ADVERTISEMENT

Why was Rece Davis so pro Cuse last night?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Let’s be perfectly clear here Rece Davis will never ever be as skilled behind the mike as a Jay Bilas but last night was a poor effort and a poor excuse for the way he called the contest.

Debbie Antoneli was not much better doing the color for the game but Rece Davis’s obvious bias for the Cuse was unacceptable.

I am sure everyone noticed how his voice showed excitement and enthusiasm when the Orange 🍊 made their run to get back into the game and when Girard hit a go ahead three late I thought he was coming unglued. He sure got quiet moments later when that same Girard a senior made that BONEHEAD assist to Nance for the game winner.

Some of you might remember when Billy Packer worked Carolina games and as great as he was as a Wake Forest guard his disdain for Carolina was also very obvious It was so bad that none of the UNC players after the Tar Heels had beat Georgetown wanted to be interviewed by him or answer any of his postgame questions.,Rece Davis did his best Billy Packer last night for some reason…

I wonder if any of you watching the contest last night also noticed the slobber mess so heavily favoring Syracuse…

It was ridiculous... I don't remember hearing anything that bad since Thacker and Packer back in the late 70's. I haven't really been a fan of Reece doing play by play, but he seems especially slanted in the his calls of the Heels' games.

Let’s be perfectly clear here Rece Davis will never ever be as skilled behind the mike as a Jay Bilas but last night was a poor effort and a poor excuse for the way he called the contest.

Debbie Antoneli was not much better doing the color for the game but Rece Davis’s obvious bias for the Cuse was unacceptable.

I am sure everyone noticed how his voice showed excitement and enthusiasm when the Orange 🍊 made their run to get back into the game and when Girard hit a go ahead three late I thought he was coming unglued. He sure got quiet moments later when that same Girard a senior made that BONEHEAD assist to Nance for the game winner.

Some of you might remember when Billy Packer worked Carolina games and as great as he was as a Wake Forest guard his disdain for Carolina was also very obvious It was so bad that none of the UNC players after the Tar Heels had beat Georgetown wanted to be interviewed by him or answer any of his postgame questions.,Rece Davis did his best Billy Packer last night for some reason…

I wonder if any of you watching the contest last night also noticed the slobber mess so heavily favoring Syracuse…
Becasue he is a tool bag.

I actually thought they were just caught up with the crowd. Refs do it too. Doesn’t make it easy to listen to, but he’s a good guy as far as I know.
Understood, but the announcers are supposed to be disciplined professionals. Their assignment is to lend a little color depth to the game and lead the viewer through the actions. Jim Nance was good (I thought), Bilas is good (I know), Vital and Walton.(no one is quite sure)

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Understood, but the announcers are supposed to be disciplined professionals. Their assignment is to lend a little color depth to the game and lead the viewer through the actions. Jim Nance was good (I thought), Bilas is good (I know), Vital and Walton.(no one is quite sure)
I love listening to Dick Vitale and Bill Walton. To me, they are entertaining the entire time. Walton trails-off on granola endeavors and I laugh my ass off. Vitale and Walton both LOVE basketball with every fiber of themselves. Vitale also loves PEOPLE, which isn't the most common trait these days!

I understand, but I also know when you are in the largest ncaa arena that crowd can be persuasive.

I just watched most of the game again and I totally agree with you reece mostly does football and does a good job, got very animated and both announcers seemed to pull for Syracuse and accused the heels of fouling before a foul on Syracuse , certainly one way announcing when there suppose to be neutral.

Jay bias by far to me is the best commentator,and can be very fair when looking at both teams even duke. I know some dont agree. Last year when there were questions on whether we should even be in the dance he quash that by saying no way should we be left out. At least we didn't have Vital, or Doris Burke!

Apparently, when those 2 announcers did their best to make the viewing audience believe that the call on Mintz was questionable at best, Mark Titus had the perfect response....

" Yes, I remember growing up and putting the barrels out on the driveway and practicing my weave through them full speed and drive into the chest of my opponent while throwing him an elbow to the face move"

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed. It was nauseating.

Apparently, when those 2 announcers did their best to make the viewing audience believe that the call on Mintz was questionable at best, Mark Titus had the perfect response....

" Yes, I remember growing up and putting the barrels out on the driveway and practicing my weave through them full speed and drive into the chest of my opponent while throwing him an elbow to the face move"

I love listening to Dick Vitale and Bill Walton. To me, they are entertaining the entire time. Walton trails-off on granola endeavors and I laugh my ass off. Vitale and Walton both LOVE basketball with every fiber of themselves. Vitale also loves PEOPLE, which isn't the most common trait these days!
Those two don't have a clue what there doing , with walton it's all that weed he bas smoked all his life,with vital its how's long he has had his head up coach ks.butt

Those two don't have a clue what there doing , with walton it's all that weed he bas smoked all his life,with vital its how's long he has had his head up coach ks.butt
What they're doing, not there. Literacy is your friend. Stupid is as stupid does.

Reactions: GACMAN
I LOVE Bill Walton because you NEVER know what is gonna come out of his mouth...I hate the PAC 12 but will watch when he is calling a game. I used to like Dickie V but its the same old thing every time. I hate to say this but it is time that he retires full time...go finish out his life playing golf and hoops at the retirement community in Florida!

Those two morons tried their best to rob UNC fans of any enjoyment! They clearly celebrated everything positive for Cuse and thought every call UNC got was wrong! They came out of their seats during the comeback, and they tried to lobby for the block when that punk smashed RJ in the face for the second time! I hope I never hear them call another UNC game! I love both Walton and Vitale. I could listen to either one all day long!

My main problem with Vitale and Walton is that they don't pause their unrelated-to-the-game-or-even-to-basketball-in-general stories when a good play is made.

I'm sitting there thinking "wow, what a great play" and they're still talking about someone's grandmother they met while at a country fair in Nebraska, like there's a time out or something.

announcers are supposed to be disciplined professionals.
Sports announcers are second only to hip-hop as destroyers of the English language - both word choices and especially pronunciation. Hip-hop has the excuse that it's supposed to be creative, so those guys and gals get a pass. There's no excuse for sports announcers.

Not to say they are all bad. Clearly not the case. But so many bastardizations seem traceable to sports announcers.

Debbie Antonelli is a former NC State basketball player.
Sounded more like she was part owner of that TV commercial cheese shop. Her commentary at times was borderline dumb... like I'd actually say "no shit" out loud to what she'd said. I know I'm more sensitive to it being a lifelong Heel but i can always pick up on when the play by play is pulling in one direction and I definitely heard the excitement in Rece's voice late on for Syracuse. Annoying, but just as satisfying if not more that the team he clearly was pulling for lost.

If it's any consolation, I saw a THT article that showed Rece Davis was getting lambasted on Twitter... hard! I'm willing to bet that he actually requests to never call another UNC game.

• Haha
What they're doing, not there. Literacy is your friend. Stupid is as stupid does.
Cute , I don't consider myself stupid just old, tough crowd on this board, I was simply stating my opinion on how I feel about Walton and vitale calling a heels game , lots of people on here make mistakes we are not perfect sorry if I ticked you off!

I would love to listen to the radio or streamed calls as well, but my lack of tech savvy has me wary of all the apps that claim to synch them up! Can you give me advice including the full name of an app that will do it without stealing my soul (ID) or having too many ads?

I always cut the sound down and listen to the Tarheel radio network. Been doing this for 54 years.
That'd be great.... did that all my life until the past decade or so where the picture is now 3+ seconds behind especially on streaming based TV. When I was a kid it was behind too but only by a fraction of a second making Woody's call extra special like he just knew a shot was going in.

Geth, l love your Rathskeller avatar. Memories…….
Yep yep. Literally went there almost every weekend with my then girlfriend now wife (hitting 50 this year... been with her steady since before we were both 18). Went there with my dad alot as a kid to when we'd trek to the Hill on game days. Walking past it now it's a Gizmo brew pub.... times have changed, so much so just last week we were on campus for a college tour for my son. Getting old... oh well.

Get the varsity App and it will synchronize the radio with the TV broadcast.
I've not tried that one; I use the GoHeels app. I have YouTubeTV, which fortunately for me is usually about 5 seconds ahead of the audio from the app. So I just pause the TV for a few seconds and get them synced up. I rarely listen to the TV announcers anymore unless its Durham and Bonner. I like listening to Wes for obvious reasons, but also Dan Bonner makes it feel like ACC basketball (in the way Packer & Thacker did back in the day).

Yep yep. Literally went there almost every weekend with my then girlfriend now wife (hitting 50 this year... been with her steady since before we were both 18). Went there with my dad alot as a kid to when we'd trek to the Hill on game days. Walking past it now it's a Gizmo brew pub.... times have changed, so much so just last week we were on campus for a college tour for my son. Getting old... oh well.
Only attended UNC one year(1971]. Had to drop out and join the Navy in order to finish college(UNC-G) . Loved that place! Many great memories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT