ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitng class of 2016

We're not recruiting Rico Dowlede from ACR?? Dude is thr best athlete in the state

We're not recruiting Rico Dowlede from ACR?? Dude is thr best athlete in the state
Rico Dowdle from Asheville Reynolds no star rating , a handful of schools sniffing around , 5 offers , Wake , Vandy , BC only power 5 listed. ND and Tenn checking in but no offer.

Last edited:
Rico Dowdle from Asheville Reynolds no star rating , a handful of schools sniffing around , 5 offers , Wake , Vandy , BC only power 5 listed. ND and Tenn checking in but no offer.
Is he being recruited as athlete QB or RB or both? We definitely do not need any more QB commits.

He is a bigger version of Pharaoh Cooper when he played qb at Havelock. Rico can play anything from rb,wr,cb,fs,olb. Dude is a freak athlete. He put over 400 total yards on SHELBY!! First player to do so in their programs history. Btw Shelby has 17 state titles, and is one of the best teams in the state

Bump for the newest Tar Heel....Mr. Dunlap welcome to UNC....

Got 20'now...How many more do we take at what position.

yeah, how many? With Dalton moving to DT (seemingly) it would seem to me that DE would be a priority. OLB, safety, corner (lots of nickel play these days) all still seem needy too.

He is the twentieth, but how many actually stay committed? Will anyone pull a korrin wiggins or bail even earlier?

yeah, how many? With Dalton moving to DT (seemingly) it would seem to me that DE would be a priority. OLB, safety, corner (lots of nickel play these days) all still seem needy too.

He is the twentieth, but how many actually stay committed? Will anyone pull a korrin wiggins or bail even earlier?
All seem pretty solidly committed, IMO. Plus, don't forget about the one additional scholarship going to the Vandy WR transfer.

All seem pretty solidly committed, IMO. Plus, don't forget about the one additional scholarship going to the Vandy WR transfer.

Jackson and Tomlin are gone...Caleb too.

But there is going to need to be a decent amount of attrition, another 4 to early grad, medical, or xfer, in order for us to to take a full 25.

Jackson and Tomlin are gone...Caleb too.

But there is going to need to be a decent amount of attrition, another 4 to early grad, medical, or xfer, in order for us to to take a full 25.
I doubt we take a full 25. I'd say 1-2 more guys, tops. In terms of attrition, I believe there are some fringe guys who would/could forego their scholarships to open them back up.

Now Jared Cohen is not coming back. So that is one more. Dancy, Mastro, maybe one of the corner backs who will be 5th yr... if any of those guys (all hypothetical) grad early, then i think we'll have room for a full 25. Of course if even more leave for medical or grades reasons then we could go over 25 since a handful of early enrollees could count against 2015.

Now Jared Cohen is not coming back. So that is one more. Dancy, Mastro, maybe one of the corner backs who will be 5th yr... if any of those guys (all hypothetical) grad early, then i think we'll have room for a full 25. Of course if even more leave for medical or grades reasons then we could go over 25 since a handful of early enrollees could count against 2015.
If Cohen is not cominhg back, we could use Dancy next year for OL 2nd team. Like Henson and Ferranto, he can fill in at 3 or more positions.

Are we not recruiting the qb at Ardrey Kell? He's a hell of an athlete and great saftey prospect. What about both corners from Hough? I know one of the is committed to Tennessee. Mallard Creek Ryan jones onlu a junior but have you seen this dude. I know he got $EC offers but he's in our backyard. Get the kids from NC to stay home

Are we not recruiting the qb at Ardrey Kell? He's a hell of an athlete and great saftey prospect. What about both corners from Hough? I know one of the is committed to Tennessee. Mallard Creek Ryan jones onlu a junior but have you seen this dude. I know he got $EC offers but he's in our backyard. Get the kids from NC to stay home
Getting the kids from N.C. to stay home much easier said than done. Charlotte has been a priority.

If Cohen is not cominhg back, we could use Dancy next year for OL 2nd team. Like Henson and Ferranto, he can fill in at 3 or more positions.

I was just using Dancy as a hypothetical since he was likely to grad on time this yr. As for playing him, if he is so solid that he helps win games, then great. But if i were Kap, i'd want to get the newbies the back up reps. If Ferranto takes over at right-guard to replace Landon, then obviously that is losing 4 starters in 2016 to graduation... you're gonna want someone other than a senior like Dancy getting some reps.

We are recruiting Ryan Jones but his leaders are shocker tenn and clem. The corner from Hough that committed to Tenn didn't even gives us a sniff. I am not sure who Ardrey-Kelly's QB is.

Reactions: blazers
Just say NO to any games with ECU - and that goes triple for any games against ECU not in Chapel Hill or Charlotte.
Just say NO to any games with ECU - and that goes triple for any games against ECU not in Chapel Hill or Charlotte.
Yes let's continue to play Delaware , A&T , Elon , and we just signed a series with ODU and maybe we can get Shaw , St. Aug and maybe James Peace will start a team cause those games will pack the fans in Kenan (SRO). Funny VT doesn't cry about playing ECU and the wuffies only do when the ECU fans storm the cow pasture. We might want to wait until we beat them a couple of times in the future before we turn on the whining. Maybe we need dook and moo's little black book of cream puffs

Yes let's continue to play Delaware , A&T , Elon , and we just signed a series with ODU and maybe we can get Shaw , St. Aug and maybe James Peace will start a team cause those games will pack the fans in Kenan (SRO). Funny VT doesn't cry about playing ECU and the wuffies only do when the ECU fans storm the cow pasture. We might want to wait until we beat them a couple of times in the future before we turn on the whining. Maybe we need dook and moo's little black book of cream puffs
Playing ECU does NOTHING for our program. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. It is a lose-lose situation. It is going on a date with your best friend's ex-girlfriend. Even if you win, you lose.

And don't tell me it helps recruit the Eastern part of the state. We'll win or lose with recruits down East regardless of if we play ECU or not.

Yes we should up our overall schedule, but doing so with ECU ain't the way to go. We just need a bit better luck and need series with schools like Tennessee and Ohio State to stick and not get cancelled.

Playing ECU does NOTHING for our program. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. It is a lose-lose situation. It is going on a date with your best friend's ex-girlfriend. Even if you win, you lose.

And don't tell me it helps recruit the Eastern part of the state. We'll win or lose with recruits down East regardless of if we play ECU or not.

Yes we should up our overall schedule, but doing so with ECU ain't the way to go. We just need a bit better luck and need series with schools like Tennessee and Ohio State to stick and not get cancelled.

And it has nothing to do with not respecting their program as some of their fans believe. How can we not respect them after having our asses paddled like that? It's for the reasons THN posted and only for those reasons.

Reactions: Raising Heel
And it has nothing to do with not respecting their program as some of their fans believe. How can we not respect them after having our asses paddled like that? It's for the reasons THN posted and only for those reasons.
I respect the heck out of what they do down there........doesn't mean we need to play them. Let them do their thing and we'll do our thing. Let Moo and VT be stupid enough to schedule them all the time. Another thing, their schedule is fairly easy and it's much easier for them to get hyped up for ONE or TWO games (one being against us) than it is for us to go through a difficult schedule (this year excluded) and still get hyped up for a program that is -- no offense -- second tier, isn't in our conference, isn't nationally ranked, etc etc.

I respect the heck out of what they do down there........doesn't mean we need to play them. Let them do their thing and we'll do our thing. Let Moo and VT be stupid enough to schedule them all the time. Another thing, their schedule is fairly easy and it's much easier for them to get hyped up for ONE or TWO games (one being against us) than it is for us to go through a difficult schedule (this year excluded) and still get hyped up for a program that is -- no offense -- second tier, isn't in our conference, isn't nationally ranked, etc etc.
I agree. Let them get their fix on moo and the chokies.

Reactions: Archer2
Get Real. We aren't exactly playing tough schedules in any recent memory or did I overlook Florida on our schedule. Some of our biggest crowds at Kenan were for ECU games. We need to fill seats. So tell me what playing A&T or Elon does for us? Oh yeah a guaranteed win. If you guys are scared of the ribbing that you are gonna get on Monday morning and the whole week then I understand and have experienced it but it comes from the wuffies too and even the dook fans who until recently just stared blankly when the topic of CFB came up.

Get Real. We aren't exactly playing tough schedules in any recent memory or did I overlook Florida on our schedule. Some of our biggest crowds at Kenan were for ECU games. We need to fill seats. So tell me what playing A&T or Elon does for us? Oh yeah a guaranteed win. If you guys are scared of the ribbing that you are gonna get on Monday morning and the whole week then I understand and have experienced it but it comes from the wuffies too and even the dook fans who until recently just stared blankly when the topic of CFB came up.
I already said we need to up our schedule:
Yes we should up our overall schedule,
I also said...
We just need a bit better luck and need series with schools like Tennessee and Ohio State to stick and not get cancelled.
There's a reason why our OOC schedule is so lousy right now. Tennessee, Ohio State, and Minnesota have all bailed on H-and-H's in the last few years. Also, next year you'll notice that Georgia is on the schedule next year. Totally agree we need to up the schedule strength, but at some point.....fans just need to get on board or GTFO. Illinois was an adequate OOC opponent and attendance was awful. We shouldn't rely on the OTHER school to bring a ton of fans to fill out the seats.

Other than making our stadium look purple, playing ECU is of no value to us.

Reactions: Archer2
Football scheduling being what it is nationally, we are going to play 1AA teams at least occasionally. WE also are going to play teams from the Group of 5 (meaning non-Major conferences). ECU is in that group. What you see as value in p[laying ECU is that ECU brings fans to its field and to Kenan. What I see is that the more we play ECU, the more we make their schedule more attractive and the more we play in NC.

UNC and Moo are in a unique situation. We are part of a conference with 4 members in 1 state. the Big 12 and Pac are the other leagues with such a foundation, but those states are huge: TX and CA. The size of NC means that the more we play teams located in NC that are not league members, the less opportunity we have to face teams from other states and other regions, where UNC will have alums and fans.

I assert that it is far,far, far better for UNC to play Home/Away against Memphis or Cincy or Temple or Houston or SMU or Tulane or Toledo or Western Kentucky than ECU because those schools are not in NC. Games against those schools mean media outside NC that covers those teams must also cover UNC. When we play at their stadiums, we are allowing our alums and fans who live near those places to see a game live - all UNC fans who live in Eastern NC have ready availability to most UNC games each year.

Playing ECU helps keep UNC football local.

What I think an ideal 4 game OOC schedule would be is: 2 teams from P5 conferences, and 2 lesser teams to balance the schedule.We need 1 P5 OOC game each year at Kenan to help sell tickets. Preferably, 1 P5 OOC foe each year is a major name nationally (ND, Michigan, Bama, Texas, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Penn St, SoCal, etc.) and/or has major regional power (Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, SoCar, etc.).

We should have a pattern of never - that is NEVER - playing Home-Away with non-P5 teams. The only exceptions should be schools located in areas with large numbers of UNC alums and fans and schools located near large numbers of recruits. For example, if the DFW area has a fairly large number of UNC alums, playing SMU Home/Away would make sense. But even then, I would want the series to be 2 for 1: 2 in Chapel Hill and 1 in Dalllas.

I would refuse to play ECU in Greenville ever again. I might agree to a 3 game series each decade: 2 in Chapel Hill and 1 in Charlotte. Anything other than that definitely helps ECU and hurts UNC.

Chazz Surratt is will break Chris Leaks all time TD record next week. It's been a privilege watching this young man play for four years. Hope he has a strong healthy career as a Heel.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Frazier to the whackpack....
The chatter on TOS is that it was either Dunlap or Frazier and Dunlap committed first. Not sure I buy that at all. I think we just need to tip our cap to Doeren on this one.

I don't know how on earth they're doing it, but Borin' Doeren and his staff are successfully adding high-caliber DLmen each season and quality running backs. They aren't adding much more beyond that, but it's still impressive that they're recruiting *some* elite players each season. Soon though, the "honeymoon phase" of his head coaching tenure will fall off and he'll have to pitch WINS to recruits, which, he won't be able to do....except against godawful OOC schedules.

Reactions: Beaverdam Tiger
I read a teaser on ESPN insider (I am not an Insider) Tar Heels trending for 5*. Anybody an ESPN Insider or anybody know who they are referring to??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT