ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness Carolina vs Wisconsin game thread Friday 19 March 2021

Good news: Both Bacot and Sharp might return next year; they gd but they got work to do.

Bad news: Brook/Leaky/Platec might take the covid free year. Ouch!!! :(
The situation with Leaky Black will be talked about all Summer at nauseam. If this team is to be where they can be (IMO a FF team) they can't have Leaky Black in his current role.
J.P. Tokoto saw the writing on the wall with Justin Jackson, we just gotta hope Roy will allow a better player to take the majority of those min at the 3.
I don't know if that player is Harris? Puff? Walton or a player yet to be signed. I do know that position must change before next season.
Dawson Garcia is probably not ideal to play 25 minutes at the 3, but WOJO is gone at Marquette and Garcia could finally be ours.

Reactions: chickenhunter
Need more than one dude that can hit a 3. Sheesh
And somehow that only guy who is worth a sht at all on perimeter takes 4 shots and makes 2 (3s). Awesome. Meanwhile love and RJ and leaky place enough bricks to rebuild the Great Wall of China.
Love and RJ get 15 on about 20% shooting. Their counterparts go off for 50. That may be a problem.

our guards need to put in about 60 hours of work a week against competition this Summer. Miles to go just to be above average ACC players. They got their asses straight up handed to them. They should be embarrassed. They should look at who beat them and see what it means to be an actual basketball player - not some Jack it up “athlete”.

And somehow that only guy who is worth a sht at all on perimeter takes 4 shots and makes 2 (3s). Awesome. Meanwhile love and RJ and leaky place enough bricks to rebuild the Great Wall of China.
Love and RJ get 15 on about 20% shooting. Their counterparts go off for 50. That may be a problem.

our guards need to put in about 60 hours of work a week against competition this Summer. Miles to go just to be above average ACC players. They got their asses straight up handed to them. They should be embarrassed. They should look at who beat them and see what it means to be an actual basketball player - not some Jack it up “athlete”.

I would not be sad if Love moved on.

Reactions: Heelicious
Pretty disappointing that over the last three years we missed the NCAA tournament once and absolutely got embarrassed the other two and haven’t been to the elite 8 since 2017.

Roy is going to have to look in the mirror, make adjustments, recruit to the teams needs better and maybe shakeup the staff of “yes” men sitting on the bench.

Someone asked Roy to call a timeout in first half too. Everyone please remember - Roy has proudly (?wtaf?!😡) told us ad nauseum that he has zero fking idea what the score is any time in the game until about five minutes left to go. Freaking genius strategery.

If I was the head coach and didnt know what the score was I think I would at least realize how stupid is it to tell anyone that I didnt know what they score was.

You forget last year? Also whatever year we suffered under Matt. This is just as bad though.
Was totally prepared for last season to be a rebuilding year after losing almost all our scoring from '19. Then there were the injuries. Doherty's second year was bad, but we lost a lot from the previous season, including Forte's unexpected exit. That left us with nothing offensively and I was prepared for a struggle, especially when it felt like an inexperienced coach had no answer.

Thought that Sharpe and Love in particular would be huge contributors, and was pleasantly surprised by Walton and Davis in early parts of the season. I thought it was obvious we had some nice pieces this year. Just never figured out how to use them.

I don’t think ppl realize that Wisconsin has some bigs too and they are all strong seniors..Brooks plays like he’s 6’3, KESSLER has moments but he’s so weak! Sharpe and Bacot are beasts but are not disciplined and have low ball IQ’s! We need everyone to stay to be successful next year (not Platek and Brooks) and I’m not sure that will happen! Also as long as Black is playing 25 to 30 minutes we are screwed

I understand that but good lord put up an effort to at least make it semi hard not just move out of the way.

I can't understand, especially given our post-centric offense, why we can't get a team full of shooters. We just played a team FULL of shooters and we have exactly ONE. Shooters should flock here knowing our inside out style of offense only works if we have shooters to keep our bigs from being doubled and tripled.

And, this was a weird season all around. Covid-19 did a lot of damage to the whole process. The season was limping along the entire time. I just hope those freshmen all return. I don't really like Caleb Love, but he's not a complete liability. He's just not devoted to the team he's playing for.

And, this was a weird season all around. Covid-19 did a lot of damage to the whole process. The season was limping along the entire time. I just hope those freshmen all return. I don't really like Caleb Love, but he's not a complete liability. He's just not devoted to the team he's playing for.

Love SEEMS to have attitude that he thinks he is good. That never works out well on a team. Coby for example just played and I never got that same vibe. Both freshmen and both 5 star.

Love SEEMS to have attitude that he thinks he is good. That never works out well on a team. Coby for example just played and I never got that same vibe. Both freshmen and both 5 star.
He's not as committed to UNC and Coach Williams. He's thinking ahead instead of right now.

I don't think the problems are with Coach Williams. But, I do think Roy's retirement is drawing very near.

A few things should be clear from this game and games like Marquette, UVA, Syracuse. We need perimeter players who can: make shots, take care of the ball, make smart passes, guard their guy one on one (no helping off 3 line).
There are dozens of kids who can do this that come in as freshmen each year. 3 and 4 stars who are smart and coachable - not AAU ruined 5 star alleged OAD magnets. And we don’t need 4-5 immobile bigs on the roster. What other team has even 3 bigs who can’t play outside the paint (and all play super soft in the paint).

Either Roy really is done - or he is smart enough to take a good hard look at what needs to change. You get your teeth kicked in three tourneys in a row - it’s time for some self assessment and time for changes. It is not some one time anomaly. It is a trend including the half dozen at least games this year where we came out like weak dumb pu—ies and the game was over really by halftime.

it would help if there was one guy on this team on the court who could be a leader. I give Kerwin and dayron and ant a pass. But if brooks and leaky - and love and RJ are too straight up stupid to do what Roy tells them to - 10 seconds after her tells them to - how do you go forward with them.? How does that change? They have single digit iqs or zero heart - or both.

Reactions: uncfootball-
That is a great quote. I agree with the last line too. The last line - how do you go to battle with a guy is really stupid and / or out for himself. He hasn’t shown me anything this year to show me he (Love) is coachable. No way I see him drafted though either.

Not sure what was missing from this team other than intelligence but something was missing.

After some time to think about it maybe the problem is very easy to figure out. Seems that just maybe some of these guys are playing for the name on the back of the jersey not the front of it. Play for the front and the back will be taken care of in the process. Didn’t Dean stress this to players all the time? Putting that North Carolina jersey on his an honor (one I would love to have had too). Take it more serious no matter how long one chooses to stay at God’s place on earth.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
If Love leaves, who can play the point? Styles nor Dunn are PG's. If Love leaves, like many seem to wish, we will be worse next year.

Now, if Leaky leaves, really no big lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT