ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Davis Visit - NOW WITH POLL

Will he come to Carolina?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Put yourself in RJs shoes:

Be the third guard of our class and have no chance to start next season barring injury by coming to UNC.

Or you can go to one of the two places that have promised you big minutes as their highest ranked incoming guard and have made you a priority from day 1.

I would think Bryce committing would eliminate RJ. Can’t really blame him.

Be the third guard of our class and have no chance to start next season barring injury by coming to UNC.

Or you can go to one of the two places that have promised you big minutes as their highest ranked incoming guard and have made you a priority from day 1.

Completely agree.

Reactions: dtodd4475
I'm not really worried about where Caleb will fit in. Defensively he has the length and athleticism to guard the 1 or 2. Offensively he can play PG or off the ball.

Basically that means he will fit with any of our remaining backcourt recruits.

RJ could be a very good multi year player. We've seen other small guards find success in the ACC and it would be nice to have some continuity.

Love is an attacking defender, while i agree that he will have to mature as a PG and especially in what we need our PG to do, we watched Coby develop each game he played, I think we see that from Love as well. I do not see Love as the offensive dynamo that Coby became but do see him as a more passionate defender that will thrive in our fast pace running game, nicely athletic and long for his height and position IMO.

Have to consider, it is looking like that 2022 may be the first one in forever where kids can by pass the 1&D NBA requirement and enter the draft, that is going to be a very crowed draft. Meaning, a marginal draftee, meaning a kid that played well as a freshman but did stop the presses or does not have clear metric mismatches vs others at his position, say a Tony like guy or how I see Bacot, may see themselves pushed either way late second round or out of that draft. You know the kids direct out of high school are going to get huge love and you combine that with the absolute cream of the 1^D crop, as well as the outstanding upper classmen, makes the 1&D class with guys like Love, Kessler, Bryce, ZW, and Sharpe more difficult to get a great draft spot.
These guys will be eligible for the 2021 draft. So if the 2022 draft is the first to allow HS players, then those guys will be under pressure to go in 2021, as OAD.

Then again, every borderline OAD in 2021 will be thinking he needs to jump early. So BOTH the 2021 AND 2022 drafts may be crowded.

One thing's for sure, a lot of kids will want to test the waters in 2021.

Love is an attacking defender, while i agree that he will have to mature as a PG and especially in what we need our PG to do, we watched Coby develop each game he played, I think we see that from Love as well. I do not see Love as the offensive dynamo that Coby became but do see him as a more passionate defender that will thrive in our fast pace running game, nicely athletic and long for his height and position IMO.
In other words, Love would be a great SG alongside RJ.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa

Yeah, that's a good analogy. I do not have a close handle on his recruitment, so I have to rely on some folks who do. My understanding is that he was briefed on multiple possibilities in regards to back court mates and did not have any issues with any of them.

However, if his camp or someone who is helping him with his decisions may NOT think so, then, that would throw the proverbial monkey wrench
into this recruitment.

Personally, I have an affinity for Thompson, but also like this kid as well.
Which ever way recruiting goes from here on out is a bonus as I see it.
I think that Cade Cunningham, while a generational type talent, will opt either for his brother or UK, and would have been what we have termed a
luxury recruit. Just an FYI: There is such a thing as "too much talent" and can be detrimental to a teams dynamics , no matter how good of a coach you have. ( See-dook & UK in the last few years ).

PS: I really think that ZW will be a Tar Heel, and so do several members of the coaching staff. If we miss on the 2 discussed above, then let's try to close with K. Walton & Puff. We will have to cleanse the Arizona Kool-Aid from his system on his OV, or we lose him, I believe.

Zaire, Puff, and RJ would be the perfect group to finish the class to me, but any 2-3 on our list would cement us as favorites!

Reactions: CJBlue
In other words, Love would be a great SG alongside RJ.
That may be tricky. I do believe a major selling point for Love was him being viewed as a point, if not exclusively, at least his primary role. The air apparent to Cole. That is where he projects for his professional aspirations, and is his focus. If he does not work that skill set at UNC it could be a bad look for future point guard prospects with 2guard abilities as well.

I try to distance myself from making declarations on where a specific recruit will commit. I have received a little intel that would lead one to believe that we are in a good place regarding BT. Certainly can be wrong, but I would be surprised if he does not commit to UNC in the next 10-14 days.

The OAD has taken most of the fun out of recruiting for me. I'll always pull for the Heels, but the college game isn't what it used to be. Maybe getting rid of the OAD will bring some of the fun back. Time will tell.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Arch, just my opinion but right now the only kid we have snagged from 2020 that I see as a likely 1&D is Sharpe, by all accounts he is in beast mode and is not looking back.

Have to consider, it is looking like that 2022 may be the first one in forever where kids can by pass the 1&D NBA requirement and enter the draft, that is going to be a very crowed draft. Meaning, a marginal draftee, meaning a kid that played well as a freshman but did stop the presses or does not have clear metric mismatches vs others at his position, say a Tony like guy or how I see Bacot, may see themselves pushed either way late second round or out of that draft. You know the kids direct out of high school are going to get huge love and you combine that with the absolute cream of the 1^D crop, as well as the outstanding upper classmen, makes the 1&D class with guys like Love, Kessler, Bryce, ZW, and Sharpe more difficult to get a great draft spot.

These guys all will be outstanding players for us but it looks to me like it may take them a while. I don't see Bryce as 1&D right now, I see him and Love as guys right there on the cusp but falling so late if not just outside of it that they come back. If the question then becomes, as I think it may, Bryce for multi years or RJ Davis for multi years, give me Bryce, no disrespect to davis but yeah, give me Bryce.

I know, the Tar Heel world has given up to the notion that Puff is zona bound but that same line of thinking had ZW about to commit to us and now the best bet is he stays west coast. But reality is because of the way Roy worked Cam and the success Cam had in our system, the belief that Cam is in the NBA today because of how he was developed at UNC, gives us a huge factor. Zone and Miller are smack in the middle of this FBI Adidas mess, there are no dark NCAA clouds hanging over Chapel Hill any longer. Zone will get their own LOI from the NCAA any day now while Puff is going to visit us in the near term, very questionable if Sean Miller can survives that.

Puff is very similar to his brother, by Cam's account may even be a better shooter than Cam was at the same age, Puff is not having to deal with a nagging injury like Cam had. he is that really long sweet jump shooting wing in the mode of Cam or Justin, a weapon Roy clearly loves, I see him as an excellent fit for us, so I will stay on this island of thinking we have a better shot than most seem to believe.and IMO a better shot than we do at ZW.
I agree but will say this ZW really was on the verge of committing to us on his official from what I heard. but now that magic is worn off but we are still in the thick of it. would be surprised if Bryce doesnt pop for us but that is not inside info just going off his latest stuff.

It’s why I don’t sweat college basketball recruiting anymore. Sounds like we got the three we really needed and have legitimate chances at these guys:

Cunningham(all but UK’s with Evan’s pick)
Thompson(likely ours according to Clint)
Davis(great visit but tossup)
Williams(loves us but West coast kid)
Puff(perfect fit, seems to love AU)
Todd(NC boy, UK or TX bound?)
Walton(got involved late, good fit)

I think we get commitments from a couple of these guys, but we could just as easily strike out. Don’t really care which two it is. Not gonna sweat it one way or the other.

It’s why I don’t sweat college basketball recruiting anymore. Sounds like we got the three we really needed and have legitimate chances at these guys:

Cunningham(all but UK’s with Evan’s pick)
Thompson(likely ours according to Clint)
Davis(great visit but tossup)
Williams(loves us but West coast kid)
Puff(perfect fit, seems to love AU)
Todd(NC boy, UK or TX bound?)
Walton(got involved late, good fit)

I think we get commitments from a couple of these guys, but we could just as easily strike out. Don’t really care which two it is. Not gonna sweat it one way or the other.

Well....what you posted above about Thompson is in line with the intel I have received as well. I also believe that Clint is very tied into this recruitment and I respect his judgements when it comes to who may be leaning where, as he is following these recruitments closely and certainly has a handle on the behind the scenes activities & whispers, and I assume he hears much more than he reports, as he has been around for some years and is told a lot of info in confidence.

In no world is RJ a 2.

He was a PG in every sense in every game I saw him play and he’s 5’9’’.

There really is no use in arguing who would play point and who would play SG. It's far from a done deal and you guys aren't going to agree anyway. I've seen him listed from 5-11 to 6-1 and as a CG and a PG. Who knows? Suffice it to say Roy feels he can use both in some capacity. And most seem to feel he's staying up north anyway.

If he really wants to be a Tar Heel, I want him to be, ditto with Thompson, Johnson, Williams, Cunningham, Watson, etc... Does look like we may hear something from at least a couple of them by the end of the month so some of you recruiting nuts can relax a little. I used to be one too, but I just take the wait and relax approach these days. Trust in Roy is my motto.

EF1S8TPX0AAzvRq.jpg

Neeeeeeeeext!

I'm very optimistic that we will get 2 more peeps!

The good news is...we are still Champ caliber even if we whiff
The Great news is...Roy is the best recruiter out there and does the most with the least!

TIR!

No. Caleb is our next PG1 whether or not RJ comes here.
RJ and Caleb could easily be on the floor together for significant minutes in a Roy-pleasing 2-PG back court, plus RJ could very well be Caleb's backup at PG. So, while RJ might not be our starting PG, he could play a lot of minutes at PG.

Only a few years back we had some very good teams where whichever back court player got the ball brought it up. I could see that again with Caleb and RJ in together.

We are definitely getting 2 more. It's just who.

Bryce and Ziaire seem like the leading candidates, but RJ would be nice also.

RJ just interviewed and he says he wants to play for a "winning" team. If that is true, that should eliminate Pitt, Marquette and Georgetown. Slater just place a CB for UNC.

Waiting to see what Evan Daniels puts out there.

My read is that RJ really wants to play for UNC. He spent a lot of time with Cole Anthony at the OV and they played several games against each other in high school. My read is that Roy would take RJ regardless of Bryce's decision.

What is Bryce's waiting on?

Last edited:
Bryce is expected to announce by the end of the month. D.J., because of his size, would be a 3-4 year player. That’s what we need, especially in lieu of the uncertainty surrounding Jeremiah’s playing future. I hope he pulls the trigger soon.

Bryce is expected to announce by the end of the month. D.J., because of his size, would be a 3-4 year player. That’s what we need, especially in lieu of the uncertainty surrounding Jeremiah’s playing future. I hope he pulls the trigger soon.
rumblings are that Bryce wont make it to the end of the month and Caleb Love, and Sharpe have a lot to do with it. We shall see I didn't get this from my source, but from someone I am not so sure about so this isn't even second hand info; more like hearsay at this point. Jeremiah Francis dad added me on fb so I will reach out to him about RJ and Zaire

rumblings are that Bryce wont make it to the end of the month and Caleb Love, and Sharpe have a lot to do with it. We shall see I didn't get this from my source, but from someone I am not so sure about so this isn't even second hand info; more like hearsay at this point. Jeremiah Francis dad added me on fb so I will reach out to him about RJ and Zaire
Well, Clint seems pretty confident that Bryce will be a Tar Heel before the month is out and he's usually attuned with our recruiting. My feeling is that the recruits know that our scholarships are limited and that someone could be left on the outside looking in if a couple of guys pull the trigger first.

The two primary targets that are left have known who they are for a long time now and have had ample opportunity to decide if they want to be Tar Heels or not. Ample. We can't wait indefinitely if there's someone else who really wants to be a part of the Carolina Family and is ready to commit, even if that recruit(s) is rated a little lower. The window of opportunity is only open so long.

1st 2 to pop get the prize!

The days of waiting on recruits are long gone. There is too much uncertainty and too much talent to take the chance. October is always exciting because it means we are close to bball season, but this one should be the best in a while!

RJ just interviewed and he says he wants to play for a "winning" team. If that is true, that should eliminate Pitt, Marquette and Georgetown. Slater just place a CB for UNC.

Waiting to see what Evan Daniels puts out there.

My read is that RJ really wants to play for UNC. He spent a lot of time with Cole Anthony at the OV and they played several games against each other in high school. My read is that Roy would take RJ regardless of Bryce's decision.

What is Bryce's waiting on?

See that is what makes message boards and sports talk good, a different take. My take on a comment of wanting to play on a winning team in NO WAY would eliminate G'town, Marquette, or Pitt. I can see how others my reasonably interpret that differently.

I take that as I want a coach, teammates, a situation, that I feel confident that we can win. Not necessarily one that is a favorite or loaded heavily to win, quite a few would meet that desire. UNC certainly fits, but those others would not be non competitive options to me.

If Capel shows he is ready to bring in a competitive roster, I think RJ is very interested in the prospect of playing there as well.

A OAD prospect may be more inclined to want a top notch ready 1st year type roster.

Last edited:
See that is what makes message boards and sports talk good, a different take. My take on a comment of wanting to play on a winning team in NO WAY would eliminate G'town, Marquette, or Pitt. I can see how others my reasonably interpret that differently.

I take that as I want a coach, teammates, a situation, that I feel confident that we can win. Not necessarily one that is a favorite or loaded heavily to win, quite a few would meet that desire. UNC certainly fits, but those others would not be non competitive options to me.

If Capel shows he is ready to bring in a competitive roster, I think RJ is very interested in the prospect of playing there as well.

A OAD prospect may be more inclined to want a top notch ready 1st year type roster.
There’s winning and there’s winning. Pitt has almost no chance of winning a championship.

Reactions: Steat
Completely agree.

Or you looking at our current roster and you have 3 starters returning next year:

Brooks
Leaky
Bacot

Now, Roy is not going to bench a starter, right?

Love fills the 4th spot.

You got one starting position left and you have three remaining 5-star recruits (Cade, Bryce and Ziaire) you trying to get. Lets say you get a commitment from Ziaire who fills the 5th starting position.

Do you think Bryce is coming to UNC to come off the bench?

Who would be more receptive to come off the bench? RJ or Bryce? :):D:cool:

Last edited:
I saw an interview by Bryce that reminded me a lot of what Walker said. First and foremost looking for the right program. Starting immediately may not be a huge deal.

I also think he will be a 3-4 year player in college.

There’s winning and there’s winning. Pitt has almost no chance of winning a championship.
Not this year, so he has to see what they are bringing in, coach, etc . Certainly can compete like that last mediocre UCONN team that won the title while he is there. Example of a dominant little man leading his no chance team to the crown. Butler who played in back to back title games, no chance going there? Heck Texas Tech last year.

I remember a heartbreaking lose in the final four to UTAH. Can't win going to UTAH? That is my take on wanting to win. Doesn't necessarily mean you need to go to the guys getting the pick of the litter. Means you want to believe you can win where you go.

Last edited:
Or you looking at our current roster and you have 3 starters returning next year:

Brooks
Leaky
Bacot

Now, Roy is not going to bench a starter, right?

Love fills the 4th spot.

You got one starting position left and you have three remaining 5-star recruits (Cade, Bryce and Ziaire) you trying to get. Lets say you get a commitment from Ziaire who fills the 5th starting position.

Do you think Bryce is coming to UNC to come off the bench?

Who would be more receptive to come off the bench? RJ or Bryce? :):D:cool:

I understand your comment about Roy not benching a starter. In theory, no, but if you have new players that are superior, you don’t think Roy moves them into the starting lineup? Someone who is a starter should always have the mentality that others are coming for their job, and know that they have to continue to raise their game. Roy’s loyal but pretty smart......

I don't see any way RJ Davis plays the 2 in Roy Williams system, and if he came to Carolina...would be a perennial backup. If RJ is ok with that, then sign him up.

Not this year, so he has to see what they are bringing in, coach, etc . Certainly can compete like that last mediocre UCONN team that won the title while he is there. Example of a dominant little man leading his no chance team to the crown. Butler who played in back to back title games, no chance going there? Heck Texas Tech last year.

I remember a heartbreaking lose in the final four to UTAH. Can't win going to UTAH? That is my take on wanting to win. Doesn't necessarily mean you need to go to the guys getting the pick of the litter. Means you want to believe you can win where you go.

I disagree There is winning and there is winning. Do you want to win games or have a shot at the title? Two entirely different things.

Well, Clint seems pretty confident that Bryce will be a Tar Heel before the month is out and he's usually attuned with our recruiting. My feeling is that the recruits know that our scholarships are limited and that someone could be left on the outside looking in if a couple of guys pull the trigger first.

The two primary targets that are left have known who they are for a long time now and have had ample opportunity to decide if they want to be Tar Heels or not. Ample. We can't wait indefinitely if there's someone else who really wants to be a part of the Carolina Family and is ready to commit, even if that recruit(s) is rated a little lower. The window of opportunity is only open so long.
I have been told to expect Bryce to make hsi announcement no later than next fri and it could come any day between now and then. Kid gonna look good in Carolina Blue!

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT