ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

I'm kinda with you guys on taking a TE. It is a great TE class, but I don't view TE as a huge need this cycle. Staff thinks differently.
Staffs not only can be wrong, but they are always wrong eventually. In this case, we have no shot at any 4* TE in the class of 2021. We are not getting the 2 or 3 3# TEs the staff most preferred.

Plus - we have 2 TEs in the class of 2020, and Boaz is likely to become a 3rd TE in that class. We have 0 need to have 4 TEs signed over a 2-year period.

Plus - Stephen Gosnell's brother Benji is a 2022 TE, and he will be either a high 3* or a 4*.

Skip a TE in the class of 2021 and sign 4 guys on the OL.

It is impossible to have too much talent or depth on either LOS. It is easily possible to have too many scholarship WRs and TEs and DBs. It also is easy to ruin a season by having too little experience or depth on the OL.

I really think we're fine taking one more OL this class. That position group is young and we have some depth. Plus, you run the risk of someone else hitting the portal after a year if you're over ideal depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: heelfan1961
I would take as many DTs as we could. We've recruited the 4i spots without too much trouble. But, ideally, you want those guys to stay there, instead of adding a lot of weight to move inside. We need a Page/Williams/Ingram-Dawkins each cycle until we build enough quality depth. And out of that group, Page is the one we'd really want, followed by Williams.

Personally, if/when QB doesn't work out for Boaz, I'd like to see the staff try him at DL rather than TE.
Why?

Doug Atkins height on a 280 lb. DE could be interesting, but does Boaz have the kind of athleticism to master DE and the frame to gain enough weight without becoming too slow?

You should not want to make Clemson fans sound ignorant. Miami is down, and has been for many years. Miami is not the biggest ACC threat to pull even with Clemson, and he Canes may be on the coaching market again very soon. Jimbo let go of the reins his final year at FSU, and the program has not recovered. FSU is not the biggest ACC threat to pull even with Clemson right now. VT is having all kinds of recruiting trouble, which could mean a deeper dip. VT is not the biggest ACC threat to pull even with Clemson.

UNC is recruiting extremely well and has a Hall of Fame coach who has won a National Championship. Right now, UNC is the biggest ACC threat to pull even with Clemson.

Ignorant? You seem to be the only rational one here so I’ll respond to you instead of the masses

This is, despite what the locals here want to believe, an open board. I have just as much right to be here as the rest of the you. Don’t like it? chalk up $10 a month and join the premium board. If the mods here think I’m out of line, they can ban me. I couldn’t care less

This jerk off is over here hurling insults at CU left and right. And hey, if it was warranted, I’d prob just bite my tongue and ignore it. But I’m not an Auburn fan, and it’s just ignorant, low rent trash. What do you expect?

To his point of UNC being our biggest threat, they’re not. He never specified in conference so I took it at face value. He was trying to get in a dig, nothing more, nothing less.

Strictly looking at the ACC, who would you consider your biggest competition? Miami, VT, Louisville, FSU? Obviously, from a national point of view, Bama, OSU, LSU, etc are the ones that you are worrying about.

I would absolutely say that UNC is recruiting better than any other ACC school. But that wasn’t what he said, and to be honest, the ACC is absolute garbage so I’m not sure why that even matters.

Ignorant? You seem to be the only rational one here so I’ll respond to you instead of the masses

This is, despite what the locals here want to believe, an open board. I have just as much right to be here as the rest of the you. Don’t like it? chalk up $10 a month and join the premium board. If the mods here think I’m out of line, they can ban me. I couldn’t care less

This jerk off is over here hurling insults at CU left and right. And hey, if it was warranted, I’d prob just bite my tongue and ignore it. But I’m not an Auburn fan, and it’s just ignorant, low rent trash. What do you expect?

To his point of UNC being our biggest threat, they’re not. He never specified in conference so I took it at face value. He was trying to get in a dig, nothing more, nothing less.

Again, all you're doing is proving our point. You don't have to come running and cry foul whenever something remotely negative is said about Clemson. This thread is for 2021 recruiting and commitments. Please keep it on topic. Thanks.

Again, all you're doing is proving our point. You don't have to come running and cry foul whenever something remotely negative is said about Clemson. This thread is for 2021 recruiting and commitments. Please keep it on topic. Thanks.

Proving your point? Because I asked a simple question about a bullshit allegation?

Dude, you’re really stretching here. I came here looking for some simple info about recruiting. I saw the ridiculous comment about “games” and asked a question. Again, if it was founded in any kind of reality, I would disregard it. But it’s just butthurt. Simple as that

I read most every CU board, and have found absolutely nothing accusing UNC of “games” despite the fact that UNC has a top 5 class and hasn’t been relevant in decades. And I’m not trying to be offensive, I’m just trying to provide some perspective here. The hypocrisy there... Come on

This is a bullshit board, so I’m out. Congrats on your success and enjoy your echo chamber

Proving your point? Because I asked a simple question about a bullshit allegation?

Dude, you’re really stretching here. I came here looking for some simple info about recruiting. I saw the ridiculous comment about “games” and asked a question. Again, if it was founded in any kind of reality, I would disregard it. But it’s just butthurt. Simple as that

I read most every CU board, and have found absolutely nothing accusing UNC of “games” despite the fact that UNC has a top 5 class and hasn’t been relevant in decades. And I’m not trying to be offensive, I’m just trying to provide some perspective here. The hypocrisy there... Come on

This is a bullshit board, so I’m out. Congrats on your success and enjoy your echo chamber

It was explained to you. Last season, Trent Simpson let Clemson string him along until the very last minute. You guys WERE only taking 2 DEs this class and Korey Foreman is still uncommitted. I'm sorry that you have such a difficult time understanding things that are clearly spelled out for you and most definitely founded in reality. So, for the third and hopefully final time, the topic is 2021 recruiting and commitments. Thanks.

Dohn said Grimes won't make it to December and will probably commit much sooner. UGa fans seem to think Dohn is the kiss of death and Wiltfong will follow.

Well, a good Tennessee class should be from mostly out-of-state. Tennessee never has been a hotbed for football talent. Maybe as Nashville and its surrounding metro continues to grow, maybe eventually that market will yield some good talent. But overall, Tennessee is surrounded by states that produce much more talent, both in quantity and quality (VA, GA, NC, SC, AL)

Off-topic, just realized Tennessee is bordered by eight states. That's gotta be the most in the country.
Tennessee had more 4 star athletes than LA or AL last year. Don't underestimate their football talent (especially in West Tennessee).

Tennessee had more 4 star athletes than LA or AL last year. Don't underestimate their football talent (especially in West Tennessee).
Not really "under"estimating it. Tennessee is just smack dab in a region of elite talent. Florida isn't far away and is obviously one of the Big 3. Border states Georgia and North Carolina and Virginia are in the Top 8 of talent per year. And speaking of Louisiana, that state puts out more pros per capita than any state in the country.

Tennessee isn't New York in football talent, but it isn't GA/NC/LA either.

Not really "under"estimating it. Tennessee is just smack dab in a region of elite talent. Florida isn't far away and is obviously one of the Big 3. Border states Georgia and North Carolina and Virginia are in the Top 8 of talent per year. And speaking of Louisiana, that state puts out more pros per capita than any state in the country.

The 11th rated player in NY is a 2* , that is funny.

TN has close to 7 million people so they will compare with states that have similar population numbers and they are 3 million less than NC so that is the only difference in athletes are relative to the populations they came from.

TN has close to 7 million people so they will compare with states that have similar population numbers and they are 3 million less than NC so that is the only difference in athletes are relative to the populations they came from.
That's incorrect, but I'm working and don't have the time to prove it. Perhaps tonight, if I care enough.

It's fairly universally accepted that any successful coach at UT has to recruit outside the state's borders to get its talent.

How do you explain New York and 20 million , of course 18.8 is NYC. The only explanation it's an effeminate state.

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
That's incorrect, but I'm working and don't have the time to prove it. Perhaps tonight, if I care enough.

It's fairly universally accepted that any successful coach at UT has to recruit outside the state's borders to get its talent.
They have recruited well outside of Tennessee, in GA, VA, SC over the years. But, this myth that there are no D1 athletes in the state is total hogwash.
All-time record 846–395–53 (.674)
Bowl record 29–24 (.547)
Claimed nat'l titles 6 (1938, 1940, 1950, 1951, 1967, 1998)
Unclaimed nat'l titles 8 (1914, 1927, 1928, 1931, 1939, 1956, 1985, 1989)
Conference titles 16 (13 SEC, 2 Southern, 1 SIAA)
Division titles 6 (1997, 1998, 2001, 2003 2004, 2007)
Many of the years before the mid-90s-present, UT primarily used in-state talent. Doug Atkins and Reggie White (probably the two best DL AT) are both home-grown.

They have recruited well outside of Tennessee, in GA, VA, SC over the years. But, this myth that there are no D1 athletes in the state is total hogwash.
All-time record 846–395–53 (.674)
Bowl record 29–24 (.547)
Claimed nat'l titles 6 (1938, 1940, 1950, 1951, 1967, 1998)
Unclaimed nat'l titles 8 (1914, 1927, 1928, 1931, 1939, 1956, 1985, 1989)
Conference titles 16 (13 SEC, 2 Southern, 1 SIAA)
Division titles 6 (1997, 1998, 2001, 2003 2004, 2007)
Many of the years before the mid-90s-present, UT primarily used in-state talent. Doug Atkins and Reggie White (probably the two best DL AT) are both home-grown.
Lol none of this data presented proves your point, nor did you ever accurately characterize my point.

Never did I say there are "no D1 athletes in [Tennessee]," as your post states. You're just making stuff up now. I correctly stated that compared to other states in its region, Tennessee lags a bit behind in football talent.

See here and here and here and here.

I'll concede that TN sometimes out-produces VA, but other than that, my point about TN lagging behind FL/GA/NC is correct.

Lol none of this data presented proves your point, nor did you ever accurately characterize my point.

Never did I say there are "no D1 athletes in [Tennessee]," as your post states. You're just making stuff up now. I correctly stated that compared to other states in its region, Tennessee lags a bit behind in football talent.

See here and here and here and here.

I'll concede that TN sometimes out-produces VA, but other than that, my point about TN lagging behind FL/GA/NC is correct.
I never said they are on par with those states? I'm saying per capita they are. Reading is fundamental, sir.

TN is not producing much DL talent, and DL talent and depth is what most separates the SEC from other conferences.

Even with not mentioning Johnny, and Bobby, Majors, you are overestimating the amount of TN talent that has built the Vols football history. Hank Lauricella and Peyton Mannin are from Louisiana. Gene McEver, Richmond Flowers, and Condredge Holloway are from AL. George Cafego is from WV. Frank Emanuel, Stanley Morgan, John Chavis, and Albert Haynesworth are from SC. Steve Kiner was a military brat born in MN, spent almost half his childhood overseas and went to HS in FL. Travis Henry and Fuad Reveiz are from FL. Heath Shuler and Carl Pickens are from NC. Beattie Feathers, Steve DeLong, and Larry Seivers are from VA. A string of GA players starred for the Vols: Chip Kell, Eric Berry, Dale Carter, Jamal Lewis, Willie Gault, Bobby Scott.

I never said they are on par with those states? I'm saying per capita they are. Reading is fundamental, sir.
Hmm I see. Using per capita is a bit silly though, since all CFB scholarship roster are 85 and thus not built on a per capita basis.

So recruiting FL, GA still > recruiting TN. More opportunities to acquire elite talent.

How did this become about UT recruiting? Don’t they have their own board?
You have to understand Vols. They assume that because of that huge stadium, they are meant to be equal to Bama. Like Auburn fans, they are defined by jealousy and envy. For the Vols, but not much for Auburn, that jealousy extends to people they rarely play if they are in proximity. NC is border state, and Mack is a Tennessee native. Mack getting UNC football back on track is then something to pay attention to.

If they were not doing very well in recruiting, they would be quite nasty about what Mack is overseeing. As is, theri sense of superiority is showing rathe than their senses of jealousy and envy.

TN is not producing much DL talent, and DL talent and depth is what most separates the SEC from other conferences.

Even with not mentioning Johnny, and Bobby, Majors, you are overestimating the amount of TN talent that has built the Vols football history. Hank Lauricella and Peyton Mannin are from Louisiana. Gene McEver, Richmond Flowers, and Condredge Holloway are from AL. George Cafego is from WV. Frank Emanuel, Stanley Morgan, John Chavis, and Albert Haynesworth are from SC. Steve Kiner was a military brat born in MN, spent almost half his childhood overseas and went to HS in FL. Travis Henry and Fuad Reveiz are from FL. Heath Shuler and Carl Pickens are from NC. Beattie Feathers, Steve DeLong, and Larry Seivers are from VA. A string of GA players starred for the Vols: Chip Kell, Eric Berry, Dale Carter, Jamal Lewis, Willie Gault, Bobby Scott.
140 seasons there will be athletes from border states.

This commitment by Jones is great news. He has been a priority recruit for some time. He possesses good speed, great hands, and optimal size for a college WR. The trio of Jones, Blackwell, and Paysour gives us three more outstanding targets for Howell and Maye going forward. It’s extra sweet to go into SC and steal him away.

Now if we can reel in Grimes and Ritzie...

https://www.si.com/.amp-tar-heels/college/unc/football/jj-jones-commits

Last edited:
This commitment by Jones is great news. He has been a priority recruit for some time. He possesses good speed, great hands, and optimal size for a college WR. The trio of Jones, Blackwell, and Paysour gives us three more outstanding targets for Howell and Maye going forward. It’s extra sweet to go into SC and steal him away.

Now if we can reel in Grimes and Ritzie...

https://www.si.com/.amp-tar-heels/college/unc/football/jj-jones-commits
I love his moxie. He says that the 2021 UNC class is National Championship caliber.

He switched from DB to WR, and everybody who saw him wanted him.
Yeah, he’s new to the position and is already turning heads. Give him another year or two and he’ll be one of the best WR’s in the country. He’s got a lot of raw talent. That group of WR’s coming in next year may be one of the best we’ve had. With Howell and Maye in the fold, and our talented stable of backs, we just need solid play from the OL and our offense will be prolific.

Keep building those lines and we’re going to legitimately challenge for the conference soon, perhaps even this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT