ADVERTISEMENT

Will politics in sports drive you away from the game?

I was not born until 1970 so I have no clue how it all went down when Scott was playing at Carolina. Based on what I have read I understand it was controversial but dont believe he was brought to Carolina to make a political point. Kneeling is to make a political point. In my opinion there is a difference.

I don't think it was solely to make a political point because Scott was a really good player. But the fact he was recruited, given a scholarship and became a valuable member of the team was most certainly a statement against racial intolerance.

Reactions: uncfootball-
That was when all of the fraternities were segregated. They still played Dixie before a lot of the games. I wasn't alive either, but if you read, or watch (I think ESPN had a segment on it a number of years ago) some of Scott's interviews, it was a very different time. Honestly, I'm not sure if there's a modern day comparison for what Dean did back in the 60s.

i simply won't watch any game on tv or live where the athletes have no respect for our national anthem. yes, they have a right to protest america by not kneeling, and i have a right to protest them by not watching.

Personally, I feel like there's probably a better or less divisive medium to bring awareness to the issue, than kneeling during the national anthem. But I'm not going to let it ruin sports for me.

Last edited:
Personally, I feel like there's probably a better or less divisive medium to bring awareness to the issue, than kneeling during the national anthem. But I'm not going to let it ruin college sports for me.

I feel there is a better way as well. I'd vote for there is be an announcement AFTER the National Anthem something like this: "Ladies and Gentlemen at this time we would like to have a moment of silence to remember the fight against racial injustice" or something to that effect. Just seems that might be less divisive. I would not be thrilled with that approach because it's still political but willing to compromise because that it's sort of a meet in the middle deal.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I don't want to get into any debate about ANY particular political topic, just asking if a protest before/during the game would cause you to lose interest in watching. For me I have always watched sports to get away from "stuff".. when I say stuff... thinking about work, bills I owe, who is sick in the family as examples. It's like getting away from life for a little while.

Protest what and why?

I feel there is a better way as well. I'd vote for there is be an announcement AFTER the National Anthem something like this: "Ladies and Gentlemen at this time we would like to have a moment of silence to remember the fight against racial injustice" or something to that effect. Just seems that might be less divisive. I would not be thrilled with that approach because it's still political but willing to compromise because that it's sort of a meet in the middle deal.
I thought you were talking about things players are doing. Like Sam Howell walking out of the tunnel backwards as a symbol supporting a movement that tortures puppies. This would irk me, but i'd still watch and pull for the heels. I'd pull for Jace Ruder or any other backup qb a bunch more.

But are you talking about something the whole organization does, like UNC or NCAA or NFL?

I thought you were talking about things players are doing. Like Sam Howell walking out of the tunnel backwards as a symbol supporting a movement that tortures puppies. This would irk me, but i'd still watch and pull for the heels. I'd pull for Jace Ruder or any other backup qb a bunch more.

But are you talking about something the whole organization does, like UNC or NCAA or NFL?

I dont want to see any political messages before or during the game. I just want to watch the game without someone trying to protest something. I turned 50 this year, if a law was passed that 50 and over could NOT vote I still would not want to see a protest about voting at a sporting event.

To answer your question then:
If any "political messages" are allowed by the coaches/University, I may attend games, but my money, and I'm not talking about the price of tickets, will stay in my pocket or find another home.

To answer your question then:
If any "political messages" are allowed by the coaches/University, I may attend games, but my money, and I'm not talking about the price of tickets, will stay in my pocket or find another home.

I understand your position and thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Politics won't, but the money issues going on with MLB players and owners may drop baseball down my favorite sports list

Politics won't, but the money issues going on with MLB players and owners may drop baseball down my favorite sports list

I dont claim to be smart.. most would say Im dumb.. but to me you take the players salary he was supposed to get in 2020, divide that by 162 for the games he would have played and pay them that amount per game this season. Agree on a bonus for playoff games, bonus for winning the World Series. Seems simple but Im sure there is a reason this will not work.

Reactions: MWHeels
I dont claim to be smart.. most would say Im dumb.. but to me you take the players salary he was supposed to get in 2020, divide that by 162 for the games he would have played and pay them that amount per game this season. Agree on a bonus for playoff games, bonus for winning the World Series. Seems simple but Im sure there is a reason this will not work.
That sounds too logical to be accepted...

With the direction things are going it is only a matter of time before folks come after the nickname Tar Heels. Anything that can possible offend someone will be changed. Laugh if you want but it will happen.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I dont want to see any political messages before or during the game. I just want to watch the game without someone trying to protest something. I turned 50 this year, if a law was passed that 50 and over could NOT vote I still would not want to see a protest about voting at a sporting event.

BTW, if a player, in uniform, attempted to deliver a political message "on his/her own", I believe he/she should be removed from what ever team they are on and have their scholarship revoked.
What they do on their own time, not as a representative of the University, is their own business as long as it is legal.

yeah, that's why they'll probably try to change the name. funny, all those great black athletes who were proud of being tar heels didn't realize they were supporting racism. by the way, george washington owned more slaves than robert e. lee so we should change the capital and tear down that monument.

I know you are joking about change the Capital and tear down monuments but there are some that want that. I know things in the past were very wrong, some things happening today are very wrong.. but if you change everything that offends someone you will be changing everything several times a day. Saw that Nascar banned the confederate flag from race tracks. Seems every sport now is trying to get in on the movement.

....if you change everything that offends someone you will be changing everything several times a day.....
we're pretty far down that road already don't you think? where will it stop? the american flag was flown by u.s. cavalry forces who annihilated a vast population of native indians to grab their land. genocide!

we're pretty far down that road already don't you think? where will it stop? the american flag was flown by u.s. cavalry forces who annihilated a vast population of native indians to grab their land. genocide!

Still weird to me how all of a sudden this has flowed into sports.

I saw that Clemson trustees voted to change the name of something on campus because former players were complaining about it.

I saw that Clemson trustees voted to change the name of something on campus because former players were complaining about it.

They changed the name of the honors college. It was formerly named after John C Calhoun, who was a strong defender of slavery. A lot more people than a few former players had been complaining about it.

When you start tearing down statues of "offensive people", renaming streets, buildings, etc... named for these "offensive people" or their "beliefs", you open a Pandora's Box. The problem becomes who determines what is "offensive", and just where do we draw the line? If we're not careful, anarchists will incite us to tear down our country, and revel in the ensuing chaos.

As Shakespeare said, "Therein lies the rub."

When you start tearing down statues of "offensive people", renaming streets, buildings, etc... named for these "offensive people" or their "beliefs", you open a Pandora's Box. The problem becomes who determines what is "offensive", and just where do we draw the line? If we're not careful, anarchists will incite us to tear down our country, and revel in the ensuing chaos.

As Shakespeare said, "Therein lies the rub."

As far as sports it will come to a point where there is no nickname. Will be North Carolina vs Clemson.. Tar Heels and Tigers will not be listed. Imagine how many counties, High Schools and roads are named after Confederate Soldiers in North Carolina. Then you have Coca Cola.. will they stop selling Coke Products at games?

As far as sports it will come to a point where there is no nickname. Will be North Carolina vs Clemson.. Tar Heels and Tigers will not be listed. Imagine how many counties, High Schools and roads are named after Confederate Soldiers in North Carolina. Then you have Coca Cola.. will they stop selling Coke Products at games?
Wait a minute there buddy. Carolina is from the latin word for King Charles I of England who made the original land grant in 1629, "Carolus". An oppressive king who held millions in subjectivity, we certainly can't allow our university or our state to be named after a despot, right? A man who lived in splendor when his subjects largely lived in poverty? We can't have that, can we?

As I said, where do we draw the line?

Wait a minute there buddy. Carolina is from the latin word for King Charles I of England who made the original land grant in 1629, "Carolus". An oppressive king who held millions in subjectivity, we certainly can't allow our university or our state to be named after a despot, right? A man who lived in splendor when his subjects largely lived in poverty? We can't have that, can we?

As I said, where do we draw the line?

How about we go with The Blue team vs The Orange Team?

Politics need to be far, far away from sports. Have we forgotten so soon the lessons that the NFL learned ??People, like myself, work like dogs most days of the week, and want to relax, patronize and enjoy sports, and only sports, on our free time. On the days leading up to a weekend game, if the students want to peacefully demonstrate and express their political opinions on campus, then fine. That is the time honored tradition. Do students have the right to take a knee and protest before and during the game ? Yes, but I have the right to not patronize the game, the sport, the university.

Yes, quite frankly, I am sick of it. We were taught to keep your politics to your self, and I think that has been lost....BIG TIME. So divisive and if you don't agree with someone, well you can hang it up. We have lost the art of conversation and disagreeing cordially.

No way it drives me away from sports. If your a sports junky then your a sports junky. Once the game starts, nobody is making a political stand! I fear the ones that it bothers are from the "Shut up and dribble" crowd.

I don't get my religion at the club, and I don't get my politics from athletes (I do support the movement however). Again once the boys start hitting, nobody will care.

No way it drives me away from sports. If your a sports junky then your a sports junky. Once the game starts, nobody is making a political stand! I fear the ones that it bothers are from the "Shut up and dribble" crowd.

I don't get my religion at the club, and I don't get my politics from athletes (I do support the movement however). Again once the boys start hitting, nobody will care.

You are entitled to your opinion on how you view politics and sports mixing but to say once they start hitting that no one will care is inaccurate.

Yep the Brees case is a perfect illustration of the DEMAND that all adhere to THEIR point of view and if you do NOT, then all hell will rain down on you!! How DARE Drew say or even think what he said about the Anthem.
We will all be treated to a continued bout of kneeling for the anthem as a sign of protest The NFL NBa are slowly losing me and many others who long for the days of watching FOOTBALL or basketball without these left wing political views shoved in our faces by players who have no idea how truly lucky they are.

How lucky there are to have a skill set that they have to bust their azz to maintain, get criticize for constantly good or bad, that forces them to take crap off fans that couldn't take a leak in the same bucket, that makes their owner BILLIONS of $$$$ and yet you think because they play sports they don't have the right to voice their opinions. Or is it just you don't think the ones with opinions different from yours have the right to shove it in your face. Maybe we should return to the days when all black athletes were going to HBCUs and had minimum presence in pro sports. Lets make no mistake about it we all know what left wing political views really mean.

How lucky there are to have a skill set that they have to bust their azz to maintain, get criticize for constantly good or bad, that forces them to take crap off fans that couldn't take a leak in the same bucket, that makes their owner BILLIONS of $$$$ and yet you think because they play sports they don't have the right to voice their opinions. Or is it just you don't think the ones with opinions different from yours have the right to shove it in your face. Maybe we should return to the days when all black athletes were going to HBCUs and had minimum presence in pro sports. Lets make no mistake about it we all know what left wing political views really mean.

Well I said earlier that I was dumb so how about you explain what left wing political views really means. I would like to be educated on the subject.

I could see it getting to the point where the political stances taken do have a harmful effect on sports. I saw yesterday that the players at Texas are making demands on changes they must see at Texas. No threat of what they are going to do if they don't get their way, but demands nonetheless. You have a player at Okie St. going off on Twitter because his coach was pictured wearing a t-shirt on a fishing trip of some cable news network that apparently isn't his favorite. Really? Have we suddenly been so locked up by the PC police that we are taking directions on everything we do from teenagers? The world has turned upside down folks.

I could see it getting to the point where the political stances taken do have a harmful effect on sports. I saw yesterday that the players at Texas are making demands on changes they must see at Texas. No threat of what they are going to do if they don't get their way, but demands nonetheless. You have a player at Okie St. going off on Twitter because his coach was pictured wearing a t-shirt on a fishing trip of some cable news network that apparently isn't his favorite. Really? Have we suddenly been so locked up by the PC police that we are taking directions on everything we do from teenagers? The world has turned upside down folks.

I read a little about that Oklahoma State situation. To me it seems that some people just look a reason to be offended. Those same people would look at my last comment and declare that I am the problem. It's just a matter of time before I drop my yearly contribution to the University. It's a very small amount in the whole scope of things which is fine as well. Maybe I can spend more time playing golf on fall weekends.

OAN network said Black Lives Matters is a farce. So him wearing that shirt is kinda like wearing a shirt that says BLM is a farce, isn't it?

So I understand why any player wouldb pissed off to see their chosen leader/coach representing that shirt. But it is pretty insane how this was handled.

OAN network said Black Lives Matters is a farce. So him wearing that shirt is kinda like wearing a shirt that says BLM is a farce, isn't it?

So I understand why any player wouldb pissed off to see their chosen leader/coach representing that shirt. But it is pretty insane how this was handled.
Well, they are sort of a farce, aren’t they? The only black lives they seem to care about are the ones taken by LEO’s, which represents less than one percent of black homicides annually. They don’t appear to give a damn about the other 99%. Dozens of black Americans are killed every week in cities like Chicago, Baltimore, etc... But those lives don’t seem to matter. Why? Because over 90% of those lives are taken by other black Americans, so it doesn’t fit their agenda. Maybe their acronym should be CBLM, Certain Black Lives Matter.

According to the Washington Post, a very liberal paper, over twice as many white Americans were killed by LEO’s in 2019 as black Americans. So the idea that LEO’s are intentionally waging a vendetta to kill black Americans is nonsense. In fact, a LEO is 18.5 times as likely to be killed by a black person than vice versa.

When BLM starts protesting the largely black on black homicidal tidal wave in the United States, I’ll have more respect for them. But their very selective outrage is hypocritical at best.

Look, we all agree that there are bad LEO’s out there. We need reform. But those bad LEO’s represent a small minority of the total number of LEO’s. So let’s not blow these isolated incidents out of proportion. You are many times more likely to be murdered by a person that is not a policeman than one that is. Many, many, many times.

So yes, by all means let’s reform our law enforcement system. But let’s address the underlying issue that is much more prevalent, that of homicides in general. Addressing that will save many, many more lives in general, but black lives in particular.

All lives matter, that includes all black lives, not just a select few.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT