ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Davis Visit - NOW WITH POLL

Will he come to Carolina?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To keep it real, that woiuld kinda suck. No Zaire would leave us with only Leaky (as a senior) at the 3 next season --- not the ideal depth situation.

Last resort will be Transfer Portal. Roy pretty good at it.

To keep it real, that woiuld kinda suck. No Zaire would leave us with only Leaky (as a senior) at the 3 next season --- not the ideal depth situation.
Regardless, he’s had ample opportunity to commit. TBH, I’m not sure why a player of his elite caliber would wait so long to commit, knowing he’s going to start anywhere he goes.

So either commit or tough luck. Cry me a freakin’ river. He seems to be one of those egomaniacal kids who simply loves all the attention. I never expect to sign a Cali kid anyway. So if we accept offers from a couple of more recruits, as I think we should, he’s had all kinds of time to reciprocate all the love our staff has shown him.

Regarding RJ, we shouldn’t count our chickens before they hatch. It isn’t a done deal. I’m sure hoping it is though because he would be a very good 3-4 year PG/CG. I eagerly await his decision.

Last edited:
Regardless, he’s had ample opportunity to commit. TBH, I’m not sure why a player of his elite caliber would wait so long to commit, knowing he’s going to start anywhere he goes.

So either commit or tough luck. Cry me a freakin’ river. He seems to be one of those egomaniacal kids who simply loves all the attention. I never expect to sign a Cali kid anyway. So if we accept offers from a couple of more recruits, as I think we should, he’s had all kinds of time to reciprocate all the love our staff has shown him.
If Zaire wants to come today, tomorrow, or next week, etc. Roy will have wide open arms. Don't think he will need to cry a river if he chooses UNC. If he stays out west, same deal his choice. He has earned the options, more power to him.

Roy will take Ziaire regardless. There may be a 7th ship available by the Spring.

Reactions: CJBlue
If Zaire wants to come today, tomorrow, or next week, etc. Roy will have wide open arms. Don't think he will need to cry a river if he chooses UNC. If he stays out west, same deal his choice. He has earned the options, more power to him.
All bow down to the almighty Zaire Williams.

the question is will coach still accept Zaire given all the info from people on this board including myself who all claim that Bryce is more than likely coming. Would have loved to break the news on RJ but I got it a full 2 hrs after the fact...not complaining it's nice to have people on here who can validate your info. But the question now becomes.. . does Roy take Zaire if he wants to come if we also get Bryce as expected at this point?

Here is some footage of him at Peach Jam this past July.

He shot 45%+ from the 3-point line during the summer AAU season. These Peach Jam games were the first games that Roy saw him play in person. Roy then dispatched Hubert to see him in an open gym in New York. Soon after that Roy made the kid an offer.

Note the footage comparison to Vinnie Johnson, a former Detroit Pistons player.

Then finally, note the move he put on Suggs at Steph Curry's camp. Look at the expression on Curry's face.

He is not very athletic, but the kid shoots lights out. No doubt in my mind that he will get 15-20 minutes a game as a back-up in 2020 and starts in 2021.

Peach Jam (July 2019)

Steph Curry's Camp (August 2019)

Vinnie Johnson's Highlights (Detroit Pistons)

I dont see the comparison with Vinnie. Maybe perhaps Vinnie is older in his career in the video, muscular and slow as a tank. RJ is waaaay quicker and more athletic than that. I think RJ is better compared to JJ Barea. (Vinnie is 6'2, Barea is 6')

Reactions: UNC&ME
He is not very athletic, but the kid shoots lights out.

Disagree Steat.

Neither was Phil Ford, my all time favorite. Bottom line: he gets it done. His instincts on the court have a lot of similarities to Phil's. We all should hope that come Monday, we can add him to our recruiting haul, he can bring a dimensional aspect to next years group that we have been missing since our last championship run, and, depending on just how adept he is in acclimating to our system, can make our backcourt extremely good when you consider adding Love, this kid, and possibly Thompson.

Plug and play and not miss a beat. One would think that a backcourt with such players as those, added to what we already have, most likely would be devastating to opposing teams.

Kids that can handle and shoot..., that's the key that unlocks the great potential of teams we will put on the court for the foreseeable future. As regards Bryce Thompson and Ziaire Williams, Ziaire is the more important recruit, as we very much need a 3 that has some height and can handle and shoot the ball. Yes, Leaky can fit this position, however, we need 2 and Ziaire is the one that would best fit this slot.

We will get the clarity we all have been waiting for this coming week. Look for some kind of movement from the Ziaire camp as well.

Last edited:
All bow down to the almighty Zaire Williams.
No need to bow. He just has earned the attention he has garnered, and I'm not offended by him weighing a couple options watching how the dominoes fall.

Can't speak for Roy, but I don't get the feeling he has soured on him. If he chooses UNC at any point, I think the entire staff would be elated. If he doesn't, and a couple other pieces mentioned round out the class, the smiles would still be ear to ear with the haul.

Our 2 guard situation is already a bit crowded with the guys and commits we already have, consider after this season, we have still Ant, Platek, Leaky prefers to be at the 2. of course we as well have Love and Jeremiah (who I do think will be a big time factor as either a soph or red shirt frosh) who could as well play the 2. If Jeremiah gets back anything close to his level of play pre-surgery he is not a guy that just sits and waits on reserve PG minutes.

Now I have made no bones about it, the 3 guys I really wanted to see join our back court was/is Cunningham, Bryce, and Puff. And I will easy admit, lay out something for me that plays in to our getting any of those 3, I am inclined to buy it because it is what I want to hear.

But let's talk reality, couple things have happened in the last couple days that really challenge what I was told. Steve flew out to visit Bryce, with that I have to question, did Steve feel like we needed to make a last pitch or did he go to explain that there is limited room in our back court and if Bryce wanted to come to us he would have to go ahead and pull that trigger because someone else may be about to. The second thing is of course, RJ Davis visited. Thing about Davis is he really didn't have that great list of suitors, we talking what, Marquette as the most likely or maybe Georgetown? Programs that used to be big time but programs not really on the A list now days. UNC being on his list does seem to jump out.

The question becomes, does Roy take both RJ and Bryce, with 2 ships available and a strong need at the wing? Roy likes those longer wings so I don't really see Bryce at the 3 for us so need at the 3 is not addressed with either Davis or Bryce. Sure does not seem as if Roy slow played Davis on his visit, rather it seems he went strong for him and it seems like Davis listened. He may even have given Roy a verbal before he left. Begs the question of the purpose of Steve's visit to Bryce, was it to let him know the ship has sailed privately?

Not to throw shade at Davis, he is a heck of a player and reality is you just can't get everyone you want. But yeah, I can admit, not being able to take Bryce because Davis pulls the trigger first would have me feeling a bit disappointed. But what a difference a few years make, having to settle for a fine 4 star guard like Davis because a 5 star guard is not yet ready to pop for us. A lot easier to live with than hoping we could get a 4 star to even visit us! LOL

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Leaky would be a Jr next season, he is a soph now, frosh last season?

Reactions: gary-7
Roy will take and run w RJ. We’re talking ab filling 6 scholarship spots w a mix of OAD, 2 yr, and multi-year players. Bottom line is B Rob, Rush, Pierce, and Keeling will be gone. Along w Cole and more than likely Bacot. We needed to fill out our front court, which we did when we got Sharpe and Kessler. Leaving us w Brooks, Huffman, and Manley (if he plays again) to mesh. I like that front court bc it reminds me a lot of the 16’ team w Brice the senior playing w juniors Meeks and Hicks, along w spot mins by senior Joel James. Now, the PG scheme always works wonders when we have 2. Francis’s health is yet tbd so we’re gonna take the guy who is currently healthy (RJ) and run him w Love. That’s 4/6 spots filled. We need 2 more and those 2 will come from the likes of Bryce, Williams, Walton, or Puff (in that order). Gary’s right. The 3 is the next necessity. But, w Bryce’s interest obviously trumping that of Ziaire’s at the moment and w his commitment in the next week(?), you tie Bryce down then close w Ziaire.

The big advantage of RJ is continuity. And continuity at the PG spot, which is rather important.

We can sit around and play what if and try the build the perfect class, but the truth is that RJ brings skills that basically every college team wants. He's a no brainer as a recruit.

It also means that we will be all in on our wing recruits, either Puff or Ziaire. Hope for Arizona sanctions

The big advantage of RJ is continuity. And continuity at the PG spot, which is rather important.

We can sit around and play what if and try the build the perfect class, but the truth is that RJ brings skills that basically every college team wants. He's a no brainer as a recruit.

It also means that we will be all in on our wing recruits, either Puff or Ziaire. Hope for Arizona sanctions
And USC ;)

Our 2 guard situation is already a bit crowded with the guys and commits we already have, consider after this season, we have still Ant, Platek, Leaky prefers to be at the 2.
We do, but if we add RJ, I think Leaky will spend a lot of time at the SF spot. Zaire would be a one year, stop gap at the SF spot. I agree that we need another SF, but I think we need someone who is going to be around for 3-4 years. If Leaky blossoms the way I think he will, he might be gone after his junior year. So even if we get Zaire, he and Leaky could well be gone after the '20-21 season, meaning we would need to sign an immediate impact recruit at the SF spot.
Of course we as well have Love and Jeremiah (who I do think will be a big time factor as either a soph or red shirt frosh) who could as well play the 2. If Jeremiah gets back anything close to his level of play pre-surgery he is not a guy that just sits and waits on reserve PG minutes.
That's a very big "if". I don't think we can count on him being the pre-injury player that he once was. We know Cole is OAD, and Love could very well be too. Roy will never get caught without a top flight PG again. It's the one position that you can't allow to deteriorate significantly, and we've been injury prone for a long time now. IMO we need RJ to ensure that doesn't happen.
Did Steve feel like we needed to make a last pitch or did he go to explain that there is limited room in our back court and if Bryce wanted to come to us he would have to go ahead and pull that trigger because someone else may be about to.
I think it was both, but mostly the second part.
The second thing is of course, RJ Davis visited. Thing about Davis is he really didn't have that great list of suitors, we talking what, Marquette as the most likely or maybe Georgetown? Programs that used to be big time but programs not really on the A list now days. UNC being on his list does seem to jump out.
He's blown up recently, his list of offers includes Georgetown, Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Marquette, Pitt, and UCLA. That's an impressive list of suitors.

Not to throw shade at Davis, he is a heck of a player and reality is you just can't get everyone you want. But yeah, I can admit, not being able to take Bryce because Davis pulls the trigger first would have me feeling a bit disappointed.
Not me, a bird in the hand... And I don't feel the two are mutually exclusive. And yes, after a few years of struggling on the recruiting trail(relatively speaking), it's a nice problem to have.

Hey everybody, Pitt fan here. Just wanted to say that Coach Capel has a great relationship and here's an article from Corey Evans:
Also John Hugley, our latest commit:

Am I saying RJ is Pitt bound? No, but he's now our top target and Capel is building something special up here in Pittsburgh. We're still a few years away from contending but hopefully with a 20-win season we can start to make some noise.
Thanks Everyone!

Hey everybody, Pitt fan here. Just wanted to say that Coach Capel has a great relationship and here's an article from Corey Evans:
Also John Hugley, our latest commit:

Am I saying RJ is Pitt bound? No, but he's now our top target and Capel is building something special up here in Pittsburgh. We're still a few years away from contending but hopefully with a 20-win season we can start to make some noise.
Thanks Everyone!
no doubt I have no issue with Pitt other than you guys hired a known cheater, and I hope he changed but he left Oklahoma under sanctions... best of luck everything I have gotten from other sites and a source connected to unc is that he will be a heel. of course this is second hand info nothing like when I talked to one of our pg's parents and recruiting changes every second on the whim of a teen
good luck on your season until you play us

Feel like there would be crystal ball predictions flooding in for UNC if

I also feel like the national "experts" would be jumping all over this if Davis were actually that close to committing. If it weren't for our regulars, like Clint, dadika, and raider, I would be very suspicious of our new friend Jared being a classic Trojan horse style troll. I hope that is not the case and we have another source of really good Intel.

Until he, or any other recruit, actually commits, I will remain hopefully optimistic.

Well, as we've seen too often, lazy analysis being propagated out there. Bryce is a 1 about like Wayne Ellington was a 1. In other words, no.
Making it all the more reasonable to accept both if they are interested. Unless maybe we want to save a scholarship for someone else, such as Zaire.

I also feel like the national "experts" would be jumping all over this if Davis were actually that close to committing. If it weren't for our regulars, like Clint, dadika, and raider, I would be very suspicious of our new friend Jared being a classic Trojan horse style troll. I hope that is not the case and we have another source of really good Intel.

Until he, or any other recruit, actually commits, I will remain hopefully optimistic.
I suspect he just isn't high on the predictors' radar. Only #57. He wasn't even a top 200 player last May.

Or he's playing it close.

Or both.

BTW, we just picked up another prediction. We now have 3, to 1 each for Marquette and Pitt.

And that new prediction is from everyone's favorite EVAN DANIELS.

Here is some footage of him at Peach Jam this past July.

He shot 45%+ from the 3-point line during the summer AAU season. These Peach Jam games were the first games that Roy saw him play in person. Roy then dispatched Hubert to see him in an open gym in New York. Soon after that Roy made the kid an offer.

Note the footage comparison to Vinnie Johnson, a former Detroit Pistons player.

Then finally, note the move he put on Suggs at Steph Curry's camp. Look at the expression on Curry's face.

He is not very athletic, but the kid shoots lights out. No doubt in my mind that he will get 15-20 minutes a game as a back-up in 2020 and starts in 2021.

Peach Jam (July 2019)

Looked like he carried the ball twice, and then pushed off.

Adding RJ to our class moves us from #3 in the nation to, um, #3 in the nation.

Oh well.

If we also add Ziaire, we then jump to #1, although I doubt that will last.

If we add Bryce instead of Ziaire, we edge past UK into #2. But, again, that probably doesn't last.

Not that it matters, but it's amusing to look it up.

Jared, I want to offer you a job. Working part-time from your home a few hours a week. Internet Recruiting stuff-$15 hour...If interested..send an email to openingdaygame@gmail.com
Our 2 guard situation is already a bit crowded with the guys and commits we already have, consider after this season, we have still Ant, Platek, Leaky prefers to be at the 2. of course we as well have Love and Jeremiah (who I do think will be a big time factor as either a soph or red shirt frosh) who could as well play the 2. If Jeremiah gets back anything close to his level of play pre-surgery he is not a guy that just sits and waits on reserve PG minutes.

Now I have made no bones about it, the 3 guys I really wanted to see join our back court was/is Cunningham, Bryce, and Puff. And I will easy admit, lay out something for me that plays in to our getting any of those 3, I am inclined to buy it because it is what I want to hear.

But let's talk reality, couple things have happened in the last couple days that really challenge what I was told. Steve flew out to visit Bryce, with that I have to question, did Steve feel like we needed to make a last pitch or did he go to explain that there is limited room in our back court and if Bryce wanted to come to us he would have to go ahead and pull that trigger because someone else may be about to. The second thing is of course, RJ Davis visited. Thing about Davis is he really didn't have that great list of suitors, we talking what, Marquette as the most likely or maybe Georgetown? Programs that used to be big time but programs not really on the A list now days. UNC being on his list does seem to jump out.

The question becomes, does Roy take both RJ and Bryce, with 2 ships available and a strong need at the wing? Roy likes those longer wings so I don't really see Bryce at the 3 for us so need at the 3 is not addressed with either Davis or Bryce. Sure does not seem as if Roy slow played Davis on his visit, rather it seems he went strong for him and it seems like Davis listened. He may even have given Roy a verbal before he left. Begs the question of the purpose of Steve's visit to Bryce, was it to let him know the ship has sailed privately?

Not to throw shade at Davis, he is a heck of a player and reality is you just can't get everyone you want. But yeah, I can admit, not being able to take Bryce because Davis pulls the trigger first would have me feeling a bit disappointed. But what a difference a few years make, having to settle for a fine 4 star guard like Davis because a 5 star guard is not yet ready to pop for us. A lot easier to live with than hoping we could get a 4 star to even visit us! LOL
Those are great points. I was looking at our projected team for next year and it is unbelievable. This is possibly our roster for next year: Back Court: Caleb Love ( he just has that it factor ),Anthony Harris ( which if he can comeback from his injury he is amazing, especially defensively, Jeremiah Francis ( I just love this kid and with a possible redshirt for this year hopefully he can get back to his game, if he had not gotten hurt I believe he would have been a five star recruit), Bryce Thompson ( Wayne Ellington II ), RJ Davis ( the kid can just score and shoot, he can change direction on a dime ), Leaky Black ( utility player who doesn’t make many mistakes and makes everyone better ), Andrew Platek ( the kid can really shoot and I believe he is extremely underestimated ), Ziare Williams ( just damn! ), Front Court: Walker Kessler ( a nightmare match up and a hybrid big man ) , Sharpe ( the kid is a monster and he is getting better everyday), Brooks ( possible four year starter at The Blue Blood Program ), Sterling Manley, Huffman, Walker Miller, K.J. Smith. So that’s, Caleb, RJ, Bryce, Anthony, Jeremiah, Platek, Z. Williams, Leaky, Sharpe, Kessler, Brooks, Manley, Huffman and K.J. and Walker and Ryan. That is a lot of talent and skill right there. Top Back Court: Chapel Hill ( minimum Top 2), Front Court: The Same. Practice would be extremely competitive. Just Wow

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT