ADVERTISEMENT

What you listening to today?

If I were being tortured by music, I think I would break faster to "All I Need is a Miracle."

A few others that come to mind would be "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now", "We Built This City" and "Take On Me." Those would make me stab my eardrums out.

I'll leave it up to the judges to decide if this qualifies, but the duo of Simon and Garfunkel were great together and then Paul Simon went on to an even greater solo career. Not so much with Garfunkel, but he did produce a couple of decent albums with songs such as "All I Know" and "What a Wonderful World" that did include Simon along with James Taylor participating.
Thanks for that. I had forgotten about the "What A Wonderful World" cover. I used to hear that in my mom's '77 Buick Regal, riding to elementary school in the mornings! She told me there was a "better version" of it from when she was in school. I didn't hear that until I saw Animal House!

Reactions: HookUNC75
@dadika I’m right with what you typed and added above, including/ especially the Genesis / Phil Collins solo stuff. Phil Collins solo stuff is some of my favorite - almost all great songs. I forgot Mike Rutherford of Mike and the Mechanics as a legit artist from Genesis too.

I get that Henley never had a #1 solo album but if you consider Building the Perfect Beast and to a little lesser extent End of the Innocence - I don’t know how these were not #1 at some point. Maybe has to do with song release timing? Both are immensely enjoyable beginning to end, each with 60-80% releasable single songs IMO.

I’d put these two albums (especially BTPB) in top 50 albums I’ve personally listened to, BTPB maybe in top 20. But I get that doesn’t have to align with commercial success necessarily
Shit man, I totally forgot about Rutherford also. Genesis may be #1 over The Beatles. That's crazy.

Cube wrote 2 incredible verses for this song (his and Dre’s). Hell he may have even wrote Easy’s also.

Cube’s verse is probably my favorite.

Cube's is great. But the DOC kicks it off in style. On that last listen, I'll go with his. But it could be different tomorrow.

Reactions: dadika13
Cube's is great. But the DOC kicks it off in style. On that last listen, I'll go with his. But it could be different tomorrow.
After some research, DOC wrote Dre's verse (which makes sense, he wrote a ton of his stuff). So I edit it to DOC wrote two incredible verses. Not sure if Ren or Cube wrote Easy's.

If I were being tortured by music, I think I would break faster to "All I Need is a Miracle."

A few others that come to mind would be "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now", "We Built This City" and "Take On Me." Those would make me stab my eardrums out.
giphy.gif

You're NOT serious, right??? We Built This City??? I guess someone had to like that shitty music for it to be so popular. I guess Cutting Crew is on your "Cool Tunes" play list.

I've never understood the affinity, appreciation, or general enthusiasm for 90% (roughly) of all 80s music. And, it really sucks because it was "My Generation." I just never identified with most of it. There were a few exceptions, and they were awesome. But... most of that Top 40 shit is just disgusting, even by top 40 metrics.

You never see Mike & The Mechanics tribute bands.

Eh I think @strummingram has a right good take about how Starship devolved to humiliating beclowning self degradation of a previously good (Jefferson Airplane) group. But is off base on Aha! and Mike and the Mechanics IMO.
That's the disgrace of it. I even like Jefferson Starship. I had "Freedom At Point Zero". I'm not terribly proud of that, but I liked "Jane" and "Find Your Way Back."

But, that shit that came out in 86-87??? It was putrid. Any song associated with "Mannequin"? It should be banned.

495.jpg

You're NOT serious, right??? We Built This City??? I guess someone had to like that shitty music for it to be so popular. I guess Cutting Crew is on your "Cool Tunes" play list.

I've never understood the affinity, appreciation, or general enthusiasm for 90% (roughly) of all 80s music. And, it really sucks because it was "My Generation." I just never identified with most of it. There were a few exceptions, and they were awesome. But... most of that Top 40 shit is just disgusting, even by top 40 metrics.

You never see Mike & The Mechanics tribute bands.
My gripe is on Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now which I consider to be a timeless 80s classic.

My gripe is on Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now which I consider to be a timeless 80s classic.
I can't help that. Keep in mind, there's no such thing as Time. So, timeless is even LESS than time, and is even less of a real thing.

I'd rather hear random yodeling or Polka music than that song... and most Top 40 songs from the 80s. I'd rather hear Slim-fvcking-Whitman's box set.

This, on a loop...

... is better than We Built This City. That song is irony made manifest! It ain't rock'n'roll and they didn't build it on anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
but I liked "Jane"
I also liked 'Miracles' from a previous album.

The single hit from Aha is one that I shouldn't like but I do and I don't care who laughs about it. The lead guy's vocal range is amazing, although of course I understand that by itself doesn't make a tune a good one.

I also liked 'Miracles' from a previous album.

The single hit from Aha is one that I shouldn't like but I do and I don't care who laughs about it. The lead guy's vocal range is amazing, although of course I understand that by itself doesn't make a tune a good one.
At least you think you shouldn't like it.

He has an incredible vocal range.

I can't help that. Keep in mind, there's no such thing as Time. So, timeless is even LESS than time, and is even less of a real thing.

I'd rather hear random yodeling or Polka music than that song... and most Top 40 songs from the 80s. I'd rather hear Slim-fvcking-Whitman's box set.

This, on a loop...

... is better than We Built This City. That song is irony made manifest! It ain't rock'n'roll and they didn't build it on anything.
now wait just a gol-dern miinute. Andy Kaufman wants a word or two with you...

Reactions: Heelicious

This just came on my playlist. I'll argue this is the first diss track in music history.

"too many people preaching practices"
"too many hungry people losing weight"
"that was your first mistake, you took your lucky break and broke it in two"

Obvious shots at Lennon and Yoko. I actually prefer this to How Do You Sleep, the song's response. This one is more tongue in cheek whereas Lennon just attacks McCartney in the response.

After some research, DOC wrote Dre's verse (which makes sense, he wrote a ton of his stuff). So I edit it to DOC wrote two incredible verses. Not sure if Ren or Cube wrote Easy's.

I was supposed to go see NWA, The DOC, Special Ed, DJ Quik at a show but got sick several days prior to the show. The DOC couldnt perform because of the accident but Ice T took his place at the show. I was sooooo disappointed because I never had another opportunity to see NWA again before there split.

My fav by DOC.

Thanks for that. I had forgotten about the "What A Wonderful World" cover. I used to hear that in my mom's '77 Buick Regal, riding to elementary school in the mornings! She told me there was a "better version" of it from when she was in school. I didn't hear that until I saw Animal House!
Your mom was right on point, @strummingram Sam Cooke did a much better version in either the late 1950’s or early 1960’s.

Reactions: strummingram
there are two opposing camps regarding Phil Collins. I'm in one of them.

My mom could yodel like crazy. She used to play this on 8 track when I was really young and she would yodel right along with him. Crazy sound, always got me to giggling when I listened to it.

Reactions: bluetoe
Great song. But you poasted a wack video. This one is better. I probably poasted it in this thread pages ago. So you get a #timestamps

This song was released in 1968. Kenny was 30 at the time.
depends on whether you want a history lesson or to enjoy the music. The live performance, while compelling, is mono and misses some of the nuances that make this tune musically interesting....especially with the intro. The intro is a grabber.

So far as you having posted it recently, I have problems remembering what I might have posted yesterday, let alone what you might have posted days ago.....so all I can say is oops. Just deal with it like I do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT