ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Confederate Removals?

What was your distinction between racist and prejudice?
I look at prejudice as bias. Racist has harmful connotations. I am prejudice toward brunettes, doesn't mean I wouldn't do a blond. Halle Berry is one fine woman, but if she dyed her hair blond I wouldn't find her as attractive, I'd still do her, but I wouldn't want to harm her.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
What was your distinction between racist and prejudice?

It basically comes down to ignorance vs. hate. Let me give you an example. An old woman who's interaction with black people is limited to watching TV and reading the paper. Based on what she sees on TV, she thinks that most black people act a certain way. She doesn't hate black people, but she stereotypes them. That lady would have a prejudice towards black people, but she's not a racist. A racist thinks that another race is inferior to their own. Make sense?

@Hark_The_Sound_2010 gave a good explanation of the difference as well

So that article right there accurately portrays the difference between prejudice or bias and out-and-out racism that we were discussing earlier.

Also, it shows that the hiring managers themselves aren't racist. They're just afraid that their customers might be. So it's not racism that's preventing them being hired, it's a belief (possibly a misconception) that others are racist that is preventing them from being hired at the same rate. And I'd argue that the fear-mongering of racism that is being perpetuated by politicians and media members alive is doing more to continue that belief/misconception than any actual racism is.

At least read this ARTICLE and consider their premise.

Some people simplify racism as one group not liking another, and think “racist” and “prejudiced” are interchangeable. But racism is a concept that operates on both an individual and institutional level.

At its core, racism is a system in which a dominant race benefits off the oppression of others — whether they want to or not. We don’t live in a society where every racial group has equal power, status, and opportunity. Yes, white people all over the world and throughout history have experienced atrocities like slavery and persecution. But in the very specific context of American history, white people have not been enslaved, colonized, or forced to segregate on the scale that black people have. They do not face housing or job discrimination, police brutality, poverty, or incarceration at the level that black people do. This is not to say that they do not experience things like poverty and police brutality at all. But again, not on the same scale — not even close. That is the reality of racism.

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
You are the guy pretending that systemic racism doesn't exist in corporate America.

More fodder for you:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/blogs/at-the-edge/2015/05/06/institutional-racism-is-our-way-of-life?context=amp
I've never said it didn't exist, I said it's not the huge problem you make it out to be. Just look at the study below. It shows that black people are given an almost equal chance to interview for a position with power (manager, coordinator, etc.) as a white person.

http://fortune.com/2014/11/04/hiring-racial-bias/

I look at prejudice as bias. Racist has harmful connotations. I am prejudice toward brunettes, doesn't mean I wouldn't do a blond. Halle Berry is one fine woman, but if she dyed her hair blond I wouldn't find her as attractive, I'd still do her, but I wouldn't want to harm her.
That sounds like preference, not prejudice.

I've never said it didn't exist, I said it's not the huge problem you make it out to be. Just look at the study below. It shows that black people are given an almost equal chance to interview for a position with power (manager, coordinator, etc.) as a white person.

http://fortune.com/2014/11/04/hiring-racial-bias/
I'm not arguing the size of the problem. Im just stating it's a problem that you seem hellbent on minimizing.

Some people simplify racism as one group not liking another, and think “racist” and “prejudiced” are interchangeable. But racism is a concept that operates on both an individual and institutional level.

At its core, racism is a system in which a dominant race benefits off the oppression of others — whether they want to or not. We don’t live in a society where every racial group has equal power, status, and opportunity. Yes, white people all over the world and throughout history have experienced atrocities like slavery and persecution. But in the very specific context of American history, white people have not been enslaved, colonized, or forced to segregate on the scale that black people have. They do not face housing or job discrimination, police brutality, poverty, or incarceration at the level that black people do. This is not to say that they do not experience things like poverty and police brutality at all. But again, not on the same scale — not even close. That is the reality of racism.
An easy way to fix the incarceration problem is, don't break the law. Works for Blacks, whites, hispanics, Asians, all races.

Prejudice is more like ignorance. What exposure you may have is a stereotype, which is probably not pleasant if you have an unfavorable feeling about them.

Racism, or being a racist, is knowing fully- or at least you think you do- about the alleged "minority" or group, class, person in that class, whatever, and insisting that they are inferior to you and those like you. And, you might even have enough animosity based on what amounts to a fear of them, that you'd harm them, or do irrational things to make sure they were kept away from you. And, I'm being as polite as possible with this summation.

Ok, that article doesn't really pertain to the discussion at hand, so I'm not really sure what you want me to consider.

I'm not arguing the size of the problem.
That's literally all we have been discussing.

Reactions: nctransplant
Prejudice is more like ignorance. What exposure you may have is a stereotype, which is probably not pleasant if you have an unfavorable feeling about them.

Racism, or being a racist, is knowing fully- or at least you think you do- about the alleged "minority" or group, class, person in that class, whatever, and insisting that they are inferior to you and those like you. And, you might even have enough animosity based on what amounts to a fear of them, that you'd harm them, or do irrational things to make sure they were kept away from you. And, I'm being as polite as possible with this summation.
I'm confused on this one. I specifically said it was an ignorance vs hate difference. So are you trying to say that you agree with me?

Yes, and people that think/act like that are scum. However recently, it's become commonplace to call people racist simply for disagreeing on an issue, when they exhibit none of the above qualities. That's where I see the problem.

I'm confused on this one. I specifically said it was an ignorance vs hate difference. So are you trying to say that you agree with me?
You offered what Hark said as an explanation. I was asking for your definition. If you agree with what I wrote, then that works even better.

You offered what Hark said as an explanation. I was asking for your definition. If you agree with what I wrote, then that works even better.
His explanation was only part of my response. The first part of that post was a previous post of mine.

"It basically comes down to ignorance vs. hate. Let me give you an example. An old woman who's interaction with black people is limited to watching TV and reading the paper. Based on what she sees on TV, she thinks that most black people act a certain way. She doesn't hate black people, but she stereotypes them. That lady would have a prejudice towards black people, but she's not a racist. A racist thinks that another race is inferior to their own. Make sense?"

Yes, and people that think/act like that are scum. However recently, it's become commonplace to call people racist simply for disagreeing on an issue, when they exhibit none of the above qualities. That's where I see the problem.
I agree except for the part about referring to them as "scum." I recently saw a lot of my so-called liberal friends calling other people (Neo-Nazi') scum of the earth. I realize that their ideas about our social/racial mixing is dangerous to a peaceful society. But, I just never feel right referring to anyone as "scum." They are human beings, too. They're different in their thinking, but being misguided (as we see them) doesn't mean they deserve to be harmed.

I guess, in short, when a person refers to (or acknowledges) another person as "scum", they run the risk of dehumanizing them. And, when you can dehumanize ANYONE, that's when muthahfvckahs get killed!

exactly racism is much more complicated and i agree with the concept that at their core a racist believes one race to be inferior to another.
We could say that all racists are prejudiced, but not all prejudiced people are racists!

I think that is a Lao Tzu quote.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
His explanation was only part of my response. The first part of that post was a previous post of mine.

"It basically comes down to ignorance vs. hate. Let me give you an example. An old woman who's interaction with black people is limited to watching TV and reading the paper. Based on what she sees on TV, she thinks that most black people act a certain way. She doesn't hate black people, but she stereotypes them. That lady would have a prejudice towards black people, but she's not a racist. A racist thinks that another race is inferior to their own. Make sense?"
THAT'S what I thought I remembered reading. This has turned into an epic-long thread.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Yeah, but it's been a pretty good one for the most part. I'd rather have a thread like this than a thread with pictures of half naked dudes with their nipples pierced. NTTAWWT
Amen brother. I really thought I was reviving something that had great potential until some Jackwagon screwed it up.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I don't think just because someone thinks racism is almost done makes them a right wing fringe loonie. Some may not experience it that often or at all. Lots of it depends on your location.

By me citing fox as an example you've added right wing and racist to my meaning. I understand the inference but it was just the easiest example. Thinking racism is almost done because you personally haven't seen it is pretty myopic.

CC

I agree except for the part about referring to them as "scum." I recently saw a lot of my so-called liberal friends calling other people (Neo-Nazi') scum of the earth. I realize that their ideas about our social/racial mixing is dangerous to a peaceful society. But, I just never feel right referring to anyone as "scum." They are human beings, too. They're different in their thinking, but being misguided (as we see them) doesn't mean they deserve to be harmed.

I guess, in short, when a person refers to (or acknowledges) another person as "scum", they run the risk of dehumanizing them. And, when you can dehumanize ANYONE, that's when muthahfvckahs get killed!

i think true 1930 nazi's were scum! 3/4 of the people that compare people to those ture nazi's or trump to adolf hitler have no clue about how evil those guys really were. read about josef mengele and his experiments on children in concentration camps if you want to see the true face of evil.

I don't think it's either. I think it was just an anecdote where there were racial implications. Pointing out racial implications is neither racist or prejudiced, I don't think. At least not in the way you stated what happened.
So he and I were doing the exact same thing and he gets a glowing review and I don't and you don't think it was racial?

i think true 1930 nazi's were scum! 3/4 of the people that compare people to those ture nazi's or trump to adolf hitler have no clue about how evil those guys really were. read about josef mengele and his experiments on children in concentration camps if you want to see the true face of evil.
Yeah, whenever that comparison is made it really upsets me. I've almost put a couple people on ignore because of it. My grandfather served in WWII and fought actual Nazis. To compare anything that is going on today to what he fought against is dumb.

I understand and agree that what they did is not something I want to mimic. I'm not condoning what any of those people did. That's why I don't mimic them, and I encourage others not to mimic them either. When you allow yourself to dehumanize THEM, then you're mimicking them. They dehumanized other people. We're all capable of doing anything and everything that others do on a behavioral level. Hate, and especially fear, can turn civilized people into uncivilized people very quickly.

Reactions: plm
So he and I were doing the exact same thing and he gets a glowing review and I don't and you don't think it was racial?
I guess I'm not understanding what you're asking me. Are you asking if YOU were behaving or acting racist? No, I don't think you were. I don't know what the principal saw. That's a two-sides-to-every-story thing. From your assertion, they were being racist toward you. Or, it's entirely possible they were, or he was.

2 questions:

1 - Do you believe if the tables were turned and whites were the minority, blacks would be oppressing whites?

2 - Do you believe that oppression will happen whenever and wherever there are multiple races and one is the majority?

I guess I'm not understanding what you're asking me. Are you asking if YOU were behaving or acting racist? No, I don't think you were. I don't know what the principal saw. That's a two-sides-to-every-story thing. From your assertion, they were being racist toward you. Or, it's entirely possible they were, or he was.
My assertion was that she was being racist toward me. And my point is that it is not always white people who are racist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT