ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (FSU game - ACCT)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and the announcers got this one right.

Obviously, the biggest question was which UNC team would show up, and it appears FSU got our attention (as they should).

- As expected, FSU came out grabbinhg, holding, gouging, 2-hand shoving --- everything but foreign objects --- and Lord knows, pretty-boy Cassell's crew just swallowed ther whistles. Credit to Bilas, he was spot on calling that for what it was: "I don't think an NFL running back has taken any more hits than Eliot Cadeau has today." And he wasn't the only one.

- I was worried for a bit that we'd let that mayhem get to us --- missed finishes thru contact and blew 3 outta EC's first 4 dimes --- BUT, our guys manned up and out-aggressed them --- and it was like once FSU saw we weren't having any of that junk,. we started stretching a lead that we wouldn't relinquish.

- The ironic justice is that all their hacking actually HURTS their rebounding! They're so concerned about reaching and ball-hawking that they just do NOT block out. Really no excuse for a team with that length being so bad on the glass.

- back to us --- Once again,. folks --- D E F E N S E. Our 21.5 was a machine, and if you noticed, F SU was mostly relegated to tough mid-range shots (and no transition). Hell, they made an impressive pct of those, lest the score have been worse.

- As for rebounding, we were grown-ass men today, pulling boards with mucho contact.

- Everybody who played contributed --- good all around! In particular, good to see Cormac hasn't cooled off, and Seth in his element. Also good to see Pax splash a 3 --- never know when we might need him for extended minutes. And how bout that JWash rejection?

- But folks, as the ESPN crew correctly, said, Mr. Cadeau was the catalyst that tuned up the Ferrari whilst triggering the defensive aggression. You know Ol' Roy was beaming about those floor burns. BTW, ironic how his Assists got counted correctly when we're not at home... go figure.

- finally, last week I expressed concern that our base actions had been scouted and the hope for some March adjustments, welp... ask and ye shall receive. You may have noticed some Jeff-tweaks on our 2-high action, taking advantage of defenders anticipating the direct entry to get an easy dive for a dunk, and then using "slip" action for a Mando dive after the wing pass. We also varied the normal flair cuts by our Wings with down-hill back-door cuts.

Anyway, fun opener and just a pleasure to watch us negate anything in our way... and good to be able to pull guys early. Whomever we play tomorrow will be frothing at the bit to get into the Dance...
:cool:

I had no chance to watch any of the game, but the 3 to 4 touchdown margin is just what the doctor ordered. Looking at the extended rest it allows the core 8 only logging upper 20's in minutes that puts a smile on my face, especially if they are to play 3 in 3 days. 😃

100% agree with you Gary! When Cadeau dived on that loose ball right in front of our bench the game flipped. His aggression and passion ignited the Team today. His stat line doesn’t come close to showing how valuable he has been to our overall success. I was concerned that one of our players were going to get hurt the way the officials weren’t calling things in the first half. Great Team win by the Heels today! GDTBATH

Well that is sure how you want your team to come out in their first ACCT game, especially when that game was allowed to be very physical. Just punch them in the mouth and make sure the blood does not stop! This was a defensive clinic, Houston held one as well today! It was a total team defensive effort and a lot of fun to watch.

Who played poorly for us, could have done without that rash of early TOs, they may have been a touch over amped up, they really wanted this game, almost a true survive and advance look to them and that is what you want to see this time of the season. Cadeau was outstanding, he was just really in control, he realized really early that FSU didn't have anyone that could stay in front of him and Bacot was just not going to stop. RJ picked his spots and didn't force things, such maturity to his game. Ryan continues to hit important shots and play really solid defense.

And our bench, our key reserves in Seth, and the J boyzs were solid, I thought Seth was outstanding. While Seth is always our defensive leader at times he does get shy on the offensive end, today he played confidently on both ends and while I loved his crash down the lane for that power slam, he is really getting good with that mid range game and seems able to get to it anytime he wants. JWit has really rounded out to becoming a real factor guy for us, the game is coming to him as he has settled down and not forced as much. JWash got solid minutes and played well, I still want him to at times set that high screen and pop up for the return pass and the clean jumper rather than roll down as much.

On to play Pitt tomorrow, should be fun!

100% agree with you Gary! When Cadeau dived on that loose ball right in front of our bench the game flipped. His aggression and passion ignited the Team today. His stat line doesn’t come close to showing how valuable he has been to our overall success. I was concerned that one of our players were going to get hurt the way the officials weren’t calling things in the first half. Great Team win by the Heels today! GDTBATH
Cadeau is just so deceptively quick, he does not look as quick as he actually is, he makes hard things look easy? IN back to back games now he has cut UNDER a guard brining the ball up court for the steal, you just are not supposed to be able to do that without fouling. That little burst he showed getting to that ball on the defensive end diving to the floor, looked like he was shot out of a cannon. Just imagine this kid with an off season to prepare and this season under his belt!

iu

Biggest thing I saw was on one but RJ played 30 minutes everyone else was under 30 that's huge trying to play 3 in 3 days.

Reactions: Heelicious
Just an overall great game by the good guys today. EC was fantastic. Defense, Rebounding, and the starters got some rest. Couldn't ask for a better start to the tourney for the Heels.

That sequence near the end of the first half still has me pumped...
  • defense forces a shot clock violation
  • offense gets 5 rebounds and keeps attacking until Bacot finally gets the layup
When the Heels play with that kind of effort, they can beat anybody, anywhere.

- But folks, as the ESPN crew correctly, said, Mr. Cadeau was the catalyst that tuned up the Ferrari whilst triggering the defensive aggression. You know Ol' Roy was beaming about those floor burns. BTW, ironic how his Assists got counted correctly when we're not at home... go figure.
Some people around here got mad when I called EC a "Generational Talent".
Well they can stay mad for all I care because that's exactly what we are witnessing.

But the key over the next 3-4 weeks will be C-Mac Ryan in my opinion.
RJ is RJ, Mando and Ingram are pretty much write in double-doubles. I love the confidence Seth is playing with. Withers and JWash are giving good role minutes.
That leaves Cormac. His up and down season is trending in the right direction. He's making teams pay for doubling Armando and face guarding RJ.
If that continues we will cut the nets down on April 8th.

Last edited:
GDTBATH
We were so fired up defensively and frankly, irritated that the noles were allowed to do anything
physical without getting whistled, that we just notched it up another level and said:
Enough of this!
EVERY player was impactful on both ends of the floor and we NEVER took our foot off the gas until Lebo
took the air out of the ball with ten seconds left.
Gotta bring that same level of intensity against the Panthers tomorrow night.

Cormac could be the Brady Manek of this team. Need a three--got it!

The refs swallowed their whistles on both ends and we beat Florida State at their own game. I think they were shocked how physical we were with their lanky-selves and it super rattled them. The first play or two when one of FLST players did a two handed lineman “screen” that freed up a layup… I was concerned for the day. Then the rest of the game we out muscled, scraped, clawed, slapped and attacked them.
Let me be clear, I am not complaining. Whatever style the refs want to call the game, as long as it is consistent on both ends whole game… let’s play ball!!!
I do agree with an above poster, refs swallowing their whistle helps us this year with how physical this team can be.

For sure, the Heels have not responded well to physical teams over the years. However, this years squad is not afraid to mix it up. The new guys (Harrison and Cormac) have some dog in them, RJ's always been a tough little nut, Armando can bang with the best of 'em, and we saw EC's commitment to dive in there and get scrappy for loose balls yesterday. The bench is not afraid of getting physical right back as well. Hubert has done a fabulous job of having our guys ready for this style of play. Bilas's comment about the Heels being a blue blood team with a blue collar attitude summed it up perfectly.

We know we're going to get EVEN MORE of this... "physical" play tonight vs Pitt, but I feel better about our ability to deal with it than I would have in past few seasons.

That was the best effort/want to I have seen from UNC (not including dook games) in some time. If UNC plays with that fire from here on out I love their chances, and if a a team beats them giving that effort I will tip my hat.

The box score was beautiful - limited minutes for starters, nice shooting %'s, owned the glass, 18 assists on 34 baskets and 6 steals/3 blocks to boot.

Pitt tried bully ball once and we beat them, hopefully Hubert can keep them focused and again come out ready to play.

For sure, the Heels have not responded well to physical teams over the years. However, this years squad is not afraid to mix it up. The new guys (Harrison and Cormac) have some dog in them, RJ's always been a tough little nut, Armando can bang with the best of 'em, and we saw EC's commitment to dive in there and get scrappy for loose balls yesterday. The bench is not afraid of getting physical right back as well. Hubert has done a fabulous job of having our guys ready for this style of play. Bilas's comment about the Heels being a blue blood team with a blue collar attitude summed it up perfectly.

We know we're going to get EVEN MORE of this... "physical" play tonight vs Pitt, but I feel better about our ability to deal with it than I would have in past few seasons.
Great post. I just always hope somebody doesn’t get an injury from lesser players thugging it up which is totally in Pitts bag of tricks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT