ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Davis Visit - NOW WITH POLL

Will he come to Carolina?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Completely disagree.
I love Davis's game, kid is street tuff and NY ball tested but Pitt being in the hunt is for me a red flag, as is any recruitment that Capel is a part of. Being totally frank, the fit for the kid with us is not great. He is a PG, he isn't a 2 guys and with Love on board and jeremiah already here (I expect word on his red shirting any day now) there is to much talent for us at the point for him to have to share time with. It is even worse at the 2 with Ant, Platek, Leaky wants to play the 2, and the FACT we are about to get a excellent 2 ( a certain 5 star kid with a familiar sounding last name), just way to many guys there for Davis to get much run at the 2 and he just isn't a 2 to begin with, respect to those that see him differently than I.

You just can't get everyone you want and for it to really work out it has to fit both the program and the player, Davis to us just does not seem to fit what the kid wants and can get from another program. And honestly, I know several here are really hot for him right now but if I can chose between Bryce, ZW, Puff, and Davis he would be my last choice, not intended to throw shade at the kid but those 3 are much better fits for what we really need.

I do agree with who ever said it, even if we whiff on our remaining targets, we will still be fine because we have addressed our major need areas with Love, Sharpe, and Kessler!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I do agree with who ever said it, even if we whiff on our remaining targets, we will still be fine because we have addressed our major need areas with Love, Sharpe, and Kessler!
I said this, but I still think we need one or two other complimentary players to round out a fantastic class. I'm afraid Bryce may consider himself a OAD type player, and ZW is almost certainly so. Therefore, I prefer RJ and Puff to either because they are most likely 3-4 year players.

I reiterate what I was saying 2-3 years ago, I don't want to ever see UNC become a OAD factory with multiple OAD players every year. Some of you do. You want us to be like dook, UK, KU, and Arizona. I don't.

I said this, but I still think we need one or two other complimentary players to round out a fantastic class. I'm afraid Bryce may consider himself a OAD type player, and ZW is almost certainly so. Therefore, I prefer RJ and Puff to either because they are most likely 3-4 year players.

I reiterate what I was saying 2-3 years ago, I don't want to ever see UNC become a OAD factory with multiple OAD players every year. Some of you do.

Bryce is not a 1&D kid Arch, he is a damned good college player but he is Wayne Ellington (I would say a better ball handler), I think he plays at least a Jr season in college ball, my opinion. I honestly think Kessler, as GREAT a fit as he will be for us plays for us as a Jr, I think same for Love. Now Sharpe, my favorite of our 2020 recruits, he would be 1&D if the NBA realized how important a center was, IMO our most likely 1&D kid, he is a freaking BEAST!

Bryce is not a 1&D kid Arch, he is a damned good college player but he is Wayne Ellington (I would say a better ball handler), I think he plays at least a Jr season in college ball, my opinion. I honestly think Kessler, as GREAT a fit as he will be for us plays for us as a Jr, I think same for Love. Now Sharpe, my favorite of our 2020 recruits, he would be 1&D if the NBA realized how important a center was, IMO our most likely 1&D kid, he is a freaking BEAST!
David, I hope you are right my man. If you are, we are set for the future. I agree that Sharpe could be OAD, I think he's that good.

I wish them all success, going to enjoy them while they are here. I would be shocked if they are all here as juniors. I think there are better odds all are gone after 1 then sticking 3. In any case I will be rooting for them.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Bryce has an OV with Oklahoma this weekend so unless he suddenly cancels, no commitment will come until after the weekend. He has a long relationship with Kruger, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make the trip.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Dave, How much confidence do you have in your source?

CM, I am not EVER going to say 100%, been down this road to dang many times to ever believe in 100% unless we are talking about my personal love for UNC sports. Kenny Anderson finally taught me that lesson!

But from what I am hearing, combined with the others (that you can see with a little searching) saying the same thing, yeah, I feel great about this one.

Bryce has an OV with Oklahoma this weekend so unless he suddenly cancels, no commitment will come until after the weekend. He has a long relationship with Kruger, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make the trip.

Will not argue you wrong on this, will suggest that visit is a convince me I am wrong visit and those nearly never work.

David, I hope you are right my man. If you are, we are set for the future. I agree that Sharpe could be OAD, I think he's that good.

Arch my friend, you may be able to discern, I am WAY OVER THE TOP for how good we may be when that 2020 class gets here! Frankly, when that 2020 class gets to us, IMO, we should be a pre-season final 4 EVEN IF we do not add a single player more! If we add Bryce and Puff or ZW, IMO we should be pre-season #1 !

CM, I am not EVER going to say 100%, been down this road to dang many times to ever believe in 100% unless we are talking about my personal love for UNC sports. Kenny Anderson finally taught me that lesson!

But from what I am hearing, combined with the others (that you can see with a little searching) saying the same thing, yeah, I feel great about this one.
Thanks for the quick reply and that sounds awfully good.

Thanks for the quick reply and that sounds awfully good.

Never a problem boss, I tell you what I hear and believe and let the chips fall where they fall, folks don't realize how much I hold back from what I hear. I am not telling everything I know, I keep those cards real close to the vest. LOL

Reactions: Archer2
Arch my friend, you may be able to discern, I am WAY OVER THE TOP for how good we may be when that 2020 class gets here! Frankly, when that 2020 class gets to us, IMO, we should be a pre-season final 4 EVEN IF we do not add a single player more! If we add Bryce and Puff or ZW, IMO we should be pre-season #1 !

I think Bryce commits soon and we add one more eventually. And yeS, my enthusiasm matches yours. Meanwhile I feel we have a very interesting year ahead of us, with unlimited possibilities.

Looks like Robinson is going to visit Thompson today. So is Bill Self

Kind of odd timing to meet right before the final official visit (unless he suddenly cancels it). You’d think he’d have everyone in-home after the OU visit in order to break the news to the respective schools. Maybe Coach Rob is making the final pitch.

Nothing "inside" to attribute this to, but I think he was Kansas bound, now he is UNC bound with the cloud hanging over KU. Oklahoma would be possible, but me thinks his family trusts Roy. Would love to be right with his possible thought process.

I want to believe Carolina is in the driver seat for Thompson but the only hesitation I have is the fact that none of the national guys have predicted that. Most seem to like Oklahoma’s chances. It seems like there is more optimism from Clint and this board than anywhere else.

I want to believe Carolina is in the driver seat for Thompson but the only hesitation I have is the fact that none of the national guys have predicted that. Most seem to like Oklahoma’s chances. It seems like there is more optimism from Clint and this board than anywhere else.

Clint knows Bryce Father. He gets his info from as a reliable source in this recruitment as you can get!

Clint knows Bryce Father. He gets his info from as a reliable source in this recruitment as you can get!
I’m not disputing Clint is reputable and has sources. But I do put a lot of stock into Evans Daniels and he’s still silent on this one.

Why would you be stunned?

I would be stunned because I never thought Bryce Thompson was coming here. I’m still skeptical, but people that are occasionally right seem pretty damned confident.

It would be a pleasant surprise, but still a big surprise to me.

So you are saying you take what Evan says as opposed to Bryce Father?
Nope. Not at all. Are you saying that Bryce’s Father said his son is committing to UNC because that’d be interesting considering Clint said on the podcast that he’s not ready to call it a done deal yet.

RJ: North Carolina was a great visit just like all of my other ones. I got a chance to hang out with the guys, which was my main priority going into that visit, to just get a feel for them and get a sense for what they are like.
RJ: Coach Roy (Williams) emphasized that he wants to play with two point guards and he isn’t taking three

I'm not getting good vibes from this interview. Ship probably sailed perhaps bc BT?

I reiterate what I was saying 2-3 years ago, I don't want to ever see UNC become a OAD factory with multiple OAD players every year. Some of you do. You want us to be like dook, UK, KU, and Arizona. I don't.
Dont you want the very best talent Roy can bring in?

RJ: North Carolina was a great visit just like all of my other ones. I got a chance to hang out with the guys, which was my main priority going into that visit, to just get a feel for them and get a sense for what they are like.
RJ: Coach Roy (Williams) emphasized that he wants to play with two point guards and he isn’t taking three

I'm not getting good vibes from this interview. Ship probably sailed perhaps bc BT?
Dominoes will start to fall and we’re not gonna get all of em. However, the more lower priority guys start falling, the better. Just means they’re prolly being told someone (or someones) are coming. Would’ve loved to have this guy tho. Sounds Pitt bound

Reactions: DeuceManJones
I have been told to expect Bryce to make hsi announcement no later than next fri and it could come any day between now and then. Kid gonna look good in Carolina Blue!
So . . . if RJ wants to commit tomorrow, do we turn him down?

If we don't turn him down, and then Bryce wants to commit, do we turn him down?

Personally I'd take them both if they want to come. Screw waiting for procrastinating decision-makers.

Dont you want the very best talent Roy can bring in?
I think I’ve been very consistent in my opinion on this @mikeirbyusa. I have no desire to see UNC go down the path that dook and UK have taken over the last 8-10 years, with multiple OAD’s every year, forcing a major rebuild every year. It’s why I’d prefer DJ, Puff, or Walton to another likely OAD. 3-4 years of a player like Puff is preferable to one of Bryce for the continuity.

We already have one OAD in this year’s freshman class, possibly two, and likely two in the ‘20 class. We’ve seen a handful of teams try the “very best talent you can bring in approach”, with a big turnover every year, and it hasn’t been pretty. Lack of continuity and experience have cost those teams almost every year.

So no, I don’t want to go down that road.

I think I’ve been very consistent in my opinion on this @mikeirbyusa. I have no desire to see UNC go down the path that dook and UK have taken over the last 8-10 years, with multiple OAD’s every year, forcing a major rebuild every year. It’s why I’d prefer DJ, Puff, or Walton to another likely OAD. 3-4 years of a player like Puff is preferable to one of Bryce for the continuity.

We already have one OAD in this year’s freshman class, possibly two, and likely two in the ‘20 class. We’ve seen a handful of teams try the “very best talent you can bring in approach”, with a big turnover every year, and it hasn’t been pretty. Lack of continuity and experience have cost those teams almost every year.

So no, I don’t want to go down that road.
I agree with you Arch but it’s hard not to get the very best guys out there. I don’t know of a fix, but oad being done away with might help. It’s frustrating none the less. I do love how our competition ridicules Roy for “making” guys stay, All the while we’ve been winning chips. Lol I’ll take that all day every day!

Reactions: CJBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT