ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I never said Withers was a three -- in fact I specifically said he was best suited to the four. I said he can spell the three: e.g., if we get Ingram / Cleveland I think they start at the four, but can slide down to the three when Withers checks in. Hence Withers can sub in for our 3-4-5 spots.

I disagree that Hubert intends to start Withers. That may be the backup plan but we are recruiting Ingram and Cleveland, who are also best suited to the 4 (neither is a great shooter nor perimeter defender). If we miss on our targets, then yes Withers starts. I'll be pretty concerned in that scenario though.

Yes according to TOS. Working on setting up a visit. I think it's Ingram as the top 4 starter target with Cleveland as the backup plan -- we likely won't take both. Withers is the starter if we miss on everybody, but it's unlikely. There are more options being considered beyond those two as well.
Slow that roll a little bit, what I said about Withers was not aimed at your comment, it was aimed at the many OTHERS that have tried to suggest he could be a 3, he simply is not. I don't even want him spelling the 3 for brief stints, fine to have to switch off on 3s in play, better than say Nance switching off to guard a 3 but still kid is a 4 all the way. I see him a bit like Hicks with a jump shot, if that helps frame what I am saying. Ingram is to me the perfect fit because he has the size and weight to play the 4 but his position is at the 3 AND he is a big time defender to boot!

Was it you or someone else that was concerned about Cleveland being a wing at 6'4"? Who ever it was needs to realize the kid is 6'7" and 200lbs, pretty darn good size for a wing. I will disagree with you when you say Ingram and Cleveland are being looked at as 4s, they aren't, they are 3s, being recruited to cover the 3 spot, not the 2 and not the 4. Ingram could play the 4 in a pinch because he has that 6'8" has 235lbs frame (he seems to me to play like a guy that may be 6'7-8" but seems to play shorter, I would really like to know what his reach is but strikes me as no more than average for his height, could be less), Cleveland just is not a 4, not that we would need him to be, just saying he isn't a 4 (I would see him more as a 2 than a 4).

As far as Withers not being a starter, gonna have to agree to disagree on that one, I very clearly see him as our starting 4 at this point and as I said, only guy that can change my thoughts on that is Jalen, from what I see today. I see Withers as Hicks with a much better jump shot out past the 3pt line, would you not love a guy like that?

Last edited:
Yes according to TOS. Working on setting up a visit. I think it's Ingram as the top 4 starter target with Cleveland as the backup plan -- we likely won't take both. Withers is the starter if we miss on everybody, but it's unlikely. There are more options being considered beyond those two as well.
Good to know, thanks.

I still don't think of Cleveland as our starting PF, but think he'd be a good addition, and might start at SF, depending on who else we end up with.

Another 3/4 (or 4/3?) in the portal is Maryland's Hakim Hart. He's 6'8 205. He took more than 40% of his shots from behind the arc, hitting 33.3%. That's a little better than Ingram, a little worse than Cleveland. But unlike those 2 guys, he also hits 80% from the stripe, which makes me feel better about him as a reliable outside threat - whether as SF or stretch 4.

Any interest? I haven't seen him play.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Good to know, thanks.

I still don't think of Cleveland as our starting PF, but think he'd be a good addition, and might start at SF, depending on who else we end up with.

Another 3/4 (or 4/3?) in the portal is Maryland's Hakim Hart. He's 6'8 205. He took more than 40% of his shots from behind the arc, hitting 33.3%. That's a little better than Ingram, a little worse than Cleveland. But unlike those 2 guys, he also hits 80% from the stripe, which makes me feel better about him as a reliable outside threat - whether as SF or stretch 4.

Any interest? I haven't seen him play.
I don't know anything about the Md kid so I can't really speak about him in a meaningful way, will look in to him if we show interest.

I completely agree.

We need another PF - just in case you and I (and AJ and Fisk and a bunch more) are being overly-optimistic on Withers, but we don't need a starter.

We absolutely need a SF who can knock it down from deep. And if he is strong enough to give good minutes at PF, too, that seals the deal. Of the guys we've looked at, Knecht seems most reliable from deep and he's a fighter, but he's not PF. Ingram has the strength to play PF, but is short to start there, and he's not really the high level outside threat we need. More of a "keep them honest" threat.

I wish we could get both Ingram and Knecht. Knecht can play either wing, Ingram can play SF and PF, so both would get starter minutes.

Two problems with that scenario. First, it looks like neither is coming. Second, that almost certainly forces someone (or 2) into the portal. And, frankly, I don't want to lose any of our remaining players.

Cormac Ryan, Matthew Cleveland (and a backup PF) might do the trick. Or might leave us with inadequate outside shooting. Hard to know. But I think both would be good additions if they are interested.
I think you're significantly underestimating who we're going to get in the portal. I think we have a good shot at Ingram and we'll be targeting someone who's even better than him for the SF position.

We need to give it 4-6 weeks in my opinion. Hard to know who's right at the moment. Hopefully me, because I think we'll end up with a more talented roster than you seem to. :D

WW, gonna tell you right now, that "jump" shot is not gonna work. It is like a modified push set shot, he is not getting that shot off in ACC competition, it is to slow and way to low. Sorry buddy, I am a seller on that kid, not a buyer. Lefty has to be turning over in his grave that a kid playing for Md has a jump shot like that! LOL Just my opinion but no way I could offer him just based on that, there is to much broke about that jump shot for me to even think about trying to fix it. Not trying to be rude toward ya, so please don't take it as if, just giving you my take from that clip and I honestly don't think I need to see any more from him.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
I never said Withers was a three -- in fact I specifically said he was best suited to the four. I said he can spell the three: e.g., if we get Ingram / Cleveland I think they start at the four, but can slide down to the three when Withers checks in. Hence Withers can sub in for our 3-4-5 spots.

I disagree that Hubert intends to start Withers. That may be the backup plan but we are recruiting Ingram and Cleveland, who are also best suited to the 4 (neither is a great shooter nor perimeter defender). If we miss on our targets, then yes Withers starts. I'll be pretty concerned in that scenario though.

We are not recruiting Cleveland to
" start" at the 4 spot. He can give minutes there like Leaky, but even Leaky weighed 20-25 lbs more than Matthew Cleveland.
Cleveland is a 3
Whiters is a 4
Ingram is the best option to play both spots successfully.

Reactions: DSouthr
I think you're significantly underestimating who we're going to get in the portal. I think we have a good shot at Ingram and we'll be targeting someone who's even better than him for the SF position.

We need to give it 4-6 weeks in my opinion. Hard to know who's right at the moment. Hopefully me, because I think we'll end up with a more talented roster than you seem to. :D
Sorry but with each day that passes I feel less and less confident about our shot at Ingram, I am reminded of how I felt when we recruited him out of high school, I still think he is not only a great fit for what we really need but so far I have not seen another portal guy that is a better fit, I actually hope to see a better fit enter the portal. When these kids have made their NBA choice to stay in the draft or pull back out, like Nance did, maybe we find another guy that fits just as well?

WW, gonna tell you right now, that "jump" shot is not gonna work. It is like a modified push set shot, he is not getting that shot off in ACC competition, it is to slow and way to low.
It did worry me a bit that his shot looked odd. And that all the ones in the video were against lax D. But when he's open, he seems to make them.

As for competition, he might do even better in our weak-ass conference. ;)

Reactions: gauchoheel
It did worry me a bit that his shot looked odd. And that all the ones in the video were against lax D. But when he's open, he seems to make them.

As for competition, he might do even better in our weak-ass conference. ;)
LOL, LMAO ! Thanks WW, I needed the laugh out loud moment! Feels like I have been way to serious today, time for me to lighten up some, where did I put that bong again>? LOLOLOL

So let's sum up recent events:

- Ingram has an in-home visit with the staff
- Ingram postpones Kansas visit
- Ingram schedules UNC official visit in place of Kansas visit

😎
Supposedly, Kansas has backed off of Ingram because Bill Self isn't very big on Ingram.

So let's sum up recent events:

- Ingram has an in-home visit with the staff
- Ingram postpones Kansas visit
- Ingram schedules UNC official visit in place of Kansas visit

😎
Wow. Excuse me if I find that really encouraging.

I had written off Ingram, but this sounds like we are very much back in the running.

It's not April 1, is it?

Supposedly, Kansas has backed off of Ingram because Bill Self isn't very big on Ingram.
I wonder why?

Do they have someone better for that spot. Seems like he'd be a good addition to most teams.

Are we missing something?

I mean his 3pt shooting may not be as good as we want it to be, and I read somewhere that his motor is no better than ordinary. But everything else about him seems spot on, and those aren't necessarily deal breakers.

Personally, I'm pumped. Snap him up, Hubert. He's not only the starting SF we need but he's the PF insurance we need if Withers isn't actually as good as hoped, or Washington isn't ready to turn the corner yet.

I'd still like to have one of these guys

Knecht
Ryan
Cleveland

Speaking of Matthew Cleveland, does this video collection remind anyone else of Danny Green? Even Danny Green lite would be a nice addition.

Sorry to miss out on a good shooter like Timberlake but the truth is that's a position where we're already pretty deep. We need an SF or 2 and another PF, not more 6'4 guys.

The shooting would have been nice, though. If you get enough shooters from smaller schools, you increase the odds you'll get one able to perform at that level on a bigger stage.

Speaking of Matthew Cleveland, does this video collection remind anyone else of Danny Green? Even Danny Green lite would be a nice addition.

I can definitely see Greene in how he spreads his feet on his jumpers and his off the ball defense.
Strictly from a 3 spot mindset, Cleveland is a better prospect at that position than Ingram.
I like Ingram as a small ball 4 that can play some 3 when we need to go bigger.
JMHO

And here's the Ingram video. Another guy with an occasionally strange, almost stumbling shot - not to mention that the deep shots in this video are rarely contested. Still, he looks like a serious player. Especially inside. Not a bad handle for a big.

Not to mention props for showing off some 1-handed James Worthy style scoring.

Last edited:
I wonder why?

Do they have someone better for that spot. Seems like he'd be a good addition to most teams.

Are we missing something?

I mean his 3pt shooting may not be as good as we want it to be, and I read somewhere that his motor is no better than ordinary. But everything else about him seems spot on, and those aren't necessarily deal breakers.

Personally, I'm pumped. Snap him up, Hubert. He's not only the starting SF we need but he's the PF insurance we need if Withers isn't actually as good as hoped, or Washington isn't ready to turn the corner yet.

I'd still like to have one of these guys

Knecht
Ryan
Cleveland
Not sure. Supposedly Bill Self didn't like something and then prioritized others over him. They moved his visit back, but Ingram said it was due to his classes it was moved (which isn't he visiting us that day now so...)

Knecht isn't coming here either.

And here's the Ingram video. Another guy with an occasionally strange, almost stumbling shot - not to mention that the deep shots in this video are rarely contested. Still, he looks like a serious player. Especially inside. Not a bad handle for a big.

Not to mention props for showing off some 1-handed James Worthy style scoring.

Extremely slow release.

Not really unfortunately. Cleveland isn't much of a shooter. Took less than 2 threes a game so 3-pt sample is tiny, shot only 34% on 2 point jumpers, and low FT %. I don't think he's a big upgrade over Leaky when it comes to shooting. Danny was great there.

Don't know how Cleveland's defense is, but FSU's defense was terrible.

I think Cleveland would need to improve his shot selection and shooting skill to be a big value add on offense. He's a better slasher than Leaky though. Would definitely take him if he wants to come.

Armando just tweeted the Eyes emoji. Does that mean we have some good news coming soon???? Ingram or the ND kid maybe?

Not really unfortunately. Cleveland isn't much of a shooter. Took less than 2 threes a game so 3-pt sample is tiny, shot only 34% on 2 point jumpers, and low FT %. I don't think he's a big upgrade over Leaky when it comes to shooting. Danny was great there.

Don't know how Cleveland's defense is, but FSU's defense was terrible.

I think Cleveland would need to improve his shot selection and shooting skill to be a big value add on offense. He's a better slasher than Leaky though. Would definitely take him if he wants to come.
I was just basing that on how he "looked" in the video.

Obviously if you try to compare sophomore Matthew Cleveland to senior Danny Green, Cleveland comes up short.

Then again, if you compare them both as sophomores, and add that to Cleveland reminding (me, at least) of Green in the video, it's not hard to see how I might call him Danny Green lite. With the obvious hope to be proven right if he comes on board, but proven wrong if he rejects us.

Armando just tweeted the Eyes emoji. Does that mean we have some good news coming soon???? Ingram or the ND kid maybe?
Or Cleveland? No hints in that or subsequent tweets.

[Disclaimer: My grandkids tell me I'm too old to tweet. So I rely on you guys to let me know these things.]

I didn't realize how old Ryan was until now. He's from the same recruiting class as Leaky Black. He'll turn 25 in October. Would that be the oldest player to play for UNC?

Side note: Kansas fans are becoming more and more adamant that Bill Self has chosen to slow play Ingram to prevent him from committing before other targets visit.

Dick Vitale tweeted it's Cormac Ryan

giphy.gif

Safe to say we landed Cormac! Lol.

Nice addition! We've got a 2nd plus shooter whose probably an upgrade from Love on D too. I think we need two wings + Cadeau to round out the team now.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT