ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday (2nd) Camp game...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
Since I don't see a thread yet, current team came from behind for a win over the alums.
From a text:
Currents were down 7 at the half, won by 5
Pretty strong alum team, incl Cole, KW, Brady, DG, JJ, Luke and more
Frosh again showed they belong
Current Guards more than held their own this year
And, oh yeah --- JWash played and played well, including the game-winner
Time to find a youtube vid...

Geez, "Birdie" Manek lit it up. Hard to imagine he won't get another NBA look.
He's getting plenty of looks, has been since his Oklahoma days. He is ideal with his size and shooting ability. He has to commit to the other parts. With his size and quick shooting, he should be there as a role guy at the least, but he is stubborn with other aspects if not a feature guy, and he ain't going to be a feature. Would love to see him in the Association, but maybe for his personal comfort overseas is his preference?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
He's getting plenty of looks, has been since his Oklahoma days. He is ideal with his size and shooting ability. He has to commit to the other parts. With his size and quick shooting, he should be there as a role guy at the least, but he is stubborn with other aspects if not a feature guy, and he ain't going to be a feature. Would love to see him in the Association, but maybe for his personal comfort overseas is his preference?
He was quite the hero in Australia ;)

He was quite the hero in Australia ;)
He was in Euro league this year, and role played. 7 points 3 boards per. Still shot it well from 3 though. Was better in the land down under though for sure, 13 and 5 per. Not quite hero status , but very solid there.

Last edited:
Cap and Drake also seem locked in on D! With the improvement I already see and my expectation for further development, I expect this team to be very good by ACC time! I would love to repeat at the top of the ACC!

GDTBATH!

Reactions: RHFD
OK, so right off the top, when I saw Manek, I kept asking myself, who the heck is that tall blonde white guy playing with the alums? I mean it was a bit fuzzy, hard to get a good look at the faces closer up but I saw him take a couple jumpers and there was no mistaking who that was, it was Brady without the beard and long locks. LOL

Seth on Cole, man that was fun to watch, big Luke out there just having fun was nice, how about that Ian/Drake back court we got to see some of, not to shabby with Drake as the lead guard? Those 2 frosh look really good, my concern is that Hubert is going to have to reel Ian in at times (has some Caleb Love in him) but that kid will go find buckets. Drake, don't sleep on that kid, amazing how far he has come skill wise in the last couple years, he will play more than I expected next season. Tyson looks opt me like a great complimentary shooter, don't know how much he will create on his own but as a spot up shooter when the drive breaks down to kick out to, it is a bucket. JWith defended well, did tone it down a notch this game from the prior one, offensively I think he needs to tone it down another notch, rebounds the ball and brings it up himself and results in a TO, anyone seen that play before... High solid, really active, looks physically stronger, looks a bit above expectations to me at this point but who knows how he plays when the lights come on. Lubin was relatively quiet, looks like he is trying to figure out how he fits this group, at this point you have to expect that, not even a single real practice in yet. Cadeau looks stronger and really this was just a pick up game, thou against major talents in the alums but felt his drives in both sessions were a bit more forced, decisions not great but don't read a lot in to that because this again was just a pick up game but our current team played well against major talent.

Really good to see Jalen play in this one, really looked like he was moving a lot crisper than he was last season defensively, see a lot of progress from him on that defensive end. But really want him looking for his jumper more aggressively, not sure that I can recall him taking a jumper so that was disappointing.

I had trouble figuring out it was Manek too, lol!

It looks like we can put a seriously good defensive team on the floor if we need to. Cap will have to learn to take better shots and figure out that just because you can make it, doesn't mean you should take it! Boy do I love his aggressive nature and his ability to get the shot off against anyone! Cap just might force his way into the starting lineup!

Last game both Ian and Drake looked good but Ian stood out. This time they both looked good again, but Drake stood out.

While I'm not saying they are similar players, they make me think of Carter and Jamison. Serious potential.

Last game both Ian and Drake looked good but Ian stood out. This time they both looked good again, but Drake stood out.

While I'm not saying they are similar players, they make me think of Carter and Jamison. Serious potential.
Very different players, but yes, another potential dynamic duo who could complement each other nicely.

Seth on Cole, man that was fun to watch, big Luke out there just having fun was nice, how about that Ian/Drake back court we got to see some of, not to shabby with Drake as the lead guard? Those 2 frosh look really good, my concern is that Hubert is going to have to reel Ian in at times (has some Caleb Love in him) but that kid will go find buckets. Drako that because this again was just a pick up game but our current team played well against major talent.
With the full caveat that we haven't had an actual practice yet, there are a couple of things that we can use as at least jumping-off points:

- In case some didn't notice, there was a reason we started (and finished) with that particular lineup --- EC/RJ/Seth/Withers/JWash --- it's what we would put on the floor if we had to play a game right now, i.e., the returning guys who know the system and have played together.

- In other words, that's the "default" we go into summer with. So, one of the qustions over the coming months is how that might change:

- Barring injury, EC and RJ are locked in, as is I suspect, JWash. So, the question marks will be at the 3 and 4. Honestly, I like our options from what little we've seen. My initial guess for most likely to crack it going in is Tyson, due to experience, size and shooting ability, but there are no bad options. We have 10 guys who can flat-out play, and I hope we take advantage of that and really get aggressive and multiple on defense.

Last edited:
So, so much potential throughout the line-up. The coaching staff needs to synthesize the abilities of
these uber talented players in order to play all of them every night! Wear down opponents defensively late into
the shot clock and run, run, run, creating matchup opportunities.
Could not agree more. Coaching is so much about using personnel you have in an optimum manner, and this crew is built for runnung the floor, pressure defense and aggressive use of depth.

Coaching is so much about using personnel you have in an optimum manner, and this crew is built for runnung the floor, pressure defense and aggressive use of depth.
Unfortunately Hubert has not shown a tendency to really prefer any of those. Hopefully this is the year he shows he can adapt his coaching to the personnel.

Unfortunately Hubert has not shown a tendency to really prefer any of those. Hopefully this is the year he shows he can adapt his coaching to the personnel.
I get your pessimism in that regard, so I'll just say I hope Hubert's next step is learning to play for the season as opposed to an individual game. In other words, let these guys feel the coach's confidence --- especially before the holidays --- to get after it and learn to play together in different configurations without the HC trying to over-control the flow.

I know many are worried about the 4 and 5 position
I would respectfully disagree with that. I think we have a (potentially) underrated front line. Lubin, Wash, Withers and potentially Tyson are obviously very good and experienced players .. and there are obviously some very capable and talented options available depending on if hubs want to play a smaller line up. This is a very versatile and talented group.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChapelHeeled
Personally, I think there were a clear 4 separated from backups last yearvfrom day 1. Mando, RJ, Harrison, and Cormac were clearly separated from their backups from day 1. With Cadeau a clear 2nd tier, but young, who shared more with Seth. This year only Cadeau and RJ are clear next level going in. The playing time is up for grabs due to the lack of clear #1 options in my opinion. "If you have 2 quarterbacks, you really don't have one". It will be interesting who steps up.

Personally, I think there were a clear 4 separated from backups last yearvfrom day 1. Mando, RJ, Harrison, and Cormac were clearly separated from their backups from day 1. With Cadeau a clear 2nd tier, but young, who shared more with Seth. This year only Cadeau and RJ are clear next level going in. The playing time is up for grabs due to the lack of clear #1 options in my opinion. "If you have 2 quarterbacks, you really don't have one". It will be interesting who steps up.
Well, first, I don't think depth should be seen as a problem viv-a-vis clear #1s. In fact, I think the staff can be better served by widening their "trust" and giving guys run early and often. A rotation will emerge, but it is nonetheless vital to instill confidence in everyone who takes the floor.

Second, barring physical setbacks, in addition to EC and RJ at the 1 and 2, I'll be surprised if there will be much doubt as to the 5 position.

I get your pessimism in that regard, so I'll just say I hope Hubert's next step is learning to play for the season as opposed to an individual game. In other words, let these guys feel the coach's confidence --- especially before the holidays --- to get after it and learn to play together in different configurations without the HC trying to over-control the flow.
I really do not want to see December games with the bench players getting 15 to 20 minutes, I do not care who the opponent is. UNC had depth a couple years ago but it was never developed. These are all Hubert's kids - if he has the confidence to recruit them then give them some court time early in the season.

Reactions: gary-7
I really do not want to see December games with the bench players getting 15 to 20 minutes, I do not care who the opponent is. UNC had depth a couple years ago but it was never developed. These are all Hubert's kids - if he has the confidence to recruit them then give them some court time early in the season.
Not sure I understand, if you are saying that you do not want to see the bench used heavy in JUST December or is it that you do not want to see some bench players getting 15-20mins all season? I don't want to see the bench used deep and solid minutes in JUST December, I want to see it from game 1 to the last game we play next season. Truth is, you would have a hard sell on your hands to convince me right now that any player on our roster should be playing more than 30mins a game on average, even RJ. Kid gets hot and is having a big time game stay with him for over 30mins is fine but on average for the season I feel we have the depth to keep those averages below 30mins a game.

The one spot where I am concerned is the 5, love Jalen, not totally sure he is ready for 30mins a game or more but when he sits our size sits. Can High give us some solid minutes, he does look a bit stronger than last season and he isn't afraid to wade in the middle of a fight. I do think we can steal some time at the 5 with JWit and Lubin if High is not up to it but that does challenge my confidence a bit.

They had depth 2 years ago?

Puff Johnson was one of the worst players in the country last year. Dmarco Dunn shot under 40% while starting 12 games last year so he got minutes. Dontrez Styles put up solid numbers for one of the worst teams in the country. Does he contribute to winning? Tyler Nickel might play for 4 teams in 4 seasons.

What depth 2 years ago? None of those players played in the NCAA Tournament last year.

They had depth 2 years ago?

Puff Johnson was one of the worst players in the country last year. Dmarco Dunn shot under 40% while starting 12 games last year so he got minutes. Dontrez Styles put up solid numbers for one of the worst teams in the country. Does he contribute to winning? Tyler Nickel might play for 4 teams in 4 seasons.

What depth 2 years ago? None of those players played in the NCAA Tournament last year.
Kind of odd, you suggest Dunn maybe fit your definition of depth but call Puff one of the worst players in the country yet their year end stat lines read nearly identical?

Depth, you know what that is right, they are not starters for your team but they come in and give you minutes. Telling me that you would not like to have had another 6'8" strong 3pt jump shooter to add to last season's team? Funny how Hubert made it his top priority in this last portal to add a 6'8" solid jump shooter? Styles, so we ran with a 6'6" power forward while Styles a 6'6" power forward transferred out. Ingram played great but Styles played great for the team he went to, Styles showed us flashes of potential, we just didn't use him enough for him to develop for us. I submit he could have been solid depth had we used him. Did you NOT like Dunn's jump shooting as a soph for us, I think he was clearly solid depth but would have been even more so last season.

No, I do not agree we did not have depth 2yrs ago, we had depth, we did not develop that depth by giving them minutes they needed to develop. You point to even anything close to negatives for those guys that left just to justify using the line we had no depth. But we used the portal to bring in similar type players to Styles and Nickel and those guys played well for us, nothing says the guys that left would not have. Caleb was the guy that had to go because his game and RJ's just clashed on the court and I have that same concern today concerning RJ and Ian.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT