ADVERTISEMENT

Will politics in sports drive you away from the game?

a cop is an armed individual with a high stress, dangerous occupation, and it's low pay so some of them are not ph.d. candidates. i taught my kids never resist arrest or even argue with a cop. escalating the situation, fist fighting, grabbing for their weapon or trying to incapacitate a cop is suicide. you want a fair fight try marital arts.

I agree. If Mr. Brooks hadn't resisted arrest(after drinking so much that he fell asleep in a Wendy's drive-thru and failed a field sobriety test), he would very likely be alive right now. He made some very dumb decisions. He was driving drunk, putting innocent peoples' lives at stake, and then compounded his error by resisting arrest, attacking the cops, then taking one of their tasers.

I hate that he was killed, but bad decisions lead to bad consequences. No, I don't think the officer should have shot him as he was running away. But Mr. Brooks' decisions led directly to his death. Much of the responsibility for his death lies with him.

OAN network said Black Lives Matters is a farce. So him wearing that shirt is kinda like wearing a shirt that says BLM is a farce, isn't it?

So I understand why any player wouldb pissed off to see their chosen leader/coach representing that shirt. But it is pretty insane how this was handled.

Yes.. the BLM organization is a farce.. they raise money and part of that money is donated to the democratic party. A lot of the cities run by democrats have the highest death numbers for the ones they claim to want to help. The organization is seen chanting they want dead cops.. you think that is a legitimate group?

I truly believe the average person that supports BLM is unaware of how corrupt the organization really is.

I agree. If Mr. Brooks hadn't resisted arrest(after drinking so much that he fell asleep in a Wendy's drive-thru and failed a field sobriety test), he would very likely be alive right now. He made some very dumb decisions. He was driving drunk, putting innocent peoples' lives at stake, and then compounded his error by resisting arrest, attacking the cops, then taking one of their tasers.

I hate that he was killed, but bad decisions lead to bad consequences. No, I don't think the officer should have shot him as he was running away. But Mr. Brooks' decisions led directly to his death. Much of the responsibility for his death lies with him.

I disagree with the part about the cop not shooting him. I feel he had a right to take the shot.. but it's fine to have different opinions.

Now on a sports story.. I read that Virginia changed their logo to separate themselves from slavery. I looked and have no clue what was changed.

Mods, it was inevitable that this thread would become something that belongs on OOTB. I'm one of the ones who's guilty. Perhaps it's time to lock it up or move it.

Well Im trying to steer it back to the politics in sports..lol The Virginia story for example.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I just noticed that little video playing.. one part says this "Choo Choo Justice: World War II Navy Phenom, Part 1" next thing you will see is that Choo Choo statue coming down.

edit to add: little video playing on this site to the side of the screen

How lucky there are to have a skill set that they have to bust their azz to maintain, get criticize for constantly good or bad, that forces them to take crap off fans that couldn't take a leak in the same bucket, that makes their owner BILLIONS of $$$$ and yet you think because they play sports they don't have the right to voice their opinions. Or is it just you don't think the ones with opinions different from yours have the right to shove it in your face. Maybe we should return to the days when all black athletes were going to HBCUs and had minimum presence in pro sports. Lets make no mistake about it we all know what left wing political views really mean.

Make their owners billions. And those same owners must have been pretty sharp to amass the cash to own a pro sports franchise to begin with. So it isnt like these players suddenly made them rich. Meanwhile many of these players you speak of do have a special skill set. A skill set that enables them to be millionaires. Stay in five star hotels when on the road, and are treated like kings. And they happen to be lucky enough to live in about the only country on earth where that would be possible. Tell them to take their NFL skills and fly off to whatever utopia may be out there. Suddenly those superior football skills mean nothing.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Mods, it was inevitable that this thread would become something that belongs on OOTB. I'm one of the ones who's guilty. Perhaps it's time to lock it up or move it.
I think we can redirect to sports instead of moving it. I think it was a good thread idea and is an interesting topic for this board.

I disagree with the part about the cop not shooting him. I feel he had a right to take the shot.. but it's fine to have different opinions.

I don't have to explain to you what it mean because I have no doubt you know what it mean. Your comments tell me all I need to know about you. I have no doubt that you are who I think you are. So you have a good day.

I think we can redirect to sports instead of moving it. I think it was a good thread idea and is an interesting topic for this board.

I'd like to stay on topic on how politics is affecting sports rather than a particular political policy. I ventured off a few posts ago but I tried to post facts I have gathered in doing research rather than my opinion. Getting into opinions(about politics) is were the thread gets crummy. I apologize if that post was not appropriate.

in the media it's being argued that the USA is a racist nation. if that's true then i can understand athletes disrespecting the flag. but the argument would be stronger if they focused on law abiding, hard working blacks who were denied opportunities consistent with their qualifications. now, they're mostly basing it on black men with criminal records who resist arrest and threaten the safety of cops. the USA isn't perfect, but i still believe it's worthy of respect, so i'm not ok with athletes disrespecting the star spangled banner.

I don't have to explain to you what it mean because I have no doubt you know what it mean. Your comments tell me all I need to know about you. I have no doubt that you are who I think you are. So you have a good day.

Doing your best Dennis Green impersonation?

Reactions: tarheel0910
Make their owners billions. And those same owners must have been pretty sharp to amass the cash to own a pro sports franchise to begin with. So it isnt like these players suddenly made them rich. Meanwhile many of these players you speak of do have a special skill set. A skill set that enables them to be millionaires. Stay in five star hotels when on the road, and are treated like kings. And they happen to be lucky enough to live in about the only country on earth where that would be possible. Tell them to take their NFL skills and fly off to whatever utopia may be out there. Suddenly those superior football skills mean nothing.

Never said they made them rich. Said they make them billions. And btw this isn't the only country that millionaires out of athletes. You do pose an interesting thought....It would be great if all those athletes decided to venture out on their own and created a player's owned league and left the NFL totally. Then they could even more from the BILLIONS being created because they would be the on game in town. Suddenly those superior football skills would mean even more.

Never said they made them rich. Said they make them billions. And btw this isn't the only country that millionaires out of athletes. You do pose an interesting thought....It would be great if all those athletes decided to venture out on their own and created a player's owned league and left the NFL totally. Then they could even more from the BILLIONS being created because they would be the on game in town. Suddenly those superior football skills would mean even more.
It’s not that simple. For any who wish to try, I challenge them to do so.

I'm not going to link it or copy it here because it was published by the N&O. John Shoop was an OC at UNC under Butch Davis. He and his wife wrote a piece about UNC athletics and racial inequality.

10-4.. I havent read the N&O in forever. I knew that Shoop was the OC.. didnt know it was that Shoop that wrote the article. Was this recently in the N&O or something from a while back that is now getting traction?

EDIT to add.. I googled it and saw it was 3 days ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
No, sorry. Somewhat related, after Shoop's op-ed. You're going to start to see some buildings around campus being renamed.

If any person (regardless of his/her past) ponied up large dollars to have his/her name on a building and the University agreed and accepted the money, then at a later date the University decided to take the name off, that person should be asking for the money back with interest. And if that donation was made and the naming took place 100 years ago and the contributor was deceased, the surviving family members should be demanding the same refund.

If ... at a later date the University decided to take the name off, that person should be asking for the money back with interest....
it depends on how the contract was worded when the grant was formalized. if it said "in perpetuity" then it's a breech of contract. if it said "the university will have the right to change the name again after x number of years" tough luck. by the way, george washington was a slave owner so logic requires the city and state names be changed (and the monument torn down).

Unfortunately there is a long list of Confederate soldiers with the first name of Mack and a long list with the last name Brown.

There were 287 Tar Heel students and Faculty that gave up their lives fighting for their country that used to be memorialized in McCorkle Place.

I do hope the NCAA/ACC/Carolina make a decision soon regarding protests at games. That way I can make adjustments accordingly.
definitely! if the players are going to disrespect the flag i hope they'll let me know in advance. i don't view our flag as a symbol of racism and i don't wish to see it denigrated. if the players want to do it that's their right, but it's my right not watch it.

an interesting twist to this story is the new opportunity for athletes to make money on their name and image. generally speaking, companies don't like controversy in their advertising campaigns. so they may shy away from players who diss the flag. even if a corporation has anti-flag customers for their product, it's still something to consider as there will be other marketable athletes who don't bring the controversy. if a player's anti-flag gesture is that deeply felt maybe he'll be glad to take the financial hit. we live in interesting times.

an interesting twist to this story is the new opportunity for athletes to make money on their name and image. generally speaking, companies don't like controversy in their advertising campaigns. so they may shy away from players who diss the flag. even if a corporation has anti-flag customers for their product, it's still something to consider as there will be other marketable athletes who don't bring the controversy. if a player's anti-flag gesture is that deeply felt maybe he'll be glad to take the financial hit. we live in interesting times.

That is a good point. A company may avoid a superstar that could be controversial and go with someone less political.

I read a debate on changing the names of roads and buildings. So I started thinking.. just suppose there are 100 people that are racist at Lee County High School. For the sake of discussion they change the name to a tree.. lets just say a maple. So now at Maple High School there are 100 people that are racist. What did the name change accomplish?

I read the NBA may allow a social justice message on jerseys but still not allow the players to kneel. That is interesting, I know Lebron has been a supporter of NFL players kneeling. I wonder how NBA fans would react to this proposal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT