ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Offseason Thread

Which is exactly why they need help in the backfield.

Read between the lines...by all indications, last season was a complete disaster for Carolina. Ron Rivera said multiple times that the offense needed to "evolve" -- read into that what you will, but I took that as a warning to Mike Shula that Cam Newton cannot survive in this league when he's getting hit in the head every other play. They desperately need a running attack not named Cam, and it's a guarantee that J.Stew will miss 25% of the season with some type of injury. Cam Newton should be A running threat...not THE running threat.

Y'all know my stance that the Panthers need to let Cam run more not less, otherwise he will never play at his max potential. And you've seen how I've backed up with stats that Cam runs less now than he did earlier in his Panthers' career.

That research took maybe 30 minutes. Yet it's amazing to me how smart football people cannot help but parrot the same group think about players. Last night after McCaffrey was picked, even uber smart Mike Mayock said "well good, I think this is a sign that the Panthers want to get Cam running it less." Dude, he doesn't run now. He has taken all the vicious shots because his OL cannot protect him. Rarely does he get smashed up on a play where he's running the ball (game at Atlanta last season is a notable exception)

Y'all know my stance that the Panthers need to let Cam run more not less, otherwise he will never play at his max potential. And you've seen how I've backed up with stats that Cam runs less now than he did earlier in his Panthers' career.

His potential is useless when he's stuck in the concussion protocol for weeks-on-end.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I don't necessarily disagree with that, but in order for him to run the ball more effectively, he needs more weapons (threats) with him to draw attention. And yeah, most people don't realize that he takes the vicious hits when he stands back in the pocket and not as much when he runs. When he runs, it's mostly just another tackle. When his OL isn't protecting him or when he just simply holds onto the ball for too long, he gets his head knocked off.

With that said though, it does seem like the plan is to have him run less, which I don't know if I agree with. Good things happen when Cam runs the ball, and I don't think anyone can deny that. I just hope good things happen when McCaffery gets the ball via a run, screen or whatever, because we're gonna need it.

His potential is useless when he's stuck in the concussion protocol for weeks-on-end.
One of which he suffered from vicious sacks against Denver. Sacks, as in trying to pass the ball.

If he's allowed to run on designed runs, he's a huge man and will deliver a better blow than he'll take.

And yeah, most people don't realize that he takes the vicious hits when he stands back in the pocket and not as much when he runs. When he runs, it's mostly just another tackle. When his OL isn't protecting him or when he just simply holds onto the ball for too long, he gets his head knocked off.

With that said though, it does seem like the plan is to have him run less, which I don't know if I agree with. Good things happen when Cam runs the ball, and I don't think anyone can deny that. I just hope good things happen when McCaffery gets the ball via a run, screen or whatever, because we're gonna need it.
Exactly. This is my exact point. If the Panthers try to morph him completely into a glued-in-the-pocket Peyton Manning type of QB, he will never, ever play to his max potential and thus the Panthers will never reach the promised land.

Like you said, good things happen when he runs. Gus Malzahn's offense at Auburn is intentionally designed so the quarterback is extremely mobile and his dangerous run threat opens up passing opportunities. That is how Cam dominated at Auburn.

As for McCaffrey, I think he'll be phenomenal at Carolina. As a receiver and returner, he's a better version of Ryan Switzer, to be perfectly blunt, and as a running back, he's still big enough and strong enough and fast enough to handle a full load as a running back.

I'm halfway agreeing with you. My point is, again, he should be A threat, not THE threat. There's a big difference.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I'm halfway agreeing with you. My point is, again, he should be A threat, not THE threat. There's a big difference.
Well yeah, he won't be the only threat. That's why you have running backs and why they drafted McCaffrey. But he still needs to be the 1B threat. He touches the ball every play.

Sounds like even though McCaffery will probably be a really good player - that they would have been better served by getting OL help in the first round. Protecting Cam when he's throwing rather than getting another running option.

Sounds like even though McCaffery will probably be a really good player - that they would have been better served by getting OL help in the first round. Protecting Cam when he's throwing rather than getting another running option.
Ideally you'd like to do both. If the Panthers can get Robinson or Lamp (don't know which exact OL position Carolina needs), that would be ideal for Carolina.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I do wish I had more skin in the game last night - it was ok following along but I didn't have much to root for since the Patriots had already used the #32 overall pick on Brandin Cooks.
The Trubisky aspect really kept me hooked because of the chaos it created. And then of course, my team has a pick in the round and happened to get (IMO) a BEAST in O.J. Howard.

The Trubisky aspect really kept me hooked because of the chaos it created. And then of course, my team has a pick in the round and happened to get (IMO) a BEAST in O.J. Howard.

Ya, I mean don't get me wrong, I like the Cooks trade and think he's more valuable than anyone who was on the board at #32 (and a lot of the guys taken before then too). But there's something cool about sitting in anticipation of who your 1st round pick will be, watching him get his name called and walking up to shake Bozo's hand and get a jersey/hat.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I hope the Panthers offense does evolve, such that Newton isn't holding onto the ball forever waiting for those big receivers to get open (even though they aren't great at getting separation). With McAffery, I feel they can use him in space either out of the backfield or in the slot. They need to get the ball out of Cam's hands quicker, and reduce the burden on the OL and potential for Newton getting blasted relentlessly while running for his life.

^ I disagree that they need to "reduce the burden on the OL." That's an approach that college coaches take to offset bad OL talent. You can't do that in the NFL though. NFL pass rushers (interior too, not just edge) are too good. If you don't have strong tackles, at a minimum, you're fukked. You gotta just bite the bullet and draft elite OLmen.

As for your receivers, I like the point about you making that they're not very good. I'm very confused as to why they drafted Funchess. That pick made no sense to me. He's basically just a worse version of Kelvin Benjamin. And then you go out and "supplement" your receiver corps with retreads like Ted Ginn and old ass Jericho Cotchery?! That makes no sense. You need a speed guy to go with your tall wide out and your stud tight end. Hopefully, McCaffrey will turn into a better version of Ginn in the receiving game and then will be a legit threat as a running back too. If he can be their Devonta Freeman (+ being a returner), that will be a slam dunk win for the Panthers.

But yeah, IMO, Panthers have a lot of holes to address. OL, DL, DBs, and better receiver (?)

The Bears basically just got all their picks back that they gave up for Trubisky, so Chicago fans can calm the F down now.

In essence, all Chicago gave up now to get Trubisky is their third round pick this year.

ETA: Nvm, Eisen steered me wrong. At this point, they've still given up a third this year and a third next year.

Last edited:
Well, at least the Bengals continue their tradition of not giving a shyte about character - should've figured they would be the ones to draft Joe Mixon.

So the Panthers got a tackle from Western Michigan named Taylor Moton. Gives us some depth if Matt Kalil gets hurt again, which I'm pretty worried that he will.

Carolina trades up and grabs the "other" DE from Texas A&M. Assuming the thought is he learns this year from Peppers and C.Johnson. Nice draft so far from DG.

^ I disagree that they need to "reduce the burden on the OL." That's an approach that college coaches take to offset bad OL talent. You can't do that in the NFL though. NFL pass rushers (interior too, not just edge) are too good. If you don't have strong tackles, at a minimum, you're fukked. You gotta just bite the bullet and draft elite OLmen.

As for your receivers, I like the point about you making that they're not very good. I'm very confused as to why they drafted Funchess. That pick made no sense to me. He's basically just a worse version of Kelvin Benjamin. And then you go out and "supplement" your receiver corps with retreads like Ted Ginn and old ass Jericho Cotchery?! That makes no sense. You need a speed guy to go with your tall wide out and your stud tight end. Hopefully, McCaffrey will turn into a better version of Ginn in the receiving game and then will be a legit threat as a running back too. If he can be their Devonta Freeman (+ being a returner), that will be a slam dunk win for the Panthers.

But yeah, IMO, Panthers have a lot of holes to address. OL, DL, DBs, and better receiver (?)
Yes the Panthers need to upgrade the OL. But when I said "reduce the burden", I meant situations where they have to hold their blocks forever as Cam waits for those lumbering WR's to get open. Even the greatest OL's can't protect their QB but so long. My hope is that Shula will use McAffery similar to how the Falcons use Freeman, so Cam can get the ball out of his hands quicker.

1o4tzs.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT