ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (ISU game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this one was just frustrating.

Look, I fully expected a loss in this first foray into legit opponents, but not to these goons. Now, I hafta give credit to a hot hand --- some jabronie with a shooting pct in the teens from 3 for the season proceeds to do a Steph Curry imitation on us. Hey, that happens, but it shouldn't have been enough. So let's get to it:

- I'm gonna start here, only to get it outta the way: Make no mistake, ISU was a DIRTY team. They came out pushing, grabbing and undercutting. And yesterday I talked about seeing more illegal screens than at a Home Depot burglary, well, these guys knocked over the corporate HQ. Encouragingly, the zebras called much of their early mayhem, to the tune of us getting into the bonus before the 13-minute mark. Unfortunately (as so often happens), pretty-boy Cassell and his crew got numbed to the hockey game. The good news was our guys seemed to get MAD and toughened up (especially Mando, who was having none of any easy layups). The bad news is we finally let it wear on us.

- As usual though, the outcome was ultimately about US. So... start here: TOO MUCH DAMNED DRIBBLING!!! And folks, it wasn't just RJ. I'm gonna say it straight up --- this unsound approach of triggering possessions with the dribble has GOT to stop. Nobody is buying the ball-screen/forced-switch deal anymore --- scouting and stuff --- and these guys ATTACKED our dribblers (and that got ugly), or just let us dick around with the ball leading to a heave.

- Speaking of heaves, those contributed to our abysmal 3-pt %. That, along with too many missed FTs kept us from ever getting a working lead, and left the proverbial door open. And if ya keep doing tham someone is gonna walk thru and snatch a game.

- And broken record --- when we pushed tempo, we put them on their heels. Unfortunately, again, we've only got one perimeter player (Leaky) who knows how to run our transition game. Here once again, we too often muck up our breaks with dribbling in lieu of passing.

- We did have some nice passing vs their Zone, but we need to commit to that vs Man as well. In all seriousness, over the holidays I'd love to see the staff revert back to an old Dean Smith practice technique of having a minimum number of passes before a shot can be taken. I mean, there are good signs when we move the rock. And the best way to do that is trigger our offense off the Secondary and SWING the ball, instead of driving into trouble with nobody moving without the ball.

- Before I point to some bright spots, we've got to deal with the reality of our roster, i.e., that we live in what I'm gonna coin as "PG Purgatory" --- a bunch o' Combos trying to make do at the 1. RJ and Caleb are scorers who are much too fond of dribbling as a default, and Seth is an athlete, but playing Point on offense, is well, just yikes. Last season we schemed around it, but that's been scouted. So IMO, the best way to compensate is to commit to MOTION offense, and let PASSES set up our drives, instead of vice versa.

- Finally, on a brighter note was our effort to get Mando the rock deeper, and we had some effective pass-outs from the post. On defense, we finally saw some of the 24 that Hubert has been promising, but I'll tell ya, I would've loved to see that morph into 44, as I think these guys today would've been VERY vulnerable to some good old-fashoned Carolina scrambling.

Anyway, the guys have a couple of days to breath, and maybe a productive walk-thru can evoke a tweak or two, or at least a reminder of the value of the pass, as whomever we play Sunday will present a renewed challenge in their respective ways, and we can't afford the same old foibles. This time of year is fun, but it's also about getting better. Hopefully that starts Sunday... :oops:

I am beyond frustrated with the lack of the secondary break, it was there at times in the first half, but is fleeting at best.
Worse is the philosophy in the halfcourt. The lack of action off the ball while the obligatory ball screen is being set, is driving me crazy.
I am actually happy when teams zone us, so I don't have to watch the same old movie of ball screen after ball screen after ball screen.
I understand it is an important part of offensive basketball, but it can't be the end all, be all.
Staff needs to open up the playbook some before our presumed #1 seed goes by the wayside with 3-4 consecutive losses.

Agree. Posted this on another thread.

Too much dribbling just to dribble which wastes the shot clock. Then we end up with a crappy shot.

Move the ball and good things happen.

No more 25 foot heat checks.

Hedge a screen instead of staying in the key.

All are correctable. Make it sink in with a seat next to the coaching staff if needed. They will get it sorted out. Hubert will be calling some people up, as he likes to say, this week.

Last edited:
What has not been discussed yet is this:
Our "defensive scheme" (as it were) allowed two opposing players to score 53 of the 70 ISU points.
Two players provided 76% of their points. I can't believe that has ever happened in
Carolina basketball history. That is on the coaching staff.

Gary you pointed out the biggest issue: No ball movement due to too much dribbling. And that’s on RJ.

I was watching Ben Simmons bring the ball up court the other night and he rarely dribbles past half court because he passes ahead and the ball movement starts from there. Now KD or Kyrie can operate and the opposing PG is out of the play because he’s at the half court line with Simmons.

Problem with RJ dribbling so much is when he is force to pass the ball….usually Caleb have to make something happen at the end of the shot clock.

So why in the HELL don’t HD change this b.s. and force the pass ahead.

Now I know why RJ don’t pass ahead and it’s because he is scared he will not be involved in the scoring play at that point.But this is the sacrifice a true Pg have to make and embrace

I really miss seeing that beautiful Carolina offense both on the break and secondary break. Whatever this offense is that HD is trying to run is just plain ugly and not working. An entire staff of Carolina alum should be able to implement and enforce an offense like we’ve seen over the years. I just don’t see much resemblance to it right now.

And two certain guards are given the keys to bog down this offense with over dribbling while the staff is allowing it. HD talked about using the bench to address these things yet he’s not once done it to our guards who seem to be auditioning for the And 1 tour.

Not gonna hold my breath waiting on the dribbling to stop on its own. Im more inclined to believe dribbling is the essence of RJ/Caleb initiating Hubert's offense. Hubert has stated and coached to the strengths of having two scoring guards as point decision makers. Coaching will have to change this direction.

Now that this team has a loss under the direction of guards shooting 40%, time to take the ball out of their hands and place it more in the hands of the other 3 shooting 50+%. Hubert has a first team All American averaging 9 shots per game and its best shooter(Nance) putting up 7.

What has not been discussed yet is this:
Our "defensive scheme" (as it were) allowed two opposing players to score 53 of the 70 ISU points.
Two players provided 76% of their points. I can't believe that has ever happened in
Carolina basketball history. That is on the coaching staff.
True. Probably have to go back to the UK game in Vegas when Monk had 46 points, to find 2 players from sane team scorevthis many points against a Carolina team.
The scary thing about this comment, is that over 50 points between those two was scored while Caleb Love was guarding them.
The staff kept alternating Leaky on the player that was hottest presently. But then the other would go off with Love or Dunn trying to cover them.

Not gonna hold my breath waiting on the dribbling to stop on its own. Im more inclined to believe dribbling is the essence of RJ/Caleb initiating Hubert's offense. Hubert has stated and coached to the strengths of having two scoring guards as point decision makers. Coaching will have to change this direction.

Now that this team has a loss under the direction of guards shooting 40%, time to take the ball out of their hands and place it more in the hands of the other 3 shooting 50+%. Hubert has a first team All American averaging 9 shots per game and its best shooter(Nance) putting up 7.
Good post! The change in our offense, and corresponding results must be initiated from the coaching staff.

I’m calling Hubert today to get him to make these changes. He said he wanted Love to lead the ACC in assist….can’t do that if The Dribbler is hogging the rock

these guys ATTACKED our dribblers
BINGO!

From the beginning of the game to the end, they were in our dribbler's grill and often doubling.

ISU is quick, so not everybody is going to succeed against us with that approach, but I'd bet every opponent will work on that D and stick with it throughout the game if it works.

So . . . how do we counter that?

I mean it's easy to say we shouldn't dribble so much. But exactly what should we be doing instead of dribbling so much?

Sure, the obvious answer is to pass more. But how do we make that work?

I'm not saying we need a Brady Manek, but I think we probably need a Brady Manek.

I missed the 1st half, and was watching the 2nd half simultaneously with the football game, so I wasn't as attentive to each position. Man things went sideways at right about the same time for both teams. Ugly stretch for UNC there.

3-18 from 3land is quite awful and sticks out in the overall stats, but I will get around to watching the game in more detail later, or maybe I'll just wash my hands of the bad day and keep it moving.

BINGO!

From the beginning of the game to the end, they were in our dribbler's grill and often doubling.

ISU is quick, so not everybody is going to succeed against us with that approach, but I'd bet every opponent will work on that D and stick with it throughout the game if it works.

So . . . how do we counter that?

I mean it's easy to say we shouldn't dribble so much. But exactly what should we be doing instead of dribbling so much?

Sure, the obvious answer is to pass more. But how do we make that work?

I'm not saying we need a Brady Manek, but I think we probably need a Brady Manek.
When the double come don’t try to split it with the dribble….pass it to the man the doubler just left wide open…..Manek where are you?

commit to MOTION offense, and let PASSES set up our drives, instead of vice versa.
Sounds great, but do we have the personnel to make that work?

I was watching our passing during one stretch of the game and, way too often, the pass pulled the recipient off his spot. Which is to say, he might have been ready to shoot, but then had to reposition. Against quick D, that turned an uncontested shot into a contested, rushed shot.

I'm also beginning to wonder about hands. Specifically Pete's and Armando's hands. Again, you might be set to take that shot when you get the ball, but if you have to juggle it first, the best opportunity may slip away.

And finally, we could really use a reliable outside shooter. Usually one or 2 of our designated outside shooters is getting it done for us. Sometimes it's RJ in the first half and Caleb in the second half but, whatever it is, we always seem to have one or 2 guys who will make them pay if they get too frisky. Yesterday we had nobody.

With all the things which went wrong yesterday, shooting and a guy on the other team who averages 7.3 points per game went off for 31 point, is our FT shooting. You can not miss 6 one for one shots, and expect to win. Granted they shot 72 % for the game, but miss opportunities at the line cost them dearly.

Love is shooting 24% from 3, RJ 26%. This is against weaker than ACC level competition. Two combo guards that can't shoot from three or play like a true PG. They are Juniors, very disappointing.
And that's against 5 creampuffs and 1 top-50 team.

Last year, after 6 games, here are their numbers:

Caleb - 8/25 = 32.0%
RJ - 13/24 = 54.2%

And that was against 4 creampuffs and 2 top-20 teams.

In our losses to Purdue and Tennessee last year, RJ and Caleb didn't disappear

Caleb - 4/12 = 33.3%
RJ - 4/8 = 50.0%

Whereas against ISU they each went 1/7 - 14.9%

True. Probably have to go back to the UK game in Vegas when Monk had 46 points, to find 2 players from sane team scorevthis many points against a Carolina team.
The scary thing about this comment, is that over 50 points between those two was scored while Caleb Love was guarding them.
The staff kept alternating Leaky on the player that was hottest presently. But then the other would go off with Love or Dunn trying to cover them.

Sounds great, but do we have the personnel to make that work?

A motion offense would simply initiate with player movement and passing as opposed to iso, PnR or dribble-drive. And driving is much more effective coming off a pass than off being a static target. Perimeter shooting % also goes up dramatically off the catch, as opposed to off the bounce.

Moreover, we don't have a legit PG, who can create passing angles and spacing off his own dribble (go back an watch Joel for how that's done). Our Guards can dribble to create shots for themselves, but the rest of the offense stalls when that happens.

Bottom line is you need to make-the-pass-that-leads-to-the-pass, or make-the-pass-that-leads-to-the-drive.

Problem with RJ dribbling so much is when he is force to pass the ball….usually Caleb have to make something happen at the end of the shot clock.
IIRC, it was usually RJ who was forced to make the last second shots against ISU.

Caleb would try some hero ball - which isn't necessarily a bad thing since he is the closest we have to a hero type player - but it was usually RJ stuck with the ball at the end. And, sure, sometimes that was because he over-dribbled, but that wasn't always the case, by any means. And, as Gary noted, it wasn't always RJ doing the over-dribbling. Caleb is also guilty.

Not to mention the cringe-worthy open-court dribbling by Pete and Armando.

OTOH, the little bit of dribbling that Leaky did was usually productive - for himself or others. But that was probably partly due to the fact that it didn't happen that often.

Back to Caleb and RJ, Caleb is clearly much more focused on scoring; whereas, for at least part of the possession, RJ looks to distribute. Caleb will distribute if he sees the opening, but he doesn't look for the opening.

Which raises the question: if RJ is looking to distribute, why isn't he succeeding? Are his teammates making themselves good targets? That's something Manek did very well last year. But too often this year I see RJ looking for someone to pass to, and no one is open. Moreover, they aren't trying to get open.

RJ and Caleb are both shooters by nature. By giving RJ the lead PG role last season, HD was basically freeing Caleb to focus on scoring. And it worked. Caleb got better at scoring. And RJ got somewhat better at distributing. He's not bad at it, but it isn't his strength. So far, though, it seems to be hurting his scoring.

Is it time to make Caleb the PG? He's going to need those skills if we wants to play in the NBA. And maybe RJ's outside shooting will recover if he isn't the primary ball-handler.

IIRC, it was usually RJ who was forced to make the last second shots against ISU.

Caleb would try some hero ball - which isn't necessarily a bad thing since he is the closest we have to a hero type player - but it was usually RJ stuck with the ball at the end. And, sure, sometimes that was because he over-dribbled, but that wasn't always the case, by any means. And, as Gary noted, it wasn't always RJ doing the over-dribbling. Caleb is also guilty.

OTOH, the little bit of dribbling that Leaky did was usually productive - for himself or others. But that was probably partly due to the fact that it didn't happen that often.

Back to Caleb and RJ, Caleb is clearly much more focused on scoring; whereas, for at least part of the possession, RJ looks to distribute. Caleb will distribute if he sees the opening, but he doesn't look for the opening.

Which raises the question: if RJ is looking to distribute, why isn't he succeeding? Are his teammates making themselves good targets? That's something Manek did very well last year. But too often this year I see RJ looking for someone to pass to, and no one is open. Moreover, they aren't trying to get open.

RJ and Caleb are both shooters by nature. By giving RJ the lead PG role last season, HD was basically freeing Caleb to focus on scoring. And it worked. Caleb got better at scoring. And RJ got somewhat better at distributing. He's not bad at it, but it isn't his strength. So far, though, it seems to be hurting his scoring.

Is it time to make Caleb the PG? He's going to need those skills if we wants to play in the NBA. And maybe RJ's outside shooting will recover if he isn't the primary ball-handler.

RJ looking for someone to pass to and no one is open? No brother RJ dribbles the clock down and he tries to pass at the last second. By then his teammates done fell asleep watching all that dribbling

I will say this: Caleb has better PG chops than RJ (faint praise, but...), but I think we need to commit to a more motion-oriented approach and take advatage of Leaky's play-making abilities by getting the ball into his hands more. Truth be known, he has the best PG chops on the team (again, faint praise, but...).

In general, I w.ould just invite people to review just how many possessions go by in which only 1 or 2 players touch the ball. That is not a good recipe.

A motion offense would simply initiate with player movement and passing as opposed to iso, PnR or dribble-drive. And driving is much more effective coming off a pass than off being a static target. Perimeter shooting % also goes up dramatically off the catch, as opposed to off the bounce.

Moreover, we don't have a legit PG, who can create passing angles and spacing off his own dribble (go back an watch Joel for how that's done). Our Guards can dribble to create shots for themselves, but the rest of the offense stalls when that happens.

Bottom line is you need to make-the-pass-that-leads-to-the-pass, or make-the-pass-that-leads-to-the-drive.
Thanks for the expanded explanation. Makes sense.

Long story short with this thread, all players and coaches need work outside of Leaky. It could be uglier before it gets better, and it needs to start with HD. Be the coach and force your scheme, even if some of the stars have to ride pine for a while till they play ball like you want played. And remember your roots. CBB works for a reason. Obviously he wasn't in their heads during the off season. The #1 ranking didn't help either

Reactions: tarwhiz

I can't like this comment any MORE!
EXACTLY RIGHT!
Guys this is an offensive philosophy deficit we are trying to play through right now, not a talent deficit.
We will not have a " True pg" at any point this season, but the staff needs to gameplan around that fact, and devise an offense to best accentuate the talent we have.
We looked awesome for about a 4 min stretch where Love caught the ball on the wing coming off a curl and attacked the gaps. Lead to kick out threes and two Bacot catch and dunks.
The template for success is there, coaches need to mandate that philosophy and use the bench as motivation to remsin on the floor doing this correctly.

I will say this: Caleb has better PG chops than RJ (faint praise, but...), but I think we need to commit to a more motion-oriented approach and take advatage of Leaky's play-making abilities by getting the ball into his hands more. Truth be known, he has the best PG chops on the team (again, faint praise, but...).

In general, I w.ould just invite people to review just how many possessions go by in which only 1 or 2 players touch the ball. That is not a good recipe.
Leaky has always had the best vision and giving personality that a true pg has. Roy always envisioned this, the thing that held Leaky back from this being his primary role is that he is not a "great ballhandler" he is a perfect point forward, but he needs to be a more focal point of our playmaking plans.

I can't like this comment any MORE!
EXACTLY RIGHT!
Guys this is an offensive philosophy deficit we are trying to play through right now, not a talent deficit.
We will not have a " True pg" at any point this season, but the staff needs to gameplan around that fact, and devise an offense to best accentuate the talent we have.
We looked awesome for about a 4 min stretch where Love caught the ball on the wing coming off a curl and attacked the gaps. Lead to kick out threes and two Bacot catch and dunks.
The template for success is there, coaches need to mandate that philosophy and use the bench as motivation to remsin on the floor doing this correctly.
I agree……put the ball in Loves hands and move RJ to the 2……RJ will thrive at the 2 and as a bonus you guys to get hear my RJ slogans….here is one for you

RJ is a Real Jewel who lead us in this duel

Come on HD….make this move so I can unleash my RJ material.

Correct. You have to shift a defense to create lanes or a shot in rythm. The best way is to move the ball side to side with passing.

I have say though that I think Caleb is playing better than last year at this time. He seems to be understanding the team idea most of the time. All his stats are up except 3 pt shooting. That will even out I think.

Last edited:

I agree. IMO, the jury is still out on Hubert. He is a first class person, no doubt. But just because we got hot in the last part of the season doesn’t mean Hubert is a great coach. I really hope that he is but what we’re seeing on the court bears little resemblance to what we’ve been accustomed to seeing the last 60 years. I’m not sure what system Hubert is teaching but this team resembles the team we saw the first two thirds of last season, not the latter half.

I knew losing a primo perimeter shooter of Brady’s caliber was going to be difficult, despite returning four starters. But all four seemed to have regressed with the exception of Leaky. We may be in for a rude surprise if Bacot, Love, and Davis don’t wake up.
Long story short with this thread, all players and coaches need work outside of Leaky. It could be uglier before it gets better, and it needs to start with HD. Be the coach and force your scheme, even if some of the stars have to ride pine for a while till they play ball like you want played. And remember your roots. CBB works for a reason. Obviously he wasn't in their heads during the off season. The #1 ranking didn't help either
Amen.

I agree. IMO, the jury is still out on Hubert. He is a first class person, no doubt. But just because we got hot in the last part of the season doesn’t mean Hubert is a great coach. I really hope that he is but what we’re seeing on the court bears little resemblance to what we’ve been accustomed to seeing the last 60 years. I’m not sure what system Hubert is teaching but this team resembles the team we saw the first two thirds of last season, not the latter half.

I knew losing a primo perimeter shooter of Brady’s caliber was going to be difficult, despite returning four starters. But all four seemed to have regressed with the exception of Leaky. We may be in for a rude surprise if Bacot, Love, and Davis don’t wake up.

Amen.
Look, I'm not critquing the coaching decisions/apprpach as any lack of faith. In fact, I can see directed attempts to get the guys into some better habits, and I have confidence that will continue.

And remember the brilliant job the staff did in scheming a functional offense to make the FF run. As I feared, that has been scouted, so we're back to square-one.

Here though, I'm gonna be blunt: SO much of this comes down to not having a PG on the roster, and the reason for that was a big, fat recruiting miss --- a miss that dated back to Roy, only to be recovered then fumbled by the new staff.

Now, perhaps I can reverse jinx it, and we'll come out with renewed focus today, and the guy we missed on won't bite us (which is possible, given some of the loose stuff Oats allows).

Last edited:
We need to swap coaches with Cincinnati 😏

Our inconsistent play was a huge part of this loss but cross-dresser Lee Cassell is one of 3 refs in America we don't want to see doing our games.

"Video don't lie"

Correct. You have to shift a defense to create lanes or a shot in rythm. The best way is to move the ball side to side with passing.

I have say though that I think Caleb is playing better than last year at this time. He seems to be understanding the team idea most of the time. All his stats are up except 3 pt shooting. That will even out I think.
You can’t say something positive about Love on this board….you’re gonna get banned. Got to say Love pass and pass today…..just like everyone wanted….he even only attempted a measly 10 shots….and look what happened

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT