ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Just wow.
Wow?
That I think playing in Hansbrough Indoor Stadium could be an attractive proposition for a High School athlete in College?
For a knowledgeable" Basketball guy" you seem disconnected at times of what kids/ fans deem as cool.

I guess I'm still surprised how quickly people just write off the part where he is a cheater. Same with Sean Miller. The narrative is they're great coaches, and they probably are, but they give themselves unfair advantages against coaches who play within the rules. If I didn't realize what a farce the NCAA actually is, I would be in awe that both self and Miller didn't have lifetime bans.
facts!!!

Reactions: Steat and TPFKAPFS
Wow?
That I think playing in Hansbrough Indoor Stadium could be an attractive proposition for a High School athlete in College?
For a knowledgeable" Basketball guy" you seem disconnected at times of what kids/ fans deem as cool.
Seriously? I've been to a game there (not UNC). Unless you get off on sweaty geeks, it was decidedly not cool. If not for the media hype (which BTW, is what the kids are actually attracted to), it would be just another run-down obsolete barn.

Semantics. UNC lost their first game of the NCAAT each of those 3 years, whether you want to call them 2nd round games is up to you.
Highest ranking in AP poll for those teams were:
1978 #1
1979 #2
1980 #6
Numerous future NBA players dotted those lineups. I was very young, but history says UNC was favored to win each of those games.
Coach Smith lost some games he shouldn't have lost, but if you are comparing Bill Self to him in any facet of coaching go have that conversation with yourself. I'm done.

Bob Huggins and West Virginia sure are reaping the benefits of fully embracing NIL so far this offseason. Their boosters are absolutely hitting it out of the park with these portal additions they are buying.

Bob Huggins and West Virginia sure are reaping the benefits of fully embracing NIL so far this offseason. Their boosters are absolutely hitting it out of the park with these portal additions they are buying.
I'm happy he got Edwards over Self, and hopefully Cooley will close the deal on Dickinson over Self also.
Self/Kansas is Kay/Dook 2.0 in my book. Sleazy, cheating, dirtbag

I'm happy he got Edwards over Self, and hopefully Cooley will close the deal on Dickinson over Self also.
Must be legal to do it I guess ... just shows how bad how their alumni wants them to win !

Syracuse's starting C and Arizona's starting PG thanks to the Country Roads Trust. WVU has got their boosters well organized to succeed in the NIL era.

I'm really starting to hate the NIL era. It has me feeling envious of West fricking Virginia and Bob Thuggins.

Coach Smith lost some games he shouldn't have lost, but if you are comparing Bill Self to him in any facet of coaching go have that conversation with yourself. I'm done.
You haven't really shown any ability to have a conversation, so that may be for the best.
I simply said, favored teams coached by Bill Self AND Dean Smith lost games that they were favored to win.
Not comparing their careers.....

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yeah it wouldn't be surprising at all if Timberlake and Ingram are both off the board officially this week.
1. Ingram is a little disappointing a 2nd time considering academics is so important to him and his family. So I'm calling horse crap on the academics nonsense, he obviously doesn't want to be in Chapel Hill. But I'm not worried, we will find someone to give us 10 and 6.

2. Tim may think he's better than he really is. We'll see how he does at that level.

ANY buzz at all about UNC landing either. Timberlake feels like that ship has sailed but maybe Ingram?
Nope. All the buzz says Timberlake to UConn, Ingram to KU, and Knecht won't even visit us.

Is it a result of how the season went? Is it poor NIL coordination from UNC athletics? Is it something to do with the recruiting pitch? Nobody seems to have those answers.

What we do know is that all recruiting momentum we had coming off the title game, which peaked with those Dec/Jan commits, is now gone. We seem to be in the process of missing the three big wing transfer targets Hubert focused on. We made an offer to a 3 star wing that appears to be directly tied to missing on those transfer recruits. We don't appear to be in a favorable position with Mgbako. There is smoke that Jarin Stevenson is slipping away. And while some people say "be patient, it's still early, maybe more options will enter the portal;" the reality is we still have 3 starting spots to fill and lots of lesser programs are cleaning up in the portal.

• Haha
Reactions: Sk1310
Nope. All the buzz says Timberlake to UConn, Ingram to KU, and Knecht won't even visit us.

Is it a result of how the season went? Is it poor NIL coordination from UNC athletics? Is it something to do with the recruiting pitch? Nobody seems to have those answers.

What we do know is that all recruiting momentum we had coming off the title game, which peaked with those Dec/Jan commits, is now gone. We seem to be in the process of missing the three big wing transfer targets Hubert focused on. We made an offer to a 3 star wing that appears to be directly tied to missing on those transfer recruits. We don't appear to be in a favorable position with Mgbako. There is smoke that Jarin Stevenson is slipping away. And while some people say "be patient, it's still early, maybe more options will enter the portal;" the reality is we still have 3 starting spots to fill and lots of lesser programs are cleaning up in the portal.

And while some people continually think the sky is falling, most of us think otherwise. Time will tell, & if indeed it is, I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.

And while some people continually think the sky is falling, most of us think otherwise. Time will tell, & if indeed it is, I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.
Be honest. When you saw the smoke that Hubert's top 3 wing targets were likely not heading to UNC, and Hubert responded by offering a 3 star wing who currently only has rebuilding programs pursuing him, what was your reaction?

Because I figured Hubert would at least have some other immediate impact transfer targets in mind as back up options. Because even this Dunlap kid publicly admitted nearly every school that was recruiting him has stopped because they took transfers instead.

Be honest. When you saw the smoke that Hubert's top 3 wing targets were likely not heading to UNC, and Hubert responded by offering a 3 star wing who currently only has rebuilding programs pursuing him, what was your reaction?

Because I figured Hubert would at least have some other immediate impact transfer targets in mind as back up options. Because even this Dunlap kid publicly admitted nearly every school that was recruiting him has stopped because they took transfers instead.

I agree with the poster, in whatever thread it was (maybe this one, idk), that we are only one piece away, provided Cadeau reclasses. I’m not high on Trimble, but I’m a believer in Dunn & Washington. I think if we add one more impactful player we’ll be damn good, especially with the difference maker that Cadeau could be. He’s going to make everybody better. I think part of our problem last year was that we had too many players expecting minutes. Find your 8-9 guys that are going to contribute & play them accordingly. No need to reply, I can almost predict your reply verbatim. I prefer to be an optimist, life is more fun that way.

Honest.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Sk1310
In my "honest" opinion we have 60-65 points on our roster now.
One more very good TP addition will put us pretty much right back where we were offensively this past season.
And if we can also get Cadeau now we are looking an Elite 8 team.

Cadeau reclassifying changes the whole narrative for this upcoming season. Bacot needs to stay healthy and improve his low post game. He has to improve with his coordination. Jalen Washington needs to do the same. If he can also stay healthy, improve his coordination, get stronger and a touch quicker then he will be a great asset. People are sleeping on Zayden High. He is raw put he is very talented. I look for Trimble to be a much different type of player going into this year. Hubert didn’t use him right or enough (along with a lot of other guys). However, Seth can’t go out there and play scared and indecisive. Seth has to work on his overall explosion. Too many times he reminded me of his brother where you see the incredible athletic ability but he is slow in his movements and delivery. Losing Nickel and Puff hurts a lot. Hubert has some great pieces coming in but his coaching is what concerns me the most. It doesn’t really matter who we get in if he doesn’t know how to use, develop or coach them. We have let Teams dictate tempo and their styles of play to us. We need for that to stop. Drake Powell is going to end up being a phenomenal player for us when he gets here in 24. Trimble, RJ, Wilcher, Dunn, High, Bacot, Washington, Withers, Wojcik in itself is arguably a top 40 Team. Now you add in Cadeau than we are right back at a final four caliber of a team. Add Ian Jackson? Another high caliber 4? Things can get interesting.

Syracuse's starting C and Arizona's starting PG thanks to the Country Roads Trust. WVU has got their boosters well organized to succeed in the NIL era.

I'm really starting to hate the NIL era. It has me feeling envious of West fricking Virginia and Bob Thuggins.
I've always been in favor of some sort of profit sharing for players. This wild west approach is not what I imagined.

Trimble, RJ, Wilcher, Dunn, High, Bacot, Washington, Withers, Wojcik in itself is arguably a top 40 Team. Now you add in Cadeau than we are right back at a final four caliber of a team. Add Ian Jackson? Another high caliber 4? Things can get interesting.
Still missing that stretch 4 or another proven big man. Withers and High are not going to be the answer at the starting 4. Jalen Washington is not proven enough for that either. Not saying none of these guys CAN be that guy, but at this point, I would be happier KNOWING we have that guy going into the season.

Reactions: Archer2
I've always been in favor of some sort of profit sharing for players. This wild west approach is not what I imagined.
Isn't the logical conclusion of profit sharing that many players will gravitate to where they can get the most profit? Even if you had it disbursed by schools based on some sort of performance metric or gate/TV revenue, the effect would be similar.

I am strongly in favor of this, to be clear. It seems a natural result though, and I think it helps us (we led the NCAA in attendance in basketball this year). Do you think Cadeau + Jackson are anticipating much less income at Carolina than what they could get at other schools? I doubt it.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

Wouldn't bail on Ingram just yet....

Still missing that stretch 4 or another proven big man. Withers and High are not going to be the answer at the starting 4. Jalen Washington is not proven enough for that either. Not saying none of these guys CAN be that guy, but at this point, I would be happier KNOWING we have that guy going into the season.
In my opinion, a starting 4 is the last piece if Cadeau reclass is definitely in place. It is.
Cadeau /Trimble
Davis/ Dunn
Wilcher /Wojcik
Starting 4/Withers
Bacot/Washington/High
Of course when Cadeau reclass happens either Dunn or Trimble probably go portal.

In my opinion, a starting 4 is the last piece if Cadeau reclass is definitely in place. It is.
Cadeau /Trimble
Davis/ Dunn
Wilcher /Wojcik
Starting 4/Withers
Bacot/Washington/High
Of course when Cadeau reclass happens either Dunn or Trimble probably go portal.
Couple things here I go a different direction with, first, I am very comfortable with Withers as our starting 4, for now I would have Washington backing up the 4, I really need to see him develop in to being a guy we can count on for scoring as well as at least rim protection shot blocking before I say start him. I don't know how comfortable I am with Jalen at the 5, even for brief stints without knowing that he can at least battle inside, my thinking he can is just not enough at this point. But Jalen does have that really nice turn around jumper and from all accounts the kid has range well past the 3pt line, strikes me as a stretch guy, I can handle stretching at the 4 but stretching from the 5 spot is not something I have my head wrapped around.

Wilcher at the 3, have floated this myself but realize, he at the 3 is not considered to be a knock down jump shooter and don't forget the fact he is a freshman. If you are looking at a small ball 3 guard look then just be aware that if it is great jump shooting out of the 3 spot you are looking for then you could be disappointed with Wilcher. I see him as a opportunistic scorer much more than a knock down shooter shooter. Actually, if it is dead eye jump shooting you want at the 3 we could be better off with the kid everyone seems to be crapping on, the Cali kid. I think, if we do go to small ball as our primary look that we need to both really ramp up our running game and look to exert much more defensive pressure, I like a small ball look on a running team, not so much on a team that constantly goes in to a half court look as we have for the last 2yrs.

I do like the idea, have floated similar myself, of our making good use of a small ball line up BUT I want us to do that as a look we slide to rather than it be our primary look, our starting line up needs to reflect our primary look and I do not advocate that be small ball. So I want and I think today our primary area of need is a scoring wing (3), I love Ingram for that but what really juices me about Ingram is he has great size for the position, is a great defender, and can effectively use his 6'8" 235lbs frame to battle in the paint. Withers is a 4, he isn't a 3, Ingram IMO is a 3 that can easily switch off on to 4s. He would fit my mold great but as we see, he fits what a lot of coaches want. That is our need area more than any place else, a wing that can score. I like Wojik but I see him as a guy off the bench. With Ingram I think we have final 4 talent, without it really depends more than I would like on kids developing, IE Jalen really jumping up, Wojik knock down jump shooting, High being able to give us productive minutes.

I still think we need a back up center, not sure I trust Jalen or High to be that right now.

Reactions: Archer2
Couple things here I go a different direction with, first, I am very comfortable with Withers as our starting 4, for now I would have Washington backing up the 4, I really need to see him develop in to being a guy we can count on for scoring as well as at least rim protection shot blocking before I say start him. I don't know how comfortable I am with Jalen at the 5, even for brief stints without knowing that he can at least battle inside, my thinking he can is just not enough at this point. But Jalen does have that really nice turn around jumper and from all accounts the kid has range well past the 3pt line, strikes me as a stretch guy, I can handle stretching at the 4 but stretching from the 5 spot is not something I have my head wrapped around.

Wilcher at the 3, have floated this myself but realize, he at the 3 is not considered to be a knock down jump shooter and don't forget the fact he is a freshman. If you are looking at a small ball 3 guard look then just be aware that if it is great jump shooting out of the 3 spot you are looking for then you could be disappointed with Wilcher. I see him as a opportunistic scorer much more than a knock down shooter shooter. Actually, if it is dead eye jump shooting you want at the 3 we could be better off with the kid everyone seems to be crapping on, the Cali kid. I think, if we do go to small ball as our primary look that we need to both really ramp up our running game and look to exert much more defensive pressure, I like a small ball look on a running team, not so much on a team that constantly goes in to a half court look as we have for the last 2yrs.

I do like the idea, have floated similar myself, of our making good use of a small ball line up BUT I want us to do that as a look we slide to rather than it be our primary look, our starting line up needs to reflect our primary look and I do not advocate that be small ball. So I want and I think today our primary area of need is a scoring wing (3), I love Ingram for that but what really juices me about Ingram is he has great size for the position, is a great defender, and can effectively use his 6'8" 235lbs frame to battle in the paint. Withers is a 4, he isn't a 3, Ingram IMO is a 3 that can easily switch off on to 4s. He would fit my mold great but as we see, he fits what a lot of coaches want. That is our need area more than any place else, a wing that can score. I like Wojik but I see him as a guy off the bench. With Ingram I think we have final 4 talent, without it really depends more than I would like on kids developing, IE Jalen really jumping up, Wojik knock down jump shooting, High being able to give us productive minutes.

I still think we need a back up center, not sure I trust Jalen or High to be that right now.
Dave can relate to your suggestion of needing a back up center, but no one is coming to ride the bench behind Bacot, wish I was wrong. It's going to be Washington, or High that will probably be inserted when Bacot needs a rest, or is in foul trouble.

Dave can relate to your suggestion of needing a back up center, but no one is coming to ride the bench behind Bacot, wish I was wrong. It's going to be Washington, or High that will probably be inserted when Bacot needs a rest, or is in foul trouble.
People don't seem to realize, but I think part of Withers' value is that he can also play as an emergency center.

He played a lot of center as a freshman when UL was actually good, and is about the same size as Manek, who was our backup center two years ago. UL's site has Withers at 6-9, 220; B-Ref has him at 6-8, 230. Manek was 6-9, 231. Withers is also a better rebounder than Manek (career 9.9 per 40 min, compared to 8.2 for Manek), though Brady was a better shot blocker (neither is great there). Withers is also better than Nance as a rebounder.

I think the window has closed on another backup guy. Washington with Withers + High in dire situations is sufficient. I think Withers fits great as a top reserve stretch forward who can also play small ball five for spurts.

People don't seem to realize, but I think part of Withers' value is that he can also play as an emergency center.

He played a lot of center as a freshman when UL was actually good, and is about the same size as Manek, who was our backup center two years ago. UL's site has Withers at 6-9, 220; B-Ref has him at 6-8, 230. Manek was 6-9, 231. Withers is also a better rebounder than Manek (career 9.9 per 40 min, compared to 8.2 for Manek), though Brady was a better shot blocker (neither is great there). Withers is also better than Nance as a rebounder.

I think the window has closed on another backup guy. Washington with Withers + High in dire situations is sufficient. I think Withers fits great as a top reserve stretch forward who can also play small ball five for spurts.
THIS! I think Hubert's plan was having Withers being able to play the four and emergency 5 (like he did as a frosh at the ville) and to have Ingram who could go three or four, Wilcher and or Jackson who could go two or three, RJ and Cadeau we would be super versatile. I know there have been a lot of doubt about both Ingram and Jackson so that kind of complicates things but not a plan bad plan to start and it still isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Or Withers

Crime Bill is trying to hold off the kid for someone else he wants more, hence the date being moved back.
If Ingram is ok with that I'm not ok with him ever being a Tar Heel.
Kenny Williams literally committed to VCU over UNC. My guess is you still cheered for him for 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT