ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class...

Make no mistake, he wants NOTHING but the 2 spot.
Correct. And that from what I've seen is the deficit in his game. Like so many kids he is enamoured with the 3-ball at the expense of a mid-range game.

As for coming here, his calculus has to be can he beat out Theo (a Jr), or KW (soph) or 7th for that starting slot. Even if JJ leaves, thus willing the starting 3-spot to Theo, I have a feeling Kenny Williams ain't backing down to anyone next season.

Just don't see him in baby blue. Much rather land a big guy and even the odds of that appear long.

Very excited to see Seventh in action. This vid shows his various skills: the crossover, the spin move, his passing ability, 3-pt shooting, and of course his ability to throw it down. He needs to tighten up his handle and hone his perimeter jumper but his form looks pretty solid. Oh, did I mention he's a good defender who plays with a warrior mentality? He and Berry would make a formidable back court.

Last edited:
In the podcast Clint said we are probably done for 2016 other than a grad transfer or coaching change causes a release. He said he hasn't talked to one credible source that thinks we have a real shot at Ferguson and it's probably between AZ , KU and Baylor. We also are no longer recruiting Rakocevic.

Yeah, Rakocevic just committed to USC, we looked at him several times but he was not the guy we needed.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
I saw only 2 posts that even mention Shea Rush or Chazz Surrat in this thread about our recruits?

Surrat was a heck of a basketball player, he got hurt his senior season and his brother kind of took over (a kid we also have a real good shot at). Surrat is a 6'2" guard and QB for football, tuff kid, not your typical walk on for sure.

And speaking of not your typical walk on Shey Rush, Jaron Rush's son, his dream school was UNC and this 6'6" 195 kid is coming to us as an invited walk on, has the academic chops to come on a scholastic academic scholly. Kid has not been playing organized basketball all that long, sounds odd for a kid whose dad was such a good college player. But we are getting a kid in Rush that has the good bloodlines, has a world of upside, and dreamed of being a Tar Heel. This kid could develop in to the ultimate sleeper recruit, his coach believe the kid has a chance to start for us in a couple years, kid ain't chopped liver.

Reactions: Archer2
No doubt Dave, Rush is going to be a Hidden Gem! We know the Surratt Brothers can ball, hope we end up with both. That would be 3 of the best walk-ons this old Tar Heel can ever remember.

Make that 4 mikey, don't forget your boy Luke!

Maye isn't on a scholarship?

He counts against the football scholarship regardless.
You are correct about Maye, he was supposed to be a walk on for his freshman season and on scholarship for the next three seasons but we had two ships this year (Maye, Coleman). Maye is more of a David Noel situation, walk on for one year because we were out of ships, on scholarship for the rest of Noel's career.

FERGUSON=NO MORE VISITS!!..HE"S READY TO ANNOUNCE..ARIZONA IS STRONG I'M HEARING..ZONA PUZZLES ME YEAR AFTER YEAR HOW THEY GET THESE RECRUITS AND UNDERACHIEVE YEAR AFTER YEAR!!

FERGUSON=NO MORE VISITS!!..HE"S READY TO ANNOUNCE..ARIZONA IS STRONG I'M HEARING..ZONA PUZZLES ME YEAR AFTER YEAR HOW THEY GET THESE RECRUITS AND UNDERACHIEVE YEAR AFTER YEAR!!

If he wants to bail out in the First Round Next Year, that's his problem lol.

Reactions: Sk1310
Bradley is going to be really key for us next season.

Is he McAdoo, who really struggled his freshman year or is he Brandan Wright, who dominated from day 1? Something tells me he's in between somewhere but if he gives us quality minutes behind Kennedy and Isiah we are going to be in really good shape.

However, worst case scenario, if he is McAdoo and Meeks leaves...we are SUPER thin up front.

We have an extra scholly, why isn't Roy targeting a graduate transfer big man? There are quite a few out there with a year left of eligibility that can help us right away and not hold up a scholly for our 2017 recruiting.

Is he McAdoo, who really struggled his freshman year or is he Brandan Wright, who dominated from day 1? Something tells me he's in between somewhere but if he gives us quality minutes behind Kennedy and Isiah we are going to be in really good shape.

However, worst case scenario, if he is McAdoo and Meeks leaves...we are SUPER thin up front.

We have an extra scholly, why isn't Roy targeting a graduate transfer big man? There are quite a few out there with a year left of eligibility that can help us right away and not hold up a scholly for our 2017 recruiting.

McAdoo didn't really struggle his freshamn year. In fact, his draft status went down every year he played at Carolina. Granted, he had Zeller, Barnes and Henson that logged most of the minutes up front and he didn't need to do much except attack the rim. But I'd say his biggest struggle was his SO year.

I agree about finding another Big. If Meeks leaves (bwhahahaha), then yeah, we're in trouble. But I fully expect Meeks to be back. Even still, we're counting on Maye to give us 15 mpg and that's not ideal.

Hey, I think this was a pretty spot on thought a year later.

Next year IMHO is about MEEKS becoming a consistent force down low. We know JJ is ready to explode, Berry will be solid with the ball, and Pinson and Britt will have increased production because of increased PT.

Meeks is the unknown. He has to become more aggressive and consistent. Should really be a fun year.

OAD can help, but there are not many OAD that can crack our starting line up and that is a big reason they are not coming to UNC lately. Roy is not starting a OAD over KW or Britt at SG. Hicks is not losing his spot at PF. The rest of team started last year. If JJ leaves Pinson will not lose his spot to a OAD.

Still could be debated, but winning the title helps my case why Roy would not start a OAD last year. We are building our team like a top tier mid major with a HOF leading us. I'm not saying there are not going to ever be a place for a OAD at UNC, but we are building national championship teams off veteran players. If it ain't broke.......

There is no case!
Roy will start the best player for the team. If a OAD is clearly superior AND learns the system quickly he will start. If the difference between the freshman and the returning player isn't large or it will negatively impact chemistry or the freshman doesnt go hard in practice he won't start!

Just an example a 4 star Junior or a 5 star freshman. Who starts? Let's say the jr just averaged 8pts 4rebounds and was a back up the previous year and is projected to average 12/13 and 7 bds his Junior year and the Freshman is talented and could possibly average same, but with Freshman mistakes, who does Roy start?.... The Junior.. Who does Cal start?.. The Freshman.

Obviously Roy would start a OAD at Center this year because we don't have one. Obviously he has started Freshman before, but in most cases we have older talented players who start over OAD.

Grab Little or Hoard and call it a day unless/until someone leaves early.

Romeo would be the dream get, but Little or Hoard would be great also.

If we exit with a 5* (White) and two 4*'s that's a very strong 2018 class. It will give us momentum into 2019 when (hopefully) the NCAA mess is gone and we're already in strong with some top kids.

Romeo would be the dream get, but Little or Hoard would be great also.

If we exit with a 5* (White) and two 4*'s that's a very strong 2018 class. It will give us momentum into 2019 when (hopefully) the NCAA mess is gone and we're already in strong with some top kids.

Langford would obviously be a huge get, but he really doesn't make sense from a roster construction standpoint unless there's attrition. We'll go into next season (as we are this season) with 4 bigs. Hoard and Little can play the 4; Langford can't.

Reactions: gauchoheel
My only concern is, with now 4 (if you count Miller) post players that are freshman, is there any chance elite centers look at us for the next few years, not that we have had any luck with them recently anyway. Just have to hope these guys over the next 2-4 years give us something big. I think they can/will.

Romeo would be a nice get, along with Zion but not sure how good we are with Zion these days? I agree with the rest, grab Little or Hoard.

With CJ being added, who knows if he is O&D here or not, honestly I don't think so, so where does that come in to play?

Lots of questions recruiting going fwd. 2019 I think is when we will need a huge year.

My wonder is what position Black will play. Unlikely he'll join the Tall PG wave, and if we're pushing the hardest for Langford at SG, maybe he'll be playing SF.

I say Grab Hoard or Litte and call it a class. 1-2 guys like Stewart or Robinson-Earl in 2019 would be killer. Gives the current guys 3 years of experience under their belts as well as a talented one or two off the bench. Potentially a starter if they're good enough their first year.

My only concern is, with now 4 (if you count Miller) post players that are freshman, is there any chance elite centers look at us for the next few years, not that we have had any luck with them recently anyway. Just have to hope these guys over the next 2-4 years give us something big. I think they can/will.

Romeo would be a nice get, along with Zion but not sure how good we are with Zion these days? I agree with the rest, grab Little or Hoard.

With CJ being added, who knows if he is O&D here or not, honestly I don't think so, so where does that come in to play?

Lots of questions recruiting going fwd. 2019 I think is when we will need a huge year.
Don't count Miller. He's a walk-on for goodness sake. Pretty unlikely he ever plays meaningful minutes.

Elite players likely don't care about the other guys either. The gap between Mohamed Bamba and Huffman is pretty large. Someone like Bamba not coming here isn't going to be because we have a guy like Huffman, unless maybe by his junior/senior year if Huffman shows a lot of development. More likely would be we get a top big to start in 2018/2019 and some of our guys from 2017 back them up in the rotation.

Reactions: superstar57
I answered your question with my last post. Roy starts the player that will help the team more! There is no way to prejudge, but some peeps have proven to be so valuable that they are almost untouchable. JB and TP are two examples, there are NO recruits out there that could provide more than them, but the other three positions are up for grabs! Cal might well simply start the freshman based on number of stars, and I'm glad Roy has never adopted this idiotic strategy!

Can a mod could put my previous post in a proper recruiting thread? Not sure why this thread was bumped.

important minutes..walk-on...Wes Miller..Simmons..let's see am I missing somebody, hmm some important shot, pretty meaningful, Kentucky still in tears!!..walk-ons can earn the scholly..today's version of UNC should not be too "traditional' in its thinking

Don't count Miller. He's a walk-on for goodness sake. Pretty unlikely he ever plays meaningful minutes.

Elite players likely don't care about the other guys either. The gap between Mohamed Bamba and Huffman is pretty large. Someone like Bamba not coming here isn't going to be because we have a guy like Huffman, unless maybe by his junior/senior year if Huffman shows a lot of development. More likely would be we get a top big to start in 2018/2019 and some of our guys from 2017 back them up in the rotation.

trying to understand why folks are not really happy that we have Walker? This kid seems to have been a rail thin kid that has begun to fill out, added 20lbs in the last year. Nice fundamentals, not overly athletic but really nice shooting touch out to maybe the trey, uses both hands, kid could be much more than your typical walk on. Other than Brooks, Walker may be the most offensive capable of our frosh bigs and more if that shot is solid in real game action. Never know, no one really expected Luke to break out as he has so give this kid a chance to see what he can do. I think he will get some minutes next season and would not be shocked if he to more than one or 2 other of our frosh bigs.

Note, for those that LOVE to go over the top when someone says something like I have just said, I have not called Walker to be a all ACC 1st teamer or have his jersey retired, I have simply said I think the kid has a chance to be a player that can help down the road and may get a few minutes in our freshman dominated front court rotation next season.

trying to understand why folks are not really happy that we have Walker? This kid seems to have been a rail thin kid that has begun to fill out, added 20lbs in the last year. Nice fundamentals, not overly athletic but really nice shooting touch out to maybe the trey, uses both hands, kid could be much more than your typical walk on. Other than Brooks, Walker may be the most offensive capable of our frosh bigs and more if that shot is solid in real game action. Never know, no one really expected Luke to break out as he has so give this kid a chance to see what he can do. I think he will get some minutes next season and would not be shocked if he to more than one or 2 other of our frosh bigs.

Note, for those that LOVE to go over the top when someone says something like I have just said, I have not called Walker to be a all ACC 1st teamer or have his jersey retired, I have simply said I think the kid has a chance to be a player that can help down the road and may get a few minutes in our freshman dominated front court rotation next season.
I am happy to have him. I just think he should not be "counted" in terms of someone that might deter elite level bigs from coming to UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT