ADVERTISEMENT

Thread about Running

Just started marathon training with my daughter. This is the fattest I have ever been, so the timing is good.

I don't like running to music either for a couple of reasons- one, it distracts me and two, differing beats in songs messes up the pace.
How's it going so far? I know you played lacrosse, but have you been a regular runner since or no?

How much stretching do y'all do before running? I typically do minimal stretching, which I know is terrible. Do any of y'all do an above-average amount? Like more than 5 minutes?

So, after talking about running yesterday in this thread, I was kind of curious so I thought I'd try something last night. I don't have my treadmill anymore (sold it when I moved after I bought my house) so I thought I would jog in place in my living room to see how long I could do it. I got a cramp just below the back of my knee within 45 seconds. I am pathetic.

So, after talking about running yesterday in this thread, I was kind of curious so I thought I'd try something last night. I don't have my treadmill anymore (sold it when I moved after I bought my house) so I thought I would jog in place in my living room to see how long I could do it. I got a cramp just below the back of my knee within 45 seconds. I am pathetic.
More fluids.......Crystal Pepsi will work.

How much stretching do y'all do before running? I typically do minimal stretching, which I know is terrible. Do any of y'all do an above-average amount? Like more than 5 minutes?

Static stretching before you run actually can increase the chances of injury. Same with weightlifting.

I usually jog an easy mile then do dynamic stretches before I move into my actual workout if it's going to be a more intense effort.

I usually jog an easy mile then do dynamic stretches before I move into my actual workout if it's going to be a more intense effort.
My cross country coach was a bit of a health and exercise guru (he taught health as well) and he had us do the same thing. We would start practice by jogging 2 laps "cold" before doing any type of stretching.

My cross country coach was a bit of a health and exercise guru (he taught health as well) and he had us do the same thing. We would start practice by jogging 2 laps "cold" before doing any type of stretching.

Stretching cold muscles before any kind strenuous exercise is a BAD idea. When I first started running I did that and I constantly had little tweaks and strains in my hamstrings, quads and calves. Seemed like something was always hurting. I'm just glad I didn't pick up a major tear.

Running is a b!tch in that way. It's not easy to build up without picking up minor stress related injuries unless you are extremely careful.

Stretching cold muscles before any kind strenuous exercise is a BAD idea. When I first started running I did that and I constantly had little tweaks and strains in my hamstrings, quads and calves. Seemed like something was always hurting. I'm just glad I didn't pick up a major tear.

Running is a b!tch in that way. It's not easy to build up without picking up minor stress related injuries unless you are extremely careful.
Throw in the fact that I'm less flexible than just about any human being on earth. What could go wrong?

F*** running lol. Today was my first day. I did 1.9 miles.

The good news: I didn't stop once the whole run.
The bad news: I pegged my odds of having a heart attack at 50/50 by the time I finished (only joking a little bit.....)

I'm so out of shape it is incredible. Gonna do the same route tomorrow and for the next few days to see if it gets any easier.

TH bro keep it up. It's hard but once you get in shape it's a high! I run 60 minutes a day 5 days a week and feel like crap when I don't.

Reactions: Heelicious

The bad news: I pegged my odds of having a heart attack at 50/50 by the time I finished (only joking a little bit.....)

I'm so out of shape it is incredible. Gonna do the same route tomorrow and for the next few days to see if it gets any easier.

We used to state test our PE students using five different criteria. Sit ups, pull ups, shuttle run, sitting stretch, and mile run. We are a big elementary school so have four PE teachers. A few years back we decided to each do the five parts of the test and have students guess who was who. So I was easily the best athlete out of the bunch (wasn't saying a ton there tbh) and felt good about it. I got 61 sit ups in a minute, 15 or so pull ups, a crazy fast shuttle run, sucked at the stretch, and then came the mile. I ran about half of it and was like 'screw it'. I just walked the last half. I was great at the speed and fitness stuff but was so ridiculously out of shape with it came to stamina. Even running just half the damn thing I was sore as crap the next day. I also felt the odds of having a cardiac event pretty high if I tried the whole mile. I respect staying with it but there are other ways to lose weight if you find running just isn't your thing, haha.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11

You could always just go to the mall and do a little power walking with the ladies.

senior-citizen-mall-walking-in-shopping-mall.jpg

We used to state test our PE students using five different criteria. Sit ups, pull ups, shuttle run, sitting stretch, and mile run. We are a big elementary school so have four PE teachers. A few years back we decided to each do the five parts of the test and have students guess who was who. So I was easily the best athlete out of the bunch (wasn't saying a ton there tbh) and felt good about it. I got 61 sit ups in a minute, 15 or so pull ups, a crazy fast shuttle run, sucked at the stretch, and then came the mile. I ran about half of it and was like 'screw it'. I just walked the last half. I was great at the speed and fitness stuff but was so ridiculously out of shape with it came to stamina. Even running just half the damn thing I was sore as crap the next day. I also felt the odds of having a cardiac event pretty high if I tried the whole mile. I respect staying with it but there are other ways to lose weight if you find running just isn't your thing, haha.
We did the same 5 things for my elementary school back in the day. I was able to do everything within the "presidential" range....except the sit and reach lol

Gonna throw an idea out there... We should do a virtual run/race with the members of OOTB who are interested. We just would need to pick a date where we all go run for a set period of time or distance. Then we come back with the gps data from our runs and compare results.

Reactions: gteeitup
We did the same 5 things for my elementary school back in the day. I was able to do everything within the "presidential" range....except the sit and reach lol

Yeah, that is what it is called, 'sit and reach'. Yeah, in HS I would have been fine with a mile or two. Now, not so much with zero interest in getting back to it, lol.

It has all changed now anyway. There is something called the 'Pacer' test we do now and that is it. Nothing else. I liked it better the way we used to do it tbh because it allowed for more students to be successful in at least one area.

I'd lose. Sounds like @uncboy10 would smoke me. I.E. bet the house on him.

I've got a slightly tweaked achilles right now so I'd probably blow up two miles in anyways lol

It wasn't meant to be a competitive thing btw. Just a fun way to keep ourselves accountable and motivated. Kinda pointless if theres only two or three people, but could be fun to pick a date a month or two from now and have everybody post about their progress in training as well as their actual results. Virtual runs have become pretty popular lately, check out the Ginger Runner's (youtube) Virtual Run if you're curious about how the idea works.

Also doesn't have to be a set distance. Could be an hour or two hour timed run, and then you could go for most distance, most vertical, ect. ect.

Speaking of motivation... Even if you're not into trail running this will make you want to get your ass up off the couch

If anyone is familiar with the Barkley Marathon(s), this is Gary Robbins, the ultra runner who finished 6 seconds over the cutoff, but after coming in from the wrong direction. If you're not familiar with the Barkley then you should check out the documentary on netflix.

I'm making this thread so as not to muck up the OOTB UNC Other Sports thread. I know @uncboy10 and @WhatTheHeel? (?) are runners. I don't run nearly as much as I used to. In high school, I ran track for two years and cross country for one. Don't mistake this to mean I was fast or anything.... those two sports didn't have tryouts or cuts :p

I've been inspired to:
1. Break my high school 5K PR of 20:55
2. Break 20:00 on a 5K
3. Any further improvements I can do from there.

I believe my mile PR is 5:45.

Random running question @uncboy10, do you find running in cold weather is exceedingly more difficult and more uncomfortable than running in warm/hot weather? For me, running in cold weather is terrible. I have much less stamina and I start to get that effect where you taste blood in the back of your throat (hopefully others know this phenomena and I'm not just dying) lol.

I've been pretty infrequent here lately and just now saw this. I didn't start running until my mid-30s so I didn't have the track/cross country background. The main goal for me at the time was to run a marathon to impress a girl--it worked. Been married 11 years. Your questions weren't directed at me, but I'll add my two cents. I don't see any reason you can't get below 20 on a 5K. I never really trained specifically for 5 & 10Ks but when I wanted to go sub-3 in a marathon, I started doing repeats. At first they were quarter-miles but eventually, they were one mile at 30 seconds/mile faster than race pace. For a 5K, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 mile repeats make more sense? Everyone is different on how they run the actual race, but I've found I can't start out too fast. My PR is 18:49 on a somewhat hilly course. I was 40 at the time. I managed to stay sub-20 in every 5K since 2004 (about 25 total) but I haven't done one in two years. I'm 5'7" and about 146 lbs. Certainly not the traditional "runner profile."

Oh, and I much prefer cold weather. I get terrible GI issues in the heat/humidity. I would say temps in the 40s are probably best for me. Good luck with your pursuit!

I've been pretty infrequent here lately and just now saw this. I didn't start running until my mid-30s so I didn't have the track/cross country background. The main goal for me at the time was to run a marathon to impress a girl--it worked. Been married 11 years. Your questions weren't directed at me, but I'll add my two cents. I don't see any reason you can't get below 20 on a 5K. I never really trained specifically for 5 & 10Ks but when I wanted to go sub-3 in a marathon, I started doing repeats. At first they were quarter-miles but eventually, they were one mile at 30 seconds/mile faster than race pace. For a 5K, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 mile repeats make more sense? Everyone is different on how they run the actual race, but I've found I can't start out too fast. My PR is 18:49 on a somewhat hilly course. I was 40 at the time. I managed to stay sub-20 in every 5K since 2004 (about 25 total) but I haven't done one in two years. I'm 5'7" and about 146 lbs. Certainly not the traditional "runner profile."

Oh, and I much prefer cold weather. I get terrible GI issues in the heat/humidity. I would say temps in the 40s are probably best for me. Good luck with your pursuit!
You're gonna have to de-jargon some of that for me. What's a repeat? I've highlighted in bold what I didn't understand.

This is unusual I know, but I much prefer running on a track than running on trails in the woods. When I run on trails in the woods, I have no idea how far I've gone and thus have no sense of accomplishment or lack there of. Sometimes I'll feel like I'm killing it on the trails, and then see a mile marker and realize I've barely done a mile.
With a track, I know my exact distance travelled at all times. It helps me set goals during the run: "Ok, two more laps and then you can stop."

You're on the wrong trails... ;)

table_rock_summit.jpg

You're gonna have to de-jargon some of that for me. What's a repeat? I've highlighted in bold what I didn't understand.
Intervals. Your goal is a 6:27/mile pace for a 20 minute 5k. If I am doing my math correct and you are on a 1/4 mile track, that's 97 seconds per lap to be exactly on pace. So, you could run say a 82 second lap (15 seconds under pace) and then do a cool-down lap (or just walk a little ways out and then back to where you started) and then repeat. You could start with just 2 or 4 1/4 mile repeats and add 1 or two each week, up to 8 or so. I'm not a coach and you can do a variation of this that suits you. Basically, it's just making you run at a faster than goal pace than you need for short periods so that come race day, running the "slower" pace for a longer distance will be easier. Or, you can do fartleks.

Intervals. Your goal is a 6:27/mile pace for a 20 minute 5k. If I am doing my math correct and you are on a 1/4 mile track, that's 97 seconds per lap to be exactly on pace. So, you could run say a 82 second lap (15 seconds under pace) and then do a cool-down lap (or just walk a little ways out and then back to where you started) and then repeat. You could start with just 2 or 4 1/4 mile repeats and add 1 or two each week, up to 8 or so. I'm not a coach and you can do a variation of this that suits you. Basically, it's just making you run at a faster than goal pace than you need for short periods so that come race day, running the "slower" pace for a longer distance will be easier. Or, you can do fartleks.
Gotcha. Thanks!

I don't know how you and @UNC71-00 refrain from listening to music during runs. It's one of the only things that helps me make it through. I use it to goal set, too. "Make it through this song and one more, and then you can turn around."

Honestly, I'm either in the woods and don't need the distraction or I'm with friends and we're talking. I remember seeing a guy listening to an audiobook during a race once!

I don't know how you and @UNC71-00 refrain from listening to music during runs. It's one of the only things that helps me make it through. I use it to goal set, too. "Make it through this song and one more, and then you can turn around."

I try to avoid using music as an aid in training so that it will provide a bigger boost during the actual race. It makes it way easier for me to holder a higher tempo, but I've noticed the effect wears off after a few runs.

Reactions: Heelicious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT