ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Offseason Thread

cook

eta: or howard...but i'll take howard if not, ;)
The Bucs were always gonna take Cook because 95% of Bucs fans are FSU fans on Saturdays. Cook will be good for a few games before he gets arrested.

The FSU - Tampa Bay dynamic is unlike any in the NFL. That franchise is beholden to the Seminoles.

The Bucs were always gonna take Cook because 95% of Bucs fans are FSU fans on Saturdays. Cook will be good for a few games before he gets arrested.

The FSU - Tampa Bay dynamic is unlike any in the NFL. That franchise is beholden to the Seminoles.
What an idiot this guy is. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Howard pick.

i thought allen's shoulders were okay...apparently, not...he might be a one contract dude that doesn't play in all 16 in each year...i like him, but he just doesn't fit my team's scheme.

howard is a stud...he'll make your offense outstanding.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
18118651_1476519902394693_8640838459410061161_n.jpg

I'm still lost on what the Browns are doing. Yes, they acquired three good players, but....they still didn't get a QB. They're papering over the cracks. Without a QB, you're nothing. The only way they'd be able to pry Cousins from Washington is if they give the Skins A LOT of picks, and that flies in the face of what the Browns are trying to do.

I hope, for the Brown's sake, that they didn't like Trubisky as much as they gave off signs they did. Because if Trubisky really was their guy, and they let another team slip in and get him, that's badddd news. I like this writer's take on it in list item #2: LINK

I'm still lost on what the Browns are doing. Yes, they acquired three good players, but....they still didn't get a QB.
They are building a team. I think you are the only person on this board that doesn't realize you have to play 16 regular season games.

They're papering over the cracks.
No, they are doing the exact opposite. Picking a QB and throwing him out there to get sacked 50 times a game and have no one to throw the ball to would be papering over cracks.

Without a QB, you're nothing.
In the post season you are correct. The Browns won one game this year. They aren't going to the post season unless they trade for Tom Brady. Their goal right now should be get to get to .500. You get there by getting a team together that will keep your QB from getting killed and then draft your QB.

They are building a team. I think you are the only person on this board that doesn't realize you have to play 16 regular season games.

No, they are doing the exact opposite. Picking a QB and throwing him out there to get sacked 50 times a game and have no one to throw the ball to would be papering over cracks.

In the post season you are correct. The Browns won one game this year. They aren't going to the post season unless they trade for Tom Brady. Their goal right now should be get to get to .500. You get there by getting a team together that will keep your QB from getting killed and then draft your QB.
They had two first round picks and plenty of later picks to use to draft back in to the 1st round again. They could've still gotten Trubisky and a couple good pieces.

To me, it seems like they got caught with their pants down and didn't think Chicago would get Trubisky at 2. Once they happened, Cleveland had to go to a Plan B IMO.

If they take a QB in the first round next year, then they're just waiting another year to start the clock on the QB development. And remember, Cleveland opted not to take Wentz last year. All of the draft gurus like Mike Mayock have pretty much said it was fairly easy to evaluate Carson Wentz as the best QB in last year's draft and as franchise QB caliber. Cleveland balked. This year.... they balked again.

Sports media never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. I'm seeing a lot of this on interwebz by sportswriters: "This is a quarterback who lost to Duke and NC State last year."

Oh... did Trubisky play 1 vs 11 in those two games? You don't think that... maybe... just maybe, it's a team game and our defense got smashed in the first game and couldn't stop simple QB draws from their backup QB? Yet, I see no mention of how Trubisky did single-handedly beat Pitt and Florida State for us. Haven't seen that game-winning :32 drive referenced once. Haters gonna hate.

If they take a QB in the first round next year, then they're just waiting another year to start the clock on the QB development.
It's a lot easier to develop a QB when you can keep him upright and have people who can catch the ball.

Oh... did Trubisky play 1 vs 11 in those two games? You don't think that... maybe... just maybe, it's a team game
LMFAO. This is the exact argument I've been making about why the Browns were smart not to take a QB this year.

It's a lot easier to develop a QB when you can keep him upright and have people who can catch the ball.
People who can catch the ball. Well if that's what they're going for, they swung and missed so far. They drafted two defensive players and then a TE who has huge potential but is only 20 and won't be ready for a few years.

LMFAO. This is the exact argument I've been making about why the Browns were smart not to take a QB this year.
You seem to be obsessed with thinking once they draft a QB, they'll just hand away the rest of their picks and say "nah we're good" and won't make any other picks in the whole fukking draft. They will still make other picks. You can get starters at skill positions in later rounds. But the best QBs in each draft (generally speaking) go in the 1st round.

Last edited:
To my point, all of the following starting QBs who have cachet as a current star or a budding star were drafted in the first round:

Winston, Rodgers, Carr, Newton, Wentz, E. Manning, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Luck. That's 10 off the top of my head. That's a third of the league. For every Brady and Russell Wilson, there's way more franchise player type starters who are first round picks.

I'm just saying I think it's dumb the Browns are adding good pieces before addressing QB.

I like what the Browns are doing this year, adding quality pieces to their team, perhaps they weren't high on any of these QB's so build up the rest of the team, and next year they got plenty of picks to trade up and get s QB if they desire

Reactions: tarheel0910
maybe they are trying their version of "organic tanking"...i really have no problem with what cleveland did, other than peppers...if they can make him a strong safety, then maybe he's a fantastic value...next years qb class probably has three top 10 players.

i know this...there are qb's that are getting to and winning sb's that aren't elite...i can name them and so can you guys...you can also be a good team that makes the playoffs without elite qb's.

you cannot sniff the playoffs without a good players though...whether or not they get them via a draft is truly up to their scouts.

Late to this thread today, but McCaffery is a solid pick. Addressed kick return, RB, and slot WR...with the same pick. The guy is a swiss army knife, and hearing DG compare his mental approach to Luke K's....that says enough.

The Browns are intriguing, to me...I know they need a QB, but they are putting some solid pieces on their team. I heard one person on the radio this AM make a good point too, regarding the Peppers pick...sometimes, you throw all of these measurements out the window and just pick a "football player"...every time they show highlights on Michigan games, Peppers is all over the field. Some players just have a knack for the game and you can ignore their 40-time, vertical jump, etc.

McCaffery is a solid player, but they coulda traded down and gotten him later in the draft and scooped up some more picks in the process.

The Browns are gonna Browns. It doesn't matter if/when they draft a QB - they will suck perpetually because they don't know how to run a franchise.

McCaffery is a solid player, but they coulda traded down and gotten him later in the draft and scooped up some more picks in the process.

I disagree -- there was a ton of chatter that their only possible trade down was to #12, and New Orleans (sitting at #11) was in love with McCaffery. You can't take that risk of not only losing your top option, but having to watch your division rival take him.

I disagree -- there was a ton of chatter that their only possible trade down was to #12, and New Orleans (sitting at #11) was in love with McCaffery. You can't take that risk of not only losing your top option, but having to watch your division rival take him.

I didn't think the Panthers were hurting for players that can run the ball, but it'll be interesting to see how they use him.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Apparently Cleveland was barking up the Pats tree for Jimmy again last night but they were told he wasn't moving. I hope more details come out on that.

I didn't think the Panthers were hurting for players that can run the ball, but it'll be interesting to see how they use him.

They let Mike Tolbert walk, and J.Stew isn't getting any younger. I was fine with Fournette or McCaffery, but when Jacksonville took LF, it was a no-brainer. McCaffery has the ability to be a game-changer in that system Carolina runs...you simply cannot pass on that chance.

They let Mike Tolbert walk, and J.Stew isn't getting any younger. I was fine with Fournette or McCaffery, but when Jacksonville took LF, it was a no-brainer. McCaffery has the ability to be a game-changer in that system Carolina runs...you simply cannot pass on that chance.
Yeah, Jonathan Stewart is on his way over the hill, and other than him, it's Cameron Artis-Payne and Fozzy Whittaker. Needless to say, the Panthers need weapons, and McCaffery gives them exactly what they need.

Two questions about the McCaffrey pick from somebody who doesn't pay much attention to the draft.

One, are there questions about his durability? He's not a particularly big dude. I'm wondering about the hits he's gonna take in the NFL, especially if he's on the field for both offense and special teams.

Second, why not Dalvin Cook?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT