1. Salsa

8. Hummus

12. Peanut Butter

13. Beef Gravy

6. Heinz 57 Sauce

3. Maple Syrup

10. Frank's Red Hot

2. Horseradish

...and cast the tie-breaking vote for Mayonnaise.
3. Maple Syrup
tenor.gif

Not at all. :) Good to see you. Have you emerged from the other side of tax season? How did it go this year? I remember last year was a nightmare for you.

Much better this year, @Raising Heel. I was better prepared heading in this time with a little more assistance and way fewer extensions. Still kept me from participating on my favorite message board though. I hope to be more active now as things settle down around here.

Reactions: Raising Heel
@HookUNC75 if you need some hired help, I graduate from UNC's Master of Accounting program in September.

#imjustsaying

I don't know whether to congratulate you, @TarHeelNation11 or a to ask "What the hell are you thinking?" In all seriousness though you are making a great career choice with all kinds of opportunities. Do you plan to sit for the CPA exam after graduating? If so the sooner the better because a lot of the things you learn in school you'll never use. If your interest is in public accounting, I'd recommend starting out with a larger firm where you can get exposure in a lot of different areas. That way you can choose what type of industries you enjoy working with whether it be for-profit , non-profit or governmental entities, or whether or not you prefer to do assurance work such as auditing or if you enjoy taxation more. Also, many people start out in public accounting and decide that it's just not for them and they transition from there into private industry.

Keep in mind that mine is a small town accounting firm with mostly Mom & Pop type businesses and local Professionals as clients. Compensation is definitely not as good as larger firms in larger cities, but you do have more control over your own destiny. There are definitely tradeoffs, but I've been able to carve out a decent living doing this.

I don't know whether to congratulate you, @TarHeelNation11 or a to ask "What the hell are you thinking?" In all seriousness though you are making a great career choice with all kinds of opportunities. Do you plan to sit for the CPA exam after graduating? If so the sooner the better because a lot of the things you learn in school you'll never use. If your interest is in public accounting, I'd recommend starting out with a larger firm where you can get exposure in a lot of different areas. That way you can choose what type of industries you enjoy working with whether it be for-profit , non-profit or governmental entities, or whether or not you prefer to do assurance work such as auditing or if you enjoy taxation more. Also, many people start out in public accounting and decide that it's just not for them and they transition from there into private industry.

Keep in mind that mine is a small town accounting firm with mostly Mom & Pop type businesses and local Professionals as clients. Compensation is definitely not as good as larger firms in larger cities, but you do have more control over your own destiny. There are definitely tradeoffs, but I've been able to carve out a decent living doing this.
I do plan on sitting for the CPA (in North Carolina). I have attempted, but failed, to get a job in public accounting with the bigger firms. Still job hunting.

This is a 10/10 poast. Can confirm.

Reactions: HookUNC75
I do plan on sitting for the CPA (in North Carolina). I have attempted, but failed, to get a job in public accounting with the bigger firms. Still job hunting.

Keep at it. I went down the finance route instead of accounting, but a lot of accounting jobs just straight up require big 4 public experience, so it can be worthwhile to sacrifice 2-3 years of your life to get the experience and get the hell out.

Reactions: HookUNC75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT