ADVERTISEMENT

Very Quick stuff (State game - ACCT)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and I'm not gonna dwell too much on tonight.

Y'all saw it --- there was NOTHING good about this one --- poorly played, coached and officiated --- and if the first two weren't so crappy the third probably wouldn't have even mattered. Thus, I'm only gonna mention ONE thing specific to this game, which is:

- WTF were we doing with Burns? All you hafta to do to negate his isos is an immediate flash double-then-recover. He will pick up his dribble every time. I've watched more than one opponent totally take him out of games with that. Hell, we did it once and then never again. Thus, we allowed a fat guy to be a one-man delay game, and when you let him dribble into the paint bad things often happen.

OK, everything else speaks more to the next (hopefully) 3 weekends:

- Our game-plan was just... bad. State is a HALF-COURT team, and one that was leg-weary, but as mentioned above, we laid back and allowed them to dictate tempo. We should've come out of the damn locker room hitting them with 30 and 40 with different pickup points. Hell, once we belatedly pressed we forced what?... 6 TOs in that last couple minutes? Granted, by then it didn't matter when we couldn't hit the broad side of a damn warehouse to convert, but the POINT is that we could have easliy broken them early. But no... we let them settle in and start believing they could win.

- the reason I'm saying this is the exact same reason I've been hammering on our tendency to take the foot off the gas. We simply can't count on playing not to lose. We NEED to force tempo, because as we saw tonight, you can't count on shooting your way out of trouble every night. And if we play into opponents' hands in the Dance, we might be going home early.

Finally, ok look.... offensive games like this happen, and as much as I hate letting an ACCT title (and maybe a #1 seed) slip away, we all know what really matters is still in front of us. Let's hope this horrific shooting performance is out of the way, but we also made way too many mental errors for an experienced team, and that dog will not hunt.

Anyway, this is a critical practice week for the staff as much as the players. If we enter the Dance with tempo, aggression and swagger, there is no limit. And sure, we have played a lot of good defense recently, but tonight we made ourselves sitting ducks. Hopefully that will be a lesson...
:mad: :oops:

8 - 30 on 3's (4 -17 other then RJ). When Cormac and Ingram struggle from behind the arc, RJ is left on an island for that role. When Cadeau and Seth shared the court, State sagged back to 15 feet, it was extreme. We gotta shoot it in this one and done tournament starting next week, not lights out, but have to keep the court spread with solid marksmanship.

Elliot also is starting to have a tough time finishing when he eschews the jumper and drives. Mando having more bodies near by.

I give State major props, that is one hell of a run winning 5 in 5 days, they earned thier unlikely dance ticket.

We are healthy and will be a 1 or 2 seed at worst (Iowa State?). In any event, no complaints from me, get ready to win two next weekend and advance. It's Big Dance time after a really good year to this point.

Y'all saw it --- there was NOTHING good about this one --- poorly played, coached and officiated --- and if the first two weren't so crappy the third probably wouldn't have even mattered. Thus, I'm only gonna mention ONE thing specific to this game, which is:

- WTF were we doing with Burns? All you hafta to do to negate his isos is an immediate flash double-then-recover. He will pick up his dribble every time. I've watched more than one opponent totally take him out of games with that. Hell, we did it once and then never again. Thus, we allowed a fat guy to be a one-man delay game, and when you let him dribble into the paint bad things often happen.

- Our game-plan was just... bad. State is a HALF-COURT team, and one that was leg-weary, but as mentioned above, we laid back and allowed them to dictate tempo. We should've come out of the damn locker room hitting them with 30 and 40 with different pickup points. Hell, once we belatedly pressed we forced what?... 6 TOs in that last couple minutes? Granted, by then it didn't matter when we couldn't hit the broad side of a damn warehouse to convert, but the POINT is that we could have easliy broken them early. But no... we let them settle in and start believing they could win.

- the reason I'm saying this is the exact same reason I've been hammering on our tendency to take the foot off the gas. We simply can't count on playing not to lose. We NEED to force tempo, because as we saw tonight, you can't count on shooting your way out of trouble every night. And if we play into opponents' hands in the Dance, we might be going home early.

Finally, ok look.... offensive games like this happen, and as much as I hate letting an ACCT title (and maybe a #1 seed) slip away, we all know what really matters is still in front of us. Let's hope this horrific shooting performance is out of the way, but we also made way too many mental errors for an experienced team, and that dog will not hunt.

Anyway, this is a critical practice week for the staff as much as the players. If we enter the Dance with tempo, aggression and swagger, there is no limit. And sure, we have played a lot of good defense recently, but tonight we made ourselves sitting ducks. Hopefully that will be a lesson...
@gary-7 great post. I think all agree with every word. Also. - whoever is in the game as point - how hard is it to say “no more half court possessions until we get it to bacot (or maybe Ingram or even jwash) on the low block.

The lack of pressing and trapping and picking up DJ Horne with tougher defense is coaching malpractice. Hubs not dumb. I don’t know what has scarred him in past into such stubborn reluctance to press and trap. It’s like the other team handing you a big advantage and you say nah pass, I’ll just forfeit / concede it. And hubs has done this often this year and this isn’t the first game it’s cost him. And almost cost him more. And could lead to early exit like you said.

We can be a good press and trap team. Down 10 with 2 minutes to play, when’s the game is over - is not the time to start. At that point it’s just stupid and insulting that hi s can’t figure out how to use it earlier. Not on every possession but mix it up and see what happens. I feel like I can count on one hand the times the Heels pressed / trapped this year AND it ended in a bad result (dunk or layup). I just don’t understand it.

Last edited:
Just a bad game by EC…Really a tough tournament for him other than FSU..Bottom line if he can’t hit the layups on the drives we are screwed going forward..Fact is he can’t hit a jump shot to save his life…Hopefully teams moving forward want play off but man it’s bad…

I don’t know if I have ever seen a kid so good struggle so much at shooting the ball…I keep wanting for him to hit 1 and break out…I don’t know…

Can’t argue with one single word man. I hate it as all we could do is holler at the tv but dang it. I too am afraid it could cost us a 1 seed. Iowa St looked like a boy dog against the number 1 team today. But in hopes, maybe it woke everyone up and they can hit a good stride.

Just a bad game by EC…Really a tough tournament for him other than FSU..Bottom line if he can’t hit the layups on the drives we are screwed going forward..Fact is he can’t hit a jump shot to save his life…Hopefully teams moving forward want play off but man it’s bad…

I don’t know if I have ever seen a kid so good struggle so much at shooting the ball…I keep wanting for him to hit 1 and break out…I don’t know…
Not the same but kinda reminds me of Markel Fultz or whatever who for whatever reason lost the ability to shoot after being drafted in the NBA. Hopefully Cadeau finds his shooting touch. It's not good watching him miss layups and point blank shots badly that middle school kids can make in their sleep. Most of his 3s aren't even close either.

If he gets that shooting touch, he can be an all American.

Reactions: gary-7
Can’t sugar coat this game. This loss will haunt UNC and the fanbase and me for along time. This was way beyond embarrassing and humiliating

Thanks again Gary; it can’t be easy to summon the energy to recap a game like that.
Tip our hats to the Pack for dancing in that fashion, every dog has his day but they
had five of them in a row.
Our coaches prepared poorly for a team that we should have pressed often to speed up the
tempo, then we panicked and jacked every three we could hoist as an offensive strategy.
l don’t mind an occasional loss, but….
Thank goodness we have talented players who will soul-search and ratchet up their desire to
finish the season on a positive note. I hope we can.

I’m hoping Moo is an 8 or 9 in the UCONN East region. I’d love to see that 2nd round game. Probably more like a 10 or 11 though.

Cadeau needs to make a 1,000 shots a day, each and every day after this season’s over until the next season starts. No better coaches than Davis and Lebo to help him.

Last edited:
That was a prime example of the other team wanting it more than us. We were outhustled for most of the game and then we were the tighter team going down the stretch. 2 or 16 in the last few minutes-yikes! We've got to get offense from someone other than RJ and Bacot.

Game was loss before it started.

Horrific gameplan from the jump.

I don't blame the players.

But still ACC Champs so it was s successful tear to me.

Also we never win the Natty when we win the conf tournament. Good omen.

Won't need to win 14 in a row.....just 6 now.

Well that was about as ugly as it can get...

The 100% key to this game was defending Burns, it was crystal clear very early that Burns was going to be allowed to make as much contact as he wanted without a whistle, doesn't matter if you feel that was right or wrong, what matters is that was how the game was going to be called and you adjust to that, we didn't. We let Burns establish his positioning and brought a slow double, Burns is to good a passer to bring that slow double. You have to bring that double on the catch with him and force him to pick up his dribble, we were consistently late on that and Burns Burned us for it over and over, wash rinse and repeat. And we had played him so well the last time we played them. The doubles were slow and telegraphed, we had extremely poor rotation after help, and we didn't seem to know what a passing lane was? I wanted Withers in a lot more to challenge Burns, he seemed to play him better by getting under him with a bit more leverage where Burns was backing Bacot down at will. How many times do you need to see that to adjust to something different? Ingram got a grand total of 10pts and 3 boards while Dirarria got 11pts 14 boards and 3 steals, he whipped Ingram. RJ came to play but he wore down late, went cold with about 5mins left...

Then you have Horn going off, played how long with 4 fouls? Of course, not sure what he would have had to do to pick up his 5th when it really mattered, he straight up tackled Cadeau when Cadeau was going after a loose ball with a ref standing no more than 5 feet away staring directly at it? Now granted, that was a nice form tackle and maybe he should play for the football team but it was in no way a basketball play, it was an intentional act that should have been both a T and Horn's 5th foul but for some reason it was a no call? LOL

NC State played 5 games in 5 days and WE looked like the tired team??? RJ came to play, Bacot had some moments but everyone else just didn't and we took the loss. Well, those folks that worry that we can't win both the ACCT and the NCAAT can rest a bit easier now. It was a bad day for the top teams in the country, UConn was the only #1 seed in the NCAAT That survived.

Cadeau needs to make a 1,000 shots a day, each and every day after this season’s over until the next season starts. No better coaches than Davis and Lebo to help him.
And Marcus. But, yeah. He needs to be a legit threat from deep next year. And FTs, too.

Reactions: DaSheed
It's not good watching him miss layups and point blank shots badly that middle school kids can make in their sleep.
I had a Wes Miller flashback.

For those who may have forgotten, in 2006 (when Hansbrough was a freshman) Wes shot 44.1% from deep and only 40.0% from 2-pt range. Some of those 2-pt misses were layups. The farther from the basket, the more comfortable he looked. Or so it sometimes seemed. Wes was also a relentless, in-your-grill defender. And now, of course, he's coaching Cincinnati.

Embarrassing and disappointing loss. You have a tired opponent with their backcourt fighting nagging injuries and you do not press?? They shot lights out because we let them comfortable in their offense and that snowballed into they started hitting everything. Add in not trying to establish inside game early to force Burns to defend and I have to put this loss on the staff.

Oh well, I guess state can win one every 40 years. Good news is if history repeats I won’t see it again in my lifetime.

Lots of teachable things from the tape. Now refocus for the big dance.

I wonder if now that the wuffs are in the NCAAT, did they take another ACC teams spot, like Pitt?

I as well wonder, concerning the game last night, they had to sit around all day with all the talk that UNC had wrapped up the final #1 NCAAT seeding combined with all the talk about how the wuffs would be playing for the 5th consecutive day, implying that the wuffs would be easy pickins to the extent they just lost their edge? WE just gonna breeze in pick up this low hanging fruit, get the title, celebrate and sit back on selection Sunday king of the ACC Hill and as Houston and Purdue as well found out, that you under estimate your opponents at your own peril.

My final thought on this game was that I have seen teams get on a heater run and doing so play way above their level for a streak of games have seen the wuffs do it before, we did it in Hubert's first season as head coach. All the sudden they believe, it is a collective mindset, we lost to that last night. State played with freedom from expectations, it was the teams they played that were expected to win but it was NC State that played like their very lives depended on it, they played with that desperation. You get on that heater like that you don't really get tired, you are playing on emotion, we played "Iron 5" season before last and NEVER looked like the tired team until the second half of that natty game where we imploded. Basically that same team did not make the NCAAT last season, a team that gets hot defies logic. It is just like a individual player that all the sudden gets hot and runs thru a streak of games where he can't miss, at times teams do this as a collective.

One more thing, I don't put this one on Hubert, there were a few things I would have liked to see us try but the players have to bring that focused intensity. It was not as if Hubert did nothing to try to stop Burns or Horn. I did want to see more JWit in against Burns and not have to see Bacot trying so hard to handle him 1 on 1. But the players have to do their part and they just did not have that focused intensity required to beat a team on a big time heater.

Disappointing effort from the Heels last night. They seemed like a team that knew they had that 1 seed locked up, and were expecting state to wilt down the stretch. I thought we were in decent shape at halftime, but down the stretch we got tight and relied on RJ and Armando to do all the heavy lifting.

Would've loved to have seen us try to run them out of the building from the jump, as Burns wouldn't have been able to keep up. As others mentioned, pressing them early and often could've changed the game for the better. We saw how they tried to give it away when we finally did, but couldn't make a freaking shot when most needed.

Regardless, my take is that hopefully Hubert is just following Dean and Roy's plan... 1993, 2005, 2009, 2017 all won the regular season, but not the tourney, and were no. 1 seeds.

Lunardi still has us as a #1 seed, as of this morning.

If I were voting - without my Carolina blue glasses on - I'd probably put Iowa St. in that slot. I like the way they smashed teams that beat them early on when rematched.
You may be right. If a person removes themselves from being a UNC or Iowa state fan - I think UNC still gets the 1 seed. I think the whole year body of work is taken into account and in past years the committee has taken care to not overreact to what happens in conference tourneys regarding high seed placement.

And I know it likely has happened in the past but is probably not super common to have two #1 seeds from same conference unless both have been great all year.

But I don’t know if it makes a ton of difference. I am guessing the 4-5 seeds will be UNC and isu with maybe UT as #6. It would be nice to have another 1-seed distinction though. I think we have the record for most 1 seeds and would be nice to extend it.

1. It's pretty sad when a team playing 5 straight days looks fresher and more conditioned than we do.
And who do we blame for that without the apologist going nuts in this thread?

2. Hubert was a shooting guard and he's coaching like a shooting guard no matter how many times he's said he wants to feed the post. Living and DYING by the long ball and playing a short bench will be the kiss of death to his success. In all honesty he coaches like he sat on dook's bench for 9 years.

UNC looked leg tired because it also looked brain dead. The big question is: Does Davis have it in him to keep his team mentally and emotionally energized and refreshed to be able to finish tournaments and seasons at the top?

Reactions: Heelicious
I’m hoping Moo is an 8 or 9 in the UCONN East region. I’d love to see that 2nd round game. Probably more like a 10 or 11 though.

Do you know how many shots he would have to take before making 1000 a day? That’s a pretty large number.

You may be right. If a person removes themselves from being a UNC or Iowa state fan - I think UNC still gets the 1 seed. I think the whole year body of work is taken into account and in past years the committee has taken care to not overreact to what happens in conference tourneys regarding high seed placement.

And I know it likely has happened in the past but is probably not super common to have two #1 seeds from same conference unless both have been great all year.

But I don’t know if it makes a ton of difference. I am guessing the 4-5 seeds will be UNC and isu with maybe UT as #6. It would be nice to have another 1-seed distinction though. I think we have the record for most 1 seeds and would be nice to extend it.
I think it is a toss up. Iowa State's body of work is ahead of UNC in both the NET and KenPom. UNC has a regular season conference title, 2nd in tourney, Iowa State the tourney title, 2nd in regular season. Big 12 the stronger conference. I'm fine either way. IfI had to bet, would lean Cyclone's getting the nod.

Both 27 - 7 overall and both 16 - 7 in combined quad 1 and 2 games. UNC better in quad 1 games 9 - 3 to Iowa State 10 - 6. Really close years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
What is wrong with Ingram, is he already counting his NBA dollars? Last 2 games his scoring and rebounds haven't been up to his averages.

The committee will send Carolina out west because they want to see Caleb Love and Arizona vs UNC. Tv ratings mean big money. How many years in a row did the committee put Kansas and Carolina in the same region for the exact same reason. Put in down Carolina will open up in Charlotte

We can be a good press and trap team. Down 10 with 2 minutes to play, when’s the game is over - is not the time to start. At that point it’s just stupid and insulting that hi s can’t figure out how to use it earlier. Not on every possession but mix it up and see what happens. I feel like I can count on one hand the times the Heels pressed / trapped this year AND it ended in a bad result (dunk or layup). I just don’t understand it.
You said it spot-on right there... and I'll offer, not just good, SUPERIOR. We are built for it. Our small Guards are made for moving their feet and ball-hawking --- EC is lightning and RJ is no slouch, plus Seth, Cormac and even Ingram with his long arms and Withers with that athleticism are extremely mobile, and Mando or JWash on the back end rim-pro.

And as you said, mix in 32/42 in half-court sets, and spring some full and 3/4 court pickups along the way. I mean, Roy could be maddeningly stubborn, but even he would use more scrambles. I really think (and hope) that the next step in Hubert's evolution as a HC is to believe in the system and the guys enough to not default to playing so close to the vest. As I've said before, we have practiced the entire arsenal --- use it!

Honestly, the only thing I can figure might be Hubert's NBA influence, where seemingly every competitive game bogs down to exchanging half-court scrimmages at the end. Look, it's good to be able to do that, but defaulting to that or doing it too early keeps opponents in games.

The committee will send Carolina out west because they want to see Caleb Love and Arizona vs UNC. Tv ratings mean big money. How many years in a row did the committee put Kansas and Carolina in the same region for the exact same reason. Put in down Carolina will open up in Charlotte
I would not be at all surprised to see that...

I think it is a toss up. Iowa State's body of work is ahead of UNC in both the NET and KenPom. UNC has a regular season conference title, 2nd in tourney, Iowa State the tourney title, 2nd in regular season. Big 12 the stronger conference. I'm fine either way. IfI had to bet, would lean Cyclone's getting the nod.

Both 27 - 7 overall and both 16 - 7 in combined quad 1 and 2 games. UNC better in quad 1 games 9 - 3 to Iowa State 10 - 6. Really close years.
One thing that I hope the committee factors in - ISU's non conference SOS is 351 per kenpom. So like a lot of big 12 teams they loaded up on big victory margins over q4 teams. We played some good / GREAT teams out of conference.

Last edited:
UNC looked leg tired because it also looked brain dead. The big question is: Does Davis have it in him to keep his team mentally and emotionally energized and refreshed to be able to finish tournaments and seasons at the top?
Last night was more about hitting shots than coaching…Missed a bunch of open looks in the 2nd half…Coach Davis can’t control that…Just a tip of the hat to west Raleigh…It was bound to happen sooner or later…1987 was the last time…Got to let little brother win sometimes…

• Haha
Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15

Bad shooting night for sure --- and he was far from alone on that, BTW --- but bad game? AYKM? He had 8 dimes and I stopped counting at 12 blown. Kid was creating open look after open look with next-level finds, and if we just convert a third of those misses we win. Fact is NOBODY had an overall good game, no matter whom you want to scapegoat.

Do you know how many shots he would have to take before making 1000 a day? That’s a pretty large number.
Right. And the volume and repetition aren’t what’s important and can even be counterproductive repeating and ingraining bad habits - unless / until the coaches get his shot mechanics fixed first.

Plus I think you get a lot better practicing shooting while being guarded than just shootimg wide open on your own. More real game scenarios. You need some of both but just making some number of shots alone in a gym isn’t the best path.

Maybe he and Seth could become workout partners over the summer. Could help each other a lot.

Last edited:

Yes. One other thing I saw was that Iowa states strength of schedule is like #303. Not sure how that is possible. I just think also when in doubt the committee will lean toward the blue bloods for better story lines for casual fans. I still think UNC is on one seed line in the west and plays in Charlotte on first weekend.

Yes. One other thing I saw was that Iowa states strength of schedule is like #303. Not sure how that is possible. I just think also when in doubt the committee will lean toward the blue bloods for better story lines for casual fans. I still think UNC is on one seed line in the west and plays in Charlotte on first weekend.
UNC will be in Charlotte regardless as a 1 or 2. I think it is really a 50/50 between the two. No conspiracy theory or valid complaint from either side if they end up are a 2. I'm fine either way. If I had to bet, I would think Iowa State gets it by a hair.

That would be a crime. UVA shouldn't be sweating, but who knows these days?
Moron Toad Lunardi has UVA out and Pitt WAY out so maybe they are both in. 😏

Seriously he is such a clown. With bad takes. Whatever he reports maybe catches up with reality a day or two later. Others have stated on this board - there are easily 20+ people who do predictions as part of their jobs so why does Joe get so much face time? It’s because espn is lazy and how could they move on from loudmouth name they’ve propped up - that people know? Sort of like dick vitals or mike Patrick.

Joe L‘s matching of what teams go where is idiotic too. Most 4th graders could master an S curve concept for top 12-16 teams (especially top 8) - but not Joe! Outside of top 8 teams there is about a 1% chance your team will be playing the team and location Joe has listed - so why put out the bracket for all 64? Just be better about which teams are in and out and what their seed is. That’s what matters

Reactions: gary-7
UNC will be in Charlotte regardless as a 1 or 2. I think it is really a 50/50 between the two. No conspiracy theory or valid complaint from either side if they end up are a 2. I'm fine either way. If I had to bet, I would think Iowa State gets it by a hair.
I agree with all this! I think UNC gets it due to ISU weak full year SOS - and a bit of a blue blood bias. And if there is any ACC person on the committee- I’d think they’d balk at getting screwed over with only 3-4 ACC teams in AND getting the top full year ACC team bumped from one line

Yes they absolutely do stuff like this…but reality is more often than not the matchups never materialize. It wouldnt surprise me at all to see Arizona and Purdue get bounced before elite 8 (UNC too, sad to say….)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT