ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Clemson game)...

Hope Jalek get more playing time. The Heels are going to need his separation skills in the Dance. He is the only player on the team that can create his own shot. He has excellent passing skills. Can't count on the Heels shooting 65% in many games going forward.

Joel, Maye, Cam can all create their own shot. Kenny is also getting better at it. That Jab Step last game was great!!!!

Reactions: gary-7
Joel, Maye, Cam can all create their own shot. Kenny is also getting better at it. That Jab Step last game was great!!!!

I'm talking about total 1 on1 isolation, Kobe Bryant stuff. Jalek is the only one on the team that can do that and gets his shot off with it being blocked.

I'm talking about total 1 on1 isolation, Kobe Bryant stuff. Jalek is the only one on the team that can do that and gets his shot off with it being blocked.

If he doesn't get it taken from him before the shot goes up.

Reactions: Steat
Previous posters have referenced their worry about the reliance on the 3 pt shot, and the ball screen defensive issue being exposed by Clemson.

The 3 pointers — something you are going to have to live with. Because of Bradley’s unexpected departure this is not the usual, inside/out, team that Roy usually puts on the floor. There is no real good low post option. Maybe Manley once he gets some experience. Maye is a spot up jump shooter. Looks very uncomfortable trying to score inside. So this team will have to live with the outside shot. In fact the best inside option is probably Theo driving the lane.

Ball screen defense — Clemson didn’t exposed this. It was exposed long ago. Virginia conducted a clinic on it against us a couple weeks back. And it may be technique they are taught. Roy has always played things to hedge towards protecting the lane as opposed to jumping at the outside shot, and it is drilled into their thinking (Zeller backing up as Austin Rivers drained the 3 still lingers in my mind). And the results of the program show that the majority of the time those theories work. But when you get a player, or a team, get hit like Clemson did the other night, it com a back to haunt you.

The 3 pointers — something you are going to have to live with. Because of Bradley’s unexpected departure this is not the usual, inside/out, team that Roy usually puts on the floor. There is no real good low post option. Maybe Manley once he gets some experience.
True enough. But as you hinted, we'll continue to try and develop an inside attack.
Ball screen defense — Clemson didn’t exposed this. It was exposed long ago. Virginia conducted a clinic on it against us a couple weeks back. And it may be technique they are taught. Roy has always played things to hedge towards protecting the lane as opposed to jumping at the outside shot, and it is drilled into their thinking (Zeller backing up as Austin Rivers drained the 3 still lingers in my mind). And the results of the program show that the majority of the time those theories work. But when you get a player, or a team, get hit like Clemson did the other night, it com a back to haunt you.
Can't argue with a bit of that. I'm hoping Roy will adjust his 3-pt defensive strategy, but I'm not holding my breath.

This could be a problem for 7th if he redshirts and then transfers.

IIRC, NC State's Terry Henderson transferred from WVa after 2 years and then redshirted his first year at State due to a bad injury in his very first game as a Wuffy. But the NCAA wouldn't let him play a 4th year.

A travesty in my opinion. But if that's the way the NCAA is going to call it, 7th needs to transfer NOW (or maybe a few weeks ago), if he doesn't want to lose his last year of eligibility.

If that transfer isn't already in the works, he shouldn't even be thinking about it. Yeah, he may be playing second fiddle to Jalek next year. Or not. Neither of them has the starting role sewed up as far as I can tell.

If Jalek wins the starting role next year and then goes pro - as many have projected - 7th logically steps in ahead of freshman Francis the following year. I like Francis, but senior vs freshman. It will be 7th's turn to shine.

Which is to say that getting there may not be as easy as 7th hoped, but it's better to stick it out at UNC and get there, than to redshirt and transfer and lose a year of college ball.

JMHO
He's eligible for a medical redshirt as it stands, so that would hold if he stays or not if he doesn't play anymore this season. Not certain, but he could potentially be eligible immediately.

Like I said, i haven't heard anything one way or another as to his intentions. I will say this --- I think it would be better for 7th either way to get his body right and not try to play this season, unless there's a catastrophic injury in our backcourt.

Hope i dont sound like a hater but imo 7th will never start and its prob best he did transfer IF HES SET ON PLAYING PG. I fully expected to see a big leap this year if he was a legit threat to be an impact player at pf but it didnt happen. It did happen for williams and maye and they’re reaping the benefits.

True enough. But as you hinted, we'll continue to try and develop an inside attack.

Can't argue with a bit of that. I'm hoping Roy will adjust his 3-pt defensive strategy, but I'm not holding my breath.
The issues with 3-point defense are much more connected to our instinct to help "down" than how we play ball-screens. The kick-outs are the killers.

Reactions: gauchoheel

I disagree on that. Also, remember the spacing in college is very different for a lot of isolation plays.

I agree, it's much more related to helping down. But surely our players have been taught to do that, right?
I wish we would let guys try to defend drives more 1-on-1 sometimes. Pinson helping down on a MJ Walker drive to give up an open Braian Angola 3, or helping down on a Devon Hall drive to give up an open Ty Jerome 3, doesn't really make sense to me. Let whoever is playing in the post help or let Berry try to stay with him. OR if you are going to help then make it a quick show but be ready to dive back towards your man on a closeout.

Reactions: Archer2
"I'm gonna be fired up!" I friggin love Roy Williams, there's no one out there that cares about his players and wants to see them be the best they can be more than this man does. There is a reason that he gets the most out of his guy which I believe stems from the mutual respect and connection they share which is another testament to how great Roy is.

Reactions: DSouthr
I agree, it's much more related to helping down. But surely our players have been taught to do that, right?
It's drilled (literally) in shells for them to "step into gaps". Now, we typically don't tell our guys to help down per se, but that gap help instinct is hard to resist on the fly sometimes, especially on drives.

That is a good question. I haven't heard anything concrete either way, nor would either outcome surprise me.

Yeah, nothing is in stone at this point, I really think it comes down to 7th, if he really believes he can beat out Jalek for PT, if the kid can really see 20 mins a game I do not look for him to leave and Roy loves the kid, does not want to lose him. It is not and will not be about starting or not, it will be about reasonable PT and 7th is a kid that IMO will deserve 20mins a game at least once Joel is gone. If he can believe that kind of time is clear, he will not go any where, it is about how much Jalek can do IMO . Honestly, 7th is way more athletic but Jalek has more upside as a NBA PG but can Jalek begin to show that upside?

Reactions: FranktheHeel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT