ADVERTISEMENT

Stats and stuff (OSU game)...

Fugly, Fugly game, terribly officiated. The stuff they called and the stuff they let go just head shaking bad.

The last 1:44 of that game took 13 minutes and 25 seconds to complete. Really glad we won, but never want to see this game again.

Reactions: FranktheHeel
We lost 6 games in the regular season if I remember right. Not sure I'd call that several. The Luke thing is a bad analogy, mostly because he was surrounded by a much better group of big men and could develop relatively comfortably with little pressure.

For me developing a deep bench this year is not remotely close to years past when Roy did it, and our bench talent is nothing remotely like years past, either. I stand by what I said- utilizing 10 or 11 guys a game with this squad will get us beat-and it will be several as opposed to 6 or 7 in a title year. Platek and Robinson from my view are all well behind the curve(although brob brings some things I like) and when you factor in the 3 bigs our room for error is way way less. To compare it to last year is disingenuous.
6 is several, the Luke analogy is dead on, and there's nothing disingenuous about comparing it to last year, or any year for that matter. It's the Carolina way and it's how we build teams and perpetuate our system.

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
There are reasons why Roy plays a deep bench.

You are always one play away from losing a key player to an injury, which can derail a season if a backup hasn’t been prepared to step in. UNC fans should understand this, as it’s happened to us many times.

Roy loves to force tempo and run at every opportunity. Fresh legs enable a team to best do this and wear down opposing teams in the second half.

The more meaningful game experience players have, the more likely they are to be successful when called upon due to foul trouble or injury.

Team morale is much better when more guys are getting to play.

Now I will agree that this team has less margin for error than many other UNC teams, you just don’t lose Kennedy, Isaiah, Nate, and Tony without taking a step backwards. With Luke spending a considerable amount of time on the perimeter and 3 raw freshmen manning the 5 spot, we’re more reliant on the three than we traditionally are. We’re living the d00k mantra of “live by the three, die by the three”.

But it was widely speculated in the preseason that we would probably be doing so. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that in games where we shoot poorly from the perimeter, we’re likely going to lose. But like the good coach Roy is, he will continue to develop his big men, knowing we will need them sooner rather than later.

Bottom line is Roy will pare down his rotation as the season progresses but we’re just starting the ACC season so it’s still early. Plus we haven’t had Cam available, I suspect his play will be at a high enough level that it will mean a few less minutes for Brandon/Seventh/Platek.

There are reasons why Roy plays a deep bench.

You are always one play away from losing a key player to an injury, which can derail a season if a backup hasn’t been prepared to step in. UNC fans should understand this, as it’s happened to us many times.

Roy loves to force tempo and run at every opportunity. Fresh legs enable a team to best do this and wear down opposing teams in the second half.

The more meaningful game experience players have, the more likely they are to be successful when called upon due to foul trouble or injury.

Team morale is much better when more guys are getting to play.

Now I will agree that this team has less margin for error than many other UNC teams, you just don’t lose Kennedy, Isaiah, Nate, and Tony without taking a step backwards. With Luke spending a considerable amount of time on the perimeter and 3 raw freshmen manning the 5 spot, we’re more reliant on the three than we traditionally are. We’re living the d00k mantra of “live by the three, die by the three”.

But it was widely speculated in the preseason that we would probably be doing so. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that in games where we shoot poorly from the perimeter, we’re likely going to lose. But like the good coach Roy is, he will continue to develop his big men, knowing we will need them sooner rather than later.

Bottom line is Roy will pare down his rotation as the season progresses but we’re just starting the ACC season so it’s still early. Plus we haven’t had Cam available, I suspect his play will be at a high enough level that it will mean a few less minutes for Brandon/Seventh/Platek.

Spot on!

Always amazed at how much better our fans can coach than our Hall of Famer.

I don't get comments like this. We are on a message board to voice our opinions etc about the team. Just because I observe something and think that maybe playing less guys is the way to go this year in no way means I think I kno more basketball than Roy. To me when others say this it's just a lazy way of dismissing someone else's point of view. I'm also not so attached to being right that I won't admit later if I'm dead wrong about this.

And I should remind you of the 12-13 year, where everyone and their mother knew going small was the play..or the Larry drew fiasco where it took Roy 3 months longer than a blind man to put Kendall in the lineup. It's not as if he doesn't have his moments, and this is a very weirdly made up unc team who may not be particularly built to execute every one of his preferred ways of playing. That's all I'm arguing.

Last edited:
I don't get comments like this. We are on a message board to voice our opinions etc about the team. Just because I observe something and think that maybe playing less guys is the way to go this year in no way means I think I kno more basketball than Roy. To me when others say this it's just a lazy way of dismissing someone else's point of view.

And I should remind you of the 12-13 year, where everyone and their mother knew going small was the play..or the Larry drew fiasco where it took Roy 3 months longer than a blind man to put Kendall in the lineup. It's not as if he doesn't have his moments, and this is a very weirdly made up unc team who may not be particularly built to execute every one of his preferred ways of playing. That's all I'm arguing.

You're spouting a K view of coaching and wondering why it isn't going over well on a UNC board. Kids surprisingly don't get better by not playing. Roy plays a long game of getting his players ready for an end of year run for the title and also for the next year. How much further along will Platek, Brob and Huffman be by getting some playing time this year.

Last edited:
You're spouting a K view of coaching and wondering why it isn't going over well on a UNC board. Kids surprisingly don't get better by not playing..Rpy plays a long game of getting his players ready for an end of year run for the title and also for the next year. How much further along will Platek, Brob and Huffman be by getting some playing time this year.

You apparently haven't even read my posts. I've said 3 times now that I think it's awesome Roy coaches the way he does and no doubt it pays off for the most part down the road. I'm simply saying for THIS team I think he may want to parse down the rotation earlier than usual as It's a totally different make up -talent wise than most of his past teams. I think the way k runs his teams with 5 stars on the bench getting no burn is terrible coaching and it's cost dook greatly over the years come tournament time. Totall seperate issues.

this is a very weirdly made up unc team who may not be particularly built to execute every one of his preferred ways of playing.
I can't disagree with that comment. However, don't you feel like deep down Roy knows that this years team is probably not going to a third straight FF (not that he isn't going to try to get us there)? Hence his pre-season comments on the freshman bigs.

If we play small ball predominantly, the bigs will be even less equipped to contribute later this season, and in the next few years.

Reactions: Archer2
I can't disagree with that comment. However, don't you feel like deep down Roy knows that this years team is probably not going to a third straight FF (not that he isn't going to try to get us there)? Hence his pre-season comments on the freshman bigs.

If we play small ball predominantly, the bigs will be even less equipped to contribute later this season, and in the next few years.

Good point. I was just looking at it from the perspective of what I feel might be the best way for this team to reach its full potential . I tend to agree this isn't a final 4 team without a lot of luck.

Roy doesn't feel that in any size, shape or form... it's just a different challenge. This time last year some folks on this board were saying going back was a pipe-dream without Marcus and Brice, as well as saying junk like Luke should be a mop-up guy and a "good teammate".

So, this season our attrition in the post forces a modified approach, and that's what Roy is busting their butt to prepare for --- another run. Oh sure, he's always building for the future as well --- that's how great programs sustain --- but don't think for one second Roy doesn't have his eye on the prize again. The day Joel Berry announced his return that prize became a more than viable goal.

Our Core Four are as good or better than anybody. Roy isn't staying with the young Bigs just for the future, he's prepping them for this March

Good point. I was just looking at it from the perspective of what I feel might be the best way for this team to reach its full potential . I tend to agree this isn't a final 4 team without a lot of luck.
This team will not reach its full potential by relegating potentially key components to the sidelines in January. This season's just starting for all intents and purposes -- and embarking on a (hopefully) 3-month grind. Short-term gain doesn't build long-term season success.

Last edited:
This team will not reach its full potential by relegating potentially key components to the sidelines in January. This season's just starting for all intents and purposes -- and embarking on a (hopefully) 3-month grind. Short-term gain doesn't build long-term season success.

B rob and platek to me are not anything remotely close to "key components" to me, or even potentially key(for this team)and I guess I'm still confused as to what either had shown 1/3 of the way through the season that would lead anyone to think that these guys have to play or else...
anyways if you really feel that those guys are that crucial we probably aren't going to find any common ground on this discussion so agree to disagree.

B rob and platek to me are not anything remotely close to "key components" to me, or even potentially key(for this team)and I guess I'm still confused as to what either had shown 1/3 of the way through the season that would lead anyone to think that these guys have to play or else...
anyways if you really feel that those guys are that crucial we probably aren't going to find any common ground on this discussion so agree to disagree.
You asked me above ITT to explain why our current rotation is desirable, and what Andrew and BRob bring to the table. I did so in complete, concise and accurate terms. If that doesn't work for you, that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. Agree to disagree indeed.

Roy doesn't feel that in any size, shape or form... it's just a different challenge. This time last year some folks on this board were saying going back was a pipe-dream without Marcus and Brice, as well as saying junk like Luke should be a mop-up guy and a "good teammate".

So, this season our attrition in the post forces a modified approach, and that's what Roy is busting their butt to prepare for --- another run. Oh sure, he's always building for the future as well --- that's how great programs sustain --- but don't think for one second Roy doesn't have his eye on the prize again. The day Joel Berry announced his return that prize became a more than viable goal.

Our Core Four are as good or better than anybody. Roy isn't staying with the young Bigs just for the future, he's prepping them for this March
Don't get me wrong... I know Roy is an ultra-competitive guy, and it's his job to prepare his team to win championships. I have no doubt that he is working toward that goal. My point is that he also has to know that - at least presently - he probably doesn't feel like this team - as it's currently playing - is a sure fire FF team. He's working to get us there, of course, and that's why he's a HOF'er.

Personally, I have no problem with losing a game or two along the way in order to get us where we want to be in March. If Roy continues to give meaningful minutes to guys like BRob and Platek, I am certain the team will benefit from it down the road. As mentioned, Luke would likely never hit "the shot" if he didn't get the confidence from playing last year, despite the fact that he looked overwhelmed at times early last season.

It sucks losing any game (in that moment), but keeping the big picture in mind eases the sting of losing.

Reactions: gary-7
Just parsing a few stats and comparing them to last year's team.

2017 team:
19.9 3FG APG
35.5% 3FG
46.6% FG
70.1% FT
15.8 ORPG
28 DRPG
43.8 TRPG

2018 team through 13 games:
19.6 3FG APG
39.6% 3FG
47.9% FG
71.8% FT
12.7 ORPG
31.1 DRPG
43.8 TRPG

I realize the 2018 stats are a little skewed due to the fact that we haven't started ACC play. Still, they are quite similar. I guess I was expecting to find that we had attempted significantly more threes this year but that wasn't the case.

For me the larger concern and I think it will be Roy's tact, is limiting some of the combinations we have seen, which I think will force some top grading of PT for some of the guys. Intergrating Cam in to his well over 20mins of PT will do that as well. Not having 7th pares off some but considering that Cam is at very least our back up 3 and that has mostly been BRob's role this season so far, easy to consider based on play that BRob loses a lot and I think we have seen that to some extent already, without looking at the PT comparison for the last 2 games.

Platek, frankly, who would you have backing up Kenny, I mean yeah you can give a minute or 2 to BRob or Theo/Cam but the later 2 will spend more of their time at the 3 and sometimes 4, so who would you suggest as the more fit back up for kenny, Platek or BRob? I think, at least so far, I would say Platek, I trust him more as a shooter honestly even if he did shoot one off the back board earlier season. BRob so far, love the kid but he has been kind of a hot mess so far this season in most every aspect, like he is trying way to hard and not getting the simple things done. PLatek is not spectacular but the kid does work hard, doesn't really cost us even given his tuff game vs Wofford. He just does not look as over matched as BRob still does from what I have seen. We could maybe try some Joel/Jalek on the floor together but maybe Jalek being able to watch from the side lines and learn is more important. When Jalek is not in the game, I would love to see his permanent seat be right beside Hubert Davis and have him constantly learn from that perch.

I don't get comments like this. We are on a message board to voice our opinions etc about the team. Just because I observe something and think that maybe playing less guys is the way to go this year in no way means I think I kno more basketball than Roy. To me when others say this it's just a lazy way of dismissing someone else's point of view. I'm also not so attached to being right that I won't admit later if I'm dead wrong about this.

Well, Butter himself said he was not ready and Roy started him at the perfect time. Guess you know better than Roy and Butter huh? If you don't know why Roy waited to go small in 12-13 you didn't keep up with a certain troubled young man. Every season many like you gripe and whine about Roy playing so many, until they are needed, Luke big shot last year ring a bell? Roy knows his teams and Basketball much better than ANY of us, but I do get your drift. I use to question Dean Smith as well, guess who was always right?

Well, Butter himself said he was not ready and Roy started him at the perfect time. Guess you know better than Roy and Butter huh? If you don't know why Roy waited to go small in 12-13 you didn't keep up with a certain troubled young man. Every season many like you gripe and whine about Roy playing so many, until they are needed, Luke big shot last year ring a bell? Roy knows his teams and Basketball much better than ANY of us, but I do get your drift. I use to question Dean Smith as well, guess who was always right?

Speaking of Butter, this dude reminds me of one from about a year ago, albeit a little more tame.

I guess it really doesnt matter how many times I type the phrase " I love the way Roy develops his bench and gives everyone PT", posters will continue to take what Im saying so far out of context its not even funny. Whatever, believe whatever you want, my posts speak for themselves for whoever wants to read them.

Awww ...... Butter. I miss that young man so much. I would have loved him to stay for four years and play with Marcus and Brice for two years. Still can’t believe no nba team couldn’t have used his special talents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT