ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (JM game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and I guess we can't have nice things just yet.

So, we've played 8 halves of basketball so far this season, and only 2 have been worth a sh**. The first half today was one of those 2 --- which encouraged me for a minute --- but boy, did it revert back in a damned hurry. So... here goes:

- Madison was as advertized... didn't hit a 2 point shot until the under-8 (on an awful TO), after 5 3s. And for the most part we did a decent job defending a drive-and-kick team. We did get a tad loose on some of their drives, but you live with the occasional 2-ball. We weren't as gpod after the intermission, but we contested their 3s just enough.

- and whew--- great to finally see our phantom Puff emerge off the bench early!... and he meshed in pretty well. Seth got off to a good start --- and good to see him hit his first 3 (on a set play), before reverting to bad habits vis-a-vis forces and ill-advised dribbling. Dunn played well, as usual, until once again inexplicably being reduced to phantom status (more on that below)...

- speaking of dribbling, our efficiency was inversely proportional. Our best possessions in both transition and half-court were facilitated by the PASS, whilst the ones that went south came from excessive dribbling. Gee.. imagine that.

- and transition --- by my notes 11 outta our first 17 points came from transition... and then we apparently (everyone except Leaky, anyway) forgot how to do that without forcing drives off the dribble.

- speaking of Leaky, he was the rock that quietly kept us from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, with key takes, running the break correctly and timely rebounds.

- but let's get down to brass tacks: We flat got beat in the second half, and it tells a toubling story. The team had a bad half, and being candid, the staff had a bad half. Let's start there --- what does it tell you when a team like Madison comes out and commits to playing INSIDE-OUT, and we (with 6'10 and 6'11) suddenly can't even make a post entry?.. or really even try, for that matter? Un-friggin-real. Nance spends way the hell too much time on the perimter and Mando has to be a garbage-man to get touches (good thing he can get offensive rebounds).

- and once again, the "rotation" (big air quotes)? There is just no rhyme or reason to it. Look, I liked that Hubert called a couple of plays to build Seth's confidence, but after that it was Nate Britt syndrome --- no sense of spacing and taking the ball into no-man's land. Meanwhile, Dunn comes in, performs well, then doesn't get a damn minute in the second half. The last thing I want to see is Dunn get mishandled (like Platek was) to the point it starts hurting his confidence, but it's on the way unless we nip that in the bud. And Nickel? Gee, gotta love those cameos. And news-flash to the staff --- we lost the second half with that tight "rotation".

- finally, and I only mention this because it was glaring --- the zebra crew was just incompetent, I mean, middle school matinee girls game bad --- to the point Mando had to take one ref aside and gently lecture him about the nuances of having guys literally hanging on your arms. BUT, this performance wasn't about that --- it was about the stuff discussed above.

Anyway, there it is --- one good half followed by reversion. Welp, off to the great northwest and some more prominent opponents. Hopefully the guys will rise up... and the staff does some serious self-scouting before we depart...

Last edited:
I was happy to see Mando finally punish another small roster on the glass. With his 20 plus boards as a team we were dominant on the glass.

Defense is heads and shoulders above where they were last year. Nance gets after it, we are very long with Leaky and Nance. Puff as well, who rotated well and is adept at getting that weak side charge. I think Trimble's dee has been what has caught Hubert's eyes and is the main reason he is doling out minutes to him.

I thought the ball movement was crisp in the 1st half, while protecting the orange and having very few turnovers. That led to clean 3ball looks, and a high percentage on those in rhythm shots as opposed to step backs.

RJ had a nice game, Caleb was out of sync. Leaky does SO much as an ultimate glue guy. I think Nance fits that glue guy description as well. I still would like to see him eat some glass though, but he is bringing a lot to the table.

Second half we were whistled a lot more on our contests. Agreed Mando could have gone to the line on almost every attempt. Handled the pressure fine, although could have attacked it more, but it did not really look to force many turnovers. That was a struggle spot last year.

Ready to go out west, and with the tourney set up and daily games, there should be minutes to be had from the reserves.

Gary great post…but why do I have to wait till after 9 pm to read your post game remarks when the game was at 12noon. Gary we must dock your pay 10% for being late….oh my bad..forgot you do this for free.

Point 1. The sub patterns are getting to the Roy Williams level of weird.

Point 2. The zebras were plain horrible

Point 3. Nance is rebounding like a guard. You may disagree but I would prefer him off the bench to back up Bacot. I would start Puff at the four….he’s long enough and tough enough.

Point 4. Can’t replace Manek…..and we should stop trying to turn Nance into Manek. Nance is a center with a great baby hook shot.

Reactions: gary-7
Gary great post…but why do I have to wait till after 9 pm to read your post game remarks when the game was at 12noon. Gary we must dock your pay 10% for being late….oh my bad..forgot you do this for free.

Point 3. Nance is rebounding like a guard. You may disagree but I would prefer him off the bench to back up Bacot. I would start Puff at the four….he’s long enough and tough enough.

Point 4. Can’t replace Manek…..and we should stop trying to turn Nance into Manek. Nance is a center with a great baby hook shot.
Grover, I can't disagree with anything in this post --- including my pay level ;).

• Haha
Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Excellent write-up Gary, pretty much a tale of 2 halves.

1. Mike Roberts is an awful ref. He's done a few of our dook losses.
EVERY starter for JW should have fouled out. EVERY starter

2. Nance is still trying to "fit" in but he will be All-ACC before it's all said and done.

3. No reason Dunn should not be getting 10+ min a game now. Come on Hubert.:(

4. Leaky's confidence is the best it's been as a Tar Heel. Thank God he came back. Styles could have a career like that "if" he sticks around. However that may be a big if.

5. Our defense has carried over from last year's run and gotten even better.

6. Pretty good all-around game for RJ, and even though Caleb struggled shooting today he did other things pretty well.

...and I guess we can't have nice things just yet.

So, we've played 8 halves of basketball so far this season, and only 2 have been worth a sh**. The first half today was one of those 2 --- which encouraged me for a minute --- but boy, did it revert back in a damned hurry. So... here goes:

- Madison was as advertized... didn't hit a 2 point shot until the under-8 (on an awful TO), after 5 3s. And for the most part we did a decent job defending a drive-and-kick team. We did get a tad loose on some of their drives, but you live with the occasional 2-ball. We weren't as gpod after the intermission, but we contested their 3s just enough.

- and whew--- great to finally see our phantom Puff emerge off the bench early!... and he meshed in pretty well. Seth got off to a good start --- and good to see him hit his first 3 (on a set play), before reverting to bad habits vis-a-vis forces and ill-advised dribbling. Dunn played well, as usual, until once again inexplicably being reduced to phantom status (more on that below)...

- speaking of dribbling, our efficiency was inversely proportional. Our best possessions in both transition and half-court were facilitated by the PASS, whilst the ones that went south came from excessive dribbling. Gee.. imagine that.

- and transition --- by my notes 11 outta our first 17 points came from transition... and then we apparently (everyone except Leaky, anyway) forgot how to do that without forcing drives off the dribble.

- speaking of Leaky, he was the rock that quietly kept us from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, with key takes, running the break correctly and timely rebounds.

- but let's get down to brass tacks: We flat got beat in the second half, and it tells a toubling story. The team had a bad half, and being candid, the staff had a bad half. Let's start there --- what does it tell you when a team like Madison comes out and commits to playing INSIDE-OUT, and we (with 6'10 and 6'11) suddenly can't even make a post entry?.. or really even try, for that matter? Un-friggin-real. Nance spends way the hell too much time on the perimter and Mando has to be a garbage-man to get touches (good thing he can get offensive rebounds).

- and once again, the "rotation" (big air quotes)? There is just no rhyme or reason to it. Look, I liked that Hubert called a couple of plays to build Seth's confidence, but after that it was Nate Britt syndrome --- no sense of spacing and taking the ball into no-man's land. Meanwhile, Dunn comes in, performs well, then doesn't get a damn minute in the second half. The last thing I want to see is Dunn get mishandled (like Platek was) to the point it starts hurting his confidence, but it's on the way unless we nip that in the bud. And Nickel? Gee, gotta love those cameos. And news-flash to the staff --- we lost the second half with that tight "rotation".

- finally, and I only mention this because it was glaring --- the zebra crew was just incompetent, I mean, middle school matinee girls game bad --- to the point Mando had to take one ref aside and gently lecture him about the nuances of having guys literally hanging on your arms. BUT, this performance wasn't about that --- it was about the stuff discussed above.

Anyway, there it is --- one good half followed by reversion. Welp, off to the great northwest and some more prominent opponents. Hopefully the guys will rise up... and the staff does some serious self-scouting before we depart...
You and I seem to have agreed each game with the bizarre and inexplicable sub patterns. The misuse of Dunn is very frustrating and likewise with Nickel. I just cannot believe a guy that was mentored by Roy Williams is so adverse to utilizing his bench. We have talent setting on the bench this year and this staff needs to figure out how to manage that.

Didn't watch the game but saw the extended highlights:

1. I think Nance is better than others seem to. He's an upgrade over Manek defensively so long as he can hang with athletic 4s, and a pretty talented offensive player.

2. Puff looks great. If he can shoot the team has a great top 6. That lineup with him at the 2 (with Love, Leaky, Nance, and Bacot) was scary long. I still think Nance should start, but he fought to be rebounding more.

3. Trimble's effort, intensity, and defensive IQ... Man. He's not all the way there on offense but I think she has the traits, the flaws are teachable. He could be a good starting point in a year or so.

4. Can we increase the bench minutes by 50% or so? I don't love the lack of playing other guys.

5. I'm sure the coaches harp on it, but how do you get Caleb to stop the forces and harness his tournament focus? They have to be reviewing these mistakes every game....

I don't agree with a few things here.

1. I don't see what you are talking about with Dunn. He hasn't showed much ever. You can argue it's because he hasn't played much, but I don't see this amazing guy regardless. This was actually probably his best game as a Tar Heel and it was basically just him making a shot or two. The comparison to Platek... is... well... that might speak enough there.

2. I feel like we got beat for large swathes of the 2nd half, mostly only because our shots weren't falling like they were in the 1st. If a few more of RJs shots fall here, I think this tune is changed. I did worry that Love was gonna shoot us out of the game for awhile there. I'd say we played the 2nd half evenly, but for awhile there, it was bad.

There is things I agree with.

1. The Nickel stuff is frustrating. I understand why. If you bring in Puff first then where does that leave Nickel. But, Nickel can be extremely good if we let him be. He has a ton of confidence and swagger. His defense needs time on the court to improve. I actually feel like your Dunn assessment is more tailored to Nickel.

2. Mando doesn't get the pass inside as much as he should and the big to big passing of last year is lost, but to be fair, that didn't come until about 60% of the way through the season last year. But, the entire team suffers from not making the extra pass. If Mando ever passed the ball back out either, this team could be entirely nasty. I wonder if some of the hesitancy to get the ball inside is the knowing that if it goes inside, the ball will never come back out regardless if double, triple, quadruple teamed whatever.

I felt the game ended up okay but the troubling stary to the 2nd half made things look dicey. I did see Love get exasperated in this game in the 2nd half, and Love seems to love ticking teams off at the end of games. It's interesting.

TBH, l believed this team would cruise and punish the four teams we have “beaten“ thus far. Like Kramer said,
”You’re way, way, off Jerry”. In dialing back my expectations, l can see that this season won’t be a garden
party. I am glad l didn’t talk too much trash to anyone but my wife.
So, with a grain of salt, we go forward. But l would like to see:
1) More Dunn, Styles, Nickel
2) Armando receiving an entry pass, drawing the double/triple team and kicking it back out
3) Caleb or RJ with an occasional smile to indicate that they are having some fun out there. They are ballers.
4) Pete meshing and melding more each game. That dude is a player.
5) More varietous defenses and notched up intensity to create some turnovers and breakouts;
We have plenty of fouls to give with this deep bench.
6) Hubert with different glasses (or at least a pair with longer temples).
As always, GDTBATH!

This is always my favorite thread to read--thanks to Gary and the others who post here! Let me add my two cents worth:
  • I think Trimble may be our best on the ball defender is quite awhile. He often picks up the ball at half court and puts teams behind the shot clock by doing this. His offense will come.
  • Am most troubled with our sub patterns just like many of you. This goes back to last year. With Hubert and so many former players as asst coaches, it is hard to believe there is not more emphasis on getting players in the game.
  • I thought most of the second half problems were due to the simple issue that the ball stopped going in. As Roy always said, this game is much easier when the shots fall. We had some good shots that simply did not got in during the first 5+ minutes of the half.
  • Love is clearly frustrated. He admitted so after the game. He has got to become consistent if this team wants to achieve its goal.
  • Defense is much farther ahead of last year's team. This team (JMU) in the past would have lit us up.

3) Caleb or RJ with an occasional smile to indicate that they are having some fun out there.
One highlight of the game was when RJ offered Caleb a high five - well, actually a waist-level five - and, after a hesitation, Caleb followed though.

First time in 3 years, I think.

If we ever see Caleb initiating that sort of "spirit" this team will have turned an important corner.

One highlight of the game was when RJ offered Caleb a high five - well, actually a waist-level five - and, after a hesitation, Caleb followed though.

First time in 3 years, I think.

If we ever see Caleb initiating that sort of "spirit" this team will have turned an important corner.
Please go back and watch the game those two were slapping hands the entire game.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Thanks Gary, and as usual, you have some great points to make.

I know that we all are wanting to see more diversity in the mix for court time.
What we all have to remember, is that we are only 4 games into the season, and most do not have the privilege of being at practices to see who are earning the minutes. First priority as you know, is to get the starters comfortable and positive chemistry developed within that group, and that's still lacking to some degree. While we all want to see a stout bench developed, we are most likely are only going to go around 8 or possibly 9 deep if Washington is what I think he will be. If you go much deeper than that you run the risk of killing momentum in games where players get hot and, in a groove, (i.e.: Caleb and or RJ at times).

I'm just as anxious as most are for us to develop a strong bench, but I also recognize the need to bring those players along slowly so that integration will be smoother. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 4 returning starters have been very used to playing some major minutes and it's kind of like working with drug addicts, as you have to back down their minutes gradually so that it doesn't affect their overall play, much like getting the addict off his drug(s) of choice.

Now, on to the game itself:
There has been much posted about the officiating in this game, and rightfully so. Look, the game is normally 40 minutes unless you have OT. Stop for just a minute and think about this: there were 43 fouls called in this game, and that equates to a little over 1 a minute. That's ridiculous in that it makes continuity and normal game flow impossible. Those 3 officials all made calls that were completely opposite of what the foul was called for particularly with the charge/block calls, and they did it both ways on every single call and did not get one of them correct. There was an ACC office representative on hand who sat with several others whom I did not know was shaking his head and taking notes the whole game. Our group made it a point to watch him and if I am not mistaken, he was not at all impressed with the officiating in this game.

Not only what I mentioned above, the JMU players were allowed to be overly physical within the paint and many defensive fouls were simply let go by those 3. I actually thought we were going to see a fight at several points during this game.
These 3 were bad together and should not work together, as it appeared that they were not going to be upstaged by each other. In other words, if you make a call, I'm making one too, (got to look good for the ACC officials).

I would like to also mention that the difference between the 1st and 2nd half play was very obvious. The team let up in play due to the 1st half skull dragging they put on JMU. That, as Hubert said later in the day afterwards, is an issue that will have to be pointed out to the guys. You don't let up, never, and it's hard to not to as a player. I remember it was an attitude that I and other teammates had to develop. Killer instinct is a mindset and is a mindset that has to be learned by some individual players, but also collectively as a team.

Lots of really good observations by you guys so I won't burden you with my drivel this time. I am glad to see and really proud of Calebs' desire to respond to coaching. He is looking to make the assist a lot more and, while still taking questionable shots at times and his shots are just not falling yet, he is improving in his overall play and that's a really good thing for his future prospects and for the current season as well.

Last edited:
Lot of phantom fouls on Seth, Bacot, and Nance! Very little continuity since peeps couldn't figure out what a foul was so they could adjust. This is not usually noticed by peeps watching, but players usually get adjusted to the way a game will be officiated by the 2nd half at the latest! This game was impossible to adjust to. Puff is a difference maker and is the energy guy Hubs is looking for! I fully expect Washington to be high motor too and to bring his tremendous skill set with him! Started strong for the first time all year; suffered through a lull in effort + increase in intensity from JMU; turned it back on and won comfortably!

I'm proud of the improvement I have seen and I saw enough to know this team will be special in the end!

There was an ACC office representative on hand who sat with several others whom I did not know was shaking his head and taking notes the whole game. Our group made it point to watch him and if I am not mistaken, he was not at all impressed with the officiating in this game.

Not only what I mentioned above, the JMU players were allowed to be overly physical within the paint and many defensive fouls were simply let go by those 3. I actually thought we were going to see a fight at several points during this game.
That's good to hear. In my opinion when refs are disciplined it should be made public. Same as it "should" be for a bad public official, teacher, policeman, etc.
Bad apples should always be removed when found

Puff is back and hopefully he will stay on the court for most, if not all of the remaining games. Puff can shoot and arguably the most fundamentally sound player on the team.

Big picture: 4-0 and still ranked #1 and on track for the #1 Seed in the East.

Why single out some professions and allow others to go free? I think we have privacy laws or we don't, but we cannot cherry-pick which peeps to apply them to! Bad Apples should be removed. but not publicly shamed since one might be wrong!

But those refs identified themselves and their shame is already public!

These 3 were bad together and should not work together, as it appeared that they were not going to be upstaged by each other. In other words, if you make a call, I'm making one too, (got to look good for the ACC officials).
Again, the zebra clown-act was not my main emphasis, BUT... yes, I really hope thay got a proper "evaluation". I mean, they missed almost every block/charge (including, I must admit, one in which Puff was actually late establishing his feet). And yes, when games get "chippy", it's usually a result of bad zebras losing control early on, which was the case.

1. I don't see what you are talking about with Dunn. He hasn't showed much ever. You can argue it's because he hasn't played much, but I don't see this amazing guy regardless. This was actually probably his best game as a Tar Heel and it was basically just him making a shot or two. The comparison to Platek... is... well... that might speak enough there.
That assessment of Dunn iis simply inaccurate. It's not about being "amazing", it's about a kid who has made a legitimate sophomore leap, and demonstrated that throughout Fall practice to earn the first spot off the bench, only to see that disappear through some questionable handling of personnel. And that little passive-aggressive Platelk crack shows little more than willful ignorance, TBH.

Thanks Gary, and as usual, you have some great points to make.

I know that we all are wanting to see more diversity in the mix for court time.
What we all have to remember, is that we are only 4 games into the season, and most do not have the privilege of being at practices to see who are earning the minutes. First priority as you know, is to get the starters comfortable and positive chemistry developed within that group, and that's still lacking to some degree. While we all want to see a stout bench developed, we are most likely are only going to go around 8 or possibly 9 deep if Washington is what I think he will be. If you go much deeper than that you run the risk of killing momentum in games where players get hot and, in a groove, (i.e.: Caleb and or RJ at times).

I'm just as anxious as most are for us to develop a strong bench, but I also recognize the need to bring those players along slowly so that integration will be smoother. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 4 returning starters have been very used to playing some major minutes and it's kind of like working with drug addicts, as you have to back down their minutes gradually so that it doesn't affect their overall play, much like getting the addict off his drug(s) of choice.

There has been much posted about the officiating in this game, and rightfully so. Look, the game is normally 40 minutes unless you have OT. Stop for just a minute and think about this: there were 43 fouls called in this game, and that equates to a little over 1 a minute. That's ridiculous in that it makes continuity and normal game flow impossible. Those 3 officials all made calls that were completely opposite of what the foul was called for particularly with the charge/block calls, and they did it both ways on every single call and did not get one of them correct. There was an ACC office representative on hand who sat with several others whom I did not know was shaking his head and taking notes the whole game. Our group made it point to watch him and if I am not mistaken, he was not at all impressed with the officiating in this game.

I would like to also mention that the difference between the 1st and 2nd half play was very obvious. The team let up in play due to the 1st half skull dragging they put on JMU. That, as Hubert said later in the day afterwards, is an issue that will have to be pointed out to the guys. You don't let up, never, and it's hard to not to as a player. I remember it was an attitude that I and other teammates had to develop. Killer instinct is a mindset and is a mindset that has to be learned by some individual players, but also collectively as a team.

Lots of really good observations by you guys so I won't burden you with my drivel this time. I am glad to see and really proud of Calebs' desire to respond to coaching. He is looking to make the assist a lot more and, while still taking questionable shots at times and his shots are just not falling yet, he is improving in his overall play and that's a really good thing for his future prospects and for the current season as well.
So your argument is they called too many fouls... and also let a lot of fouls go uncalled... interesting.

Again, the zebra clown-act was not my main emphasis, BUT... yes, I really hope thay got a proper "evaluation". I mean, they missed almost every block/charge (including, I must admit, one in which Puff was actually late establishing his feet). And yes, when games get "chippy", it's usually a result of bad zebras losing control early on, which was the case.
I did think Puff was in better position on his 2nd charge attempt, where he was whistled as the offender, then on the 1st where he got the call. A bit concerning as he picked up 3 fouls in the 13 minutes on the court as it was.

I re-watched this game just to make sure I saw what I saw. Yes, the refs didn't seem to know what a block is or a charge, Seth picked up a couple (3 actually) real tic tac fouls, Caleb as well, neither should have had a whistle unless you are just calling a extremely tight game and that was not the case, a lot of physicaL ACTION WAS BEING ALLOWED. Puff drew 2 of the prettiest charges you will see and they tagged him a block call on the second one, it was better than the first one?

Nance, first I think he is a very good passer for a big man, he can see the court and hit his man in good position. But I really didn't like his positioning especially in that second half. He spent way to much time doing very little outside of the three point line. I am OK with him spending a food bit of time way outside but when the shots goes up and am not OK with him standing there doing nothing. I thought Puff out played him by a noticeable margin and that kid defends hard, I think Puff should start.

Trimble, the game I watched the kid played extremely well, did NOT over dribble at all for every second he was in the game. There really is no need to keep throwing shade at the kid for something he is not doing. He did penetrate the lane a coupe times in the second half, nothing was there so he kicked it back out. That beats pounding it around the horn with the dribble and exploring the lane late shots clock and deciding to try to finish over multiple defenders. I did say RJ played well, he did BUT he finished a couple drives in traffic that were hard finishes and he had Leaky on one I distinctly recall wide open on his wing. Dropping it off to leaky would have been the easy play, Leaky for a lay up and RJ gets the assist but RJ made it harder, he did still make it.

The star of this game, you guys pick who you want but Leaky Black was special! First he basically gave the JM best shooter nightmares he may need professional help to over come, LOL. That kid just had a bad night, first Leaky throws a blanket over him and then he has to deal with Trimble hawking him? LOL Leaky not only throws the blanket on their best shooter (kid been shooting 40% from treys and that is not on a small sample size, I think he was at 17ppg coming in to this one) but he pulls down a career night on the boards with 12 and knocks down a sweet trey for good measure and a nice drive thru the lane off the rebound he snagged outside. Leaky was every where all at once!

I see some folks talking about Dunn, his shot looks solid and confident and he takes good shots. Really liked the hard work when he gets inside rebounding position and goes right up among the trees and gets the foul call. The improvement in Dunn's game to me is VERY noticeable and I am very glad to see it, kid can play and I love the extra work effort I see coming from him this season.

RJ may have played the best game I have seen from him this season and frankly, he needed to after that CoC game. Caleb Love (grovers crush ;), you can look at 3 for 11 and say didn't shoot well but of those 11 shots by my count 2 were bad shots and one I could go either way on so I am calling it 2 bad shots, for the entire game from Caleb, man I will take that with a smile please! His shots for the most part were within our offense, in rhythm, and good looks, only things you see me bang on Caleb for is volume missed shots, poor decision making, and loose with the ball at times. None of that applied in this game, some of the best defense for 40mins I have seen from Caleb, in fact THE best for a full game. Bacot, 20 and 20 great showing against the Liliput National team, show me that against the big boys my man!

Styles, just how thick are the walls on the dog house he is in under Hubert? Would have thought this would have been a really good matchup for Styles, would have thought maybe we would have seen him even before Puff because he has played this season and Puff hasn't, but it was DNP coaches decision... Check with snoopy on how to dress that dog house up come Christmas.

By far the best 40mins we have seen this season, not as good in that second half but JM made some hard shots over our defense, I am good with the looks we allowed in that second half, we contested most everything except for Nance at times. Nance really seems to struggle guarding those smaller 4s and 3s, not his best game IMO.

Any thoughts or intell on when Jalen Washington will be ready?
They are being extra cautious, no one wants to see another Ant Harris situation. But the other factor is Hubert wants to get Puff in for as many minutes as he can find and Washington not playing gives Puff a few more. I will say this, there should be some real heat turned up on Nance right about now because Puff will take some of those 4 spot minutes and when Washington is ready, he is going to take a lot more of them. So right about now, that activity level (motor) needs to be humming wide open, just sayin...

They are being extra cautious, no one wants to see another Ant Harris situation. But the other factor is Hubert wants to get Puff in for as many minutes as he can find and Washington not playing gives Puff a few more. I will say this, there should be some real heat turned up on Nance right about now because Puff will take some of those 4 spot minutes and when Washington is ready, he is going to take a lot more of them. So right about now, that activity level (motor) needs to be humming wide open, just sayin...
Could be, but I personally don't see it at this point. Nance is getting huge minutes (maybe he dips to 28-30), his versatility and strength on dee is needed without Washington. We played some small rosters lately and Nance has been active while being perimeter a lot on dee.

Puff is going to get good minutes, plenty, he did pick up 3 fouls in 13 minutes though. He helps weak side well to take charges, once in the paint he is limited on dee. I think he is Hubert's ideal 6th man. Spurts at the 4 and spurts for Leaky, getting 20 or so minutes. This limits his durability issues and the banging underneath when we face power 5 sized rosters. He still has trouble holding his ground. The lefty finesse kid went right through him from the high post to the rim a couple of times once for an and one. When he was on the somewhat bulky guy after a rebound he was totally overpowered.

Puff is a vital cog, I just don't see him pushing Nance from big minutes as the main 4 or even a even split with him. Washington is such an x factor, can't wait to see him get out there.

Four games into the season and I think that Leaky has been our most consistent player amongst the starters. Actually I don’t even think that’s it’s close. It was frustrating to see the substitution patterns go from a Dr.Jekyll in the first half to a Mr. Hyde in the second half. The lack of sharing the ball was also extremely glaring from the first to the second half. On 15 made FG’s in the first half we had 10 assists. However, we only had 1 assist well into the second half. We finished with 14 assists but 2 of them were at the very end of the game during garbage time. I mentioned this in another thread that Hubert is missing an important opportunity two fold 1) send a direct message to the starters or for any player that whoever is not playing hard and smart will get you a seat on the bench 2) while developing and getting much needed game experience to our bench players. Plus I know it’s only 4 games into the season but it ramps up fast. I tell you though Puff is fun to watch! He is so fundamentally sound and he seems to just love it out there on the court. Hopefully that kind of play and attitude will be infectious

There is no Love in your post. Have you been hacked? Lol, j/k

Reactions: Goheels83
Just watched the game on replay and noticed that The Heels' poor start to the 2nd half coincided with JMU pressuring at 3/4 court.

Hubert is going to need to come up with an effective press break, cause at the moment what they're doing aint working.... the ball bogs down and there are waaay too many passes in the back court with seconds ticking off the clock. Once the ball makes it into the front court the defense is set and a late-clock shot ends up being taken.

I don't understand why Nance is back helping RJ while Love sits in the front court doing pretty much F-all.

As for Love, this was one of his least effective games I've seen. He does little without the ball in his hands and he was OWNED by the JMU #15, Molson.

I also though Hubert missed a prime chance to give the starters a rest with 3min to go and up 16 or so.... no need to keep everyone in then.... and when RJ was fouled with 1:30 to go? Clear the bench!

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd happily see a loss to also see the bench get reps and be allowed to play through mistakes.

Just watched the game on replay and noticed that The Heels' poor start to the 2nd half coincided with JMU pressuring at 3/4 court.

Hubert is going to need to come up with an effective press break, cause at the moment what they're doing aint working.... the ball bogs down and there are waaay too many passes in the back court with seconds ticking off the clock. Once the ball makes it into the front court the defense is set and a late-clock shot ends up being taken.

I don't understand why Nance is back helping RJ while Love sits in the front court doing pretty much F-all.

As for Love, this was one of his least effective games I've seen. He does little without the ball in his hands and he was OWNED by the JMU #15, Molson.

I also though Hubert missed a prime chance to give the starters a rest with 3min to go and up 16 or so.... no need to keep everyone in then.... and when RJ was fouled with 1:30 to go? Clear the bench!

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd happily see a loss to also see the bench get reps and be allowed to play through mistakes.
Dean's Press Offense is the best ever invented, that is IF we use it correctly and aggressively. The main issue was not attacking it once we broke it, allowing them to succeed in slowing down our tempo and wasting shot-clcok.

Dean's Press Offense is the best ever invented, that is IF we use it correctly and aggressively. The main issue was not attacking it once we broke it, allowing them to succeed in slowing down our tempo and wasting shot-clcok.
Agreed that the make them pay for extending attack was lacking, but last year was a struggle to not turn it over on multiple occasions when pressured, so I at least saw a confidence in the spacing and not really in danger of turnovers.

Maybe, with the lead they were content to just move it into the front court? We should thrive with numbers when teams extend full court though.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT