----25----25
Cormac--813----21
Withers------14216
Washington--------88
Armando--------3030
High--------00
Ingram----226--28
TOTAL4040404040200

Here's mine. I think we are adding two more wings and Cadeau in Hubert's ideal plan, so I'm going to assume we execute on it. The "transfer wing" minutes depend on the caliber of player we land. Could be only a 18 minute a game type player, or a 30+ minute per game starter if we land a big fish (Mgbako, Trey Alexander, Ricky Council, etc).

Can't really find minutes for Trimble/Dunn. I took Dunn of the list entirely in this scenario; I'd assume he transfers if this is the roster.

I think plan is to start Ingram at the 4. Cadeau/Davis/Cormac/Transfer all get big minutes in the 1-2-3 spots. Withers is a sub 4/5. Don't see High getting minutes as a freshman.

Just realized Wojcik is not reflected here either. He might get 5-10+ minutes a game too. If we can land Ingram, Cadeau, and another Wing it should be a deep team.
7 min for Wilcher?
I will play along when the roster is set, but couldn't let this post go by with a WTF!

7 min for Wilcher?
I will play along when the roster is set, but couldn't let this post go by with a WTF!
I saw subsequent comments you made clarifying the 7 min for Wilcher, but I think he is at worst the 6 man with 20+ min.
I do agree with you that Ingram is our starting 4 if we can get him to commit.
Withers as the backup 4.
I absolutely dont agree that we add 3-4 more players lol. That is insane!

Reactions: gauchoheel
We have no one else at the moment. Ingram was literally on our campus yesterday though and fits best at the exact same position (the 4). We have Davis, Ryan, Wilcher already, potentially adding Cadeau and another wing. Withers is unlikely to be a top player on a contending team.

Not sure why you're refusing to extrapolate our roster based on what we see/hear. We're adding 2 more guys at least, potentially 3-4.
HD might well start Ingram at the 4 but I wouldn't. I'd start Withers. Might just be more proof why I shouldn't be our head coach, but that's my current opinion. If Withers is the next Nance, I'll admit my error. But I like the fit.

I see Ingram starting at SF, backed by Ryan, then sliding to PF for a good chunk of his minutes (while Ryan slides to SG for the rest of his minutes). With Armando in the middle and Cadeau and RJ in the back court, that's a 6-man core I feel pretty good about. Surely 2 or 3 more of our players will show up to give us a complete 8-9 man rotation (no more iron man).

The Core (starters and starter minutes)

• Cadeau (PG only)
  • RJ (SG and PG)
  • Ryan (SG and SF)
  • Ingram (SF and PF)
  • Withers (PF)
  • Armando (C)

Solid contributors

• Wilcher (SG)
  • Washington (PF and C)
  • 1 or 2 others who stand out from the rest

That, BTW, gives us a 12-man roster, with Trimble and Dunn still on board, along with Wojcik and High. I wonder which of those guys will step up?

I'd be very pleased to go into the new season with that 12-man roster.

I saw subsequent comments you made clarifying the 7 min for Wilcher, but I think he is at worst the 6 man with 20+ min.
I do agree with you that Ingram is our starting 4 if we can get him to commit.
Withers as the backup 4.
I absolutely dont agree that we add 3-4 more players lol. That is insane!
Well Cadeau and Ingram would be two. If that leads to a transfer out then we are only at 11 scholarship players. I think we can add 3-4. I don't see why we wouldn't take another forward -- having just Ingram and Withers as true forwards seems risky.

Probably overly pessimistic on Wilcher, but I was just trying to fill in minutes quickly. After seeing Trimble I'm not sure I'd pencil in any 4 star for 15-20 minutes per game. Many people were saying Trimble could leave for the NBA after 1-2 years prior to this past season.

Reactions: tarwhiz
HD might well start Ingram at the 4 but I wouldn't. I'd start Withers. Might just be more proof why I shouldn't be our head coach, but that's my current opinion. If Withers is the next Nance, I'll admit my error. But I like the fit.

I see Ingram starting at SF, backed by Ryan, then sliding to PF for a good chunk of his minutes (while Ryan slides to SG for the rest of his minutes). With Armando in the middle and Cadeau and RJ in the back court, that's a 6-man core I feel pretty good about. Surely 2 or 3 more of our players will show up to give us a complete 8-9 man rotation (no more iron man).

The Core (starters and starter minutes)

• Cadeau (PG only)
  • RJ (SG and PG)
  • Ryan (SG and SF)
  • Ingram (SF and PF)
  • Withers (PF)
  • Armando (C)

Solid contributors

• Wilcher (SG)
  • Washington (PF and C)
  • 1 or 2 others who stand out from the rest

That, BTW, gives us a 12-man roster, with Trimble and Dunn still on board, along with Wojcik and High. I wonder which of those guys will step up?

I'd be very pleased to go into the new season with that 12-man roster.
Damn, you lured me in....
Here is my best guess IF we get Ingram
( I hope we do)
Starters
Cadeau
Davis
Ryan
Ingram
Bacot
6th man
Wilcher
7th and 8th players
Withers/Washington
9th/10th players
Wojcik/Trimble
High is 11th Man and I think Dunn will portal out.
If we add a 12th guy, he would be a long term Freshman.
I see no way we get to 13 Schollys, and predict 11 will be the number.

Well Cadeau and Ingram would be two. If that leads to a transfer out then we are only at 11 scholarship players. I think we can add 3-4. I don't see why we wouldn't take another forward -- having just Ingram and Withers as true forwards seems risky.

Probably overly pessimistic on Wilcher, but I was just trying to fill in minutes quickly. After seeing Trimble I'm not sure I'd pencil in any 4 star for 15-20 minutes per game. Many people were saying Trimble could leave for the NBA after 1-2 years prior to this past season.
In theory we could add 3-4 more guys, but 2 more leave out the back then. I have always argued the final number would be 11-12
It is like that carnival game where you drop your quarter down a slot, and once you have enough quarters on the ledge that keeps pushing the quarters, at some point they fall off lol.
Dunn and Trimble are on the edge, and 1-2 more transfers pushes them off.

In theory we could add 3-4 more guys, but 2 more leave out the back then. I have always argued the final number would be 11-12
It is like that carnival game where you drop your quarter down a slot, and once you have enough quarters on the ledge that keeps pushing the quarters, at some point they fall off lol.
Dunn and Trimble are on the edge, and 1-2 more transfers pushes them off.
It depends on who the player is. If it's a top level forward, then I'd be willing to lose them. If it's not, then maybe you have to reconsider. 11 players is pretty thin though. Injuries and other issues happen throughout the season.

Minor quibble: we don't need wings. We need SFs, 3/4s and/or 4/5s.

Right now Ryan is our starting SF and Withers is our starting PF. I think they can both do that. But I would rather have Ryan at SG. You don't even think Withers is starter quality.

If we only get 1 more immediate need filled, Ingram comes as close as anyone I've heard us show interest in - although personally I'd be happy to get Cleveland.

I hope we are still in the running for Ingram and Cleveland.
3s and 4s in Hubert's offense are interchangeable as wings.

Just like in our old offense 2s and 3s were interchangeable.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'd have Wilcher backing both RJ and Cadeau. If circumstances were so that Cadeau and Wilcher must both be out of the game, I'd turn to Seth at the point. I would do everything possible to keep RJ away from running the point. Of course this is assuming Wilcher and Cadeau are everything they are billed to be.

Reactions: DSouthr and tarwhiz
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'd have Wilcher backing both RJ and Cadeau. If circumstances were so that Cadeau and Wilcher must both be out of the game, I'd turn to Seth at the point. I would do everything possible to keep RJ away from running the point. Of course this is assuming Wilcher and Cadeau are everything they are billed to be.
I agree with this too. I don't want Trimble playing off the ball much this season, unless it is in an offense for defense situation.

Reactions: DSouthr
I agree buddy but can you imagine if Seth makes a legit jump from last year? Imo if that happens we’ll see a game changer. Cadeau better walk on water when he shows up or I’m gonna be disappointed. Lol

Reactions: DSouthr
Good fit. We have no one else. AJ likes him.
As do I.
We have no one else at the moment. Ingram was literally on our campus yesterday though and fits best at the exact same position (the 4). We have Davis, Ryan, Wilcher already, potentially adding Cadeau and another wing. Withers is unlikely to be a top player on a contending team.

Not sure why you're refusing to extrapolate our roster based on what we see/hear. We're adding 2 more guys at least, potentially 3-4.

ETA: also the minutes allocation is inherently conservative, in that it doesn't account for injuries (Bacot, Puff, Washington, Dunn, Shaver all missed games last year). When you take that into account Wilcher's 7 minutes probably becomes 12-15 in most scenarios. The 7 minutes is with a fully loaded and healthy roster (I'm also assuming Wilcher is not already a really good player, which there's a chance he could be).
I think Wilcher will produce fairly early, some this year and more next year.
Damn, you lured me in....
Here is my best guess IF we get Ingram
( I hope we do)
Starters
Cadeau
Davis
Ryan
Ingram
Bacot
6th man
Wilcher
7th and 8th players
Withers/Washington
9th/10th players
Wojcik/Trimble
High is 11th Man and I think Dunn will portal out.
If we add a 12th guy, he would be a long term Freshman.
I see no way we get to 13 Schollys, and predict 11 will be the number.
I’d roll with that lineup. See my sig.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I'm in the camp that playing time guesses at this point is futile. RJ is going to play 30 plus and Mando is going to play 30 plus. The rest is WIDE OPEN.
I hope you're wrong. I'm hoping we can run enough to blow out some teams. I'm hoping Washington is completely healed, Cadeau shows up, and the bench is worthy of solid playing time. Having said that, I expect your statement about RJ and Mando will probably be true.

I think you're too optimistic about a number of players, namely Withers, Wilcher, and Trimble.

Withers: I'd be extremely surprised if Hubert promised Withers big minutes. Frankly he's just not a great player, no top team should be scrambling to add him as a starter. It's a big mistake if Hubert is counting on him as a starting 4 -- and why would he? There are better players like Ingram in the portal to start there. I think we land Ingram. For what reason do you assume Withers is a starter?

Trimble: had a high recruiting ranking, and that's about it. His offense was beyond dreadful this year. No contending team should be counting on him for major minutes. Could he start for Boston College? Yeah maybe, but not serious contenders. If push comes to shove, I think he's likely to get the Styles treatment for minutes this year absent major improvements. And that's what has to happen if you're trying to be a really good team, you can't give someone 15-20 minutes just because he was a high recruit. If that leads to a transfer then so be it, but we're trying to win games.

Wilcher: hard to know, there's a ton of variance in his recruiting range. He's ranked about where Trimble and Coby White were, and the two couldn't have had different freshman seasons. If Wilcher is closer to Coby White, he'll play 25 minutes a game no matter who we bring in. If he's not ready, then I think 5-10 minutes is realistic just as Trimble got in most games. It's not accurate to say "Wilcher was almost certainly going to be our starting SG" though; top teams nearly always have multiple talented options at each position. There was a chance Love was back for his senior year anyway, which Wilcher committed knowing that.

Bottom-line my philosophy (and I think what you see from most college coaches) is add as much talent as you can and let them earn minutes. The same way you don't turn down Cadeau to keep Trimble happy or Nance to keep Styles happy, you don't turn down Cormac to keep Wilcher happy. If Wilcher is better than Cormac it's not a concern anyway, and if not you need to play to win for next season. Have 1-2 program guys like Dunlap on your roster sure, but if we can add another top level wing I'd bet dollars to donuts Hubert isn't turning that guy down. This team is short of really good basketball players; it's not like we have 8-9 guys who've all excelled at the ACC level.
OK, so going to disagree with much of this, will do so respectfully, simply a case of 2 people looking at a thing and seeing things very differently. Makes me no more right or wrong than your opinion, not all I will say is targeted to you, some of this may well be aimed at more a in general opinion. FYI, this is going to get long winded so those of you that can not handle reading more than a quick hitting bite should move on now to another thread or reply to something you are willing to read thru.

First Withers, I really hope folks that express their opinion of Withers would read the write up from David Sisk about the kid from his discussion with a Louisville beat writer. Just as staff writers here, like AJ for example, he has to know the team he covers much better than the casual fan. How many here would like to match their knowledge of last season's teams with AJ and claim they know more? Well, that is the same situation with Withers game being broken down by that writer and discussed with David Sisk. Very clearly his view is that Withers is a player on the cusp of becoming a very good college player, he was just on a team that was a total mess, didn't have a guard interested in anything but his own scoring, no matter how many others were open. No idea why this notion of Withers could play the wing comes from, kid is a 4 all day long, he is to me more Hicks with a jump shot out to the 3pt arch, that guy starts at the 4 for me (unless Jalen makes a HUGE leap forward this off season). I feel great about our 4 spot at this point, I would like more size at the 3 that can still jump shoot and the best fit for that in my opinion is Ingram, Cleveland maybe but I prefer Ingram. I love Ingram's size and still has the ability to jump shoot out past the 3pt line, if he comes to us I start him at the 3 and Withers at the 4, I then come back with a guy like Ryan and Jalen to back them up and I have 2 very unique looks that defenses will have to try to figure out.

Wilcher, really need to understand some things about this kid, I see him as a bit more of an aggressive scoring version of Kenny Williams and a much better ball handler. Now to me that is an outstanding player. While he can get on a heater and hit multiple treys, I would caution folks to not look to him as a great jump shooter right now, I think it is his 1 area that needs most improvement, he isn't a bad shooter now he just isn't a great shooter (you do not leave him to double someone else or he will burn you). But like Kenny did, he brings the intangibles, the refuse to back down to a challenge, the mano Y mano get in to you hard defense, and basketball IQ that is simply off the charts. For me that is an exciting player, he is the guy I think I would start at the point for us if Cadeau did not reclass.

With Cadeau, Cadeau starts at the point, be shocked if he doesn't start day 1. I move Wilcher to the 2 backing up RJ and Seth backing up Cadeau (note, I do not need Seth to shoot it great as a PG, with the ball he can not be doubled off of). Ryan fits in some where between the 2 and 3, more at the 3 if no Ingram or Ingram like guy, Wojik is Ryan's back up at the 3, good minutes if Ingram does not come to us. I can go with a wing (3 spot) rotation of Ryan and Wojik but I would like to see a bit more size there.

Tremble, I very strong did not like or agree with the way Tremble was used last season, will never understand why you put a guy in the game in a position that requires him to shoot that is not a great jump shooter? It wasn't just Tremble that suffered from being put in the wrong positions, Leaky being put in shooting situations, Nance, Nichel, even the type of attempts Puff was given? Of course Tremble has to shoot the ball better, seems most everyone is down on him exclusively because of his jump shooting but there is a heck of a lot more a PG has to do other than jump shooting, most importantly making good decisions, getting the ball to his mates in scoring position, not giving mind numbing TOs, see Kendal Marshal of one example of this. I think the back court of Tremble and Wilcher is a nightmare for opposing back courts for those of us that enjoy watching defensive play that is tough as nails.

It is my sincere hope that RJ has now played his last minute as UNC's PG. Make no mistake about this, UNC has now played 3 seasons in a row without a starting PG, there is no way that makes sense that we do that now 4 seasons in a row. RJ is a 2, RJ has been a 2, RJ has not been a PG, that could not be more clear. Anyone that wants to make a case for RJ being our starting PG for next season, not sure I can even get in to that discussion because 3yrs of this is far more than I needed to see. RJ is a 2, and he will start, he will play big minutes, hard to say this but he may not be the best guy we have for the 2, not sure I would start RJ if being honest but I don't see Hubert taking away his starting gig, I do hope Hubert limits his minutes, no excuse for RJ to 30mins a game. I am not the guy that is saying we build this team around RJ and Bacot, the only guaranteed starter in my book is Bacot. That is not me throwing shade at RJ, I want him in his natural position even if he is small for that position, he should be able to be better for us if allowed to not have to worry about distributing as much.

I agree buddy but can you imagine if Seth makes a legit jump from last year? Imo if that happens we’ll see a game changer. Cadeau better walk on water when he shows up or I’m gonna be disappointed. Lol
What does a "legit jump from last year" mean for him?

Last year, my sense was he couldn't play offensively in this kind of space system. I think his skillset is a player that's completely dependent on the roster around him because he's a liability as a shooter. That isn't to say he can't be a really good player.

Reactions: alabamaheel
What does a "legit jump from last year" mean for him?

Last year, my sense was he couldn't play offensively in this kind of space system. I think his skillset is a player that's completely dependent on the roster around him because he's a liability as a shooter. That isn't to say he can't be a really good player.
I agree and my a jump in his case would be knowing where and when to dribble into traffic and finishing strong with confidence. He definitely showed that to be his best parts imo. And also being serviceable on the long ball. If he can get to 33% on minimum shots from deep he’ll be ok.

I'm in the camp that playing time guesses at this point is futile. RJ is going to play 30 plus and Mando is going to play 30 plus. The rest is WIDE OPEN.
You're right, predicting minutes right now is pretty pointless. But I do think it's basically dependent if Jalen can legitimately contribute at the 5. If he can, then we'll have the flexibility to play small. It's a part of Bacot's game that would help him to improve on. Trayce Jackson Davis, Oscar and Edey all played over 30 minutes per game last year and I don't think any of those bigs broke down late in the season.

But have to see how this turns out. If Hubert trusts Ryan, Wojcik more than he trusted Dunn and Trimble last year (assuming Cadeau is here), then you're going to see more balanced minutes. Then, if Dunn and Trimble improve at all, I think they'll play some more.

I honestly am intrigued by the new team. I don't think we'll be all that good and the ceiling isn't all that high. I wanted to just see a different team than last year. Needed some new faces. At least my imagination can run wild a bit. I also didn't view this as an overnight fix so I might be more patient.

The best thing to happen to this program in the last five years was the run in 2021. But that delayed a necessary reset from that core for a full season. But again, I'm excited about a new team. I think there's a chance we suck. I don't think there's much chance that we're really good. But I'm just looking forward to seeing a new team.

I agree and my a jump in his case would be knowing where and when to dribble into traffic and finishing strong with confidence. He definitely showed that to be his best parts imo. And also being serviceable on the long ball. If he can get to 33% on minimum shots from deep he’ll be ok.
Yea, and don't get me wrong. I don't think you absolutely have to shot 35% from 3 to be an effective player. I do think that's the easiest path. But if Seth is a really good on the ball defender and comes off the bench and changes the energy and tempo of a game with his defense. Then makes good decisions on offense.

I just hope for him his shooting doesn't hurt his mentality. If he is a 55% FT shooter long term, I hope he doesn't shy away from attacking the basket and getting to the foul line.

He doesn't need to shoot it great to be good. But he needs to do everything else really good.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Yea, and don't get me wrong. I don't think you absolutely have to shot 35% from 3 to be an effective player. I do think that's the easiest path. But if Seth is a really good on the ball defender and comes off the bench and changes the energy and tempo of a game with his defense. Then makes good decisions on offense.

I just hope for him his shooting doesn't hurt his mentality. If he is a 55% FT shooter long term, I hope he doesn't shy away from attacking the basket and getting to the foul line.

He doesn't need to shoot it great to be good. But he needs to do everything else really good.
Jung, I may be on this island alone at this point but I really want Tremble on this team. What you saw from him at the later part of the season was a shell of the player that came in as a freshman. I very clearly saw that when I watched him miss 2 wide open lay ups, if you watched this kid prior to UNC you know that he is outstanding at finishing at the rim, watching him miss those 2 lay ups showed me the kid had lost all confidence in his game.

Seth is not a great jump shooter, don't know if he will ever be but he can shoot, his stroke does need work but he shot reasonably well in high school, but you have to be confident when you shoot the ball and he wasn't. Dunn couldn't shoot as a freshman either but the first thing folks noticed about him early last season is dang, that kid can shoot it. I was told many times how Kenny Williams could not shoot because he was what 2 for 11 for the season on treys his freshman season? As a shooter Seth is better than he showed but it is his area that needs most improvement.

The basketball IQ on our team has jumped a thousand percent with our portal editions. I think it's going to be very enjoyable to watch Ryan, Wojic and Ingram do the right things, make the right passes and be in the right spots. The results may equate to the 6 to 10 points per game that cost us so many last year!!

Go Heels!!!!!

The basketball IQ on our team has jumped a thousand percent with our portal editions. I think it's going to be very enjoyable to watch Ryan, Wojic and Ingram do the right things, make the right passes and be in the right spots. The results may equate to the 6 to 10 points per game that cost us so many last year!!

Go Heels!!!!!
I agree, now if we add Cadeau then it will go up another thousand. But the biggest jump in IQ that really needs to happen is with Hubert and our coaching staff.

It depends on who the player is. If it's a top level forward, then I'd be willing to lose them. If it's not, then maybe you have to reconsider. 11 players is pretty thin though. Injuries and other issues happen throughout the season.
Yeah but nobody plays more
than 8-10 players anymore. Somebody shared the 1991 ACCT championship game last night, maybe Fla Heel. I watched a lot of it.
Dean played Chillcutt, Lynch, Montrose and even Rozier in his rotation that day.
And we still had two 7 footers on the bench that did not play in Salvadori and Wendstum. Both played in the NBA for a bit by the way
Times have changed, I don't see elite teams using the 13 scholarships anymore unless something changes again.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yeah but nobody plays more
than 8-10 players anymore. Somebody shared the 1991 ACCT championship game last night, maybe Fla Heel. I watched a lot of it.
Dean played Chillcutt, Lynch, Montrose and even Rozier in his rotation that day.
And we still had two 7 footers on the bench that did not play in Salvadori and Wendstum. Both played in the NBA for a bit by the way
Times have changed, I don't see elite teams using the 13 scholarships anymore unless something changes again.
But Dean would have them as an option if there was an injury and in today's world a player can transfer at any moment. Even during the season. The point of having as many as possible is so you have a backup plan in place. Good coaches go in with a plan B in case something goes wrong.

Reactions: Archer2
Jung, I may be on this island alone at this point but I really want Tremble on this team. What you saw from him at the later part of the season was a shell of the player that came in as a freshman. I very clearly saw that when I watched him miss 2 wide open lay ups, if you watched this kid prior to UNC you know that he is outstanding at finishing at the rim, watching him miss those 2 lay ups showed me the kid had lost all confidence in his game.

Seth is not a great jump shooter, don't know if he will ever be but he can shoot, his stroke does need work but he shot reasonably well in high school, but you have to be confident when you shoot the ball and he wasn't. Dunn couldn't shoot as a freshman either but the first thing folks noticed about him early last season is dang, that kid can shoot it. I was told many times how Kenny Williams could not shoot because he was what 2 for 11 for the season on treys his freshman season? As a shooter Seth is better than he showed but it is his area that needs most improvement.
Agree with you on Trimble, when you review his senior stats from HS, he was a lot better shooter, finishers, and FT% shooter than what he showed last season. Believe he will be one of those players who shows a lot of improvement from his freshman year to his sophomore year. Not so sure if he will ever be a great 3 point shooter, but there are other areas which he can excel in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT