ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Oklahoma in Charlotte game thread on: Wednesday 20 December 2023

lol I had to go back and read what I even wrote to reply. If you think that Bacot and RJ are in the same boat of nba talent that Roy got to stay four multiple years then we have nothing to discuss. And most all those other guys you mentioned won championships here. I too care more about what they give us at UNC more than the league. It takes more talent than what we have is what I’m afraid of. We’ve had these few guys here a long time and they are good compared to what we’ve been able to get. I’m hopeful in Hubert’s recruiting for sure though.
I sincerely do not believe we lack talent to win but you have to have that talent not only developed but playing together with the rest of their team mates. Now understand, it takes a mix of talents to win big and as I see it, for this season, there is one talent aspect we are missing and it is that rim running shot blocking force that makes any shot inside the paint have to consider where he is. Imagine what just such a player, a player like say John Henson or even a guy like Lively was for duke would do for our defense. All the sudden our guards would be able to get away with some of their miscues because we have that shot blocker there to clean it up as Bacot snags the board. That is where Withers and I believe Jalen could help us because they are as close as we get to having that shot blocking force inside. Withers is that guy that can elevate on both and initial jump as well as second jump and do so quickly. Jalen is more the guy with that crazy reach and good timing even if he isn't the quick off his feet guy, the Perdue center is not a quick leaper either nor is Bacot.

Many, likely most would not agree but I felt we had the talent to win big last season, so did most every expert prior to the season, so did those very UNC fans that later said we didn't have the talent. How many times have I heard that we didn't have much talent on our bench last season so we had no choice but to play Iron 5 yet again? Yet Styles is starting for GTown and playing well, we saw Dunn have good games for us, Puff, as is still the case was off and on the injury list, Nichel is getting solid minutes with VT, even McKoy is playing well in Hawaii, is Seth now seen as talentless? Not like those guys could not play, they just were not used, so we burned out our starting 5 and invented this we don't have talent on our bench excuse. Simple, they are not going to play well if they don't get on the court, play them early so they will be ready late.

Reactions: alabamaheel
I sincerely do not believe we lack talent to win but you have to have that talent not only developed but playing together with the rest of their team mates. Now understand, it takes a mix of talents to win big and as I see it, for this season, there is one talent aspect we are missing and it is that rim running shot blocking force that makes any shot inside the paint have to consider where he is. Imagine what just such a player, a player like say John Henson or even a guy like Lively was for duke would do for our defense. All the sudden our guards would be able to get away with some of their miscues because we have that shot blocker there to clean it up as Bacot snags the board. That is where Withers and I believe Jalen could help us because they are as close as we get to having that shot blocking force inside. Withers is that guy that can elevate on both and initial jump as well as second jump and do so quickly. Jalen is more the guy with that crazy reach and good timing even if he isn't the quick off his feet guy, the Perdue center is not a quick leaper either nor is Bacot.

Many, likely most would not agree but I felt we had the talent to win big last season, so did most every expert prior to the season, so did those very UNC fans that later said we didn't have the talent. How many times have I heard that we didn't have much talent on our bench last season so we had no choice but to play Iron 5 yet again? Yet Styles is starting for GTown and playing well, we saw Dunn have good games for us, Puff, as is still the case was off and on the injury list, Nichel is getting solid minutes with VT, even McKoy is playing well in Hawaii, is Seth now seen as talentless? Not like those guys could not play, they just were not used, so we burned out our starting 5 and invented this we don't have talent on our bench excuse. Simple, they are not going to play well if they don't get on the court, play them early so they will be ready late.
I’m afraid zona is feeling a little of what we did last year. I’ve seen the body language of a few peeps when Caleb ends up shooting it 25 times or so. I know ultimately it’s not funny but people cringe and can’t even hide it. Our problem was more mental than anything I believe

I think this year’s team is capable of making a deep run in March but that comes with a few qualifiers. I think they need a good draw and see teams that got to March with defense and not offense. I also think we need to play our A game to beat the 1 and probably 2 seeds in their bracket.

For Roy’s more talented teams, I don’t think I ever had those qualifiers. Hell, some of those teams could play a C+ game and end up winning games against good teams. Those teams had devastating talent.

This team’s ok but if we drafted UNC players over the last 20 years, how many players from this year’s team plus the last two would get drafted lets say in the top 15? Maybe Bacot? Does RJ make it?

The OP asked what’s the difference between the last few years and the great UNC teams? Sorry, I don’t think the difference was more minutes for DMarco Dunn and Tyler Nickel.

I think this year’s team is capable of making a deep run in March but that comes with a few qualifiers. I think they need a good draw and see teams that got to March with defense and not offense. I also think we need to play our A game to beat the 1 and probably 2 seeds in their bracket.

For Roy’s more talented teams, I don’t think I ever had those qualifiers. Hell, some of those teams could play a C+ game and end up winning games against good teams. Those teams had devastating talent.

This team’s ok but if we drafted UNC players over the last 20 years, how many players from this year’s team plus the last two would get drafted lets say in the top 15? Maybe Bacot? Does RJ make it?

The OP asked what’s the difference between the last few years and the great UNC teams? Sorry, I don’t think the difference was more minutes for DMarco Dunn and Tyler Nickel.
Going back 20 years, there isn’t a single player on this team that I am drafting. There has been way too much elite talent in that 20 years span to take anyone from this team.

Geez, if I could draft anyone that has come in the last 20yrs there isn't a single current college player in the NCAA I would draft?

Is there a single current UNC player I would draft in the next draft, yes, I would draft Ingram. If he can keep his average up as it is someone will draft RJ, 20PPG scores don't grow on trees. Cadeau is for sure a future NBA draftee, does not look for now like that will happen in the next draft. Jalen could get a shot down the road because the NBA does love big men that can jump shoot. Seth has a shot at being drafted one day as well, especially if he can bring a bit more offense and really work on his ball handles, the NBA loves athletes and his ability to on ball defend is special. While to me it does not look like Bacot will be drafted he will be able to put a deal together with a NBA team for at least a cup of coffee. Even Withers has NBA level talent but has not shown the ability to use that talent well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT