ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (State game 2)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this one came down to who takes more advantage of mismatches.

This OP will be brief, as I have some things to attend to --- although I may create a couple of GIFs later to illustrate a point --- so I'm gonna keep the focus for now on a contrast to the first State game. First...

- The obvious mismatches our respective lineups create (our two BIgs vs their four-out) ended up in their favor in Raleigh. Today we managed to move it in our direction, albeit only slightly. Those mismatches work 2 ways for them in Keatts' offense: 1) They're gonna get isos from time to time with one of our Bigs trying to guard a smaller guy on the perimeter well into the shot-clock --- I can live with those as long as our guy makes them at least earn their look, and 2) more dangerously (and this one is an absolute no-no), allowing them to create chaos off upper-elbow ball-screens. In other words, if their ballhandler is allowed to get to the screen clean from the wing, that inside-curl move is deadly because that immediaely gets him into the paint with nothing but a chasing defender or a BIg trying to recover in a switch. As I've emphasized over and over, NOTHING good comes from that. NCCentral exposed that in our defense and State ain't the only team that's exploited it.

- so... how do we fix it? It starts with defensive approach angles, and honestly, that starts with your initial stance. In a past "stuff" post I tried to explain the imaginary isosceles triangle concept of our forces, and to be sure, the aforementioned screens they use are designed to defeat that. Basically, it comes down to the on-ball defender COMMITTING to his force (which means trusting your baseline help) and not letting him get to the screen without you in his pocket impeding his path to the paint. We did occasionally get that right today, and when we did they mostly got diddly. But while we got it right more often than in Raleigh, it still wasn't often enough, and their paint points ensued. Fortunately they missed enough kick-out 3s to ease the sting. If I can find adequate video footage later, I'll make a couple of GIFs of right/wrong possessions.

- before I go, briefly on the offensive side, we did 2 important things better today. 1) we were better in transition, and got a lot of points in Secondary action --- now, if we can just nip the rest of those decision-making / dumb passes lapses, there is potential there. 2) (and this was WAYYY better), we got the ball to our Bigs where they could do something with it (and where our obvious mismatches were), and more importantly, they were gathering themselves and making strong moves, as opposed to just throwing it up on the glass... AND, they were finishing thru contact this time (which is always needed in a Roger Ayers game --- bless his heart, Roger is fair and consistent, but it's a wonder he doesn't have a colon blockage from all the whistles he's swallowed over the years ;))

Anyway, a win over State = Order Restored. Also some good signs of improvement with more to go. Learning is always better with win...:cool:

I like our defensive effort overall. Love stayed in front of his man well today. The bigs (Bacot and Sharpe) finished strong around the basket and played tough defense. My man Ant is special....coming off an injury like that and still hustling is amazing. More than anything they played with a sense of urgency. I could nick pick some things but a double digit ACC win over a rival I’ll take any day.

Last edited:
Positives: As mentioned above, D was mostly solid, Love was confident and effective, Harris once again was all energy and positives, Bacot and Sharpe were solid with a few lapses, and loved watching us take the ball to the basket (almost looked like a Tar Hell fast break here and there...:cool:).

I won't call them "negatives" but rather "Other": Love Kessler's effort and hustle, but the young man desperately needs to add strength (both FT's short), Brooks was almost non-existent, FT shooting was pathetic (Roy exasperated in post-game press conference as he mentioned how good they are in practice), and still way, way too many BAD passes.

Probably an unfair comment, but Beverly plays the way I can only dram Platek would/could.

I like our defensive effort overall. Love stayed in front of his man well today. The bigs (Bacot and Sterling) finished strong around the basket and played tough defense. My man Ant is special....coming off an injury like that and still hustling is amazing. More than anything they played with a sense of urgency. I could nick pick some things but a double digit ACC win over a rival I’ll take any day.

Sterling? Wishful thinking of Manley or did Sharpe remind you of Shannon Sharpe out there? ;)

Harris was worth the margin of victory today, ten points. He is the best player on the team by a tremendous margin.

Some good points Gary.

I feel like this game was a step in the right direction in our overall play. We still need to clean some things up, such as..., weak and telegraphing passes along with making a much better % at the FT line, and driving too fast and too deep into the post, although this has improved some in the last 3 games.

This is now 2 games in a row that Garrison has not been the factor that he needs to be. He made several mental mistakes that he seldom makes. All of his fouls came in the 2nd half, am I right? Something's going on with him, and I don't recognize what it may be.

If he is the leader and the glue guy, he needs to pick up his play. He was better as a sophomore & even better than that last year than he has been this year so far. Need better play on both ends from him.

Better game from Sharpe today, as he continues his up and down play. If he would focus on securing the ball a little bit more, he would not lose control of it as easily as he does. When he gears it down some more, then we will see just how dominant of a player he can be.

Bacot has become consistent with his play and that's another reason we are looking a little smoother on offense. Kessler...., well, we are just going to have to grin and bear it where he's concerned, as his development is lagging behind the other big men and him missing so many practices at the beginning has stunted him as well as the freshman wall. He will have some good plays and some bad ones, and when the good ones outnumber the bad ones, then he will help us dramatically.

Our backcourt had a fairly good game, and the improvement is very noticeable with Caleb and RJ and with some incremental improvements from these 2 we will be solid at the guard spots. Harris really had a good outing in just 10-11 minutes of play. His defense and added offensive threat is a real godsend and will help tremendously in smoothing out the offensive wrinkles that are still nagging at them. We are getting major contributions off the bench and we can go 9+ deep without a major drop off in overall play, but we have to expect some drop in play and as long as it's not major we can exhaust teams over 40 minutes.

Leaky played a good game defensively. The state player who had 20+ on us did not score but 6 on Leaky. Roy used him on this guy exclusively in the 2nd half and Leaky held him in check. Walton did make more mistakes in passing the ball today, but his 2 timely 3's dashed any hope that state had of catching up on the scoreboard.

Personally, I'm happy for the improvement and, of course the win. The difficult stretch now starts and we need to continue our improvement in order to punch our ticket to the tournament ( if there is one ).

Last edited:
This is now 2 games in a row that Garrison has not been the factor that he needs to be. He made several mental mistakes that he seldom makes. All of his fouls came in the 2nd half, am I right? Something's going on with him, and I don't recognize what it may be. If he is the leader and the glue guy, he needs to pick up his play. He was better as a sophomore & even better than that last year than he has been this year so far. Need better play on both ends from him.

Bacot has become consistent with his play and that's another reason we are looking a little smoother on offense.

Our backcourt had a fairly good game, and the improvement is very noticeable with Caleb and RJ and some incremental improvements from these 2 and we will be solid at the guard spots.
1. He's pouting when he can't score and it's affecting his overall game. If Dayron continues to improve his footwork and eliminate the cheap fouls, Brook cold spend the rest of his senior year as a back-up.:oops:
You hate to see it but it is what it is.

2. Easily our best overall player right now.

3. Another solid game for the frosh. Love is attacking the rim more and he's a dog on defense when he decides to lock in.

Agree with many or you that Brooks looks disinterested and not playing hard. He needs to act like Brice Johnson for a few games and get that MoJo back. As the rest of the team is progressing in the learning process he is sadly regressing.

Agree I watched brooks just walking around or like he was going through the motions because he was in the game.

Harris was worth the margin of victory today, ten points. He is the best player on the team by a tremendous margin.
Bacot was fantastic today. He is a very good player. Harris is better

WTH?
Any chance that you are related to Anthony? If not, then, have you been drinking?
And, if not..., please convince us why you believe this. I've got to see this.

Harris has been great! If and when he’s able to play major minutes..he has a good chance to be our best wing player

Harris brings a much needed spark. Bacon and Sharpe both look good. I worry about Brooks. I'm not sure if he has just lost all confidence, upset that other bigs on the team are better, or if maybe he has some off court issues he is dealing with. He almost looks disinterested at times, and quite frankly looked lazy today. Whatever is going on with him, I sure hope he gets the issues worked out.

As was pointed out earlier by 75 I am most interested in seeing the incremental improvements that both Caleb & RJ have shown. They seem to be playing and reacting much more in the flow, as opposed to being hesitant (thinking). A more natural read and react feel. Still very much a work in progress, but they can take the team to a "dangerous" opponent level in the tourney if the growth continues.

Reactions: Archer2
Passing to the post is relative to taking better perimeter shots and making them. That opens up passing lanes.

An example: 2 possessions in a row down to Sharpe. The first was for an easy score and the wing was Walton. Pass made it through because Walton's guy couldn't play off him. Next play down and almost same exact scenario except Black was on the wing. Guess what happened? Leaky's guy snuck down and stole the ball because he could play off of him.

Simple explanation to a simple game. Being a 3 point threat makes you a better passer when the lane is there to pass because your defender cannot sag off of you.

Caleb played really well today. His defense has improved a ton.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
1. He's pouting when he can't score and it's affecting his overall game. If Dayron continues to improve his footwork and eliminate the cheap fouls, Brook cold spend the rest of his senior year as a back-up.:oops:
You hate to see it but it is what it is.

2. Easily our best overall player right now.

3. Another solid game for the frosh. Love is attacking the rim more and he's a dog on defense when he decides to lock in.

I don't have a clue as to what his issues might be, so it's probably better that we not condemn his play and relegate him to back up status. His less than productive play in the last few games could be a result of off the court issues...(ie.) girlfriend, family problems, academics, physical nagging injury, etc., or a host of other issues that affect college players his age.

What we do know, is that he has played much better in the past and has been and still is, an integral and important part of this team. We can just hope that he returns to the play that has made him important for our success.

There’s no doubt that Garrison is struggling right now. It could be any or none of the issues @Tarheel75 mentioned. But the fact is that he’s now our third most effect post player, behind Mando and Day’Ron.

I can’t help but think he’s feeling the pressure of preseason 1st team All-ACC press clippings. I imagine his hopes of playing in the NBA were reinforced by those great expectations, and this is probably his last year to impress pro scouts. I also think he sees two younger players that simply possess more talent than he does and are starting to really blossom into future pro players. So there’s pressure on Garrison to play his very best, which has resulted in him being less effective than we all hoped he would be.

Regardless, until he is playing better, I hope to see more minutes for Mando and Day’Ron going forward. Garrison will continue to be an important part of the team, he’s just not the star I think he envisioned being in his senior year. And that’s okay, it’s a very common thing in college sports. He’s a 3* recruit that signed with us when most higher ranked players wouldn’t, much like Platek. Garrison has had a solid college career at Carolina and still has a shot to play for pay somewhere. There’s nothing wrong with that. I envy him that experience!

I don't have a clue as to what his issues might be, so it's probably better that we not condemn his play and relegate him to back up status. His less than productive play in the last few games could be a result of off the court issues...(ie.) girlfriend, family problems, academics, physical nagging injury, etc., or a host of other issues that affect college players his age.

What we do know, is that he has played much better in the past and has been and still is, an integral and important part of this team. We can just hope that he returns to the play that has made him important for our success.
I would love to be wrong, and hope I am.
Body language says alot, and I'm not noticing a problem when he gets touches and scores in double digits.

Brooks has never had a killer instinct/aggressive presence. He's not alpha at all, and never will be. His body language and facial expressions are always dejection and almost pouting. He makes freshman mistakes too often and his scoring abilities/efficiencies seem to be dwindling. He's got more talented players around him this season and he's regressing. I was actually glad that he fouled out. That 2017 class was the absolute worst ever.

Everyone else is improving. The guards are starting to get it. If the younger guys keep getting better, then they can make some noise.

I like our defensive effort overall. Love stayed in front of his man well today. The bigs (Bacot and Sharpe) finished strong around the basket and played tough defense. My man Ant is special....coming off an injury like that and still hustling is amazing. More than anything they played with a sense of urgency. I could nick pick some things but a double digit ACC win over a rival I’ll take any day.
Love me some Ant!
Wife is jealous, pretty sure she knows I love Ant way too much 3 games in.😜

Yeah Strum, but that class made the commitment to us when other higher ranked recruits wouldn’t. I salute them, as I’m sure you do, and am happy for any success they may have. They’re the glue players you have to have in order to be successful.

They are the warp to the weft of more talented players, if a weaving analogy makes sense.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Tom79
That 2017 class was the absolute worst ever.
Jalek Felton: we all know the story, extremely talented legacy player who had issues and had to leave, contributed very little.
Andrew Platek: marginal college player, solid teammate but hasn't contributed much on the floor.
Garrison Brooks: has had a solid college career, he and Cam Johnson were the only players in this class that contributed much on the floor.
Sterling Manley: talented big with injury issues all through high school, those injuries have completely derailed his career to date.
Walker Miller: legacy player, never expected to contribute much.
Brandon Huffman: another longshot, a project player that never really improved significantly, much like Manley and Miller.
Cam Johnson: Very talented transfer that had a very good two year career at UNC.

So yes, this was a weak class by normal UNC standards. The most talented player was gone before he could realize any of that talent. The second most talented transferred in from Pitt and only played two years. His biggest gift may be his influence in Puff matriculating to UNC.
Everyone else is improving. The guards are starting to get it. If the younger guys keep getting better, then they can make some noise.
I agree. We are gradually becoming a pretty good team, with potential to be a very good team.

Reactions: shun1
Jalek Felton: we all know the story, extremely talented legacy player who had issues and had to leave, contributed very little.
Andrew Platek: marginal college player, solid teammate but hasn't contributed much on the floor.
Garrison Brooks: has had a solid college career, he and Cam Johnson were the only players in this class that contributed much on the floor.
Sterling Manley: talented big with injury issues all through high school, those injuries have completely derailed his career to date.
Walker Miller: legacy player, never expected to contribute much.
Brandon Huffman: another longshot, a project player that never really improved significantly, much like Manley and Miller.
Cam Johnson: Very talented transfer that had a very good two year career at UNC.

So yes, this was a weak class by normal UNC standards. The most talented player was gone before he could realize any of that talent. The second most talented transferred in from Pitt and only played two years. His biggest gift may be his influence in Puff matriculating to UNC.

I agree. We are gradually becoming a pretty good team, with potential to be a very good team.
I don't really count Cam Johnson as part of that class. I'm talking about the freshmen recruits. Brooks' college career is only solid because of the team, and their circumstances, around him. He looks pretty average now, if that.

I hope they all get their degrees, too. They'll need them!

I don't really count Cam Johnson as part of that class. I'm talking about the freshmen recruits. Brooks' college career is only solid because of the team, and their circumstances, around him. He looks pretty average now, if that.

I hope they all get their degrees, too. They'll need them!
Yeah, our '17 class was composed of one "can't miss" player, and several others with some potential. But they've all had the opportunity to live the dream, play for UNC, and get a good college degree. With that on their resume, along with Roy as a reference, a goog job will easily be forthcoming.

Box score from state game was encouraging. Bench scored only 10 points less than starters with 3 guys in double figures, shot over 35% from 3 and 1.5/1 a/to ratio. Roy seems to be shortening rotation, as he usually does going into February, and Love looks like he is starting to understand what is needed (still a few wtf plays though).

UNC may be as deep as anyone not named FSU in the conference. Consistency is critical if UNC wants to get off the damn bubble. One positive about this season is that it has to be difficult for opposing coaches to gameplan. Sharpe, Bacot, Brooks, Love, Davis, Walton, Black and now Harris can all put up 12 to 18 in any game, downside is that they can also get 4.
State is not a terrible defensive team, that was only 3rd time they have allowed 80+ in a game. Pitt will be tough, but they resemble state in that have one guy who can really go off and a bunch of solid role players. Granted when Champagnie goes off that kid is crazy. Ironically it's a game between the preseason POY and the guy who would probably get POY if season ended now.

Capel will have his guys play hard and physical. UNC's depth in frontcourt could be big. If Davis can start hitting with Love continuing his recent play combined with Walton's shooting and Harris' play the backcourt is not the liability it was a month ago. Leaky's defense will be huge.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
including Cam as part of that class is off base. take him away and that class is just pathetic honestly. we all know it. it is what it is. just riding out the time until they are gone.

Nobody who decides to play for the Tar Heels is pathetic! Everyone of those kids worked their tails off to improve and, with one glaring exception, proved to be high character guys that were willing to sacrifice for team! JF is a sad commentary but he will have to deal with his demons without the benefit of the Family! Injury and circumstance did cause many of them to perform to a lesser degree than other recruits, but I still appreciate all of their hard work and the contributions of many who have been discounted here! Cam was certainly part of the recruiting class and no amount of revision can change that! I hope AP and GB decide to stay another year because I know they can help this team be better by their presence!

Coby leaving after one year really set us back I know that was 2 years ago but if stays and plays with Cole that changes everything in the development of Brooks, Bacot, and Black. Those 3 playing with those 2 guards improves them coming into this year and would have helped the learning curve from freshman this year be more of a smooth transition!

I feel pretty sure we get everyone one back that can come back not counting Brooks, he may leaves and who cares what Platek does. Sharpe could leave but who knows.

I feel like with the improvement this year and if Sharpe does come back we are a top 5 team next year as long as the progression on Love, Davis, and Walton continues to trend the right direction.

One more thing Black maybe the the key next year to getting us over the hump, he has to be very good in the trash role. D up the best on the other team and get lots of rebounds and trash baskets.

Reactions: Heelicious
You have to admit for Carolina standards that class is pretty bad!
I think my post above makes it very clear that the ‘17 class was not up to our normal standards talent wise. But those guys committed when we were turned down by every other higher ranked recruit that we offered. And each of them, with the exception of Felton, have represented the school with class and tried their hardest. I just don’t like to see a fan, who hasn’t put forth the effort that they have, call them pathetic.

Sorry, but that goes beyond the pale, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT