ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

That's just some random fan on Twitter. He doesn't have sources beyond what he reads on IC premium. He's one of about three UNC fans on Twitter that keeps trying to pretend they have insight into UNC's recruiting. He was super sure Nick Timberlake was coming too.

We may very well get Ingram (in fact there is a ton of smoke there.) But that account isn't one you should rely on.

Sounds like Hubert is going to miss on Ingram according to the latest intel from David Sisk.
Yep! He is getting crystal balls to Kansas..we aren’t going to get Mac either! I don’t think that was ever really a thing just rumors! It’s a alarming that we can’t get elite talent from the transfer portal and we have starting spots open for 2 to 3 positions…this years awful season, coaching job, and bench use seems to be killing us right now! Hopefully Hubert can turn it around

Oh my God the world is over because a kid who was always a Kansas lean might actually go to Kansas! Crystal Balls are always right and never change at the last minute so it is done today! Some have decided we can't get elite talent even though portal season is still developing and has plenty of time left! The sky must have already fallen! The thousands of names in the portal all hate us and nobody else will ever put their name in, Oh woe is me! Our coach can never get better and shouldn't be allowed to choose who to recruit! He should only go after the ones we pick and if he decides to go rogue, he better choose 5*! If our name is mentioned, we better get the recruit or we have failed our Family! I say we fold our tents now to avoid the inevitable disappointment later-let's all become NCSU fans because that has to be better! Just wanted to be part of the crowd for once!

Oh my God the world is over because a kid who was always a Kansas lean might actually go to Kansas! Crystal Balls are always right and never change at the last minute so it is done today! Some have decided we can't get elite talent even though portal season is still developing and has plenty of time left! The sky must have already fallen! The thousands of names in the portal all hate us and nobody else will ever put their name in, Oh woe is me! Our coach can never get better and shouldn't be allowed to choose who to recruit! He should only go after the ones we pick and if he decides to go rogue, he better choose 5*! If our name is mentioned, we better get the recruit or we have failed our Family! I say we fold our tents now to avoid the inevitable disappointment later-let's all become NCSU fans because that has to be better! Just wanted to be part of the crowd for once!
smh....you seem content with where things are...why?

If both teams Name, Image, and Likeness contracts, are about the same, then what school do you pick to attend, the one with the better coaching staff. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: OldSchoo01
Once again you resort to hyperbole in your constant defense of Hubert. Relax.

Just bc everyone isn’t as optimistic as you, and realizes that we are struggling recruiting out of the portal right now, doesn’t mean you have to freak out…I’m not giving up and I’m hopeful that we can get some big time talent! Sorry that I’m more of a realist than you…we are clearly struggling right now in most aspects of the past year and the present! 24 looks great, but who knows! Chill the hell out man

smh....you seem content with where things are...why?

Ingram is far from a game changer, I don’t get this fascination with needing to land him.

Let’s see how this whole thing shakes out & then see if we need to pee ourselves! We have 2 potential all ACC players returning, that’s kind of a big deal. I’m also of the belief that Caleb was addition by subtraction, so we immediately got better when he hit the portal (chemistry wise anyway). IMO, some of us are pushing the panic button way too early.

Besides, if Hubert shits the bed again coaching wise, we’re expediting the process to getting the guy that will turn us around.

Last edited:
It doesn't look good now. But I'm of the wait-and-see approach. Want to see what the final roster ends up looking like. Want to see how Hubert coaches a team that doesn't have some of the dead weight that was on it, really the last two seasons.

There are certain things from Hubert that I like and I think are sustainable if you have certain things in place. There are many things from Hubert that were questionable over the first two seasons. But I do think it was a difficult roster to coach and navigate the first two seasons.

Ultimately, it's a gigantic question whether Hubert can actually build and sustain a program. I honestly view the roster upheaval as a positive. It's a sign that he thinks things weren't good enough and had to change. Now, he has to build and sustain something. Good luck, most coaches fail at that.

Reactions: RP12 and gauchoheel
LOL

Feel better now?

Sounds like Hubert is going to miss on Ingram according to the latest intel from David Sisk.
Yup.

Hubert needs 3 starters. He has spent his time focusing on Timberlake, Ingram, and Knecht. He looks like he'll miss them all.

The recruiting shine Hubert had after the title appearance is gone. We may very lose Jarin Stevenson too.

You have completely embarrassed yourself.

But since you literally volunteered to be a NC State fan, please follow through on that.

Ingram is far from a game changer, I don’t get this fascination with needing to land him.
Anything negative with UNC basketball will be viewed as the world coming to an end because of the season we just went through.

I also think most people have their minds made up on Hubert and most of those who have their minds made up think he's a zero. For those people, this is just fuel to the fire.

It was a weird year for the fans. Fans like me thought we just really sucked. That's probably one end of the spectrum. Other fans thought we were big Tyler Nickel minutes away from being a Final Four team. Maybe LOL to both. And it's carrying over to college basketball free agency. Welcome to a new world!

Reactions: RP12 and Sk1310
It doesn't look good now. But I'm of the wait-and-see approach. Want to see what the final roster ends up looking like. Want to see how Hubert coaches a team that doesn't have some of the dead weight that was on it, really the last two seasons.

There are certain things from Hubert that I like and I think are sustainable if you have certain things in place. There are many things from Hubert that were questionable over the first two seasons. But I do think it was a difficult roster to coach and navigate the first two seasons.

Ultimately, it's a gigantic question whether Hubert can actually build and sustain a program. I honestly view the roster upheaval as a positive. It's a sign that he thinks things weren't good enough and had to change. Now, he has to build and sustain something. Good luck, most coaches fail at that.
I hate it when you say stuff I have to agree with... But yeah, dang it jung...LOL

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We only have 2 capable starters on our roster as of now. The consensus among basketball analysts is that Ingram can be a starter on a good team. That's why Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky all want him in their starting lineup next season.

Let me ask you this. Say all the smoke and rumors are correct. Say Ingram, Knecht, Timberlake, and Mgbako all choose not to be Tar Heels. Say Ian Jackson chooses not to join UNC in 2023. Can you name some good starters we have a legit chance to fill our open starting spots with so we can get back to playing UNC caliber basketball next season?

Bc if you can't, you should understand why people are worried by Hubert missing every top transfer he has pursued so far.

Reactions: OldSchoo01

Let’s see how this whole thing shakes out & then see if we need to pee ourselves! We have 2 potential all ACC players returning, that’s kind of a big deal. I’m also of the belief that Caleb was addition by subtraction, so we immediately got better when he hit the portal (chemistry wise anyway). IMO, some of us are pushing the panic button way too early.

Besides, if Hubert shits the bed again coaching wise, we’re expediting the process to getting the guy that will turn us around.
I don't disagree w anything you said....but it seems we keep striking out on some of the bigger portal options. North Carolina is to prestigious of a basketball program to not attract players. I'd rather not suffer through another miserable season

Not trying to speak for anyone but me but I see Ingram as a really great fit for what we need. I love that at 6'7-8" & 235lbs he can play the wing, pair him with 6'8": & 235lbs Withers and we have some beef to go along with Bacot, and they can BOTH hit jump shots much more consistently than either of our 2 starters at the 3 and 4 did last season. I love that Ingram has been hard tested in his seasons in the college game, he would not have to acclimate to this level of play, and he is virtually easy to switch to the 4 with a guy like Withers. I feel just that little bit more comfortable with Ingram at the 3 than I would Mgbako but either one would make me feel MUCH better!

I don't disagree w anything you said....but it seems we keep striking out on some of the bigger portal options. North Carolina is to prestigious of a basketball program to not attract players. I'd rather not suffer through another miserable season
IDK, for me, for guys that fit what we need as well as compliment guys we already have, I think the 3 names that fit the bigger portal option tag are Ingram, Withers, and maybe Timberlake. Mgbako is a recruit and not a portal guy so he is not included in this reply. Sure, there were bigger names in the portal for sure but guys we went after hard that fit us is a smaller group. Neither Ingram nor Timberlake have committed to anyone so far so they can't be considered a miss, not until they commit elsewhere. I kind of think when we got Wojik, we maybe chilled back a little on Timberlake, especially with the portal names becoming more appealing.

If both teams Name, Image, and Likeness contracts, are about the same, then what school do you pick to attend, the one with the better coaching staff. Just my 2 cents.

Granted, I'm not a baller trying to make it to the league. And coaching would be of some importance to me but much more so from the angle of "who do I feel more comfortable around" versus "who is that better tactician". But most important to me would be the culture, the campus/city and the guys in the program.

I have a hard time believing that kids would rather be around Bill Self than Hubert. Also, KU isn't known for their track record of sending guys to the NBA.

I'd rather have the degree + connections from UNC. Never been to Lawrence, but I imagine CH is a better experience too. But yeah, could see coaching staff outweighing all that.

Can we really not outbid Kansas with NIL? Would've thought we'd be above most save a few SEC schools and dook.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel

I’m with you 2D. I don’t understand the thrill of this kid. He shot a tad less 3 ball percentage than both black and nance last year. His ft percentage is horrible. He had a lot of turnovers.
He did have some assists and has nice size. That’s the only thing I keep reading. Heck, leaky and Pete both had size. If Hubert and staff didn’t or couldn’t develop those guys then why in the crap do you think he could transform this kid. SMH. No none shooters please.

Last edited:
We only have 2 capable starters on our roster as of now. The consensus among basketball analysts is that Ingram can be a starter on a good team. That's why Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky all want him in their starting lineup next season.

Let me ask you this. Say all the smoke and rumors are correct. Say Ingram, Knecht, Timberlake, and Mgbako all choose not to be Tar Heels. Say Ian Jackson chooses not to join UNC in 2023. Can you name some good starters we have a legit chance to fill our open starting spots with so we can get back to playing UNC caliber basketball next season?

Bc if you can't, you should understand why people are worried by Hubert missing every top transfer he has pursued so far.

I’ll just respond with, “I’m much higher on Washington than most.” I know you like to beat your dead horse that he cannot defend anyone on the perimeter, so be it. I have the optimistic view that he can provide more on the offensive end than he’ll give up on the defensive end, and that with an extra year in our system he will blossom. Continue on with your pessimism & your agenda that you are right & none of us can have a point of view worth a shit. Blah, blah, blah.

Btw, I’m in the minority of people on this board that believe and appreciate your intel, but you are often too over the top defending your narrative & it is tiresome. How did I do with my quotation marks? Asking for a friend!

Quick question, as I'm somewhat new to the world of message boards. How do we know who UNC has, or has not, pursued? 2 guys have accepted offers, so they are safe bets.

Breathe Deep Breath GIF by Twitter

Kansas could get Ingram, Dickinson and Timberlake.

Boy I wish we would have beaten them in the finals.
I think Dickinson is much more likely to end up at Maryland or Georgetown.

You're right about the other two. They appear to be getting Ingram sometime early next week. They are currently battling UConn for Timberlake (I don't know if he'll visit any more schools after his UConn visit.)

I'd rather have the degree + connections from UNC. Never been to Lawrence, but I imagine CH is a better experience too.
You beat me to it but totally agree.
Ingram is supposed to be a high academic kid is the reason he picked Stanford over us the 1st time. Now him picking Kansas over us would make that theory laughable.
Nobody outside the state of Kansas would jump through hoops to get a degree from KU. :rolleyes:

I’ll just respond with, “I’m much higher on Washington than most.” I know you like to beat your dead horse that he cannot defend anyone on the perimeter, so be it. I have the optimistic view that he can provide more on the offensive end than he’ll give up on the defensive end, and that with an extra year in our system he will blossom. Continue on with your pessimism & your agenda that you are right & none of us can have a point of view worth a shit. Blah, blah, blah.

Btw, I’m in the minority of people on this board that believe and appreciate your intel, but you are often too over the top defending your narrative & it is tiresome. How did I do with my quotation marks? Asking for a friend!
Don't take what I say about other kid's ability to play the 4 for us as me not being a believer in Jalen and what he can one day bring us. He may well have the most NBA potential that we have play for us next season, want to be really clear about that.

But based on what we saw, and isn't really all we can base anything off of at this point, I just don't know how far he can come back to where we need him to be for NEXT season? Kid was on ice skates when he was in, no solid base at all, perfectly understandable coming back from what he has but he has to get in to basketball shape before we can really know if he can get all the way back to what he looked to be prior to that knee injury or will he never be able to get back to the point that he can play at a level like this. Kid could be Harry Giles or he could be a version of Durant with a unstoppable jumper with his length. And he could be anywhere between those extremes, at this point I just can't rely on him being on the upper end of that spectrum so I think we need insurance.

Right now I would have to say that our starting 4 for next season is Withers, now I may be higher on Withers than many but I think he is as well a great fit. What I am really hoping for is Jalen to put in the work this off season, getting stronger physically, especially his lower body so that he is able to show some of that crazy upside, he and Withers can split time there and then maybe Jalen can give us some minutes at the 5 to spell Bacot. Withers to me just really solidifies the 4 spot for us. I think we really need a 3, I don't think Jack can get the work done that would allow him to reclass and he is already getting NIL money in high school so why worry about a reclass. Not comfortable Wojik is a starter level guy for the ACC, really nice bench guy but as a starter that is a real concern for me. Right now the choice is Wojik to start or we start with small ball, I prefer neither, so I want a guy like Ingram or Mgbako.

I'd rather have the degree + connections from UNC. Never been to Lawrence, but I imagine CH is a better experience too. But yeah, could see coaching staff outweighing all that.

Can we really not outbid Kansas with NIL? Would've thought we'd be above most save a few SEC schools and dook.
You never been to Lawrence.... Well I never been to Spain, but I kinda like the music...;-)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT