ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I'd rather have the degree + connections from UNC. Never been to Lawrence, but I imagine CH is a better experience too. But yeah, could see coaching staff outweighing all that.

Can we really not outbid Kansas with NIL? Would've thought we'd be above most save a few SEC schools and dook.
I know people here will come at me from all angles, but would you rather play in Kansas' environment or UNC's environment for your home games? As fans, sure we'll pick our favorite schools we root for. But there's probably 2 venues that are distinctively known for their environments as the best in college basketball right? Kansas and Duke. Don't know if this is part of the equation.

Also, maybe he wants to play against better competition? The Big 12 might be the best regular season conference in basketball.

I know people here will come at me from all angles, but would you rather play in Kansas' environment or UNC's environment for your home games? As fans, sure we'll pick our favorite schools we root for. But there's probably 2 venues that are distinctively known for their environments as the best in college basketball right? Kansas and Duke. Don't know if this is part of the equation.

Also, maybe he wants to play against better competition? The Big 12 might be the most overrated regular seasons conference in basketball.

Fify lol

I’ll just respond with, “I’m much higher on Washington than most.” I know you like to beat your dead horse that he cannot defend anyone on the perimeter, so be it. I have the optimistic view that he can provide more on the offensive end than he’ll give up on the defensive end, and that with an extra year in our system he will blossom. Continue on with your pessimism & your agenda that you are right & none of us can have a point of view worth a shit. Blah, blah, blah.

Btw, I’m in the minority of people on this board that believe and appreciate your intel, but you are often too over the top defending your narrative & it is tiresome. How did I do with my quotation marks? Asking for a friend!
His word is the Gospel if u didn't know

Looks like Dickenson is going to go to Georgetown. Things may be on the upswing in our nation's capital.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

Also, maybe he wants to play against better competition? The Big 12 might be the best regular season conference in basketball.
We like to bash Self, but he is a HoF coach and has one of the winningest records in basketball. 81.5% at Kansas where he also reeled in 17 B12 first place finishes in his 20 years there.

If you want to play on a winning team for a successful coach, you could do a whole lot worse.

In other news Josh Nickelberry just transferred from LaSalle to FSU. Some will remember that we offered him in the 2019 class but then he slid down the ratings and ended up at Louisville - where he had 2 mediocre seasons (that's being kind).

He bounced back well as a starter at LaSalle and was deadly last season from deep (40.1% on a boatload of shots) and the stripe (80.3%).

In other news Josh Nickelberry just transferred from LaSalle to FSU. Some will remember that we offered him in the 2019 class but then he slid down the ratings and ended up at Louisville - where he had 2 mediocre seasons (that's being kind).

He bounced back well as a starter at LaSalle and was deadly last season from deep (40.1% on a boatload of shots) and the stripe (80.3%).
We are going to be just fine next fall. Have a bit of confidence and faith folks...

Yeah the Big 12 is considerably better than the ACC right now as a league. I think the reputations are similar though; doubt many players really know the Kenpom / NET rankings but maybe.

As for environment, again never been to Kansas so I can't really say. It looks like a great atmosphere, but I think ours is too. We were #1 in attendance this year. I always thought Cameron was a bit overrated because the crowd is so much smaller. I feel like between our fanbase conference competition, and Duke rivalry there shouldn't be really any schools picked ahead of us for the experience.

Would love to know how our NIL compares. Hopefully we're at or near the top, as I think that will be a major factor.

We like to bash Self, but he is a HoF coach and has one of the winningest records in basketball. 81.5% at Kansas where he also reeled in 17 B12 first place finishes in his 20 years there.

If you want to play on a winning team for a successful coach, you could do a whole lot worse.
I guess I'm still surprised how quickly people just write off the part where he is a cheater. Same with Sean Miller. The narrative is they're great coaches, and they probably are, but they give themselves unfair advantages against coaches who play within the rules. If I didn't realize what a farce the NCAA actually is, I would be in awe that both self and Miller didn't have lifetime bans.

I guess I'm still surprised how quickly people just write off the part where he is a cheater. Same with Sean Miller. The narrative is they're great coaches, and they probably are, but they give themselves unfair advantages against coaches who play within the rules. If I didn't realize what a farce the NCAA actually is, I would be in awe that both self and Miller didn't have lifetime bans.
I'm not sure that matters for these players. We're all looking at things as UNC fans. Nothing could be better than Chapel Hill, the Dean Dome and Carolina girls to us. It's what we grew up with. The majority of these kids didn't grow up as UNC fans. This is a business decision for them. They want to work for an employer that they think can help them maximize their talent, so they can play in the pros.

I'm not sure that matters for these players. We're all looking at things as UNC fans. Nothing could be better than Chapel Hill, the Dean Dome and Carolina girls to us. It's what we grew up with. The majority of these kids didn't grow up as UNC fans. This is a business decision for them. They want to work for an employer that they think can help them maximize their talent, so they can play in the pros.
Sadly for the game this is the truth.

Reactions: Archer2
Exactly.

Not to mention that we Carolina fans, on average, are quick to believe every claim of corruption aimed at other coaches (while simultaneously rejecting such complaints against our own). I'm guessing most players see little difference between Self and Roy - and, if anything, view what we saw as an unjustified cloud during our woes, as "where there's smoke there's fire."

Parent's may be more sophisticated. Or not. Most will care more whether he can coach, can win, and can "help our boy's career."

Exactly.

Not to mention that we Carolina fans, on average, are quick to believe every claim of corruption aimed at other coaches (while simultaneously rejecting such complaints against our own). I'm guessing most players see little difference between Self and Roy - and, if anything, view what we saw as an unjustified cloud during our woes, as "where there's smoke there's fire."

Parent's may be more sophisticated. Or not. Most will care more whether he can coach, can win, and can "help our boy's career."
For sure understand others perceptions, but UNC has never been caught on an FBI tape promising to pay a player to come to the school. .... And all before NIL to boot!!!

A lot of people (including myself) really don't care about that. I think:

1. It was unethical to not pay the players
2. The bag dropping was extremely widespread and almost an unwritten rule

Wouldn't bother me if UNC was involved too.

Are we even looking at Matthew Cleveland? SF with two productive years at FSU
I know unc looked & offered I think 2 yrs ago but was too late to the party he had named his top 5 & told unc & few more teams , no thanks.. then

I know unc looked & offered I think 2 yrs ago but was too late to the party he had named his top 5 & told unc & few more teams , no thanks.. then
He doesn't really seem like a great fit with the current team. Not a shooter or seemingly a great defender. Those are kind of the things we need from a wing... One could do worse though.

How about the other end of floor when teams try to double one or the other?
Until we get proven 3pt shooters, they can triple team the whole dang paint. Not to mention that two bigs plus two or more defenders makes the lane clogged for guards who want to drive.

Listen man, the game has evolved. Any coach worth his paycheck is going to beat a team that starts two plodding Centers and surrounds them with mediocre shooters.

Yeah that's pretty much my point.
2 of the Top 5 bigs in the country with shooters around them.
We have one, maybe two proven shot makers already.
Add one more and that's a Final Four team.
It worked fine in 2017 and would work in 2023.
Our starting PF in 2017 was so athletic that he played/defended small forwards earlier in his career. Asking him to chase the modern stretch 4 around the perimeter, navigate screens, close out on shooters, deal with pick and rolls was well within his defensive abilities.

That's a huge difference from asking a slow plodding Center to defend the modern stretch 4, navigate screens, close out on shooters, deal with pick and rolls. We'd have to play zone defense to have any chance at winning with Dickinson and Bacot playing together. And that would negate some of their rebounding advantage and would leave a lot of shooters wide open.

Some peeps have a bit of an issue recognizing satire, lol! They apparently also can't tell the difference between a belief in our system and blind faith. I think it is ridiculous that peeps have so little patience despite this being part of the Carolina Way and I find it even more interesting that they are the same peeps that were against Hubs as our coach from day 1! How can one berate me for my "unfounded optimism" and be so self-deluded that they don't recognize their own agendas??

Next season will be pivotal in Hubs' career. If he shows evidence of the self-reflection he obviously has, he will be fine. If he shows the growth I expect, UNC will be fine. If there are no substantive changes, the process of change may start. I think he has 2 more years regardless, but a major collapse would expedite things! I love how our recruiting is going and I am thrilled we didn't just jump on the first shiny name in the portal! Fit is paramount and Hibs' staff clearly know it!

dook? If bad smells count, then maybe. GTFO with that nonsense.

puke HAD a great coach, but it isn't known for being a great environment by anyone without whiskers! It is a dump that smells worse than it looks; the only modern amenities there are the automatic cheese dispensers at the end of the maze! It would be wonderful if you dreamed of playing in front of a few thousand peeps who can't support their team without cheer sheets and a primer on basic basketball terms! Kansas does indeed have a great game day environment but I found Kansas to be flat, unbearably hot, and boring!

L
dook? If bad smells count, then maybe. GTFO with that nonsense.
Look, as much as it grates me to agree with SJung on anything, he isn't wrong here.
Allen Field House is the best home court atmosphere in College basketball.
HIS is in the conversation, which is why I enjoy Carolina winning there so much.
There are a lot of things to point to about why a recruit chooses to go to a given place, and atmosphere is one of those points.
I personally think KU leads because of proximity and because of Bill Self and his results of player development.
Bill Self, as crooked as he is, is now the best coach in College basketball.👀
🙈🙉🙊

He chokes in big games as much as kay did.
#DontBelieveTheHype
It is not hype, I watch coaches, and his innovations from a x and o perspective as well as in game adjustments is the best there is in the College game.
I hated Bob Knight too, but I recognize great in game coaching when I see it.
Dean lost in first round of NCAAT 3 consecutive years 78-80. Not every " Big game" is created equal. Lots of circumstances to consider.
Self is a crooked individual, but I can separate what I think of him as a coach.

0.0% chance anyone would win with Bacot and Dickinson playing together. Everyone recognized that and knew that was why Dickinson was never coming to UNC despite some clickbait articles with zero sourcing. They would have to alternate at the position and it's doubtful Bacot is gonna accept such a cut in minutes nor that Dickinson wanted to spend his last year as a backup.

Plus, Dickinson is an extremely dirty player. We don't even want him!

Reactions: RP12
Dean lost in first round of NCAAT 3 consecutive years 78-80. Not every " Big game" is created equal. Lots of circumstances to consider.
Self is a crooked individual, but I can separate what I think of him as a coach.
Not with a loaded 5-star roster he didn't.
The losses to Penn and A&M were actually 2nd round games, and Penn was a Final Four team, not little sisters of the poor.

puke HAD a great coach, but it isn't known for being a great environment by anyone without whiskers! It is a dump that smells worse than it looks; the only modern amenities there are the automatic cheese dispensers at the end of the maze! It would be wonderful if you dreamed of playing in front of a few thousand peeps who can't support their team without cheer sheets and a primer on basic basketball terms! Kansas does indeed have a great game day environment but I found Kansas to be flat, unbearably hot, and boring!
I'm a die hard UNC fan, so Dook has no appeal to me, but you are fooling yourself if you think Dook and Kansas aren't desirable environments for players.

KU and duke have great game day environments and I'm sure the players love it, but I think it would be more of a tie breaker reason instead of a main reason. I'm guessing coaching, NIL, feeling comfortable with the other players and campus environment would all come before game day environment.

Reactions: dtodd4475
L
Look, as much as it grates me to agree with SJung on anything, he isn't wrong here.
Allen Field House is the best home court atmosphere in College basketball.
HIS is in the conversation, which is why I enjoy Carolina winning there so much.
There are a lot of things to point to about why a recruit chooses to go to a given place, and atmosphere is one of those points.
I personally think KU leads because of proximity and because of Bill Self and his results of player development.
Bill Self, as crooked as he is, is now the best coach in College basketball.👀
🙈🙉🙊
KU? Yes.
dook? Not even close.

Not with a loaded 5-star roster he didn't.
The losses to Penn and A&M were actually 2nd round games, and Penn was a Final Four team, not little sisters of the poor.
Semantics. UNC lost their first game of the NCAAT each of those 3 years, whether you want to call them 2nd round games is up to you.
Highest ranking in AP poll for those teams were:
1978 #1
1979 #2
1980 #6
Numerous future NBA players dotted those lineups. I was very young, but history says UNC was favored to win each of those games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT