ADVERTISEMENT

Will we beat UGA?

Will Carolina beat UGA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know UNC has some good RBs, but that is a position they do not have an edge. Chubb didn't tear an ACL, it was the PCL, recover time is much less and he is close to being back now, running and cutting at full speed. Not a team in the country who has a better pair of RBs than UGA with Chubb and Michel. UNC certainly has an edge at qb over Lambert and Eason because of experience or lack of. I really don't know where you see an edge over scheme when you have zero idea what we are going to be doing. Can you tell me what scheme we are going to run on offense, no one outside of the athletic department knows. Chaney has proven to be varied in his schemes, running a different scheme at UT he ran a passing offense, at Arkansas he ran a run based offense and at Pitt he ran a balanced attack. That's speculation on your part. One thing I am sure of, he will have a collection of offensive talent to work we like he has never had before.

With UGA have a new kicker who hasn't kicked in a game, and an average punter I don't see how its a toss up, our returners could be better but UNC's punter/kicker would have to have the edge.

Our back 4 returns tons of experience, everyone who took a snap returns, one starter has been overtaken. OLB are elite athletes, great at rushing the passer, and in space, but depending one who is in, can be liability against the run, ILB, one starter has been overtaken the other graduated, the 2 new ones both have starting experience. DL is very young, at least 3 frosh will be in the 2 deep rotation and a concern. But defense will be very fast, but will likely not be good against the run and our qb completed passes all over the field in the spring game, nearly 600 yards worth. Won't surprise me to see alot of points scored, I don't think 30 will win it. I believe you are underestimating our offense talent because of how bad our OC was last year and overestimating our defense, which has potential to be very good, but very young up front.

No doubt that Chubb and Michel are great RB's, but Elijah Hood and TJ Logan combo are better than just "some good RB's". Logan is also a very good receiving RB. Then we throw in Khris Francis and Ty'son Williams for good measure. Then try to stop Ryan Switzer, Mack Hollins, Bug Howard, etc. at WR. Mitch Trubisky is a very talented QB. Mister football out of Ohio. A lot of UNC fans think is better than Marquise WIlliams in accuracy and game management (myself included) UNC offensive scheme is proven and has shown it can put up 30+ points on even the best defenses (Clemson =37, Dook = 66, VT = 30, Pitt = 26). UNC can score often and score fast. That is the mantra of the Fedora Offense.

UGA has no proven offense (yet), very shaky QB, and new scheme in first game. That screams possible mistakes, miscues, false starts, etc.. Talent cannot overcome new schemes all the time. We have seen this before (our first game last year).

I gave kicking game a push, but if you kick it to Switzer, watch out.

UNC D could not stop the run last year and I do not see much changing this year on that front. Unless Gene Chizik preforms more magic in his second year here.

No doubt that Chubb and Michel are great RB's, but Elijah Hood and TJ Logan combo are better than just "some good RB's". Logan is also a very good receiving RB. Then we throw in Khris Francis and Ty'son Williams for good measure. Then try to stop Ryan Switzer, Mack Hollins, Bug Howard, etc. at WR. Mitch Trubisky is a very talented QB. Mister football out of Ohio. A lot of UNC fans think is better than Marquise WIlliams in accuracy and game management (myself included) UNC offensive scheme is proven and has shown it can put up 30+ points on even the best defenses (Clemson =37, Dook = 66, VT = 30, Pitt = 26). UNC can score often and score fast. That is the mantra of the Fedora Offense.

UGA has no proven offense (yet), very shaky QB, and new scheme in first game. That screams possible mistakes, miscues, false starts, etc.. Talent cannot overcome new schemes all the time. We have seen this before (our first game last year).

I gave kicking game a push, but if you kick it to Switzer, watch out.

UNC D could not stop the run last year and I do not see much changing this year on that front. Unless Gene Chizik preforms more magic in his second year here.

Given the choice, no one in the country other than UNC fans would take them over Chubb and Michel. I am not saying UNC isn't very talented on offense they are, but UNC does not have an advantage at RB. WR certainly UNC has a better group returning and I have no issue saying UNC has an advantage at WR, we all saw our qb play last year and saying it was bad is being too kind. But that same offense put of 52 against USC, how many did UNC put up on them? Our offense was not bad until we lost Chubb last year, after that our OC had no clue how to adjust to the talent we had left. Michel is a very good runner, a great receiver out of the backfield, but he isn't the punishing runner Chubb is. Our passing game consisted of WR screens and quick slants, nothinig more than 10 yards down field. That won't be the case this year with a couple of state champ.100m kids and all state WR joining the mix and an OC who believes you have to take 7-10 shots deep per game. We didn't throw 7 passes over 20 yards last season.

Schottheimer was awful, even Lambert looked like a capable qb in our new offense, who will likely be our starter in the first game. Eason may or may not play, he is by far the most talented qb on the roster but he has taken zero snaps in a game. I think the game comes down to 2 things, UNC being able to stop the run without bringing S up into the box, and can UNC handled the speed of our outside rushers. If they can, UNC wins, if they can't UGA wins.

looking at offense vs scar, we both had similar yards per carry 6.3 to 6.5. One big difference was that your QB had the best game of his life, 24 for 25, while ours had the worst game of his life: 19-31, 3 picks, two were picked inside the endzone.

looking at offense vs scar, we both had similar yards per carry 6.3 to 6.5. One big difference was that your QB had the best game of his life, 24 for 25, while ours had the worst game of his life: 19-31, 3 picks, two were picked inside the endzone.

Yes he did against the same defense your qb threw 3 picks, your's is gone and ours may or may not play, we put up nearly 3 times the points with a gawd awful qb who didn't throw picks against a poor defense and UNC did with one of the more potent offenses in the ACC. I think you underestimating our defense who had to win games after Chubb went down last year. We very likely beat UT with him, and I would like to think Richt wouldn't have given the UF game away to make a point, then we could have gotten beat again by Bama in the SEC championship game. We scored 11 offensive TD's in the last 8 regular season games and won 5 of them. Like I said game will come down to 2 keys, Can UNC stop the run without bringing a S in the box and force us to send 5+ to get pressure on the qb, if the answer are yes, UNC wins, if no UGA wins, unless one team wins the turnover margin by 3-4+..

I am pretty sure both of us are underestimating each other's talent, unlike years past I think this UGA team will come to play, may not be good enough to win, but will be prepared and the Dome will be rocking. , like I said in an earlier post, this team will have the most weapons UGA has ever had on offense. There is no AJ Green, but there are 2 Moreno's and I would be surprised if Eason is not at least as good as Stafford was as a true frosh, bigger, arm on the same level and better touch than Stafford ever had on deep balls, same issue on shorter routes.

Yes he did against the same defense your qb threw 3 picks, your's is gone and ours may or may not play, we put up nearly 3 times the points with a gawd awful qb who didn't throw picks against a poor defense and UNC did ......

To be clear, i'm giving ZERO credit to SCAR's defense for 2 of the three interceptions. Marquise was either hot or cold during his career. The two picks in the end-zone were directly to the same, wide-open LB. It was a really flukey game for him. Same happened versus Delaware State and he was benched. I'm not crediting delaware state's defense either. SCAR didn't beat UNC, Marquise beat UNC. You brought up the SCAR pt differential, that's why i mentioned this.

To be clear, i'm giving ZERO credit to SCAR's defense for 2 of the three interceptions. Marquise was either hot or cold during his career. The two picks in the end-zone were directly to the same, wide-open LB. It was a really flukey game for him. Same happened versus Delaware State and he was benched. I'm not crediting delaware state's defense either. SCAR didn't beat UNC, Marquise beat UNC. You brought up the SCAR pt differential, that's why i mentioned this.

Who put Marquise on the field? USC fooled him and he threw 2 pics in the endzone. Did he win the 11 games by himself too?

Who put Marquise on the field? USC fooled him and he threw 2 pics in the endzone. Did he win the 11 games by himself too?
What are you even arguing? I still can't take you seriously after the comment previously when you said this year's team will have more talent than any UGA team ever.

As for the Williams picks against SCar, did you watch the game? He wasn't "fooled" he just sucked on those plays. He was an extremely hot and cold player, exacerbated by the fact that he admitted afterwards that he was thinking about impressing pro scouts in that SCar game and was also too hyped up because it was a homecoming for him. That's on him, that's not on SCar's defense -- the same defense that we gashed all over the place when we ran the ball.

I'll say it again, three people are responsible for SCar winning that game: former offensive coordinator Seth Littrell, former QB Marquise Williams, and former SCar playmaker Pharoh Cooper. Drawing any other conclusions from that game is futile.

...UNC D could not stop the run last year and I do not see much changing this year on that front. Unless Gene Chizik preforms more magic in his second year here.
we have a few defensive linemen with potential, but i'm very concerned about depth. depth on the defensive line is so important, not just for injuries but fatigue during a game when the opponent has a strong ground attack.

Reactions: Louigi
we have a few defensive linemen with potential, but i'm very concerned about depth. depth on the defensive line is so important, not just for injuries but fatigue during a game when the opponent has a strong ground attack.
Exactly. DL depth is essential over the course of a season and against teams with top running games.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
What are you even arguing? I still can't take you seriously after the comment previously when you said this year's team will have more talent than any UGA team ever.

As for the Williams picks against SCar, did you watch the game? He wasn't "fooled" he just sucked on those plays. He was an extremely hot and cold player, exacerbated by the fact that he admitted afterwards that he was thinking about impressing pro scouts in that SCar game and was also too hyped up because it was a homecoming for him. That's on him, that's not on SCar's defense -- the same defense that we gashed all over the place when we ran the ball.

I'll say it again, three people are responsible for SCar winning that game: former offensive coordinator Seth Littrell, former QB Marquise Williams, and former SCar playmaker Pharoh Cooper. Drawing any other conclusions from that game is futile.

Whatever you say, its obvious you know very little about our roster, the offensive side has the most explosive talent we have ever had at 1 time, more speed at WR, 5 TE who can all play and start for the majority of D1 schools, not all of course. I doubt anyone has more than 40 receptions, but several will be near that mark, unless Chaney decides to give one guy big numbers.

Whatever you say, its obvious you know very little about our roster, the offensive side has the most explosive talent we have ever had at 1 time, more speed at WR, 5 TE who can all play and start for the majority of D1 schools, not all of course. I doubt anyone has more than 40 receptions, but several will be near that mark, unless Chaney decides to give one guy big numbers.
I know plenty about UGA's roster. I attended UGA before attending Carolina. I'm not a fan but I still follow their program (though not as close as I follow UNC's). I'm not saying UGA isn't talented, but I'm not ready to assume Eason will be better than Stafford.

carolina will very likely out-play georgia. but the refs won't disappoint the huge home crowd, and the ncaa higher-ups, and the networks who want SEC teams ranked as high as possible for big matchups later in the season, i.e. big ratings. any carolina fan who thinks i'm being cynical or paranoid hasn't been paying attention.

carolina will very likely out-play georgia. but the refs won't disappoint the huge home crowd, and the ncaa higher-ups, and the networks who want SEC teams ranked as high as possible for big matchups later in the season, i.e. big ratings. any carolina fan who thinks i'm being cynical or paranoid hasn't been paying attention.
You've been spending too much time on Radar.

You've been spending too much time on Radar.
you missed the acc championship game last year? no way the refs were going to let top ranked clemson lose to lowly carolina and spoil their cash cow matchups in the football playoffs! it took an offside call so blatantly ridiculous even the announcers were appalled, but hey why not, preserving the big money matchups involving hundreds of millions of dollars justifies the means.

you missed the acc championship game last year? no way the refs were going to let top ranked clemson lose to lowly carolina and spoil their cash cow matchups in the football playoffs! it took an offside call so blatantly ridiculous even the announcers were appalled, but hey why not, preserving the big money matchups involving hundreds of millions of dollars justifies the means.
Or UNC could have stopped Clemson from scoring. That, more than likely, leads to us outscoring them which usually leads to a win. Can you show me any proof there was some kind of conspiracy to help them win the game? If so, then I will be more than happy to tell you that you were right. In the meantime, I'll assume that there was no million dollar, multiple person cover up to screw UNC.

Come on man, you're a better poster than to believe crap like you just wrote. You do realize that even if we get the ball there, we still have to score another TD and get a 2-pt conversion just to tie right? And then we'd have to win in overtime and....well....you know how bad our defense was. Point being, there was a lot of stuff for us to overcome even if that offside call had gone our way. Bad calls happen. By the way, do you know why we had so much to overcome? Because we put ourselves in a huge hole thanks to our O-Line getting demolished by their D-Line (nothing to cry about, their D-Line was elite) and our QB had one of his patented "off' halves in the first half.

Clemson won a game in the playoff. We would not have. I'm fine with how it turned out. Did it hurt? Yes. But we had no business being in the playoff to be brutally honest. The Baylor game proved that.

Come on man, you're a better poster than to believe crap like you just wrote. You do realize that even if we get the ball there, we still have to score another TD and get a 2-pt conversion just to tie right? And then we'd have to win in overtime and....well....you know how bad our defense was. Point being, there was a lot of stuff for us to overcome even if that offside call had gone our way. Bad calls happen. By the way, do you know why we had so much to overcome? Because we put ourselves in a huge hole thanks to our O-Line getting demolished by their D-Line (nothing to cry about, their D-Line was elite) and our QB had one of his patented "off' halves in the first half.

Clemson won a game in the playoff. We would not have. I'm fine with how it turned out. Did it hurt? Yes. But we had no business being in the playoff to be brutally honest. The Baylor game proved that.
I am fine with losing the game to Clemson. I am not close to fine with the loss to USuCk. And I am not fine with the way we lost to Baylor.

a) calling someone's opinions "crap" is very disrespectful, despite your backhanded compliment
b) yes, we still needed to score a TD and 2pts to tie the game. the point is one biased ref cheated us out of the opportunity to do that.
c) "bad calls happen"? yes, and when a blatantly awful call at the end of the game deprives one team of their chance to win it deserves criticism and speculation as to why.
d) yes, we had weaknesses and our QB did not play two great halves. but clemson made blunders and did not play a good 4th quarter. what the he// has that got to do with anything? outcomes should be determined by the score and unbiased rule administration, not by a fan's assessment of which team was more deserving.
e) you're fine with the loss because clemson later won a playoff game? i doubt carolina would have been picked for the playoff despite winning the acc but that's irrelevant. our tar heels had a chance to win the acc championship and a ref (for whatever reason) took it away with a call that wasn't even close. sorry you're so comfortable with that. i'm not.

...Can you show me any proof there was some kind of conspiracy to help them win the game? If so, then I will be more than happy to tell you that you were right. In the meantime, I'll assume that there was no million dollar, multiple person cover up to screw UNC.
i did speculate as to the ref's possible motives for ending unc's chances with a horrendous call but i never said anything about a conspiracy. refs can think for themselves you know, and many people saw benefits for the conference (financial, media attention, recognition as a top conference, etc) to have clemson in the playoff. a ref didn't need a behind closed doors "conspiracy" or secret directives from the acc to figure that out. obviously we can't know the ref's true motives. the point is some mistakes are so ridiculously bad and untimely (or timely depending on your perspective) and serving of pecuniary interests that writing it off as a simple error doesn't wash.

Sometimes a spade needs to be called a spade. If you think there's some master conspiracy that kept Carolina from winning that game against Clemson then I can't help you. That's too stupid to even debate about with you.
i did speculate as to the ref's possible motives for ending unc's chances with a horrendous call but i never said anything about a conspiracy. refs can think for themselves you know, and many people saw benefits for the conference (financial, media attention, recognition as a top conference, etc) to have clemson in the playoff. a ref didn't need a behind closed doors "conspiracy" or secret directives from the acc to figure that out. obviously we can't know the ref's true motives. the point is some mistakes are so ridiculously bad and untimely (or timely depending on your perspective) and serving of pecuniary interests that writing it off as a simple error doesn't wash.

LOL dude the refs have no motivation to favor one team versus the other in your situation (Clemson going to the playoffs vs. Carolina winning and not going). The refs get evaluated on their performance. If they make a bad call, they might get fired. I guarantee they care a hell of a lot more about their own personal salary than the damn conference's financial windfall.

By the way, our formation on the onside kick was still illegal, even if we weren't called for being offside, but no one wants to remember that inconvenient truth.

But that still doesn't really make sense unless you are saying that ref missed several calls that game which benefited Clemson. Missing one call doesn't mean that he had some kind of motive. If that's all it takes to be suspicious of a ref, then you would have to be suspicious of every ref in every sport.

that ref will probably be in the ACCCG again this season. Mistakes , even bad ones don't seem to be an issue with the ACC.

I don't want to delve into the land of some of the Radar posters in regards to the basketball championship game and think everything is a master conspiracy with everyone in the country aligning to screw UNC, but I wonder what it would take to get some people to recognize the possibility of some undue influence on a game - regardless of where that comes from.

Nothing along the lines of "make sure Team A wins this game regardless" - but something more along the lines of "if its close, err on the side of Team A". Also, situations like NBA ref Tim Donaghy with influences outside of the conference/NCAA/etc. I think it's just as naive to think that they never happen, as it is to think that they always happen. There is a LOT of money involved.

I don't want to delve into the land of some of the Radar posters in regards to the basketball championship game and think everything is a master conspiracy with everyone in the country aligning to screw UNC, but I wonder what it would take to get some people to recognize the possibility of some undue influence on a game - regardless of where that comes from.

Nothing along the lines of "make sure Team A wins this game regardless" - but something more along the lines of "if its close, err on the side of Team A". Also, situations like NBA ref Tim Donaghy with influences outside of the conference/NCAA/etc. I think it's just as naive to think that they never happen, as it is to think that they always happen. There is a LOT of money involved.
Okay if I dive into the kookoo land of conspiracies for a second.............

If I had to pick a game that was more likely to have had a corrupt official, the game against Villanova is a much, much better candidate than the one against Clemson. But still, it's a silly notion.

Not enough guys on both sides of the kicker. We were overstacked on one side. It's a relatively new rule.
there must be 4 players on each side of the kicker(page 66 of the rule book) Go back and look our formation was completely legal.

I wonder what it would take to get some people to recognize the possibility of some undue influence on a game - regardless of where that comes from.
It's theoretically possible that some game in the history of UNC had some undue influence. That's a serious allegation to make and before I would make it, I would need to see some type of rational explanation of why and how it happened. In my opinion that hasn't been presented here or on radar. Like I said in another post, I will be glad to acknowledge someone was right about this if some proof comes to light, but until then I'll subscribe to occam's razor.

Reactions: UNC '92
It's theoretically possible that some game in the history of UNC had some undue influence. That's a serious allegation to make and before I would make it, I would need to see some type of rational explanation of why and how it happened. In my opinion that hasn't been presented here or on radar. Like I said in another post, I will be glad to acknowledge someone was right about this if some proof comes to light, but until then I'll subscribe to occam's razor.
Also, this just in:

Officiating is hard!!! Y'all see how damn fast these guys are. These judgment calls are difficult to make in real time.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Theres little indication that the UGA DL will be as productive this first game as last years group ... https://uga.n.rivals.com/news/looking-ahead-breaking-down-the-defensive-line ... they have some new kids taking over and possible suspension of 4 kids ... creating a lack of depth. Its a problem thats not easily fixed before week 1. UNC can eat up some clock and keep their D fresh ... by the 4th qtr this Dawg D might be a little gassed. No mistakes like in game 1 of last year ... create some turnovers ... UNC is in this one and anyone that doubts that is plain stooopid.

Theres little indication that the UGA DL will be as productive this first game as last years group ... https://uga.n.rivals.com/news/looking-ahead-breaking-down-the-defensive-line ... they have some new kids taking over and possible suspension of 4 kids ... creating a lack of depth. Its a problem thats not easily fixed before week 1. UNC can eat up some clock and keep their D fresh ... by the 4th qtr this Dawg D might be a little gassed. No mistakes like in game 1 of last year ... create some turnovers ... UNC is in this one and anyone that doubts that is plain stooopid.
Last year, we started the season refusing to use Hood as we should have and with a QB far too inconsistent as a passer to control the clock with a short passing game.

Both should be corrected for the UGA game.

I don't think anyone believes it will be a blow out, at least I don't. The question is whether UNC can play a complete game as opposed to the games against LSU and USC in recent years. Will we gas their defense? Probably, we gas most, and as it will be the first game of the year no team is expected to be at 100% in shape. For me it all goes back to that clock thing, we need to do everything we can to keep our defense off the field and the ball out of UGA's running back's hands even if that means playing at a pace slower than what Fedora is known for if/when we get a healthy lead.

Reactions: nolegeorge
I don't think anyone believes it will be a blow out, at least I don't. The question is whether UNC can play a complete game as opposed to the games against LSU and USC in recent years. Will we gas their defense? Probably, we gas most, and as it will be the first game of the year no team is expected to be at 100% in shape. For me it all goes back to that clock thing, we need to do everything we can to keep our defense off the field and the ball out of UGA's running back's hands even if that means playing at a pace slower than what Fedora is known for if/when we get a healthy lead.

Agreed ... If the OL is getting a push late in the game then I think he will slow down the game and chew up the clock and keep Chub off the field. Although if you can force UGA to play catch up with a FR QB then that might be a good scenario also.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I think we start out extremely fast. First play from scrimmage will be a long bomb for a TD. The defense bends but don't break and then another quick score.

UGa dismisses top 10 DE Chauncey Rivers caught smoking weed 3 times in 5 months. WTH is he doing smoking weed on the steps of the Athen's PD? Hell I knew guys in HS and college who smoked it every days for years and never got caught. I'm not talking testing positive ; He got busted 3 times.

Reactions: nolegeorge
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT