ADVERTISEMENT

Seahawks with a brain fart

GACMAN

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2004
the pass call verses running the ball will be debated for months if not years…..I was blown away when they threw the ball instead of running it myself….never thought they would do anything different!!! Did the Seattle coaches over think that play or just screw up!!!! of course credit to the Patriots D for making a HUGE play to secure the victory!!!

The Patriots were crowding the middle with eight defenders which might be their excuse for not running it up the gut, but with the game on the line it makes even less sense to force a throw into traffic. If nothing else, Russell Wilson should have rolled out with the option of running the ball in or passing to the back of the end zone. Terrible, terrible play call.

Seahawks really embarrassed themselves in the sb and playoffs. Lynch with his crotch grabs and idiotic press reaction, pooping the ball after td's, the taunting and sucker punches at the end. Totally classless. I was neutral on the game to begin with but i am delighted today they lost.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Heels Noir:
The Patriots were crowding the middle with eight defenders which might be their excuse for not running it up the gut, but with the game on the line it makes even less sense to force a throw into traffic. If nothing else, Russell Wilson should have rolled out with the option of running the ball in or passing to the back of the end zone. Terrible, terrible play call.
THIS.

I was thinking the very same thing when this happened. First, it was 2nd and goal from the 1 and 20 seconds left. Seattle still has one TO and you KNOW NE will have to burn one if it ticks down any closer just in case. Odds are in your favor.

To me, I would have gone to Lynch on 2nd down and IF he didn't get in, THEN I might go with a pass play, but I would have rolled Wilson outside the pocket so he would have the option to take off if he needed to. No one touched him the entire night and even with a short field, I like my chances. He could have gone almost to the goal line and still thrown it away without a penalty if he didn't think he could get in, killing the clock and setting up a 4th and goal. At that point you could maybe get creative, but I would still take my chances with Lynch, who had been running it very well all night.

Even if that failed and they lost you tip your hat to the NE defense for manning up and stopping Lynch, but you don't throw into traffic like Wilson did. I am not sure I would have wanted Brady making that throw and he is a much better pinpoint passer that Wilson is. Logic tells you that IF you are going to throw it you call a play where there is little chance to have an INT, like a fade route to the back corner or something like that.

I can't believe Pete made that call.

One thing that's getting overlooked is.......WHY THE HECK wasn't Bellichick/the Patriots calling a timeout before that pass play??? I couldn't figure that out one bit. The Patriots were letting the Seahawks bleed so much clock that Brady wouldn't have had enough time to orchestrate a FG drive after the (you'd assume) Sehawks touchdown.

Just a wild, wild last couple minutes. If the Seahawks had punched it in there, people would have been absolutely blasting Bellichick and the Pats for clock management.

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
You cant tell me butler didnt know that play was coming. He broke for the spot before the receiver did! How he knew? Hmmmmm
Posted from Rivals Mobile
FWIW, on Mike & Mike this morning they said the Pats had practiced for that play earlier in the week and Butler got burned for the TD in practice. Credit goes to Browner for jamming up Kearse; otherwise Butler doesn't have a clear lane to jump the pass route.

Dude made a Superman play with the interception ! Carroll said had the pass been incomplete they would have still have the option to put it in the hands of the Beast. Go back a couple of plays if it not for that crazy unbelievable catch on the ground the Hawks may have turned the ball over at midfield due to not getting a first down. It was the most bizarre ending to a game i have ever scene.

It was the lesser of two evils SBowl The Seahawks have always IMO been a bunch of no class punks. Sherman and his crew are GREAT GREAT PLAYERS but man do they just mouth off and act in such a piss poor way. the brawl at the end was typical of their team.

The last play was am EPIC and I mean EPIC monumental disaster. A play call that was so bad it will live in infamy forEVER and it should.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Originally posted by lovetheHeels!:
Stuff like that makes me think pro sports are rigged. Probably the worst call in Super Bowl history given the situation.
Actually, not really. This article explains why. Better chance of scoring on a pass in that situation than on a run - so say the numbers.
A pass play perhaps, but that pass play no. I would agree if they tried a pass play that had a very low chance of being picked like a fade or a flag route/back shoulder throw, but that pass play was horrible. Quick slant into traffic with no read made by Wilson. Terrible call, worst I have seen in the Super Bowl given the situation.

Stuff like that makes me think pro sports are rigged. Probably the worst call in Super Bowl history given the situation.
Actually, not really. This article explains why. Better chance of scoring on a pass in that situation than on a run - so say the numbers.
I also saw where the Seahawks were #2 in scoring in the NFL from inside the 2 yard line while the Patriots were the 2nd worst in the NFL on defense within the 2 year line...have to know and understand the situation!

Marshawn Lynch gets paid the big bucks to carry the ball into the endzone, and he's been doing it all year and ever since he's been in Seattle. You have to give it to him.

Originally posted by coolwaterunc:
Marshawn Lynch gets paid the big bucks to carry the ball into the endzone,
Really? I thought he was their public relations guy.

Originally posted by GACMAN:

I also saw where the Seahawks were #2 in scoring in the NFL from inside the 2 yard line while the Patriots were the 2nd worst in the NFL on defense within the 2 year line...have to know and understand the situation!
Of the 5 handoffs to Lynch from inside the 1-yard line this season, he only scored once. That's from ESPN Stats and Info.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

WHY THE HECK wasn't Bellichick/the Patriots calling a timeout before that pass play???
That was certainly a head scratcher as it all went down. It looks like a calculated risk where Belichick was hoping the game and play clocks winding down might force the Seahawks to make a poor decision or horrible mistake.

Call it dumb luck or pure genius, but damn if it didn't work.

10734060_10205925202630709_3754978975960613197_n.jpg

Originally posted by Heels Noir:
This is EXACTLY what I would have called. You don't force it into traffic unless it's 4th down. On the play that was called, it seemed like Lynch wasn't even in a run formation, he bolted to the left on the play as if he was going to be a receiver on the call.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Originally posted by GACMAN:

Of the 5 handoffs to Lynch from inside the 1-yard line this season, he only scored once. That's from ESPN Stats and Info.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
And of the 24 runs that Lynch had in that Super Bowl, 22 of them were for positive yards and the other 2 were plays that resulted in no gain (so he was never tackled for a loss). The odds of him getting stuffed twice in a row when he was stuffed only twice in the previous 24 carries is pretty slim.

I was pretty upset by both teams lack of class. I hated my team for starting it and I hated New England's reaction. I'm a little surprised that Gronk didn't get tossed because it seems like he was throwing punches like Irvin did (not that it had any outcome of the game). Irvin is now the one with the dubious honor of being the only NFL player that has got tossed out of the game. Have to admit he's one player I never liked. I don't necessary like Sherman's mouth, but he backs it up and his education and charity will be more than anything I'll ever do in my life. Lynch is just Lynch. I'm not going to condone his fines for doing the same things over and over again (media and crouch grabbing), but it's his money and he doesn't seem to give a rip if he's fined every day. I have found it amusing how he's found a way to show up (so he wouldn't get fined) and make the media (the one who wants to blow his words out of proportion) and himself look like fools

[/QUOTE]

This post was edited on 2/3 9:56 PM by SkyR#1fanCapCoug

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT