ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread....

I'm pretty sure of the "where" he's going to commit ;)
If Ross does commit, and I were Chizik or Scott, I would tell Fedora that I want a chance to try McKethan at NG. I think his college playing weight will be 340-350. I'd like a guy that large and strong right in the middle of our DL.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
If Ross does commit, and I were Chizik or Scott, I would tell Fedora that I want a chance to try McKethan at NG. I think his college playing weight will be 340-350. I'd like a guy that large and strong right in the middle of our DL.

Agreed

Looks like our choices at RB are dwindling down with leake now gone. I say take two this year and go all in on white

Reactions: randman1
Looks like our choices at RB are dwindling down with leake now gone. I say take two this year and go all in on white

Agreed and have been saying this for awhile. There are some guys that can fill in if need be at RB. Let Anthony Ratliffe-Williams play some RB so if we have an injury, he is ready. He'll probably be starting at WR but bet he'd enjoy some reps at RB and could throw a few passes even to throw the opposing defense off a little.

Also, there may be a sound RB or 2 or 3 who graduate elsewhere with a year of eligibility left. Perhaps one of those transfers will have an interest in UNC if Hood leaves.

I still say that Hood might return. He is an Eagle Scout. He might see it as duty to play 4 years. He might really want to be UNC's All Time leader in rushing yards.

That definitely would be impressive to do that in HS and college. Elijah is very unique so we all will have to wait and see.

That definitely would be impressive to do that in HS and college. Elijah is very unique so we all will have to wait and see.
On our end - you want your 1st Heisman to be a young man like Elijah Hood. He is no Johnny Manziel, no Cam Newton, no Reggie Bush, no OJ. He is an ideal young man. And because he is that type, he will think about the potential positive messages he could send to any number of young people by playing 4 years at UNC and graduating with his class.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
On our end - you want your 1st Heisman to be a young man like Elijah Hood. He is no Johnny Manziel, no Cam Newton, no Reggie Bush, no OJ. He is an ideal young man. And because he is that type, he will think about the potential positive messages he could send to any number of young people by playing 4 years at UNC and graduating with his class.
Amen to that Woad!

Excited about the potential Ross commitment tonight. FWIW, 247 has us at 100% now. Hope that's not the kiss of death. I think he could develop into a fine player.

Last edited:
I disagree. You gotta take 3 because you can't assume we'll get White. If we only take two this class, that leaves us very thin in the ranks moving forward if White goes elsewhere (which let's face it, there's a good chance he will).

I say take 3 this cycle, and if that truly ends up scaring off White, perhaps that says more about ZW than it does about Carolina and its recruiting plan.

Agreed, you don't let a 17 year old dictate your recruiting cycle, no matter how talented the kid is.

Our OL just keeps adding.
I would say our O-Line is about a B or B+ right now (relative to all 128 FBS O-Lines). I would love to see us make the jump into A- or A territory. I'm really hoping William Sweet can grab a starting spot. He was a very, very hot commodity as a recruit. I don't know if some people have sorta forgotten that because it was three cycles ago, but we won a dogfight against LSU (and FSU?) to keep a hold of Sweet. I'd love to see what an O-Line containing him and Hatton could perform like.

So if we're taking 3 RB's who will the last two guys be? Holston and Davis? Solid depth, but would be really nice to get a playmaker back there.

Other than RB looks like we're hoping to add another OL, DT (Campbell/Gill?), and DB.

I would say our O-Line is about a B or B+ right now (relative to all 128 FBS O-Lines). I would love to see us make the jump into A- or A territory. I'm really hoping William Sweet can grab a starting spot. He was a very, very hot commodity as a recruit. I don't know if some people have sorta forgotten that because it was three cycles ago, but we won a dogfight against LSU (and FSU?) to keep a hold of Sweet. I'd love to see what an O-Line containing him and Hatton could perform like.

Agreed. We are signing some huge hogs on the OL. Now if we could just get our DL headed in that direction...

So if we're taking 3 RB's who will the last two guys be? Holston and Davis? Solid depth, but would be really nice to get a playmaker back there.

Other than RB looks like we're hoping to add another OL, DT (Campbell/Gill?), and DB.

We already have the next playmaker in Jordan Brown...Kid will be a stud at UNC...1 of the toughest kids I have seen in NC high school football...Ask the Crest folks on this board about Mr. Brown...They lost to Crest this past year in the Title game but Man that kid showed me something...

We already have the next playmaker in Jordan Brown...Kid will be a stud at UNC...1 of the toughest kids I have seen in NC high school football...Ask the Crest folks on this board about Mr. Brown...They lost to Crest this past year in the Title game but Man that kid showed me something...

this is what we say about every recruit though, and some are amazing, some are solid instead of amazing. Some thought Kris Francis would be the next Gio Bernard, for example. Ask the folks who played Southern Durham.

Gill seems to have nothing going on recruiting wise , no visits , no camps , no favorites etc. I doubt we will ever get Campbell past admissions.

no surprise. already had Eric Douglas from Mallard Creek .
Yeah there's no rhyme or reason where Mallard Creek guys will go. Tennessee, Carolina, Moo, SCar.

On a side note, it is nuts that they have, what, 5 rising seniors who are going to play not only FBS, but Power 5. Insane.

I see Grant Gibson is up to 300 lbs. I wouldn't mind having him on board if Campbell isn't a guarantee.

Deana and all, aside from Devon Hunter are there any giant fish left? At one time I heard Alex Perry like us, but haven't heard any more. Josh Paschal too. Any stud LBs that we might still be flirting with?

I spoke to Grant yesterday as well and he seems very solid to the Wolfpack.

There is a sleeper LBer at Mallard Creek in Larry Matkins. He just got his first offer from Colorado State.

Not a lot of info on Xach Gill on what he is going to do.

I was just throwing out some in-state prospects I like. I don't know if UNC has any interest in Matkins.

this is what we say about every recruit though, and some are amazing, some are solid instead of amazing. Some thought Kris Francis would be the next Gio Bernard, for example. Ask the folks who played Southern Durham.

If you compared KF to Gio then you have never watched football...Also what does K.Francis have to do with Southern Durham...

If you compared KF to Gio then you have never watched football...Also what does K.Francis have to do with Southern Durham...
First, I didn't compare KF to Gio, but other people did, just like you are saying JBrown will be a playmaker and a stud, people said the same thing about KF. I'm not disparaging KF, he's solid in special teams, and has some potential to be a good back, but I wouldn't call him "playmaker" or "stud".

Second, KF was from southern durham high or hillside high, so just like you can ask Crest about JBrown, you could ask opponents about KF.

I'm not trying to harsh your mellow, just stating that it is really hard to predict how great highschoolers will be on the next level.

There is a sleeper LBer at Mallard Creek in Larry Matkins. He just got his first offer from Colorado State.

I was just throwing out some in-state prospects I like. I don't know if UNC has any interest in Matkins.
thanks!

He just made a UNC pick for Gill. He usually has a pretty decent record on UNC targets. Deana: What do you think?

******Please STOP linking the competition and bringing their stuff here.*******

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT