ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

I'm aroused, and I'm not ashamed of it. And yes I'm talking about UNC football right now.
I'd be concerned if any UNC football fan isn't aroused. This is a game-changer of a commit right here (if he picks Carolina). Getting 4-stars is nice, but even lower tier P5 schools can luck into a 4-star or two in a class. Grabbing a 5-star is crucial in the process of bubbling up into an elite tier program. I can't really put into words how huge this commitment would be. It's even bigger that it's being moved up to June instead of December. This gives us basically 6 months to leverage Grimes' commitment and go chase some serious talent (other 5-stars). Pitch them the fact that Grimes' commitment adds legitimacy to what we're building.

I'm not here to say we're going to suddenly flip Will Shipley or Evan Pryor or anything like that, but I could definitely see a Grimes commitment helping us land an elite talent recruit who previously didn't have us on his radar.

One final thing: I think there may be a temptation to say "it's awesome we're getting a 5-star, but couldn't it be a more important position like DT, LB, or QB, rather than a DB? Maybe even 5 seasons ago, this argument would have some validity. However, in today's college football, lockdown DBs have joined DL and QB as the most important position needed to become elite. With every program throwing it 35+ times a game, you absolutely need tall, lockdown corners who can eliminate their guy from the play and allow the front seven time to get to the QB or cover guys underneath / in space. Elite schools like Clemson and Ohio State and Georgia have really ramped up the importance they've placed on getting elite DBs.

To quote Trump, this Grimes commit would be "yuuuge" for us.

Would Grimes' commitment pretty much guarantee a top 10 class? I think so, because I certainly don't see us finishing our class without at least a couple more good recruits.

OIP.0v4b3JdllkuIYrwDioxX9gHaFm

If they come so be it, if not Mack and his staff will coach what they get. Baby steps with this program look like the NCAA long jump finals. Mack is back and if the elite don't commit this year they will next year,

When this class is sophomores the defense will be flat out nasty. Assuming the heels get Grimes they can start 3 - 5 stars and 8 - 4 stars with quality depth. and experience.

Yea. VA Tech has a few crystal balls for a few top 200 D-linemen in VA. We're in a good spot right now with Dawkins. He knows we're about to get both Wilson and Grimes, needs to come on and join the fam!

My buddy seems to think that the Heels have Dawkins higher on the wish list than Page.

My buddy seems to think that the Heels have Dawkins higher on the wish list than Page.

He's 100% right. But, a lot of that has to do with Paige being hellbent on Clemson. Mack Brown is liking Dawkins' tweets. Dawkins is the guy, I've said that for a few months now. I'm dying on this mountain, we're gonna get him in Chapel Thrill.

He's 100% right. But, a lot of that has to do with Paige being hellbent on Clemson. Mack Brown is liking Dawkins' tweets. Dawkins is the guy, I've said that for a few months now. I'm dying on this mountain, we're gonna get him in Chapel Thrill.

Well my buddy said that IF both Dawkins and Page wanted to commit today and they only had one spot the Heels would take Dawkins.

Reactions: HeelFan58
Grimes now has 100% of his crystal balls, to UNC.

6 more days.
4 days and counting.

He's gonna be a Heel, I can smell it.

Just need the big DT from SC.
Smells good.

Well my buddy said that IF both Dawkins and Page wanted to commit today and they only had one spot the Heels would take Dawkins.
Sort of a moot point. The fact is it looks very likely that Page will wear orange and not baby blue. I'm already thrilled with our class and I think it's only going to get better in the next two weeks, Page or no Page.

Reactions: uncfootball-
The 1st 2021 commitment is Dontavious Nash of Gastonia Hunter Huss. Nash is a 6-2 Safety and already is a 4* recruit for at least some services. His offer list already includes Auburn and Georgia, as well as VT, WVU, Moo, Dook, and Wake.
So much has happened since @WoadBlue started this thread a year ago. I want to give Nash credit for being the cornerstone of what is turning into a program changing class. We’ve already exceeded my greatest expectations in recruiting.

Last edited:
Anybody have a time for Tony's announcement tomorrow?

George Wilson is set to announce on 7-12 so the next couple of weeks could be special for the Heels.

Last edited:
  • Guys have any of you heard anything on 2021 4 star athlete Jordan Poole? He narrowed his list to NC St.,South Carolina and Virginia Tech and was to make a decision July 1st. He tweeted tonight that there won't be a decision on the 1st and it's a business decision. Carolina's defensive coordinator Jay Bateman liked the tweet. I'm thinking an offer may be forth coming for Poole. Just wondering if you guys have heard anything.

He's a very talented prospect who is ranked the 18th "athlete" nationally. He's played RB, DB, and LB(which is where he's projected to play in college I believe). We're a little late to the game as far as his recruitment, NVSU/VT/SC have been all in on him for a long time. It is expected to be down to State and Tech. He's a State legacy as he has a cousin playing on the DL and another cousin who was a star on their DL not long ago.

The Fackers are drooling over this guy. We haven't even offered Poole as far as I can see. I doubt we're much of a contender for him but nothing would be sweeter than for us to step in at the 11th hour and steal him from NVSU and VT.

• Guys have any of you heard anything on 2021 4 star athlete Jordan Poole? He narrowed his list to NC St.,South Carolina and Virginia Tech and was to make a decision July 1st. He tweeted tonight that there won't be a decision on the 1st and it's a business decision. Carolina's defensive coordinator Jay Bateman liked the tweet. I'm thinking an offer may be forth coming for Poole. Just wondering if you guys have heard anything.
Similar to what Archer said, we haven't been in on him. But damn it would be great to pull a Clemson and "big time" Moo and VT and come in late and get him.

So much has happened since @WoadBlue started this thread a year ago. I want to give Nash credit for being the cornerstone of what is turning into a program changing class. We’ve already exceeded my greatest expectations in recruiting.
This class has become so great that Nash should be remembered as the first commitment. To have been the first guy to pledge for this class is itself a big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT