ADVERTISEMENT

USC disrespect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's true and all, but who told you you could start giving away my tickets on here?

I was selling your tickets, not giving them away. And I was going to wave the 40% broker fee. But not now- sell your own damn tickets.

Just a few thoughts from a South Carolina fan . . .

I don't think our fans are much different than any other college football fan base. We tend to write off the bad as an aberration and think the good will translate into greatness with the passage of time. Most of the USC fans that I know are not overlooking this game. Nor do they expect it to be an easy win. Instead, they are hopeful of being able to win the game in spite of last year's performances and while trying to get some younger players some experience.

With that said, I compared the post-spring/summer starting line-ups for our two teams and found the following:

UNC Offense: 10 Upperclassmen and 37 Total Rivals Stars
UNC Defense: 8 Upperclassmen and 31 Total Rivals Stars

USC Offense: 8 Upperclassmen and 36 Total Rivals Stars
USC Defense: 10 Upperclassmen and 39 Total Rivals Stars

When matching up O to D, it looks like this should be a close game. When you add that both teams are working with miserable D's from last year and new DC's for this year, I think both sides have reason to be hopeful of progress. Just my two cents.

(PS: I know that focusing on seniority and recruiting ratings leave a whole host of factors off the table. However, I tend to think that these give you a pretty good idea of the general leadership and talent level when looking at comparing teams.)

What the heck are some of you UNC fans thinking or reading. GEEZ

I would guarantee you no one outside of CootColumbia believes/thinks of USC 1st when the word Carolina is used in sports.

From everything I've read or heard when Carolina is mentioned in any sport fans think UNC not USC. Get over all the SEC hype because USC has won nothing. All they have is the crutch of the SEC to lean on. Even many of the fans in SEC make fun of them and their empty trophy case.

In about a month UNC 38 USC 17 good luck

I am not waiting for the change, It has already happened. We merely are waiting its to run its course to become complete.

30 years ago, the only people who routinely meant SoCar when they said Carolina were SoCar alums and fans. Even in SC, half of the people who said Carolina meant UNC - though to be fair, part of that was Clemson people digging at Gamecocks. 30 years ago, even duiring football season, almost all SEC people meant UNC when they said Carolina.

That changed years ago. The default for Carollina in SEC country is SoCar. The reason is football. Not SoCar football. Football. Just as football determines what is a Power or Major conference, football determines how names are seen. Why did SoCal win the l;egal right to USC over SoCar? SoCal football is MUCH bigger than SoCar football. Football history and brand name determined something that based on school age and state abbreviation should have belonged to SoCar with hardly a doubt.

When the SEC took SoCar, almost all UNC fans were certain the move could never help the SEC or SoCar. I was seemingly alone in predicting that the move would make the SoCar athletics department wealthy and respected and successful in ways most people other than diehard Gamecocks could hope for. I said that SEC football in the Carolinas would harm the reputation of ACC football even with FSU added to the ACC.

The reason I was correct is football is football. Football always trumps everything.

So, if you are alive 20 years from now, and UNC has continued to suck at football and SoCar has finally won an SEC title in football and a couple of east titles, even with 2 more UNC basketball national titles, the majorityb of sports fans across the country will mean SoCar when they say Carolina.

Sorry but that's YOUR opinion,,the world of sports don't revolve around SEC and you trying to say SC winning a couple SEC titles compared to UNC's overall sports accomplishments 20 years from now will change that scenerio? Maybe,if UNC goes in a complete funk in all major sports,but we're not talking about then, we're talking about NOW.

What the heck are some of you UNC fans thinking or reading. GEEZ

I would guarantee you no one outside of CootColumbia believes/thinks of USC 1st when the word Carolina is used in sports.

From everything I've read or heard when Carolina is mentioned in any sport fans think UNC not USC. Get over all the SEC hype because USC has won nothing. All they have is the crutch of the SEC to lean on. Even many of the fans in SEC make fun of them and their empty trophy case.

In about a month UNC 38 USC 17 good luck

Thanks,some of our fans could care less about othe uNC sports programs but the fact is,they are the ones who put UNC on the map,it's just hard for fball only fans to admit.

Thanks,some of our fans could care less about othe uNC sports programs but the fact is,they are the ones who put UNC on the map,it's just hard for fball only fans to admit.

How much less could you care?

And there is no such thing as a football only UNC fan.

Sorry but that's YOUR opinion,,the world of sports don't revolve around SEC and you trying to say SC winning a couple SEC titles compared to UNC's overall sports accomplishments 20 years from now will change that scenerio? Maybe,if UNC goes in a complete funk in all major sports,but we're not talking about then, we're talking about NOW.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

How much less could you care?

And there is no such thing as a football only UNC fan.

^ THIS!!! With a hammer!!!!

LMAO Whatever, you have to be delusional or drunk.

I can't figure out what point he is trying to make. Is it that UNC sports fans owe the UNC basketball onlies a debt of gratitude?

Can someone translate this for me?

Can someone translate this for me?
You're welcome.

terrible_english_translations_that_are_total_fails_640_19.jpg

As a Clemson fan living in Columbia it is EASY to absolutely HATE and detest the Gamecoots. Also, having spent a few summers in Chapel Hill as a kid when my uncle was a professor there at UNC, I am unique in knowing how special that place is, and I have always been fond of UNC since those times in the mid 1960's. Of course living in Columbia (the heart of the beast) you really get a good idea of how obnoxious the Coot fans are. That being said, unless UNC is remarkably better (especially on defense) than they were last year, there actually may be only a remote chance that the Tarheels win (excuse me a moment will I put a finger in my mouth to gag...). It makes me sick to even say that!!! I also hate the SEC and would love to see them lose at anytime, especially against ACC teams. There may not be a greater fan in South Carolina on that day pulling for the Heels against those obnoxious Coots, and I will let a few people know about if the Tarheels do win. At this point it is just hard for me to see that happening. Sorry! I hope your team proves me wrong. Good luck.

At this point it is just hard for me to see that happening. Sorry! I hope your team proves me wrong. Good luck.
Same here. With both teams breaking in new defensive coordinators, it's hard to know what to expect for sure. But if Chizik is able to work his magic early I think the Heels have a fighting chance in this one.

Unfortunately South Carolina may have upgraded their defense with Hoke as coordinator from what was a pathetically coordinated defense from last year. I believe that UNC may/should have an advantage of offense. Right off hand I do not know what loses UNC had there. I do know the Coots lost quite a bit. As it stands now, Cooper may be the ONLY legitimate weapon on offense going into that game. UNC's defense containing him will be key. Like many, growing up I used to use a few "jinx" words on your competitors when they were doing something like shooting the basketball when playing H-O-R-S-E, or when shooting pool, using these words to "hopefully" cause them to miss. Well I'll be employing all these old "jinx" words on the Coots when they play UNC. Yet it essentially comes down to the play on the field. I just hope that UNC's play is better than the Coots on that day. Once again good luck. I cannot wait until kickoff. (By the way, in case the 'Heel fans do not know what a "Coot" is: It has become known to mean a foolish dumb bird!)

Reactions: UNC71-00
Don't f*ck this up Tarheels! I wanna see USCjr go 0-3 to start the season off. I'd love to see Hood and Switzer eat them up on screens, speed sweeps, and slant routes.... gunna come down to which of the god awful defenses from last year has improved the most.

COCKu v Carolina comparison
O-line: UNC
QB: UNC
WR: Toss Up
RB: Toss Up
TE's: USCjr
Return Game: UNC
D-line: Toss Up
LBers: USCjr
Secondary: USCjr
Pass-rush: Toss Up
Field Goal Kicker: USCjr

Ya'll can win this...

COCKu v Carolina comparison
O-line: UNC
QB: UNC
WR: Toss Up
RB: Toss Up
TE's: USCjr
Return Game: UNC
D-line: Toss Up
LBers: USCjr
Secondary: USCjr
Pass-rush: Toss Up
Field Goal Kicker: USCjr

Ya'll can win this...

I've never really understood these comparisons. Shouldn't we look at the UNC OL vs USC DL? Etc?

It seems to me that in such a comparison the two teams have strength on offense vs. their opponent's weakness on defense. Whichever unit plays beyond expectations of the 4 (USC Offense, UNC Offense, USC Defense or UNC Offense) will turn this game. And if neither team shows out on offense or defense, then this game will come down to special teams.

Unfortunately South Carolina may have upgraded their defense with Hoke as coordinator from what was a pathetically coordinated defense from last year. I believe that UNC may/should have an advantage of offense. Right off hand I do not know what loses UNC had there. I do know the Coots lost quite a bit. As it stands now, Cooper may be the ONLY legitimate weapon on offense going into that game. UNC's defense containing him will be key. Like many, growing up I used to use a few "jinx" words on your competitors when they were doing something like shooting the basketball when playing H-O-R-S-E, or when shooting pool, using these words to "hopefully" cause them to miss. Well I'll be employing all these old "jinx" words on the Coots when they play UNC. Yet it essentially comes down to the play on the field. I just hope that UNC's play is better than the Coots on that day. Once again good luck. I cannot wait until kickoff. (By the way, in case the 'Heel fans do not know what a "Coot" is: It has become known to mean a foolish dumb bird!)
Our only lost stater on offense was TE Tabb.

I learned what a Coot is when I lived in SC. Clemson fans made certain I knew.

As a Clemson fan living in Columbia it is EASY to absolutely HATE and detest the Gamecoots. Also, having spent a few summers in Chapel Hill as a kid when my uncle was a professor there at UNC, I am unique in knowing how special that place is, and I have always been fond of UNC since those times in the mid 1960's. Of course living in Columbia (the heart of the beast) you really get a good idea of how obnoxious the Coot fans are. That being said, unless UNC is remarkably better (especially on defense) than they were last year, there actually may be only a remote chance that the Tarheels win (excuse me a moment will I put a finger in my mouth to gag...). It makes me sick to even say that!!! I also hate the SEC and would love to see them lose at anytime, especially against ACC teams. There may not be a greater fan in South Carolina on that day pulling for the Heels against those obnoxious Coots, and I will let a few people know about if the Tarheels do win. At this point it is just hard for me to see that happening. Sorry! I hope your team proves me wrong. Good luck.

I have a $20 wager on the game so I hope you're wrong. My reasons, other than plain optimism:

UNC's offense should be prolific. Our defense HAS to be better, it was atrocious last year. SC is inexperienced at QB. My gut says we win.

Was reading some of the USCjr boards and from what I can tell from the tone of some of the comments, their OL isnt all that great and kind of small compared to previous years ((by small I mean well under 300 lbs)) ... to me they seem to have bigger question marks than UNC

Was reading some of the USCjr boards and from what I can tell from the tone of some of the comments, their OL isnt all that great and kind of small compared to previous years ((by small I mean well under 300 lbs)) ... to me they seem to have bigger question marks than UNC

I think the concern is with Center Alan Knott. He was undersized last year as a RS FR and has only moved up to 280 lbs. I do not think we are too concerned about the size of the rest of the OL. Quite the opposite really . . . we need to make sure a couple of players (including several backups) keep their weight down.

the first team oline is solid, very solid. 2nd team is very young. South Carolina will need to play keep away and get a couple turnovers to run away with the game. It should be a good game. SC defense has vastly improved from whats coming out of camp but we all know UNC is going to give a fight.

the first team oline is solid, very solid. 2nd team is very young. South Carolina will need to play keep away and get a couple turnovers to run away with the game. It should be a good game. SC defense has vastly improved from whats coming out of camp but we all know UNC is going to give a fight.

From what we have read about UNC's D , it has improved as well .... its the match ups that seem to favor UNC at this point (IMO)

UNC O vs USCjr D == UNC
USCjr vs UNC D == toss up
USCjr special teams vs UNC special teams == toss up
Coaching == EVEN

USCjr is breaking in a lot on O with the major position being QB .... UNC's D might be raw however a few mistakes by the new USCjr QB could be the key factor .... I dont see the experienced UNC O making as many mistakes ... not to say they wont have any but I think the key to this game hinges on the USCjr O and their execution

Obviously, the injuries along the OL are of concern. We simply can't afford many more and we need Tommy Boy Hatton to be back soon. I have good feelings about this kid.

As a South Carolina fan, I have to say I agree with most of your post except the toss up on USC O v UNC D. Yes, the QB is the major piece to the puzzle. However, we were ranked as the 33rd best offense last year as compared to 117 for UNCs defense. We return over 75 starts along the OL, including two multi year starters on left side, a C who started 8 games last year and a RG who started 11. We have numerous 2TE sets so our TE who is a SR has started for most of his career. Our RB was the starter when Lattimore was out injured and was also used extensively last year when Davis was hurt (including key drives in wins over UGA and UF). Cooper is considered one of the best receivers in the SEC and there is young talent in the WRs. So to be a toss up I would think we would have to expect our O to drop 40 places and your D to improve 40 places over last year. For me your O has a solid advantage over our D, but our O has a slight advantage over your D. The question is whether our QB can turn that slight advantage intone in order to pull out the win.

Reactions: UNC '92
TG, the USC O's pantry certainly isnt empty and quite frankly I wasnt aware that your OL is that experienced ... I can see your point about the ranking of the USC O / UNC D but those numbers were from last year ... I think this game comes down to the play of the USC QB and his execution ... Vegas might be right with the line being 3 but I think it could go either way

come on unc man up for the opener and open up a can on the chickens so we can pour some more gas on the sec's demise.

Since this thread is entitled "USC disrespect," can we all just point out for a second how dumb it is for SCar's logo to incorporate just a "C" when their school name starts with an "S" ? OK, thanks :)

Reactions: Raising Heel
It's kinda not their fault. They're a man without a country, metaphorically speaking. I always laugh about this quote from USC's attorney after winning a legal battle against the Cocks' use of the "SC" logo:

[USC attorney Scott Edelman] also suggested that the letters were more deservedly linked to the Trojans' warrior image than to "a goofy little chicken."

"I think they wanted to move away from the gamecock logo," Edelman said of the school in the South. "Something that is totally understandable."

Burns so bad

Reactions: uncboy10
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT