ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bradley declaring for the draft and may hire an agent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add on to this analysis, which I agree with, is that if he's a fringe first rounder and ends up going in the second then the team who drafts him has no added incentive to keep him around if he struggles. On a first round guaranteed contract, they've essentially already paid for the entire rookie deal. Sunk cost, so if he struggles its in their best interest to try to work with him. On a second rounder, if he struggles you can cut him and it doesn't cost you anything beyond what you signed him to for the year.

In other words, Tony could benefit from staying a year and potentially getting into the lottery. And Tony could benefit from staying a year and avoiding being a 2nd rounder. That said, if he gets anything close to a 1st round guarantee he should absolutely stay in the draft. That's his dream and he deserves it.

Agreed, I'm talking about 1st round money. I think if he gets the feedback that he will go somewhere in the 1st round (later means better team too) then he goes.

Lottery has no bearing. People need to stop getting their hopes up with this. If he is projected first round, he is leaving. That's guaranteed money.
True, but there is a difference, and in this case it is whether he's considered ready to play immediately --- and that's what usually separates the lottery. Roy's position on these things has been to encourage kids to leave if they're guaranteed to be an early pick and/or ready to play in the NBA. Tony is simply not ready and would benefit from another season starting at Carolina. Honestly it should be an easy choice. Other factors have made it not so much.

Correct, as I understand it... and that is also consistent with Roy's approach. In the end Roy will probably say all the PC things publicly, but I feel confident in saying he honestly doesn't think Tony is ready yet, and coming back would be for his own long-term good.

I hope if Tony comes back it helps him(even though I believe it would). NBA scouts love shiny new things with big men at times.

Reactions: gary-7
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT