ADVERTISEMENT

What you listening to today?

In looking for the vid I posted, I had just read that JW had produced an album with Loretta Lynn, and I was curious what that might be like. Thanks for posting . Talk about different. That's a crazy ass video.

The guy is into anything and everything.

I have that Loretta Lynn album (Van Lear Rose) that he produced. The album is great but Jack only sings in the one song (maybe plays in another one or two) that I linked above and frankly, that song is one of my least favorite on the album.

Here are some better ones:

Reactions: bluetoe
I have that Loretta Lynn album (Van Lear Rose) that he produced. The album is great but Jack only sings in the one song (maybe plays in another one or two) that I linked above and frankly, that song is one of my least favorite on the album.

Here are some better ones:

this is borderline bizarre to me that LL would do this kind of album at whatever the hell her age must be, but these songs are really well done and a good listen. Good stuff.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
There is an incredible new performance venue here in Wilmington called live oak pavilion which is outdoor “bowl”on the river. Incredible views and acoustics with state of the art sound tech. I’ve seen several bands perform the latest was fri night- trey Anastasia who is the lead singer from phish with his own band. Chicago is coming up next week.

Reactions: Heelicious
There is an incredible new performance venue here in Wilmington called live oak pavilion which is outdoor “bowl”on the river. Incredible views and acoustics with state of the art sound tech. I’ve seen several bands perform the latest was fri night- trey Anastasia who is the lead singer from phish with his own band. Chicago is coming up next week.

Ha that's funny. They were playing a brand new venue here in Asheville last night. I went out for a run around downtown and decided to hangout for a bit outside the venue and caught a few tunes for free. The venue basically just a flat parking lot so the sound outside the venue was just as good as being on the lawn at a big amphitheater.

Not a huge Phish phan but Trey shreds.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
@strummingram i know you’re a stern fan, so wanted to remind you just in case that jagger is on the show today…first time ever.

i think it’s at 1pm…he moved his entire wednesday show time to interview him.

Reactions: strummingram
Oh, and woman rappers are a “no” for me. I mean, a select few are worthy of respect but overall, it just doesn’t work.

I think Tech is in the discussion of the greatest there ever was. But his songs are so hit or miss for me. I either love it or don’t like it at all.

Nice vid.
I think Tech's "problem" is he's been around so long and has put out so much music. Rap is weird like that. It seems like the only way you get respect is if you are young or dead. If you're older, you're ignored. Very few exceptions. You have to die to "get your roses" as the kids like to say. That's completely different than pretty much every other genre of music.
Oh, and woman rappers are a “no” for me. I mean, a select few are worthy of respect but overall, it just doesn’t work.
Eh, I disagree with that. The problem with women rappers are that the wrong ones usually get the promotion from the industry. Snow can rap circles around the women who are considered to be at the top right now. She's worth listening to. I'll try to post some of her stuff later. Two warnings though, she's bilingual (which means some songs could have Spanish mixed in) and she might try to take your woman.

Everybody loves 60s Dylan, including me. That's never in question. That was his heyday. But 80s Dylan is often overlooked. He put out some really solid albums in the 80s, my favorite being Infidels, which almost every song is a winner. But "Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight", "I and I" and "License To Kill" are just absolutely amazing jams. Empire Burlesque is also very good.

Slow Train Coming was released in 1979 but I'll include it in my love for 80s Dylan. And that album is up there as one of my absolute favorites of his. This was recently after his conversion to Christianity and the album spells that out quite clearly with "Precious Angel", "Gotta Serve Somebody" and "When He returns", all of which are just fantastic songs.

Everybody loves 60s Dylan, including me. That's never in question. That was his heyday. But 80s Dylan is often overlooked. He put out some really solid albums in the 80s, my favorite being Infidels, which almost every song is a winner. But "Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight", "I and I" and "License To Kill" are just absolutely amazing jams. Empire Burlesque is also very good.

Slow Train Coming was released in 1979 but I'll include it in my love for 80s Dylan. And that album is up there as one of my absolute favorites of his. This was recently after his conversion to Christianity and the album spells that out quite clearly with "Precious Angel", "Gotta Serve Somebody" and "When He returns", all of which are just fantastic songs.
put 'em up here then, I agree. Hope you don't think I was trying to upstage you. I was, but I don't want you to think that.

• Haha
put 'em up here then, I agree. Hope you don't think I was trying to upstage you. I was, but I don't want you to think that.

Well, I know I'm not the only Dylan fan alive. I do think I'm one of the biggest though and certainly one of the biggest Dylan fans under the age of 50. I started listening to him in 10th grade and was actually heckled by some of my friends for it. They were like, "who is this weird dude with the terrible, nasally singing voice who is obviously out of his mind or constantly tripping acid?" And at first, I couldn't refute their heckles. I'm not sure what drew me in, frankly. But I just kept getting more and more of his music.

Precious Angel is a top 5 Dylan song for me (I think, but he's soooo prolific that I can't be sure). My favorite verse is:

"Sister let me tell you,
about a vision that I saw.
You were drawing water for your husband,
you were suffering under the law.
You were telling him about Buddha,
you were telling him about Mohammad in one breath.
You never mentioned one time the man who came
and died a criminal's death."

I never learned how to play any instruments. It's one regret I have in life. Maybe the only one. But if I had a wish, I'd wish that I could learn to play piano for one day just to play this song. It moves me.

"How long can you falsify and deny what is real
How long can you hate yourself,
for the weakness you conceal?
Of every earthly plan,
that be known to man,
He is unconcerned.
He's got plans of his own,
to set up his throne,
when He returns.

Another 80s album of Dylan's is Oh Mercy. Not as good from start to finish as ones previously mentioned but still has some great songs.

Here is another 80s Dylan song that ranks in my top 5 of Dylan songs. It's a song paying homage to Dylan's hero Woody Guthrie, who had a song called Danville Girl.

Dylan's legendary story telling is on full display here.

I never learned how to play any instruments. It's one regret I have in life. Maybe the only one. But if I had a wish, I'd wish that I could learn to play piano for one day just to play this song. It moves me.

"How long can you falsify and deny what is real
How long can you hate yourself,
for the weakness you conceal?
Of every earthly plan,
that be known to man,
He is unconcerned.
He's got plans of his own,
to set up his throne,
when He returns.

damn dude, remind me to take the cattle prod to you again. This is all good stuff.

I share the sentiment about learning an instrument. When I was a kid, some guy came door-to-door selling accordion lessons. To my surprise, my dad was actually enthusiastic about it and he and my mom tried to talk me into taking them. But I turned my nose up at learning to play some corny old accordion. Now I'd give my left gonad if I had jumped on the deal because there weren't many second chances at our house.

I tried guitar some years ago, and I just couldn't get comfortable. Lucky for me, listening to music is a decent substitute. I'm more about the sound and the beat than the lyrics, but when you come across a really well written tune, the music is just an extra added attraction. So many people don't like Bruce Springsteen because he sings kind of like a goat sometimes, but to me that actually complements the lyrics.

Those above are inspirational poetry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT