ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like the Band will stay intact

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
Mack and his staff had brutal talks about the year ...game by game analysis, Open and honest team and staff analysis Well what'd you think>> Looks as if no changes to staff> Personally I think two have to go.... D and special teams. But coach Methuselah is sticking with the band on a glass half full approach. Please discuss

If there are no changes in staff, I look for next year to be Mack's last in Chapel Hill.

That tells me that Mack has no urgency to win and Bubba hasn't pushed him because he's scared of the money guys. Maybe when they see some empty seats they will change their mind. Of course, I guess there is always a chance they figure out how to be better, but my belief in them (or at least some of them) is basically zero at this point. They've entered the "show me" stage at this point.

If you're a glass half full type of person, I guess you could say it sounds like he has told the staff this is their last chance, but that shouldn't be an option if you want big time football.

Reactions: strummingram
Mack and his staff had brutal talks about the year ...game by game analysis, Open and honest team and staff analysis Well what'd you think>> Looks as if no changes to staff> Personally I think two have to go.... D and special teams. But coach Methuselah is sticking with the band on a glass half full approach. Please discuss

It's a jimmy and joe and not a x's and o problem, IMO, for those two units. Once more of the younger more talented guys start seeing the field, you'll start seeing improvements. Want to see what Bateman can do with Silver, Murphy, Ritzie, Shaw, KBJ, Rucker, Gray, Duck, Grimes, Boykins, RaRa, Conley etc do getting all the reps. Gemmel, McMichael, Morrison, Vohasek, Asante all just had way too many limitations. Kelly also needs to see less reps next season or we'll just continue to see what happened the last 120 seconds of the State game again next year. Maybe Sinclair can beat him out.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
It's a jimmy and joe and not a x's and o problem, IMO, for those two units. Once more of the younger more talented guys start seeing the field, you'll start seeing improvements. Want to see what Bateman can do with Silver, Murphy, Ritzie, Shaw, KBJ, Rucker, Gray, Duck, Grimes, Boykins, RaRa, Conley etc do getting all the reps. Gemmel, McMichael, Morrison, Vohasek, Asante all just had way too many limitations. Kelly also needs to see less reps next season or we'll just continue to see what happened the last 120 seconds of the State game again next year. Maybe Sinclair can beat him out.
Our D was near bottom of P5. Plenty of teams have less talent/experience than we do. Very good speed and okay size in our back 7.

I guess you could blame jimmy/joes on the DL due to youth, but again, does that warrant how bad we were compared to the rest of the nation?

We were pretty healthy too on the defensive side.
Only secondary was hit:
-Don Chapman could have played instead of Cam'Ron. Maybe he was our biggest loss.
-Not having Storm hurt, but we were returning last yr's starters who were both Clemson recruits.
-Missed Conley vs ncsu.
-DeAndre Hollins is second-string at best.

As for the front:
- Tyrone Hopper probably wasn't going to out-perform Chris Collins, Tomon or Des Evans.
- Silver / KBJ were dinged up, but they weren't close to being starters or playing much more than the other guys.

With the speed and experience in the back 7 either the front 4 jimmy/joe are awful or the X&O's was bad. Maybe they're awful but they don't look it considering the experience (Tomon/Collins/Vohasek/Tomari) and the amount of depth up there despite youth.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind them getting rid of the S&C staff. The coaching was suspect, but I think S&C also had issues. The lines had trouble with almost every opponent this year. That can't just be a coaching issue. But, I guess I'm not going to see any changes. That's disappointing, but I had already lowered my expectations for next year. I'm prepared for 6-7 wins and another irrelevant bowl.

Our D was near bottom of P5. Plenty of teams have less talent/experience than we do. Very good speed and okay size in our back 7.

I guess you could blame jimmy/joes on the DL due to youth, but again, plenty again, does that warrant how bad we were compared to the rest of the nation?

We were pretty healthy too on the defensive side.
Only secondary was hit:
-Don Chapman could have played instead of Cam'Ron. Maybe he was our biggest loss.
-Not having Storm hurt, but we were returning last yr's starters who were both Clemson recruits.
-Missed Conley vs ncsu.
-DeAndre Hollins is second-string at best.

As for the front:
- Tyrone Hopper probably wasn't going to out-perform Chris Collins, Tomon or Des Evans.
- Silver / KBJ were dinged up, but they weren't close to being starters or playing much more than the other guys.

With the speed and experience in the back 7 either the front 4 jimmy/joe are awful or the X&O's was bad.
Duck playing 1 full game last year and just a few this year has been a massive blow to the secondary the last few years. Still haven't seen a healthy Duck opposite Grimes, hopefully we'll see that in 2022.

There is a reason those two recruits didn't get playing time for Clemson. They've been dreadful for UNC. You really think Dre' isn't telling all these DB's to turn their heads and play the ball?

The DL needs dudes, and not the dudes from the past few years. You'll see the difference when Silver, Shaw, Murphy, KBJ, Ritzie are getting the snaps.

I've always thought coaching gets way too much credit and way too much of the blame. Do they matter? Sure, you always want to put your guys in the best position to succeed, but you have to have high quality athletes to get it done.

The pressure is on Mack and the staff to turn this thing around. They overachieved in 2019 and as result, the pressure was off. 2020, some bad L's but an Orange Bowl appearance again kept the pressure a bit off. After this year, the pressure is red hot and I truly believe you'll start seeing the turn around we've been waiting years for. I would be utterly shocked if we didn't see a lot of these true freshman, redshirt freshman get major burn early next year.

My problem with Bateman is he needs to decide on the damn D we're playing. Either play a 3 man front or a true 4 man front. We are are recruiting bigs for 3 man front while also recruiting lots of DE/OLB which is just stupid. That also has to way complicate the D calls. We played our best D the 1st year when he went almost exclusively with 3 bigs which is what I think he needs to stick with. That ties up the Online pretty well and then let's the LBs to use their speed to get to the QB and running backs.

Reactions: riverswe
My problem with Bateman is he needs to decide on the damn D we're playing. Either play a 3 man front or a true 4 man front. We are are recruiting bigs for 3 man front while also recruiting lots of DE/OLB which is just stupid. That also has to way complicate the D calls. We played our best D the 1st year when he went almost exclusively with 3 bigs which is what I think he needs to stick with. That ties up the Online pretty well and then let's the LBs to use their speed to get to the QB and running backs.
You have to have DE's, OLB's and true NT's for this defense. The first year you're referring to had perfect pieces in Strowbridge (6'4 270) and Crawford (6'1 310) along with Chazz at MLB that could rush the passer. Next year, they'll have the DE's and NT's in Shaw, Ritzie, Murphy, Silver, Rucker and the ILB duo of Gray and Echols that can replicate that 2019 defense that was successful. The OLB play is what is missing. Hopefully Evans can take that next step and Hamrick, Atkinson, Jennings and Stevenson can follow suit.

No way the Beatles would boot anybody from the band, so why would Mack?

Wait, you mean that the Beatles fired original drummer Pete Best and hired Ringo Starr, who already was accepted as the best rock 'n' roll drummer in Liverpool and had his own personal fan club? And that was when the band took off into the stratosphere?

If I got to fire two, and only 2, they would be: Searels (OL) and Dewitt (ST).

We're not going to play 3 bigs and 2 OLB at the same time as nowadays with spread offense you're pretty much always playing 5 secondary guys. Since we'll always have 2 bigs and 2 ILB then the question is who plays at the 2 other spots. If you go with 2 OLB then why have so many bigs and if you go with a 3rd big and just 1 OLB/DE then why have so many of them. Settle on 1 damn main front and recruit that way. Unless we get top level DEs that can really rush the QB, I'd rather play 3 bigs and go with 3 true LB.

There is a reason those two recruits didn't get playing time for Clemson. They've been dreadful for UNC. You really think Dre' isn't telling all these DB's to turn their heads and play the ball?
I was referring to Grimes as the other Clemson recruit. But McMichael isn't that bad. He's fast, he's a good tackler and his front 4 get zero push or only try to occupy blockers.

I've always thought coaching gets way too much credit and way too much of the blame. Do they matter? Sure, you always want to put your guys in the best position to succeed, but you have to have high quality athletes to get it done.
Agreed, but i'm not asking for a top-25 from this group, rather something closer to 50 than 100.
We're 97th defensively per S&P+

If no changes I’m shocked. With that being said Bateman has a chance to show what he can do against a below average team. lil Carolina isn’t that good so he should be able to devise a game plan to if not shut them out at least contain them very well. If not mack needs to pull the trigger.

Surprising, but not surprising. Mack has his strengths. Raising money, recruiting, and the unique personality that makes everybody feel good. But one of Mack's weaknesses is that he is often loyal to a fault. I guess Mack has decided to sink, or swim, with this bunch. And not sure what choice he may have had. At his age especially. After the overwhelming disappointment that this year became, Mack is on somewhat of a hot seat going into next year. I don't think they would outright fire Mack, but would convince him that it would be time to ride off in the sunset if much progress isn't seen in 22. Not many top flight assistants are going to be willing to walk into that type of situation.

This is extra frustrating because over achieving at all in the next two years means we get stuck with this staff even longer.

Not many top flight assistants are going to be willing to walk into that type of situation.
I kind of look at it in the opposite direction. Plenty of talent in place to coach and improve. With a head coach who will be gone, win or lose in the next few years, you're setting yourself up to be his replacement.

I kind of look at it in the opposite direction. Plenty of talent in place to coach and improve. With a head coach who will be gone, win or lose in the next few years, you're setting yourself up to be his replacement.
It could be that no one is interested.

That's definitely a possibility. I think it's also a possibility that we won't pay what it takes to bring in a top level guy.
After listening to Brown's PC the other day... hes not changing anything. He has who he wants, where he wants them and he's going to see how well they perform with the kids he's recruited. I mean, unless something ungodly happens against USC, which it very will could. But, I still doubt that anyone is going anywhere, even if an embarrassing calamity occurs in the Mayo.

71245626.jpg

@blazers hit all the relevant points about our defense. maybe we don't have the talent and experience yet to be a top 30/40 defense but maybe we don't have the coaching to be one either.

Mack is unexpectedly at decision point. It was clear before the season, the coaches expected a giant step up the ladder. Preseason top 10 and prolific passing offense. How much worse could the season have been if Sam had not possessed the ability to be a leading rusher or gotten injured. The season went south from the very first game and this allowed the slow weekly acceptance of the teams status.

Mack can't make wholesale changes even if warranted. He can live with the OC but this team needs a new line coach. That was the strength of the team but executed miserably(all season). Sam was made a dynamic runner out of necessity.

The biggest problem is not players, its teaching defensive execution. If Batemans system was good at Army, wait till he gets the talent Mack can bring in. To me, there were a couple of situations that occurred on defense throughout this season that signaled system failure. Asante(who was hailed as a better version of Surratt) was pulled(basically never returned) and the constant secondary rotation searching for better results. That last 2 minutes of the State game exhibited the true status of the defense. Im hoping changes are just days away after inking Macks best recruiting class and the final game.

Reactions: blazers

Well they'd better get their heads out of their collective backsides and get the job done this year. No more excuses.

Reactions: Tom79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT