ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina at Duke Game thread—Saturday 15 October 2022

thank goodness for dookie penalties on their last drive... that was the difference in the game

UNC is Drake Maye and his receivers. I give some props to the running game, too. I hope Caleb Hood is okay. Green looked really good, too.

The defense is still a major liability.

The fair weatherness (if that's a word), and the pessimism on this thread is comical. I enjoyed reading this thread. Adios Victory Bell............oh, wait!
Hey, man... UNC didn't win as much as the dookies lost it due to their penalties on that last drive. UNC got lucky as hell.

Good win.

Well it was a win anyways...

SimpleNimbleGreatdane-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Archer2
Program development: We are all disappointed considering the talent level especially that the team isn't further along.

However, there are well-known steps to rebuilding. Recruiting is one of them. Another is learning to win close games and beat the teams you should beat.

This is where we are at. A solid program will do that and win games as well where they are not necessarily the best team and also win games where the other team has the same talent as them.

It's been ugly but we have won the games we were favored in and beat a team in Miami who may be as good or better. We lost to a Notre Dame team that is just better than us. They were more disciplined, seemed to me to be bigger and stronger and at least as fast and a little quicker. Yeah, we could beat them if we played our best but we didn't.

Seems to me the program is progressing along a normal rebuild line.

Take away the two turnovers on Maye where Duke scored both times on a short field the team played well enough to win. The defensive changes at half time which stopped Duke from running wide like they did in the first half was a major key in the win…
That D got better, but dook had some nice stretches running the ball 4th qtr too.

the crucial "fumble" late in the game was an incomplete pass. when the ball slips out of a QB's hand while he's passing, it's not a fumble. also, if it's conclusive evidence to reverse the call on the field it doesn't take that long to watch and re-watch the replay.
I think he'd lost possession prior to arm coming fwd. Hand wasn't entirely empty, but still a fumble.

Maye's only negative is quite a few fumbles this yr.

I know everyone wants this defense to be a lot better including myself, but they do make some good timely plays at times and look terrible at times too. Only thing I know we keep getting wins 4th win on the road so all we can do take it move on to the next game.

the crucial "fumble" late in the game was an incomplete pass. when the ball slips out of a QB's hand while he's passing, it's not a fumble. also, if it's conclusive evidence to reverse the call on the field it doesn't take that long to watch and re-watch the replay.
Agree x 1000. Same thing with the review on the winning catch. I woke my sleeping wife on the couch (she's so good
on quick look decisions), who has been asleep, mind you. ONE look, she mumbles.... no, his shoe was on
all green grass. That's all l needed to know, yet they showed it again and again and again.
Are reviews timed? The longer you look at a play, the likelihood that you find a discrepancy increases.
Anyhoo.....DUCK FUKE, GO HEELS.

My 9-win prediction looking pretty, pretty, pretty good right now.
Yeah, I believe I projected 9 wins as well. Of course, I thought the defense would be much better back then. If you’d told me we’d be giving up close to 500 yards per game, I might have projected a mere 6 victories. I thought the defense might have to carry the offense early on, boy I couldn’t have been more wrong!!!

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
I know everyone wants this defense to be a lot better including myself, but they do make some good timely plays at times and look terrible at times too. Only thing I know we keep getting wins 4th win on the road so all we can do take it move on to the next game.
Yeah, the two times we got them on downs was great. We played solid in the third quarter too. Plenty of room for improvement, but I think earlier in the year this defense doesn't make those plays.

I think the offense, or should I say Longo, needs to help out the D more. That long stretch where we basically did nothing on offense didn't help the defense at all.

I was pleased to see MB say he was puzzled by that double-reverse by the UNC offense after the defense held the devils on 4th down.

If they would have just methodically marched down the short field and scored a TD, that could have been a dagger. That trickery and a quick out with no points did more damage than any of the turnovers on offense.

I was pleased to see MB say he was puzzled by that double-reverse by the UNC offense after the defense held the devils on 4th down.

If they would have just methodically marched down the short field and scored a TD, that could have been a dagger. That trickery and a quick out with no points did more damage than any of the turnovers on offense.
Yeah, I thought that was a weird time to try that play. Them holding us after a big stop turned the momentum back to them.

I notice Maye is running the ball an awful lot. I'm sure it's off reads. Would be nice to see a bit more designed runs for the backs. Would be even nicer if we could find more of a featured back even with our depth.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I notice Maye is running the ball an awful lot. I'm sure it's off reads. Would be nice to see a bit more designed runs for the backs. Would be even nicer if we could find more of a featured back even with our depth.
We were using our TE’s so effectively and we‘ve gotten away from that too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT