ADVERTISEMENT

Fedora

Polino, veal and McCargo are really the only backups. Maybe pritchett.

Polino has played a ton lately.

I'll say this for Fedora. His team hasn't quit on him, they're still playing hard. So they must have confidence in the staff. One other thing, the play calling has been significantly better the last couple of games, with no major brain farts that I can readily recall. If Fed is now calling the plays, as some seem to think, I hope he will continue to do so.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I'll say this for Fedora. His team hasn't quit on him, they're still playing hard. So they must have confidence in the staff. One other thing, the play calling has been significantly better the last couple of games, with no major brain farts that I can readily recall. If Fed is now calling the plays, as some seem to think, I hope he will continue to do so.

Yeah, its just too bad that your Panthers couldn't overcome that play calling.

Yeah, it really is. I just hate it the Heels win. I'm really a closet ABC fan. Only someone as astute as you are could have uncovered that fact.

So you aren't still pulling against them? That's news to me.

I'm sure there are a lot of things that are news to you genius.

No need to get mad. You were the one that said you'd be pulling for us to lose every game until Fed got fired. I'm happy to let you down off the cross though. If you're ready to be a Tar Heel football fan again, then I'm here to help.

Reactions: grillheel
No need to get mad. You were the one that said you'd be pulling for us to lose every game until Fed got fired. I'm happy to let you down off the cross though. If you're ready to be a Tar Heel football fan again, then I'm here to help.
I wouldn't count on you to help me do anything pal. I neither want nor need your help.

And you seem like just the kind of guy who would like to give me one. Thanks, but no thanks. Now go to your designated safe space and you won’t have to be offended by my posts.

And you seem like just the kind of guy who would like to give me one. Thanks, but no thanks. Now go to your designated safe space and you won’t have to be offended by my posts.

I understand that you're still touchy about Pitt losing but try not to take it out on others.

Sorry was in the military. We go out a lot and dont have acess to t.v. or phones, and internet was limited. I remember losing to a bad sec team, almost beating clemson, then being blown out by baylor. So no definitely not a russian bot. Im from the hill, grew up there and have been to more games than most on here. I take losses personally. My experiences at the hill while my grandfather was alive gave me some of the best experiences growing up, and then reliving them once he passed away.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Sorry was in the military. We go out a lot and dont have acess to t.v. or phones, and internet was limited. I remember losing to a bad sec team, almost beating clemson, then being blown out by baylor. So no definitely not a russian bot. Im from the hill, grew up there and have been to more games than most on here. I take losses personally. My experiences at the hill while my grandfather was alive gave me some of the best experiences growing up, and then reliving them once he passed away.
You should def find some of the games from that yr on youtube, it was a really fun yr.

And for you guys bashing me (very disappointed in you tazki , I often admired and liked your posts over the YEARS) Fedora is an ok coach. I am a football fan first. I do not think he is the guy to get us over the hump. Congratulations if you think he is, but this is MY opinion. I am tired of being mediocre in football, the biggest revenue generator in sports. UNC is better than that. And I think we deserve better. If you doubt this be really honest with yourself, if you had a kid who was a four, five star recruit, where would you want him to go, who would you want him to play for?

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
And for you guys bashing me (very disappointed in you tazki , I often admired and liked your posts over the YEARS) Fedora is an ok coach. I am a football fan first. I do not think he is the guy to get us over the hump. Congratulations if you think he is, but this is MY opinion. I am tired of being mediocre in football, the biggest revenue generator in sports. UNC is better than that. And I think we deserve better. If you doubt this be really honest with yourself, if you had a kid who was a four, five star recruit, where would you want him to go, who would you want him to play for?

Fair enough scubby. I guess I am just tired from all the Fedora bashing. It gets old and it's funny how some forget how many freakin players are out. Believe it or not that matters.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
What about the redshirts?
McKethan is on the travel squard while the other redshirt OT is not... so they must like McKethan, but since we aren't very deep it is hard to glean much from that. So I too wonder which redshirts are looking really good if Andrew says so.

blazers, I can't remember the thread title and it's been 2 or 3 weeks ago. I hope I'm not remembering it wrong, we really need improvement along the O line.

skubby, keep your head up. You're entitled to your opinions as much as anyone else on the board. Things have been a little chippy on here lately

Reactions: skubby12002
If Tennessee and Florida are struggling to find a coach, what kind of shape do you think we would end up in if we let Fed go?

There will probably be at least five jobs available this offseason that are more desirable than UNC. We have a next to zero chance of hiring a better coach than Fedora between now and 2019 at the earliest. That may very well be a sad truth, but it's true nonetheless.

If Tennessee and Florida are struggling to find a coach, what kind of shape do you think we would end up in if we let Fed go?

There will probably be at least five jobs available this offseason that are more desirable than UNC. We have a next to zero chance of hiring a better coach than Fedora between now and 2019 at the earliest. That may very well be a sad truth, but it's true nonetheless.

I'm not sure if Florida is "struggling" in their coaching search. They are already discussing Chip Kelly, and one of their other main targets, Dan Mullen, would probably wait until at least after the regular season to meet with them. I'm assuming that's the case for the majority of candidates for all major openings.

I'm not sure if Florida is "struggling" in their coaching search. They are already discussing Chip Kelly, and one of their other main targets, Dan Mullen, would probably wait until at least after the regular season to meet with them. I'm assuming that's the case for the majority of candidates for all major openings.

Fair enough. What I should've said was that there are simply not enough big time coaches for the number of big time programs. Which leaves us behind the 8 ball when we have to compete with SEC schools or other blue chip programs to sign a big name coach. We were probably lucky to get Fed to begin with considering some of the openings that year.

Fair enough. What I should've said was that there are simply not enough big time coaches for the number of big time programs. Which leaves us behind the 8 ball when we have to compete with SEC schools or other blue chip programs to sign a big name coach. We were probably lucky to get Fed to begin with considering some of the openings that year.

What about Lane Kiffin? If you think about it, he's had chances at two major "football schools" and it didn't work out in either place, either thorough his own fault, and / or his inability to live up to the high and somewhat unreasonable expectations demanded by boosters and fans of such schools. I really think he can thrive at a place like UNC. Yes, our fans want the football team to be good, but the focus will ALWAYS be on basketball. A guy like Kiffin is young enough to stay here long term, recruit well, and build a consistent ACC contender, which I'm sure is what will make most of us happy.

What about Lane Kiffin? If you think about it, he's had chances at two major "football schools" and it didn't work out in either place, either thorough his own fault, and / or his inability to live up to the high and somewhat unreasonable expectations demanded by boosters and fans of such schools. I really think he can thrive at a place like UNC. Yes, our fans want the football team to be good, but the focus will ALWAYS be on basketball. A guy like Kiffin is young enough to stay here long term, recruit well, and build a consistent ACC contender, which I'm sure is what will make most of us happy.
Is this a real post?

Kiffin couldn’t win with all the resources at UT and USC, yet he will at UNC??

Is this a real post?

Kiffin couldn’t win with all the resources at UT and USC, yet he will at UNC??

He was at UT for a year before leaving for the Raiders. He didn't even have one full recruiting class. And at USC, has anyone since Kiffin had success? The jury is still out on Helton. Plus, coaching at USC is a lot different than coaching here.

Well we probably could get him. I'd see it as more of a lateral move though. What makes you think he would be more successful than Fed?

I think UNC can become the kind of school that has two dominant programs. We'd need a hundred years of catch-up to build the same level of tradition as the basketball program but I think it's possible to fill Kenan 6-7 times per season for sure. And that's step one in my book. If we were a national powerhouse football program then I think we would see much more fan support and enthusiasm than we're getting now.

Well we probably could get him. I'd see it as more of a lateral move though. What makes you think he would be more successful than Fed?

I think UNC can become the kind of school that has two dominant programs. We'd need a hundred years of catch-up to build the same level of tradition as the basketball program but I think it's possible to fill Kenan 6-7 times per season for sure. And that's step one in my book. If we were a national powerhouse football program then I think we would see much more fan support and enthusiasm than we're getting now.

To be honest, I'm not sure if he would have more success than Fedora. I just thought of Kiffin as a possibility if it's ever determined that Fedora isn't the answer. The main reason I mentioned him is based on the chance that he would be willing to stay here long term, and not use early success here as a stepping stone for a job at a more prominent football school. Based on his experiences at UT and USC, he may see the benefit of being here, where the expectations are high but maybe not as unreasonable.

I agree with you 100% that UNC Football has the potential to become bigger than it is right now, and that fan enthusiasm and attendance are keys to making that happen. The problem is that it takes talented recruits to build enough success to generate the fan support, but the recruits want to go to a place where the fan support is already there. The difference makers don't want to play home games in half empty stadiums.

The key for us is finding stability for the coaching staff.

He was at UT for a year before leaving for the Raiders. He didn't even have one full recruiting class. And at USC, has anyone since Kiffin had success? The jury is still out on Helton. Plus, coaching at USC is a lot different than coaching here.

USC offers so much more to a coach and Helton isn't the guy. If you can't win at USC, you can't coach football.
To be honest, I'm not sure if he would have more success than Fedora. I just thought of Kiffin as a possibility if it's ever determined that Fedora isn't the answer. The main reason I mentioned him is based on the chance that he would be willing to stay here long term, and not use early success here as a stepping stone for a job at a more prominent football school. Based on his experiences at UT and USC, he may see the benefit of being here, where the expectations are high but maybe not as unreasonable.

I agree with you 100% that UNC Football has the potential to become bigger than it is right now, and that fan enthusiasm and attendance are keys to making that happen. The problem is that it takes talented recruits to build enough success to generate the fan support, but the recruits want to go to a place where the fan support is already there. The difference makers don't want to play home games in half empty stadiums.

The key for us is finding stability for the coaching staff.
Kiffin absolutely would use us as a stepping stones. Look at his track record.

You could be right. He may do exactly that and leave for a bigger job at the first opportunity. I just think there is a slight chance that he won't do it. Remember, his last memory as a head coach at a major program was getting fired on an airport tarmac. Maybe he would rather build his own football power and be treated with respect, than to go to an existing one and risk being humiliated again if he doesn't win every single game.

One thing I would like to add is that I'm only bringing up the possibility of Kiffin if Fedora either decides to leave or gets fired. As I said before, I think Fedora deserves the chance to turn things around next season considering all of the injuries, and I hope it works out. He's a guy that I believe would stay here long term after everything he's gone through so far. I'm hoping he and his assistants can figure things out and bring success to the program.

I think Kiffin could do well here but I'd be scared that he would get us in trouble. I feel like the NCAA will be keeping a very close eye on us for a while just hoping to find something new.

Almost every year there will be a "football" school looking for a coach so we will always be facing that issue. Not sure we can do better than Fed at this point and there's no need for a lateral move. I think we have to give Fed a couple more years. The NCAA mess is over, the injuries will be over (surely) and he will have a couple of chances to turn this back around. If we're not in great shape in 2 years then he really needs to go. The chances of turning things around after 8 years seems very slim. Would have to bring in someone new just to build some enthusiasms again. Hopefully he can get us back track and if not, hopefully we can attract someone else who can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT