ADVERTISEMENT

USC disrespect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet, we don't really care what others think. We didn't care at Fort Moultrie and throughout the Revolutionary War. We didn't care during the Nullification Crisis. We didn't care at Fort Sumter and throughout the Civil War. Throughout history, South Carolinians just have a tendency to believe in themselves and not worry too much about what others think.

Even today, take the SC Bar for example. We have no reciprocity with any other state. Why? We like the way we do it just fine, and if you want to practice law in this state, then you need to come pass our Bar Exam. From the outside, it appears backwards. From the inside, we're just fine, thank you.

So perhaps what outsiders view as delusion, those in the State of South Carolina see as self-assuredness. We have a history of not needing any validation from the outside, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that spill over to our fan base.

What your state bar "offers" is "formal" reciprocity with other states. Nice too, keeps some of the under educated (from your highly rated secondary schools) attorneys in SC from not getting work. o_O

And yet, we don't really care what others think. We didn't care at Fort Moultrie and throughout the Revolutionary War. We didn't care during the Nullification Crisis. We didn't care at Fort Sumter and throughout the Civil War. Throughout history, South Carolinians just have a tendency to believe in themselves and not worry too much about what others think.

Even today, take the SC Bar for example. We have no reciprocity with any other state. Why? We like the way we do it just fine, and if you want to practice law in this state, then you need to come pass our Bar Exam. From the outside, it appears backwards. From the inside, we're just fine, thank you.

So perhaps what outsiders view as delusion, those in the State of South Carolina see as self-assuredness. We have a history of not needing any validation from the outside, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that spill over to our fan base.
Throughout history, dating all the way back to the start of the Yamasee War in 1715, this phrase has held true:

"South Carolinians like to scream and start wars, but then they quickly realize they need North Carolinians to fight it for them."

I couldnt agree more, although there are plenty of South Carolinians who take run of the mill self-assuredness way past the point of cocky and into delusion.
I think the same can be said for any fan base. When is the last time you've had a 'college football discussion' with someone from Georgia?

I was at the SoCal/UCLA game at the Rose Bowl last year and I learned a whole new dimension of cockyness from a Trojan fan.

I mean, who is the "Real Carolina" is a rivalry/debate only in the minds of the fans of the school from Columbia.

It's been proven in polls and discussions across the country that "Carolina" clearly refers to the school in Chapel Hill. I do feel sort of bad for the folks from Columbia - because they have no "identity" and are desperately trying to find one. Carolina was already taken by an older, more prestigious, more successful university. USC was already taken by a school out west that dwarfs SoCar in athletic achievements and academics. That's left them with only one unique identifier, and it's only unique because no one else would be dumb enough to use it as their mascot, The Gamecocks.

No matter how much they try to claim they're Carolina - it doesn't make it true, and they know that (or at least, I think they know that). It's not like "State" which could conceivably mean several different schools depending on where you are in the country (NCSU around the Carolinas, FSU in FL, Michigan State in the Midwest, etc.)

Carolina should just sue their @$$es like USC did to end this "debate" once and for all.
I don't think trying to sue South Carolina amounted to anything. We still use the USC emblem on our baseball caps that they tried to prevent. Regarding that whole argument, South Carolina was founded in 1801. California wasn't even a state until 1850.

About the "REAL" Carolina, the only defense Gamecock fans have is our recent success in baseball. I believe that gets trumped with the continued success UNC has had in basketball. Fun to joke about but really no argument. I lived in Charleston for two years and I've met plenty of people there that when someone refers to Carolina, they understand it to be North Carolina by default. Then again... it could be because Charleston is being overwhelmed by retirees in the north, specifically from Ohio.

What your state bar "offers" is "formal" reciprocity with other states. Nice too, keeps some of the under educated (from your highly rated secondary schools) attorneys in SC from not getting work. o_O
Like I said. We prefer for outsiders to have to earn their way in. Of course, we have no problem if this also hinders those here from seeking work elsewhere.

And as far as legal education goes, the various USC law school grads who have been employed at Cravath or S&C over the years might beg to differ on the quality of their legal education.

Of course some people are more prone to bragging about national educational rankings than others.

Throughout history, South Carolinians just have a tendency to believe in themselves and not worry too much about what others think.
It's that lack of self-awareness that makes South Carolina fans so insufferable. You're basically like the drunk guy at the party who's making as ass of himself but enjoying the attention too much to stop. Sadly, the next morning never seems to arrive for Gamecock fans.

Like I said. We prefer for outsiders to have to earn their way in. Of course, we have no problem if this also hinders those here from seeking work elsewhere.

And as far as legal education goes, the various USC law school grads who have been employed at Cravath or S&C over the years might beg to differ on the quality of their legal education.

Of course some people are more prone to bragging about national educational rankings than others.
Now who is it exactly on an opponent's site bragging about their education?

It's that lack of self-awareness that makes South Carolina fans so insufferable. You're basically like the drunk guy at the party who's making as ass of himself but enjoying the attention too much to stop. Sadly, the next morning never seems to arrive for Gamecock fans.

Thats because they stay drunk.

Thats because they stay drunk.
I think this goes back to my earlier post. The concept of self-awareness implies that there is some sort of societal norm that the drunk guy in the bar should be measuring himself against. When in his eyes, he is living his own life and isn't hurting anyone else. He doesn't really care what anyone else thinks. But damn is he having a great time . . . as compared to the guy in the corner of the bar that is sulking over his scotch while criticizing everyone else in the bar.

Looks like we lost a receiver I was counting on to make some big strides this season. Rumors are it his ACL.

Might not matter as much if we are in the middle of a tropical storm. But I hate it for the kid. He redshirted last year for a similar injury.

Trust me H_T_S, Cock fans assuredly do NOT know this. They truly think they're the real Carolina.

To be honest it doesn't matter much to me. I agree that other than in SC that people know Heels more as Carolina than us. Not worth even arguing over. Good luck on Thur. Should be a good game

the first team oline is solid, very solid. 2nd team is very young. South Carolina will need to play keep away and get a couple turnovers to run away with the game. It should be a good game. SC defense has vastly improved from whats coming out of camp but we all know UNC is going to give a fight.

We had a highly touted defense coming out of camp last year...I'm ascared this year.

chck.jpg

It seems they dont respect UNC down in Columbia, SC ... they see Kentucky as the early test ... thoughts?? https://southcarolina.rivals.com/
I don't agree. We're looking at this as a must win game. We can not afford to start the season like we did last year. Neither can you. It' going to be a hard played game between 2 teams that want better than what last year offered. Here's hoping for a well played, injury free game. And a Gamecock win!

...but Clemson is historically better in football so wouldn't that make them Sr.? Clearly I don't get it :p

Excellent point. The Cock fans just don't understand the concept. They believe that their tradition is much better than SoCal (USCsr.)

...but Clemson is historically better in football so wouldn't that make them Sr.? Clearly I don't get it :p

Excellent point. The Cock fans just don't understand the concept. They believe that their tradition is much better than SoCal (USCsr.)

Of course they do. If they believed differently, they wouldn't be South Carolina fans.

Nobody is overlooking you after what happened to us last year. You may beat us, but you will get south Carolina and Steve Spurriers best shot. Gamecock nation will show up Thursday night. Go Gamecocks

Reactions: alum-75
"South Carolinians like to scream and start wars, but then they quickly realize they need North Carolinians to fight it for them."
Clemson fan here. My direct ancestor South Carolina Governor Robert Gibbs was involved in the separation of South Carolina and North Carolina. His thought was, even though they were now being separate, they would still be involved in like cause. That cause today is for the northern part of Carolina to lay a whipping on the southern part. I'm for that cause today...

I mean, who is the "Real Carolina" is a rivalry/debate only in the minds of the fans of the school from Columbia.

It's been proven in polls and discussions across the country that "Carolina" clearly refers to the school in Chapel Hill. I do feel sort of bad for the folks from Columbia - because they have no "identity" and are desperately trying to find one. Carolina was already taken by an older, more prestigious, more successful university. USC was already taken by a school out west that dwarfs SoCar in athletic achievements and academics. That's left them with only one unique identifier, and it's only unique because no one else would be dumb enough to use it as their mascot, The Gamecocks.

No matter how much they try to claim they're Carolina - it doesn't make it true, and they know that (or at least, I think they know that). It's not like "State" which could conceivably mean several different schools depending on where you are in the country (NCSU around the Carolinas, FSU in FL, Michigan State in the Midwest, etc.)

Carolina should just sue their @$$es like USC did to end this "debate" once and for all.

This is all true. Even smart people who know college football inside and out (meaning they know ACC just as well as SEC) have started slipping and calling SCar 'Carolina.'

As it stands now, sportscasters sort've use 'Carolina' for both now.

Getting OUT of the ACC and, ultimately joining the SEC, was a giant leap forward for Gamecock athletics. The monetary rewards have been awesome - we are now able to spend tens of millions on facility improvements that, prior to SEC membership, we couldn't dream of doing as an Independent or ACC member and we actually had to PROMISE the SEC upon joining the league that we would ramp up spending on facilities . . . Get this . . . With THEIR money that they have GIVEN to us! Gawd! We're living in a dream world and the plans still on the drawing boards indicate that life in the SEC was worth the FIFTY dollar membership fee we paid back in 1991. It's only going to get better!

Reactions: whitepug6
Clemson fan here. My direct ancestor South Carolina Governor Robert Gibbs was involved in the separation of South Carolina and North Carolina. His thought was, even though they were now being separate, they would still be involved in like cause. That cause today is for the northern part of Carolina to lay a whipping on the southern part. I'm for that cause today...
I like the SC Up country a lot. I like the landscape and the people. I don't like Columbia at all. Charleston is nice to visit once every few years, but the rest of Low country I can do without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT