ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Hubert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, this. People underestimate how much being well-liked goes for these "good ol' boy" type programs. People do nothing but slobber over how nice a guy Hubert is. Unless he manages to pull an '02 Doherty (even I think he's competent enough to not do that), I think this is exactly how it will go.

People who keep quoting the 2-3 year mark are likely going to be extremely disappointed. I assume they think because of Doherty. but that was a different circumstances and different time, from what I've read. It's my understanding that he was not well-liked and alienated a lot of guys within the program.

Regardless if he stays at the same level we are now or even gets a little worse, you'll see his buddies in the media and the alumni pull every excuse under the book to absolve him, whether it be racism or criticizing fans for being impatient and claiming he still needs more time. You already see some people doing that stuff now.
You're wrong. No way that UNC sits by and allows its basketball program to become a laughingstock, I don't care how well liked Hubert Davis is. It might not technically be a firing, but he'll be gone.

Sadly, this. People underestimate how much being well-liked goes for these "good ol' boy" type programs. People do nothing but slobber over how nice a guy Hubert is. Unless he manages to pull an '02 Doherty (even I think he's competent enough to not do that), I think this is exactly how it will go.

People who keep quoting the 2-3 year mark are likely going to be extremely disappointed. I assume they think because of Doherty. but that was a different circumstances and different time, from what I've read. It's my understanding that he was not well-liked and alienated a lot of guys within the program.

Regardless if he stays at the same level we are now or even gets a little worse, you'll see his buddies in the media and the alumni pull every excuse under the book to absolve him, whether it be racism or criticizing fans for being impatient and claiming he still needs more time. You already see some people doing that stuff now.
If we can infer how Hubert coaches from his public appearances, I'd guess his approach is "the power of positive thinking."

That's a great approach for building team chemistry and school loyalty, but Hubert might need to add a healthy dose of "tough love" to bring out the very best from some of our players.

Which raises the question: which of our players do you think could use tough love the most? I put Caleb high on that list. He certainly seems to have what it takes, but too often it seems like he can't be bothered.

Well Roy has left Carolina basketball with a highly interesting saga set to evolve over the next two seasons. Hubert came in and flipped the offensive script that Roy had put in place. Hubert pulled in two of the top transfers and the new offense was set to prosper in a team with top 10 talent(TOS list them as top 5/6). The outlook was high. The defense is little improved because it was not a focal point, installing this juggernaut offensive system got all the attention. Defense takes a back seat, its all about offense. It all looked great on paper but the offensive execution is poor and the defense has the same old issues.

These problems don't solve themselves and Roy said millions of times, if I would have known how to fix it, I would have. One thing that does not work(it failed for Roy and now Hubert has been trying the same approach all season long) is telling, vocalizing, expressing, recounting to the players about playing better.

Coaching is not "speaking" about execution, it is implementing it. Carolina basketball must get beyond the yearly routine postgame descriptions of lack of effort, enthusiasm, intensity. Its all about coaching.

Reactions: gobblercalls
Well Roy has left Carolina basketball with a highly interesting saga set to evolve over the next two seasons. Hubert came in and flipped the offensive script that Roy had put in place. Hubert pulled in two of the top transfers and the new offense was set to prosper in a team with top 10 talent(TOS list them as top 5/6). The outlook was high. The defense is little improved because it was not a focal point, installing this juggernaut offensive system got all the attention. Defense takes a back seat, its all about offense. It all looked great on paper but the offensive execution is poor and the defense has the same old issues.

These problems don't solve themselves and Roy said millions of times, if I would have known how to fix it, I would have. One thing that does not work(it failed for Roy and now Hubert has been trying the same approach all season long) is telling, vocalizing, expressing, recounting to the players about playing better.

Coaching is not "speaking" about execution, it is implementing it. Carolina basketball must get beyond the yearly routine postgame descriptions of lack of effort, enthusiasm, intensity. Its all about coaching.
and what separates UNC from ncsux, WFU, Indiana, and all the rest of cbb is coaching. While we have had Dean, Guthridge, and Roy, they've had Robinson, Sendek, Lowe, Gottfried, and Valvano, or Tacy, Staack, Gaudio, and Manning, etc. Coaching hires count and UNC is where they are because of hitting home run coaching hires. We have found the proverbial needle in the haystack twice while most schools just keep stumbling around in the barn. Hubert Davis......tbd?

You're wrong. No way that UNC sits by and allows its basketball program to become a laughingstock, I don't care how well liked Hubert Davis is. It might not technically be a firing, but he'll be gone.
You have far too much confidence in the rationality of the people in charge. They've already shown they're willing to let the program stagnate and struggle by hiring someone who they knew was going to struggle the moment he got the job and have said as such.
vs. conducting a proper search, interviewing more than 1-2 candidates outside of the family, or even hiring the best candidate in the family. Familiarity is more important than winning here to some.

He's not going to get canned unless he just goes full Matt Doherty, which is also unlikely. What's more likely is we see more of what we've seen the last couple of years: Middle of the pack team; A team that would be considered "good" by lesser programs, but not up to the standard of what we know as good. Insignificant improvement, But his buddies within the alumni and the media will just spin it as elitist fans being impatient to the media and that he needs more time, which he will get, because fan opinion doesn't mean jack shit unless they voice it with their wallets (they won't).

I'd love to be wrong. Whether that be about Hubert's abilities to get us back where we want to be, or that we'll cut our losses sooner than later. I don't think I am.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Love me some Jawad. He's a fine man who I'm proud to say was a part of UNC. I agree to an extent, in that UNC Basketball is about more than winning...........but winning has ALWAYS been a big part of the formula. You can be "family" all day long, but if you're a loser, not only does no one care, but you also look like a fool.

If the Carolina family can't survive adding a new family member, then I have to question how strong of a family it is. The only reason it would fall is if the players allowed it to. So, they could bitch and moan or honor Dean by proving it can survive.

Reactions: gauchoheel
If the Carolina family can't survive adding a new family member, then I have to question how strong of a family it is. The only reason it would fall is if the players allowed it to. So, they could bitch and moan or honor Dean by proving it can survive.
You mean adding a new family member like a coach from outside the "circle"? I totally agree. If it's that unwelcoming, it's more of a cult than a family.

and what separates UNC from ncsux, WFU, Indiana, and all the rest of cbb is coaching. While we have had Dean, Guthridge, and Roy, they've had Robinson, Sendek, Lowe, Gottfried, and Valvano, or Tacy, Staack, Gaudio, and Manning, etc. Coaching hires count and UNC is where they are because of hitting home run coaching hires. We have found the proverbial needle in the haystack twice while most schools just keep stumbling around in the barn. Hubert Davis......tbd?
UNC won't settle for Sendek, even though 2/3 of colleges would be happy with his record.

Gut and Gaudio actually had good records, but couldn't prove that they could sustain their respective programs through recruiting.

You have far too much confidence in the rationality of the people in charge. They've already shown they're willing to let the program stagnate and struggle by hiring someone who they knew was going to struggle the moment he got the job and have said as such.
vs. conducting a proper search, interviewing more than 1-2 candidates outside of the family, or even hiring the best candidate in the family. Familiarity is more important than winning here to some.

He's not going to get canned unless he just goes full Matt Doherty, which is also unlikely. What's more likely is we see more of what we've seen the last couple of years: Middle of the pack team; A team that would be considered "good" by lesser programs, but not up to the standard of what we know as good. Insignificant improvement, But his buddies within the alumni and the media will just spin it as elitist fans being impatient to the media and that he needs more time, which he will get, because fan opinion doesn't mean jack shit unless they voice it with their wallets (they won't).

I'd love to be wrong. Whether that be about Hubert's abilities to get us back where we want to be, or that we'll cut our losses sooner than later. I don't think I am.

Hard to argue with that and you are correct that fans have all the power to force decisions but it takes them not buying tickets to make it happen. So much of the non-revenue sports rely on basketball to fund UNC athletics and nothing forces AD’s to act quicker than financial impact.

I have thought about this many times. The family thing becomes pretty silly when you consider that every single player and coach was not part of the family until they played or coached at Carolina. So if they can be adopted into the family why can’t someone else?

Boy talk about a 180. Did Hubert cut you from the payroll?
I never wanted Davis to be the coach. But, I know he IS the coach and I know he will be the coach for a few years, at least. Just because you and the other crybabies choose to throw hissy-fits on here doesn't mean I have to everyone has to. It's a mess.

It's not a 180 at all.

FACT 1
Hubert’s career goal or aspiration was not to be a coach. It was to work in media as a bball analyst.

FACT 2
Why did HD return to Carolina as an assistant? Because Roy asked him.

FACT 3
Why did HD become head coach of Carolina bball? Because Roy asked him.

Think of all the GOATS. They were not asked. They took it.

Nobody should be surprised that Davis seems clueless as to how this mess came about and how to correct it. He has done nothing but be an assistant to Roy while Roy was slowly slipping.

The Roy of 2021 most certainly was not the Roy of even 2019, who was not the Roy of 2015, who was not the Roy of 2012. Hubert Davis was picked by Roy to sit at his feet and learn to replace him at the time Roy was slipping.

Davis needed to leave UNC and be HC at some lower level program for at least 3 years before entertaining taking on such a job. UNC needed to have done a real search for such a prestigious program.

I never wanted Davis to be the coach. But, I know he IS the coach and I know he will be the coach for a few years, at least. Just because you and the other crybabies choose to throw hissy-fits on here doesn't mean I have to everyone has to. It's a mess.

It's not a 180 at all.

How many years do you think?

Reactions: NorCalTarheel
1/2 a season in. Ugly losses. Still all in with Hubert. Damn sure got work ahead of him now for this season. This season is far from done though.

How many years do you think?
More than this season and next season. I really don't know and what I think doesn't amount to jack squat.

I can't even tell how much of this is the coaching. This group of guys seems totally disinterested in playing AS a team.

How many times do you have to see an opponent isolate a defender and drive straight to the rim for a layup before you change the fricking defense?

Meanwhile Hubert is currently giving the same lame non-answers to the press. Blaming toughness, saying Wake just played better. Dude your defense has been bad all year. Change something.

More than this season and next season. I really don't know and what I think doesn't amount to jack squat.

I can't even tell how much of this is the coaching. This group of guys seems totally disinterested in playing AS a team.

Wow, I was hoping it would only be this season and next.

This in theory should be a better roster than last year's and I thought last year we improved from the start of the season to the end. This year we are going to wrong way!

Reactions: alabamaheel
Wow, I was hoping it would only be this season and next.
I guess that's possible. But, he would really have to tank next season and have no recruits on the way. And, there would have to be serious pressure from other sources. My crystal ball is broken. I never wanted him as the coach anyway.

UNC fans are impatient as hell anyway. No matter who the coach was, if you lose like they're losing, it's going to be "Pull the plug."

If Wes Miller were the coach and they were getting whipped by 20+ in every loss, they'd piss and moan about not hiring some ringer like Mark Few- which was a pipe dream, too.

It's not a 180 at all.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT