kystekshski, Jim Boeheim, John Calipari, Mark Few, Bobby Knight and the list goes on and on. Some of these guys were more player friendly than others but they all had an edge to them, commanded respect and would rip a player when necessary.
Yep. Tom Izzo is the #1 current guy who fits this description perfectly

It is disrespectful to think HD don’t gave the respect of his players.

Grover I might think you drive me nuts with posts on Caleb but man you nailed it on this one imo! A lot of people complain how these guys play, when and where and how they do things but HD is coaching them in some of these diff aspects of the game he wants played. I get it, it’s different than what’s always been done and that’s hard to adjust to. But no matter how much people gripe, HD is the man. Are there things they could all do better? Sure, but he’s the one doling out minutes. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t like the lack of reprimand but if he’s trying to accomplish something, and Bacot turns it over three times in a row at the top of the key, then it’s on coach.
I do think he stills feels some pressure to win and can’t lose some games early like Roy could. And I get that, but I too would love to see more subs. Oh well.
AlabamaHeel HD ain’t no chump…he let them do what he wants them to do….what fans have to realize is that any leader in sports or business are long-term thinkers….fans want short-term results and leaders want long-term results. HD is preparing the team for the long-term…….UNC fans have to learn to be patient….this team will evolve and fans will have a story to tell about this team

Hubs should NOT air our dirty laundry in a public forum! This is the exact antithesis to the Family idea! He should continue to find ways to praise those individuals who deserve it and criticise team effort or execution in general! There is nothing wrong with finding the positive in a negative situation and highlighting it to the media AND then addressing the issues everyone can see in practice or in private sessions! What is wrong with highlighting the grit to fight to the last second in a 4 OT game and the fight demonstrated by clawing for a chance to win??? What would be gained by the HC denigrating his own players in a press conference? Loving your coach and respecting him go hand in hand to me, and I see no evidence to the contrary!

Peeps doubting Hubs being the right man for the job will look as silly as those who doubted DES, and ratty during their 1st few seasons! (for those who love things to be simple, I am NOT saying Hubs is in their category..............yet) BUT it might be nice if the man got a few seasons under his belt before we rush to judge. Maybe 2 FF in a row would get him some slack?

Hubs should NOT air our dirty laundry in a public forum! This is the exact antithesis to the Family idea! He should continue to find ways to praise those individuals who deserve it and criticise team effort or execution in general! There is nothing wrong with finding the positive in a negative situation and highlighting it to the media AND then addressing the issues everyone can see in practice or in private sessions! What is wrong with highlighting the grit to fight to the last second in a 4 OT game and the fight demonstrated by clawing for a chance to win??? What would be gained by the HC denigrating his own players in a press conference? Loving your coach and respecting him go hand in hand to me, and I see no evidence to the contrary!

Peeps doubting Hubs being the right man for the job will look as silly as those who doubted DES, and ratty during their 1st few seasons! (for those who love things to be simple, I am NOT saying Hubs is in their category..............yet) BUT it might be nice if the man got a few seasons under his belt before we rush to judge. Maybe 2 FF in a row would get him some slack?
Not sure who this Hubs person is you speak of (LOL)
HD will get all the praise, criticism, respect, and judgment as what he deserves. How would you or anyone feel if the team flops this year? They have vastly underperformed so far minus a few stretches. The drop in rankings reflects what many outside the program feel. If they get blown out tonight and struggle at VT this week, we could see a mid 20 ranking, and rightfully so. That's on the players and coaches alike. Roy wasn't above it, and HD won't be either. The 09 team came back with a purpose. Their off season prep began once they landed from the Kansas beat down. HD may have been doing just that, but it appear leaky took it to heart.
The cure: win games and prove people wrong.

In all honesty, I feel they will turn the corner and all this will be behind us soon

Last edited:
Gary

So how does UNC defend the 3 better? My old knees still believes it starts with stopping dribble penetration and keeping your man with the ball in front of you. Obviously the scouting report should say who can help off their man, but is the scheme wrong or are players not executing as they are suppose too
I would say don't let RJ be the point of attack defender is a good start. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT