ADVERTISEMENT

Fedora

I think Kiffin could do well here but I'd be scared that he would get us in trouble. I feel like the NCAA will be keeping a very close eye on us for a while just hoping to find something new.

Almost every year there will be a "football" school looking for a coach so we will always be facing that issue. Not sure we can do better than Fed at this point and there's no need for a lateral move. I think we have to give Fed a couple more years. The NCAA mess is over, the injuries will be over (surely) and he will have a couple of chances to turn this back around. If we're not in great shape in 2 years then he really needs to go. The chances of turning things around after 8 years seems very slim. Would have to bring in someone new just to build some enthusiasms again. Hopefully he can get us back track and if not, hopefully we can attract someone else who can.
200% agree with all this.

Another little example of why Fedora needs to get a new OC. A quote from SI about the Miami D: "The Irish came in riding one of the nation’s top ground attacks, averaging over seven yards per carry; Miami held them to just three yards per carry and forced four turnovers, becoming the first FBS team to notch at least four takeaways in four straight games against FBS opponents in at least 13 years—a feat that’s even more impressive when you consider Miami only starts one senior on defense, has 10 freshmen and sophomores on its defensive two-deep and is playing with just 73 scholarship players."

That last part not only means that next year, if our offense has not gotten smarter, with new wrinkles, we can expect to be mauled by the Canes, but those numbers - Miami with only 73 scholarship players and only starts only 1 senior on D - should be kept in mind whenever using lack of 85 scholarship players and lack of senior starters to excuse Fedora for losing so many games.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Another little example of why Fedora needs to get a new OC. A quote from SI about the Miami D: "The Irish came in riding one of the nation’s top ground attacks, averaging over seven yards per carry; Miami held them to just three yards per carry and forced four turnovers, becoming the first FBS team to notch at least four takeaways in four straight games against FBS opponents in at least 13 years—a feat that’s even more impressive when you consider Miami only starts one senior on defense, has 10 freshmen and sophomores on its defensive two-deep and is playing with just 73 scholarship players."

That last part not only means that next year, if our offense has not gotten smarter, with new wrinkles, we can expect to be mauled by the Canes, but those numbers - Miami with only 73 scholarship players and only starts only 1 senior on D - should be kept in mind whenever using lack of 85 scholarship players and lack of senior starters to excuse Fedora for losing so many games.
Yawn

The OC at Carolina could be a hard job. I don't know how much influence Larry has on the offensive scheme/philosophy but I feel like it's quite a bit. Could make it hard to get a really good OC if they feel Larry is going to micro manage everything on offense. I'm not saying this is the case but just wonder if it is. Kap just seems to try to do what he thinks Larry would do. I don't think that's a good scenario either. Kind of like a watered down Larry approach. Maybe Larry is grooming Heck, if he is he should go ahead and make him OC after the season. Would that cause problems with Kap? Would he make them Co-OCs - I don't really like the Co-?C scenario.

The OC at Carolina could be a hard job. I don't know how much influence Larry has on the offensive scheme/philosophy but I feel like it's quite a bit. Could make it hard to get a really good OC if they feel Larry is going to micro manage everything on offense. I'm not saying this is the case but just wonder if it is. Kap just seems to try to do what he thinks Larry would do. I don't think that's a good scenario either. Kind of like a watered down Larry approach. Maybe Larry is grooming Heck, if he is he should go ahead and make him OC after the season. Would that cause problems with Kap? Would he make them Co-OCs - I don't really like the Co-?C scenario.
The offense will be fine

I hope so but this year shows that without great talent we have trouble moving the ball. We have been blessed at the skill positions until this year but there are signs the young guys will develop into really good talents.

My post was more about the OC than the offense though.

I hope so but this year shows that without great talent we have trouble moving the ball. We have been blessed at the skill positions until this year but there are signs the young guys will develop into really good talents.

My post was more about the OC than the offense though.
any coach would have trouble moving the ball with these qbs, WR that drop the ball when they finally learn how to get open, and OL that whiff against 4-man fronts.

That's true. Going 4 or 5 straight 3 and outs is more than pathetic though, even with the injuries and players we have on offense.

That's true. Going 4 or 5 straight 3 and outs is more than pathetic though, even with the injuries and players we have on offense.
Also, i agree, that's an interesting question regarding OC. There are probably several jobs around the country where that is a big deal cuz the HC is so heavily involved in his area of expertise.

Fed should just take on the OC duties himself, with a deputized OC to carry out what he wants when he has to attend to other head coaching duties in practice. Personally I'd prefer him just call the plays since its his offense.

Sorry was in the military. We go out a lot and dont have acess to t.v. or phones, and internet was limited. I remember losing to a bad sec team, almost beating clemson, then being blown out by baylor.

Don't sweat it - it's perfectly reasonable to assume that losing the last two games of the year, including having the coach piss down his leg and give up the most rushing yards in a game in NCAA Bowl history in a disappointing bowl loss would be enough to get dropped out of the rankings.

Don't sweat it - it's perfectly reasonable to assume that losing the last two games of the year, including having the coach piss down his leg and give up the most rushing yards in a game in NCAA Bowl history in a disappointing bowl loss would be enough to get dropped out of the rankings.
People keep forgetting how good that Baylor team was. I believe at one point they were first or second. Then they lost 3 QBs in the month of October and slipped at the end. They had a whole month to instill a new offense with monster Oline pushing around our defenders. We didn’t have the horses to match up with those guys.

1. Who will we hire instead?
2. What about our football history leads you to believe this?

Not even saying you're wrong. Just don't know who we are going to get that's going to win us our division two times in six years. Nothing in our football history suggests our next hire will do that. But I, too, was furious about the coaching yesterday, while sitting in the stands. The safety debacle was just that, a debacle.

There is only one name to keep in mind for the long term sustainable football in Chapel Hill that will not compete with or overshadow the basketball program:

JEFF MONKEN

There is only one name to keep in mind for the long term sustainable football in Chapel Hill that will not compete with or overshadow the basketball program:

JEFF MONKEN
LOL ok. I love Carolina Football more than anything but I will cry if we hire an option coach.

People keep forgetting how good that Baylor team was. I believe at one point they were first or second. Then they lost 3 QBs in the month of October and slipped at the end. They had a whole month to instill a new offense with monster Oline pushing around our defenders. We didn’t have the horses to match up with those guys.
Nazair missed that game due to injury. Dalton actually started instead of Clarke or dinkins. Powell was mostly de. Not a good dline.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
LOL ok. I love Carolina Football more than anything but I will cry if we hire an option coach.
Seriously. Army is averaging throwing less than 6 passes a game and not completing half of them. Not sure that’s going to put butts in the seats.

Seriously. Army is averaging throwing less than 6 passes a game and not completing half of them. Not sure that’s going to put butts in the seats.
Well, we are downsizing the stadium . . .

But seriously and more importantly than that, it won't get us recruits. Look at GT's recruiting classes. They're horrific. No one wants to play in that offense. Additionally, it's not a coincidence that Tech's defense has been bad since Paul Johnson got there. Common sense tells you that an option team's defense will suffer because they don't get to practice against their starting offense in practice.

Reactions: grillheel
I literally can't imagine anything worse than watching us run the option every Saturday.

Suit yourself.
Carolina needs to be able to have sustained success. Watching Larry's smoke and mirror football is the worst I have seen in the last 50 years.
No defense, can't run the ball consistently, crappy offensive line and reliant on trick plays.....that's not the way I want to continue to spend my Saturday afternoons.
I would much rather have a consistent winner than what we have now.

Suit yourself.
Carolina needs to be able to have sustained success. Watching Larry's smoke and mirror football is the worst I have seen in the last 50 years.
No defense, can't run the ball consistently, crappy offensive line and reliant on trick plays.....that's not the way I want to continue to spend my Saturday afternoons.
Get off my lawn!

Suit yourself.
I'm sorry you dislike winning. Let's go back to Butch and Shoop and lose games 17-13?

And please tell me which of our coaches not named Mack Brown have been consistent winners since, ever?

(BTW, look up Mack Brown's W/L record and then look up Larry Fedora's W/L record here, just for kicks and gigs).

Suit yourself.

Poor effort.

Calling the spread "smoke and mirrors football" is just silly. There's a reason that pretty much every top program now runs a similar system on offense.

Assuming that we would be a consistent winner just by switching to some BS system where we run literally four different plays the entire game, is also silly.

Poor effort.

Calling the spread "smoke and mirrors football" is just silly. There's a reason that pretty much every top program now runs a similar system on offense.

Assuming that we would be a consistent winner just by switching to some BS system where we run literally four different plays the entire game, is also silly.
Plus, not to mention, if we really wanted to go the triple option route, we wouldn't hire Jeff Monken. That would be like hiring the apprentice to try to defeat the master. Monken learned everything he knows from Paul Johnson.

Reactions: uncboy10
Plus, not to mention, if we really wanted to go the triple option route, we wouldn't hire Jeff Monken. That would be like hiring the apprentice to try to defeat the master. Monken learned everything he knows from Paul Johnson.

This poaster must be Monken himself... Not fooling me. :cool:

Since Fedora got the play book back in his hand, we've made remarkable improvement from where we were. It's not the offense but the horrendous play calling early in the season that crippled us, cost us a few games and then the injury bug gutted us mid-season.

But as guys have gotten experience and Fedora did what he should have done the first game, take over the play calling, we've advanced. Competed better and won a couple. Would have been nice to beat Miami which was certainly doable. Some costly mistakes are why we lost. We weren't just blown off the field by them like Notre Dame was.

All in all, despite our record, we weren't so far off from a winning season had we just made adjustments sooner, and that's certainly on Fedora but let's not get kooky. His offense ran like a beautiful well-oiled machine a couple of years ago and likely will again.

Play calling has always been an Achilles Heel with his teams. Hopefully he gets it straight and keeps it that way here on out.

Who said it was yours?

BTW most of McCauley's 1,720 came on option pitches in 1970 when Dooley was running a winged I formation.
How come more nfl teams don’t utilize this dominant offense you speak of?

How come more nfl teams don’t utilize this dominant offense you speak of?

Even Butch couldn't recruit well enough at Carolina to win with the power game.
We can recruit well enough and win consistently playing option football.
If the smoke and mirrors are not working, it puts too much pressure on the defense.
Army has had about 40 third downs with two or less yards to go for a first down this year.........They have made every one!!!

Even Butch couldn't recruit well enough at Carolina to win with the power game.
We can recruit well enough and win consistently playing option football.
If the smoke and mirrors are not working, it puts too much pressure on the defense.
Army has had about 40 third downs with two or less yards to go for a first down this year.........They have made every one!!!
Uh, maybe UNC football isn’t for you. Just saying

If UNC ever goes to an option offense, they're a 7-8 win team each year, nothing more. No way they come close to beating Miami or Clemson with it.

+1. I have less than zero interest watching that crap every weekend.
More than that, you simply can't win big with that style. As @MWHeels alludes to, ever wonder why GT never beats Clemson or Miami? It's because those two schools generally have NFL-level talent at DL and LB and they stuff the option attack at the line of scrimmage.

No team will EVER win big running the option in modern football.

More than that, you simply can't win big with that style. As @MWHeels alludes to, ever wonder why GT never beats Clemson or Miami? It's because those two schools generally have NFL-level talent at DL and LB and they stuff the option attack at the line of scrimmage.

Yeah, but in 1971..

Couldn't agree more. If this system were actually so effective then more top level programs would utilize it.

Kinda like they're doing now with the "smoke and mirrors."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT