ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you YouTube!

WhatTheHeel?

All-American
Mar 31, 2002
I've long had a nostalgic appreciation for 1980s UNC basketball as it represented the period where I most passionately followed the Heels. I am a fan now, but I was a fanatic then. I do not have ESPN Classic, and realize they show the big matchups on occasion, but I just like seeing any game back in the days of Dean, Valvano, Lefty, Bill Foster (Clemson,) Terry Holland, Bobby Cremins, etc...

I finally realized that some people, including the NCAA have posted full games, without commercials, onto YouTube. The oldest I found so far is UNC's NCAA Championship against Marquette. I never saw this game the first time around (not quite old enough) and I know the outcome is not good for us, but it is so cool to actually watch Phil Ford, Mike O'Koren, Rich Yonaker, and all those guys from "back in the day." Watching a "skinny" Michael Jordan teamed with Daugherty, Perkins, etc... has been a great blast from the past. The only specific matchup I haven't found yet, but would like to, is UNC/VA in the Sampson days, but I'm still looking.

I watched a UNC/Clemson matchup from the mid-80s and Vitale was doing color. For better or worse, he was the exact same as today...

It's really great that I can stream these to my TVs as well, though they are definitely not HD.

Just thought I'd give YouTube some credit. It's not all cat-playing-the-piano videos!
wink.r191677.gif

+1 on that. YouTube is terrific for hoops fans.
I have a bunch o' UNC games on VHS from the mid-80s on, but getting to go back and see the older stuff is terrific.
cool0020.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT